EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Are you moving to Egypt? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are you moving to Egypt?
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who here is planning to move to Egypt and where?
Who here wants to move to Egypt and why?
Who here doesnīt want it at all and why?

I would like to move to Cairo for a short time, 1-2 years, just for the adventure. I donīt know if I want to work though.

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't want to move to egypt at all.
why? because apart from the history and the weather, it holds no appeal for me.
i love anything to do with archaeology and architecture and egypt has a plethora(sp) of both.
ilike to be able to move around places without constraint and as a woman alone,its virtually impossible in egypt.
i did ask a few questions early on when i first joined ES, however after hearing lots of horror stories of how women,especially foreign women are treated i soon changed my mind about moving there.
i do applaud all the women who are moving to egypt alone, but i don't feel i have what it takes. i'm a scardy cat as the ferret club might say lol.
maybe if i had an egyptian bf/husband i would think differently who knows.

Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I moved to Egypt in 2003... primarily to work as a diving instructor, in Hurghada.
I'd already been to Egypt several times, since 1997, and fell in love with the mess, noise and chaos.
I didn't go for the men, or the architecture (no architecture in Hurghada to speak of!!)
I went for the sun, the way of life, lack of rain, (I'm from England!!)and the beautiful Red Sea!!!
I've since dived in many different parts of the world, including the South China Sea, The Emirates, and Caribbean..... none equal the Red Sea!!
I met my lovely husband in Egypt in 2006, and we moved to the USA together in 1997.
We plan to spend next winter in Hurghada and Dahab.

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, you went to the USA together 9 years before you met? [Wink]
Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
We plan to spend next winter in Hurghada and Dahab.

Wonderful, you'll be back!!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandsUpHandsDown
Member # 15410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HandsUpHandsDown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love to visit but would never move there. I love the amenities of home more!!
Posts: 246 | From: but one life to live | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
handan23
Member # 15479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for handan23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:

I would like to move to Cairo for a short time, 1-2 years, just for the adventure. I donīt know if I want to work though.

i will also move to egypt .i will marry an egyptian man.we will live in cairo.but i am a bit nervous about it.but i do not want to have prejudice.because the lifestyle comments about egypt is changing from person to person.they comment or tell according to their point of view.i want to experience own myself.
[Wink]

Posts: 44 | From: istanbul | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I am moving to Heliopolis in August.

I want to go to Egypt as I have family there and the weather eases my aches and pains. I have been receiving medical treatment/advice for 12 months from an Egyptian surgeon and aside other reasons I am ultimately going to have a back operation.

I will take a Teaching Post in the beginning but I will ultimatley work myself into a career [Big Grin] (hopefully)

Scaredy cats lol... grrr [Wink]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kokanee
Member # 15510

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kokanee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm heading back to Egypt in late September or early October. My husband is egyptian and doesn't have a great urge to live in Canada....hmmm that's a shock to me. I came back to Canada in March in order to work for a little while but found that I missed my husband a little too much. Yes...it's an adventure living in Egypt but I did get used to the way of life and am looking forward to returning. It helps that he has a great family, and I have some friends there. I am looking for some more western women, that are married to egyptians though as it is great to have english speaking friends over there.
Posts: 49 | From: Canada/Egypt | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kokanee
Member # 15510

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kokanee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be in Cairo...no where fancy, shubra and Imbaba!! Don't laugh all of you who are from Cairo I know exactly where it is....and have lived there for over 2 years.
Posts: 49 | From: Canada/Egypt | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadiyah
Member # 15227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadiyah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just moved to Cairo (Maadi) from Australia. I've been living here two months and it's the best thing I ever did in my life.

I am working as an English teacher at a language school and renting an apartment by myself. I do have an Egyptian boyfriend who I hope to marry by the end of the year, but I hardly get to see him because he is away a lot with his work.

But yeah I just wanted to point out that it's possible for a foreign woman to come here alone with no contacts and no money and build a life, I've done it! I knew no one here apart from my boyfriend (although have made some friends now), I have no Arab relatives and I don't speak Arabic at all (although I'm trying to learn.) It took me just one week to find a job and a house. So if I can do it, so can anyone!! Have faith people!

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you are quite lucky because you are a native English speaker. Easy to find a job. Does it pay well? Where in Cairo do you live?
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kokanee
Member # 15510

Rate Member
I won't be looking for work as my husband and I own a small gym, nothing special and I help him. When I was in Cairo before I had lots of people wanting me to teach english, but I really didn't have the time to devote to it.
I am really looking forward to getting back and living in Egypt again. It is all what you make of it.......

shadiyah
Member # 15227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadiyah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(To Anthropos)... Oh yeah I suppose so... never thought about that! My job doesn't pay that well because I have no experience but it pays well enough to get by and they offer a lot of perks as well, like free transport and a work permit. I live in New Maadi.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

To Kokanee, you say that Shubra and Imbaba or where you will live is nothing fancy. How do you mean? Do you wear islamic clothing? Is it hard life in those areas according to Western standards?
Kokanee
Member # 15510

Rate Member
Good for you Shadiyah! It sounds like you made the right decision. I was just fortunate that my husband had everything ready for me when I arrived and his family was also ready for me. Have to say that they have been pretty good. Guess I'm lucky. September can't come fast enough for me right now. Maadi is nice, actually much better than where I will be.
Kokanee
Member # 15510

Rate Member
These areas are not the nicest areas of Cairo, and there are very few if no western women. They are certainly not up to western standards....can be quite dirty especially Imbaba. I have worn islamic clothing in the past, but when I return I will not be doing so. My husband agrees with this and as we usually work together I shouldn't have too many problems. As I have lived there for over 2 years the locals are getting quite used to having me around and are all aware that I am the wife of.....so I don't get harrassed too much now. Yes I would say that it might be hard for some western women to adapt to living in these areas.
anthropos
Member # 9410

What do you think are the biggest challenges? I have only stayed the longest in Cairo for 3 months and I just found it very hard to adapt to, maybe if I had stayed longer I would have gotten on to a more accepting phase. I just found it very hard to accept that there can be ants allover my kitchen, occasional rat coming in of the balcony, the elevator always breaking down in the apartment building, the electricity sometimes going off, then the water! Just really challenging. Then the stares in the street, the language, feeling illiterate and de facto being so in this society. What else? I could go on and on. I was in Maadi, and that is a nice area, so you must be really strong!! You have my admiration!
Tibe-at-work
Member # 14907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe-at-work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to move to Egypt when i become rich and old [Big Grin] Seriously i love the country, the weather, the people, the food and everything BUT my kids are to small and still in school and that would also mean i hardly ever see my hubby because he would have to work 6-7 days a week 12-16 hours a day. NO THANKS. I prefer the little less exotic Denmark and the family life we are able to have here.
We have a dream of moving there when the kids have moved away from home and we have stacked money enough. [Smile]

Posts: 281 | From: Denmark | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

I know what you mean Tibe. I actually share your dream. And I agree with you 100%, with children it is better to be a middle class nobody in Scandinavia with a welfare system backing you up if things go dire. It is only possible to live well in Egypt if you are filthy rich. That is what I believe but of course I have never lived in there so I am just basing this on feeling and my short time there.
Tibe-at-work
Member # 14907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe-at-work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I know what you mean Tibe. I actually share your dream. And I agree with you 100%, with children it is better to be a middle class nobody in Scandinavia with a welfare system backing you up if things go dire. It is only possible to live well in Egypt if you are filthy rich. That is what I believe but of course I have never lived in there so I am just basing this on feeling and my short time there.

Yes and the same good relaxed feeling you have when your there on vacation will not last for a long time. Kiddos and me was there for 5― week in 2006 and we had a lot of fun but it ended up being a bit boring. Hubby was working 95% of the time and the only other friend i have /had in Hurghada was/is "Imagine" and her husband and they was working most of the time also. So there i was beach crashing, shopping and eating lunch everyday at McDonald alone with the kiddos. Got a bit tirred of it after only 2-3 weeks. Long evenings where Gabr (my husband) arrieved home tirred from work late in the evening after the kids had gopne to bed. Not a life for me.
Posts: 281 | From: Denmark | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kokanee
Member # 15510

Rate Member
My kids are grown up and have families of their own here in Canada. They have no desire to live in Egypt. At this stage in my life, it is easier for me to live in Egypt with Magdy, as I think he will have a horrible time adjusting to life in Canada...it's kind of boring here...he wouldn't have his own business...and not to mention the language barrier. When I came back to Canada the original plan was for him to come here, but he's getting cold feet....so I will go back. I know what to expect with living there. We aren't rich but we do get by and there is never a dull moment living there.
anthropos
Member # 9410

Yeah that is why people go on holiday! To get away from LIFE....staying somewhere for more than 2 or 3 weeks and LIFE starts!
shadiyah
Member # 15227

Rate Member
My biggest challenge is and always has been communicating with people. The language barrier is a huge issue. But I hope to (slowly) overcome this by learning as much Arabic as possible!

Cultural faux pas is an issue too, but you live and learn. I just try to learn by imitation, for example if I want to go to a cafe and there are no women there, then I won't go there, because it must not be appropriate. I observe the women here and do what they do. And I just dress the way everyone else does, but no hijab.

Kokanee
Member # 15510

Rate Member
You will pick up the arabic shadiyah, but it will take a little time. Use your common sense when out and about and you shouldn't have any problems. Women in coffee shops should not be a problem in Maadi...Mohandeseen, Zemelick and Nasr City....but don't go to the little 'hole in the wall shops'. I only go to those places if my husband is with me. When I get to Cairo I'll have to talk with you. It isn't all bad there and you can have a nice time.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are fine all over Egypt as long as you are respectful of culture.

I have found the more I immerse into the culture the easier it is to pick up the language, I travel and walk around a lot on my own now just so I can practise my Arabic etc...

As for work.. well I have to admit I was worried about finding work then got offered 3 jobs in a week... I didn't choose the best paying job but the most convenient to my apartment [Big Grin] I will be better off financially than in the UK as although the salary is lower my outgoings are miimal...

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So other than teaching, or working in your husbands business, what other jobs are there for western women? Even though English has always been my strongest subject, I could never teach it.
It is too early for me to say one way or another about living in Egypt, but it is still something to think about. A part of me would like the adventure, but like someone said above, after a few weeks it becomes life. Besides, if I were to have a child, I would need to be with my mum for the first few years! lol.

Congratulations to everyone who made that move, or who are going to make it. People should live their life to the fullest, no matter how scary it might seem. I hope everything works out well.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kokanee
Member # 15510

Rate Member
You could look at the hospitality industry...lots of hotels in Egypt....or check out the larger companies, esp in the oil industry. I would not recommend the medical field. I'm a dental hygienist...the offices and pay don't come close to what you would get in the west or other middle eastern countries.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
There are many agencies online you could google to look at but they pay such low salaries but it would give you an idea what is out there. I have some friends who offered me a job in a call centre if I got desperate but that would be my idea of hell on earth!

WK, I won't teach English like we had in school, I will teach the language to non english speaking children.

I will look into getting into the medical field, I don't care for the cash and I have a long time ambition to do this. The studying period is way less in Egypt and I have contacts where I can get experience, I just have to improve my Arabic.

WK, you can do anything you set your mind on chica, there are dozens of world wide companies searching for employees. Bear in mind thugh your biggest advantage you have is your mother tongue.

massenburg2008
Member # 14767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg2008         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheekyferret:

I will look into getting into the medical field The studying period is way less in Egypt

Give an example ?
Posts: 698 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Say please next time!

A Pharmacy degree takes two years in Egypt and four years in UK.

The duration for doctorates is less also, maybe by just one year but one year is one year! I am also led to believe entry qualifications in Egypt are more flexible and less stringent than in the UK. And naturally, it is cheaper.

I have the opportunity to shadow a Doctor and a Pharmacist who are both prepared to assist me if I do wish to pursue my old dream. Who knows! I need to look into it in way mre depth and look at various studying methods.

I hear that Egyptian pharmacists are ridiculed though by others in the medical profession so I need to investigate further. Once I am on my feet and the grass has started to grow under it I will pursue my investigation under the guidance of my friends currently in the medical world in Cairo [Big Grin]

massenburg2008
Member # 14767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg2008         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Say please next time!

The duration for doctorates is less also, maybe by just one year but one year is one year! I am also led to believe entry qualifications in Egypt are more flexible and less stringent than in the UK. And naturally, it is cheaper.

I have the opportunity to shadow a Doctor and a Pharmacist who are both prepared to assist me if I do wish to pursue my old dream. Who knows! I need to look into it in way mre depth and look at various studying methods.

I hear that Egyptian pharmacists are ridiculed though by others in the medical profession so I need to investigate further. Once I am on my feet and the grass has started to grow under it I will pursue my investigation under the guidance of my friends currently in the medical world in Cairo [Big Grin]

Pharmacy is a 5 year program in Egypt.
http://pharma.cu.edu.eg/
http://www.pharmj.com/students/tp2007/p32egyptian.html

The Egyptian pharmacy course leads to a BSc after five years of study. The first three years of the course at Suez Canal University focus on anatomy, biology and chemistry. The final two years introduce the student to the concept of clinical pharmacy and clinical pharmacology. Immediately after graduation, the Egyptian pharmacy student is qualified as a pharmacist and is capable of working in such a capacity.

Posts: 698 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in imbaba ,from canada to imbaba wow

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massenburg2008
Member # 14767

quote:
Originally posted by massenburg2008:
quote:
Say please next time!

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just can't teach, even if it is the basics of my own language, lol. I'm pretty clued up on short hand, but when I tried teaching my friends a few basics, I just made a mess of it.
Would be a shame having a journalism degree and not using it though- damn thing has cost me a fortune haha.
However, working in the hospitality industry would def be something to look into. But hey, like I said, still early days for me, but I like looking at every angle.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I can write a little short hand but I can't read it back lol! TF for dictaphones.

I also googled my info and got diff results but I didn't look at those Unis. I will ask my friends when we meet up and ask their advice as they can guide me to suit my lifestyle and location... I have the opportunity to watch a medical procedure as I am owed a favour so I can ask my questions then.

WK, you coud pursue your journalism, there must be doors that can be opened. I will keep my eye out for you incase something crops up.

miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep. I am moving in 19 days and counting and i cant wait. I love adventures and my god is this a big adventure.
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Bill and Ted's excellent adventure... bagsy being Ted!
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok i am cool being bill. Who is gonna play the grim wreaper. Where is the telly tubby troll [Smile]
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kokanee
Member # 15510

Rate Member
hmmm......yes egyptian7......add Shubra next to Imbaba...and don't laugh!
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
lmao... you're my dude.
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
I can write a little short hand but I can't read it back lol! TF for dictaphones.
Well, two months ago I could read and write shorthand, however it is very quickly slipping out of my mind now that I'm not having lessons- darn, I miss being able to write secret notes, see, now I have to learn arabic lol.

--------------------
Another one....

miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
quote:
lmao... you're my dude.

Sweet!!!
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
That's me expressing my emotions... I need a lie down after that.
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
haha could have been worse, you could have called me your B1TCH!! hha

Go lay down and recover. I think i need bed soon. I havent slept for a while and Jill will get bossy and send me to bed if my writing gets all messed up again haha.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Would I ever use such language! I'm a lady!

I haven't slept much lately, I will try tonight as well.. I have had a couple of beers so I should have a nice little sleepy [Big Grin]

massenburg2008
Member # 14767

quote:

I also googled my info and got diff results but I didn't look at those Unis. I will ask my friends when we meet up and ask their advice as they can guide me to suit my lifestyle and location... I have the opportunity to watch a medical procedure as I am owed a favour so I can ask my questions then.

I am sorry, but pharmacy is a five year program in Egypt period.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
No need to be sorry....

I happen to have read differently and I have been informed personally by many medical professionals based in Cairo that it is a shorter period than in the UK.

Argue and post links all you please, my life is WAY to short to bicker about things that can be googled [Big Grin]

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All we are is dust in the wind dude.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
No need to be sorry....

I happen to have read differently and I have been informed personally by many medical professionals based in Cairo that it is a shorter period than in the UK.

Argue and post links all you please, my life is WAY to short to bicker about things that can be googled [Big Grin]

Also, I am only looking into it as it is not where my heart lies but I have been in numerous discussions and once I am back in Cairo I can explore deeper. I may just choose to do an OU course in medical physics and work alongside it.

The world is my oyster and the options are vast and all available info on web engines differs. I will ask my friends in the know who can clearly offer me a better deal.

BTW, did I tell you I am going to be observing a 'procedure' in theatre as a thankyou for some private work I did for my friend in Cairo.. it isn't what you know, it is def who you know [Big Grin]

Happy googling.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com