EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Tivoli Dome, Heliopolis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tivoli Dome, Heliopolis
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help!
I am going there and I don't have a clue where it is.
People have given me directions but as someone who is almost clueless about that area of town, they refer to landmarks with which I am completely unfamilar or streets which seem to be 10km long or which don't appear on my map.
Does anyone have an online map they can point me at that shows me where it is?
The only one I found seems to put it almost on top of City Stars which can't be right?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use Google Earth,

If its where I think just put..... 70 Omar Ibn El Khatab Almaza ....in the search and you can then get a visual reference. Its very close to the main bus station for buses to Alex, Sharm etc

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm - checked Google Maps as I don't have Google Earth and it puts it near the junction of Merghani with Nozha. Another friend has just told me that its near the intersection of Merghani with El Thawra - I think I'm going to cry.

I better shoulder up my bergie and stick a bivvie bag in there [Wink] I've a feeling it's going to turn into a saga.

I don't want to just get a taxi when i have no clue where I'm going in case they take me on an expensive sight-seeing tour!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never been there and hubby had no idea, so I did a google search, which I'm sure you already did and came up with these links, but posting just in case. [Smile]

picture

map image

mentions that it's on the tram line?

Hope you manage to find it okay.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Thanks LO - hm that's a 3rd Location for it and nowhere near the first two !!!!

(I did google earlier but couldn't get yallabina to load up - my net's on a go slow til 1st May when the speed goes up again).

I think I shall have to resort to asking a friend whose also going to meet me at a better spot not in the restaurant.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanta, Google clearly pinpoints the road. If you come from downtown Salah Salem St. which turns into Oroba St. (Airport Rd). you just ask for Omar Ibn El Khatab St. It's a pretty big one. Any local taxi driver will now it.

Additionally the part of Omar Ibn El Khatab St. you want to go to is in between Al Nozha St. and Al Horriyya St. You can ask for Midan Almaza which is located on Omar Ibn El Khatab St. and go north.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SQ..all you need to do is go to 70 Omar Ibn el Khattab street..that's where the 7 buildings are, its called saba3 3emarat in arabic if you can pronounce that right..there's a metro that goes there its the nozha one from Heliopolis club going to saba3 3emarat, any cab driver from heliopolis club will take you to Omar Ibn el Khattab, no big deal Shanta..where's Ferret our Heliopolis correspondent when we need her. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I have no clue where Heliopolis Club is [Frown] I went there once in the dark in a car with someone else over a year ago. All I know in Heliopolis is Roxy / Korba.

TL = that is a very very long road stretching from near City Stars right up to Nozha.

I will be starting in Korba because I have an earlier appointment there.

Well when I finally find it I will clarify which of the 3 different locations I have 100% been given is it!

OK I've just realised when people say Heliopolis Club they mean BCA Heliopolis. If not what do you mean? Do you mean Almaza Club which is on my map?

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No SQ.. [Roll Eyes] Heliopolis club is Nadi Heliopolis..don't mess things up, now all you have to do is tell the cab driver (white metered) to take you to midan almaza..from roxy or from korba it won't make any difference, then once you're there you'll see the Tivoli thing ..piece a cake..no conspiracy in the matter at all. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Ok so where is Helipolis Club so I can mark it on the map?

Anyway, you know I'm allergic to taking a cab when I've got shank's pony [Wink]

These are the nadis on my map:

Nadi al SHams
Nadi al Nasr
Nadi al Ghaba
Nadi al Zubat
Nadi al Tayaren
Almaza Club

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
None of the above..its Heliopolis Sporting Club, nadi heliobolis in arabic, takes you straight to korba if you give your back to the gate.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Yes, DZ But where's the Gate!!!!

LOL - if it's so big and important and obvious why isn't it on the map? (boo hoo cry)

For the sake of argument: let's say I am standing in Midan Heliopolis (which is on my map). Where is Heliopolis Club?

I don't know that area of town at all, so please be incredibly specific.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
What map ? [Confused] look at the metro line going all the way down to merghani street that's where the gate is..what map ? Sporting Club next to roxy area.. [Razz]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

OK I'm going to scan up the maps and then you can tell me in exactly which box.

By Merghani do you just mean the tiny little bit near the gas station which is Al merghani on my map or do you mean the whole many km long strip called al sayyid al merghani.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
I'm using dial up since I'm not in Cairo for the moment so just put the maps and I'll do what I can.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm on dialup speed too for another 2 days [Frown]

Will add links when I've uploaded.

First pic - is the Heliopolis Club in square G3 opposite this Qut Al Uraba place?

http://i40.tinypic.com/xy90z.jpg

Second pic - I believe Tivoli Dome is somewhere on this page!

http://i42.tinypic.com/wgwyro.jpg

Omar EL Khuttab Street naturally falls in the crease [Razz] bottom on this page where it hits El Sawra (Thawra) is in square 7H. It goes north on the page up to square 5H where it veers off to the left stretching up through 4G 3F 2E.

(PS I would just like to say that when I used to go on those management training courses where they would blindfold someone and someone else had to talk them round an obstacle course, everyone used to beg for me to be the 'talker' because I was incredibly specific and made zero assumptions!)

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Yes, this is it..now there's a minibus number 40 from opposite the club that'll take you to almaza sq. you must tell them 'ana awza anzil fi midan almaza'..and that's where Tivoli should be..or use the merghani tram if you're not in a hurry. [Big Grin]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Thank you [Big Grin]
You have made me a very happy woman [Big Grin]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ana hena!!!

I can offer no further advice than what Dzosser has given.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Just to note for those watching in black and white:

The regular underground metro system does not go here.

What we have is the tram system.

However, it is often referred to by Egyptians as Heliopolis Overground Metro. This can cause confusion in foreigners.

The tram system runs parallel to the regular metro (Helwan-El Marg line) starting from Ramses Station (Mubarak metro then come outside) to around Kobri El Korba station I think, and then it diverges off on it's own sweet way.

Trams between Ramses and Roxy are pretty frequent. They diverge around Roxy and service becomes much less frequent. A friend and I did try to ride to the end of the line once but we thought we were there and weren't. Ho hum!

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
I'm not good at giving directions in heliopolis since I know it by looks and never knew street names..all my life I've been driving there without knowing what street I'm in..when I'm lost, I call any of my helio friends to give me directions. [Big Grin]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also to note SQ... if you go down Mirghany away from the Sporting Club towards the Mirghany Bridge you will notice that the overground lines have been ripped up and work on the underground has began. So most websites re trams in Heliopolis are now incorrect.

I know land marks and tbh, taxi drivers don't know street names... every day I travel in and around Heliopolis and I ask for the closest Midan for example and give directions myself from there.. far easier than him stopping every three ft to ask others something even they don't know lol.

Taxi drivers here really don't have 'the knowledge'.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Imagine if they had to do the knowledge!!!

When I do take a taxi home to mine, most of them haven't heard of where I live even if they say they have, so I always tell them to head for Dreampark which most of them know and then direct them from there.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
And I am watching in black and white, I noticed you there behind me in the pink [Wink]

Do you recall the time I asked for KFC on Mirghany and he took me to McDonalds... his theory was he thought I was just hungry, never dawned on him I wanted to go that direction lol...

Anyways, I hope you find it ok and you are stress free.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

By the way I am just as clueless when it comes to Maadi. People who live in Maadi think everything is 'obvious' but it is one of the most confusing places on this planet!

Actually, for the newbie, being in Maadi is like being caught in a fractal.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I get confused there too but tbh, the more I go the more things look familiar instead of generic.

Having 12 florists around each island confuses me the most.

And remembering road names is way easier than remembering random numbers I find!!!

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Yeah funny - actually, they're a lot like my parents - make assumptions that are fundamentally flawed - like when I asked my mum to get me a bottle of clear nail varnish (to stick the ladders in my tights up of course - obvious [Wink] ) and she bought me a coloured one instead because she thought it looked nicer [Roll Eyes]

I'm so cheapskate though that if I take a metered cab to mine, I get them to drop me off at the main entrance off the El Wahat instead of driving me to my door (unless of course I have a load of shopping or luggage) to save a couple of LE.

I'm allowed to say crap like 'watching in b&w' and 'old money' and 'new money' coz I'm a right Oldbag now and if they hadn't changed the rules in the UK 3 weeks ago, I could now be a pensioner (employer scheme not state scheme btw!) so now I have to wait another 5 years.

Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My office is across the road from Tivoli, when are you going and do you want me to take you. Its on the same road as city stars, but its a bloody long road so from city stars its about a 10 min walk, if yoru coming into roxy, get a taxi to Almaza, Omar Ibn Khattab street, its nnear to Oscar supermarket which all know in the area.
Tivoli is fairly new to the area, if your here sunday i can take you and show you.. catch you later!

Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanta really recommend you download google earth for this sort of thing ( when you have got speed again LOL). It gives you a photographic image and all the street names are marked, makes it very easy to visualise where you are going and it will plot routes between places for you.

Let us know what Tivoli is like as often stay at the hotel Horeya which is very close to there.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I find Google earth to be an excellent tool if you kinda know where you are going. I love how I can find my house in Heliopolis, technology is amazing.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Thanks Mrs H I went yesterday before I saw your message [Big Grin]
I ended up with the friend I met yesterday afternoon giving me a lift from Baghdad st to Tivoli thank goodness because its MILES away!!!!

I did have google earth but following a major (sef-induced) computer disaster 2 weeks ago have had to completely rebuild my 'puter from scratch.

As the man says - the complete text of "Registry for Dummmies" is "don't edit the registry" [Razz]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
And ?? What was Tivoli like SQ ? [Confused]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Tivoli Dome is a mass of different eating houses from Burger King to Noodle House to Outback Steakhouse. We went to Craven restaurant and the food was very nice. Mine came to 120LE but that's because I had this special desert (which I let the others share a bit with me [Wink] )

It was very lively - on the whole a 'young' crowd around the place. Obviously the place to go for the twenty somethings.

Was particularly busy getting on for midnight.

We left at 12:30 (old time, 0130 new time) and it was beginning to thin out a little by then.

Nice if you want a choice of eateries. There is a Chilis opposite (but NOT the Chilis on Al Sawara St).

Don't ask me how to get there because I abdicated all responsibility but it was about 15 mins drive in the car from the Baghdad St area. One of the women with us lives near there and she said it wasn't far from City Stars so there you go.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
So this sounds more like a hangout for the coming generation (in majority)..good to know SQ, thanks. [Wink]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Yes, though there were a few old fogeys there, not just our little group [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com