EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Dreams of living in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dreams of living in Egypt
kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for kashapops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does any one have plans to move to Egypt?

I know Aksher/Debbie already live there

It would be interesting to hear people's dreams of one day living in Egypt - and how they are trying to achieve their dream

Posts: 100 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kashapops,

My plan for 2005 is to live at least 6 months in Egypt, and 6 months in Canada.

How am I going to achieve it? it's a 'pack and go deal'!

My work is portable mind you, so I'm a lucky bugger!

Good luck to all, and try to find a portable job where you can be based anywhere, even on a beach!

I can just imagine the beaches of Sharm Hurghada and Alexandria, with all Egypt Lovers from ES (!)with their laptop, working and enjoying Egypt.

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by kashapops:

It would be interesting to hear people's dreams of one day living in Egypt - and how they are trying to achieve their dream

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for kashapops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Monica
Lovely to hear your plans - hope they go well.
We are hoping to do exactly that starting next winter - but have to get house/stuff sorted before I can do that. Are you going to rent a flat?
Kas

Posts: 100 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

Here is the 2005 plan:

1- stay with family for a month or so [they insist]
2- stay with friends for a month or so [they insist]
While
3- finding a flat/buy/rent

OR

4- marry a kind and decent Egyptian man

Who knows???

Did you find a flat? which area? My family is located in Heliopolis, and my friends are mostly located in Maadi. I love Alexandria though. So, I may be settling in Heliopolis eventually, but spending week-ends in Alex once in a while...in that frame of mind.

Good luck to you too!
Monica

quote:
Hi Monica
Lovely to hear your plans - hope they go well.
We are hoping to do exactly that starting next winter - but have to get house/stuff sorted before I can do that. Are you going to rent a flat?
Kas

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for kashapops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not got that far yet Monica!

We have a family who live near Tanta - we have stayed with them - although we had the top part of their house . They are so kind to us and offered us to stay long term. We hesitate because although we love spending time with them we also feel we want our own space too and I think that may be difficult to achieve.
Yes Alex would be nice - not been there yet!!
Kas

Ganesha
Member # 1733

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ganesha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Kashapops and Monica,

I have this kind of plan for 2005, too ! Even sooner, if I can !
1/Divorce
2/Find a job in Cairo or Alexandria (I work in the shipping biz)
3/Leave France for living in Egypt

My final aim is to work, or to be volunteer, once in Egypt, for a local NGO for women condition or children education. Don't get me wrong : I'm not a militant for non-veiled women (I know that France got a bad reputation on it !). I just have a real interest for Egyptian society. I want to know, I want to understand, I want to help, if I can. I really love Egypt and egyptians...even if I have no egyptian to love me !
I want to try a new life, the life I have been dreaming of for years.

I am maybe a bit naive..

Tell me your feelings about that.
Bye
Ganesha.

Posts: 16 | From: Marseilles, France | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi Ganesha,

You can check USAID Egypt or the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) Egypt, and see if you qualify. They have ongoing projects that could probably interest you.

The Canadian International Development Agency, is always recruiting volonteers and staff.

About having an interest in Egyptian Society, and you being in France there's a good cultural centre in Paris, and I believe it's : 'Le centre culturel Arabe'

Bonne chance.
Monica

kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Hi Ganesha
You're dreams are important. I don't think you are naive at all. I wish you well.
You say you are happy to work or volunteer - so that's a good way of leaving your options open.

The very first time I visited Egypt I too wanted to understand, was so curious about the people, how they live and so on,
Modern day Egypt is as important as all the historical areas of Egypt
I can't tell you how much it is dear to my heart. It satisfies some thing deep within me. They have so little in Western terms but they are so generous in spirit, no mean hearts, always hospitable and find ways of enjoying them selves even when financial means are so limited and of course no state help. It's amazing how close the family unit is.
I know I am seeing thru' Western eyes and there are negative things but I can't change that except absorb as much as I can. It's an opportunity to rethink my values
I feel dissatisfied with this country - you walk down the street and every one looks so miserable, most probably are. Rushing to do this and that and still moan about why they can't fit this and that in to their lives, not enough money to buy the latest gadgets etc etc.
AND of course the dreaded weather here in the UK

Monica
You are so full of useful information - I am impressed.
I hope all goes well with your plans
Kas

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear kashapops,

You really made me laugh.....the expression 'you are so full of...' just cracked me up...

I'm happy to share information, hoping to help out!

So, your remark is really appreciated!

Thanks, and I wish you the best too.
Monica

quote:
Monica
You are so full of useful information - I am impressed.
I hope all goes well with your plans
Kas

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 02 March 2004).]

Ganesha
Member # 1733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganesha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kashapops !
What a pleasure to meet somebody feeling the same than me !
On reading you, it was just as if I was reading my own words. I have been in Egypt three times and am preparing to return next april or may. I know now a small hotel in Talaat Harb where I can stay as if I was in a family...I feel there more at ease than in my own family. And I know there are lots of negative things in Egyptian life, or difficulties, but I really want to try it. I feel now that I need warmth, should it be weather or human. I live in Marseilles, south France, and it's not as cold as UK, and weather is often sunny. But I feel such a coldness between people...I suffer from not being close from human/life reality. Maybe I'll speak another way after 6 months in Cairo :-()?!

And about the NGO's, Monica, thanks a lot for your precious informations. I'm will try them. And when I am in Egypt, I will also try to contact other egyptian associations. I think they are closer from people concerns than occidental ones.

Thanks again for your replies !
Bye,
Ganesha.

Posts: 16 | From: Marseilles, France | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wacobaco
Member # 3640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wacobaco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ganesha, kashapops, Monica.. i don't want to appear so sentimental, but, really whenever i'm reading such words about Egypt and Egyptians, i feel as if tears come to my eye..as if i want to translate ur nice words and publish it in our national newspaper (widely read by most of the Egyptians) .. maybe those Egyptians who don't like their country, complaining about this or that, and don't find one single thing to praise, after reading such words would appreciate what they really have, or maybe because u r foreigners u like it ? but here Monica comes to disprove such allegation .. keep on such feelings guys, and i'll be happy to contact u all ..bye

Posts: 66 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ganesha
Member # 1733

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganesha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Wacobaco,
this is probably because I am a foreigner and I didn't try to live in Egypt yet ...maybe I'll be disappointed. But I feel that I have some kind of story to find back in Egypt, and I'm sure that this country will overjoy my life. I know some egyptian people who are doubtful about my feelings after 6 months or one year there. They got a bad view on their country and imagine they could be happier in western countries, and in France f.i. To these people I say that life in western country is hard, that France is surely not a country for foreigners, and with our better salaries, we seem to be richer, but in fact, we lost our links to what's essential. Egyptian people are maybe more poor with money, but richer with something else and they manage to be happy when we are still dragging our saucepans.
That's why my feet are scraping and as soon as I find a decent job in Egypt, I will pack and live everything. Some people do it to India...I think I have found my "Nirvana" !
Bye
Ganesh

wacobaco
Member # 3640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wacobaco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear Ganesha, reading ur word remind me of something, when we egyptians r talking about the West and East, and some were saying..enough 4 us our spiritual strength, which west people lack, some would think this is just a motto, or even worse..we r saying so just to solace our weakness or poor comparing the West, but here u r, coming to prove that this is not empty or traditional words we r saying to justify our state..u r saying it is true, even i think u r young (so u didn't got all the advantages of western life) then u fedup with what u achieved..I mean maybe materialistic people when get their aim after long life full of work, efforts, and lack of emotions and spirituals, and reaching a certain age they would stop and think of the target of all that ..then disbelieve of all they believed in before ..and it is the turning point of their lives to search for spirituals wherever it is, but I think ..this is not the case with u..u r still young ..still searching for Eastern-spirituals lacked in th West .. (again i'm not generalizing according to one case) .. BUT we all have to remember .."there is no heaven on earth" .. go ahead dear, the privilege west can give u..ur freedom to go to east or wherever u like to find ur true self .. a luxury ..maybe not all easterners can afford .. as for india and that "touchy topic" called religion...it is an other thing..need another talk...
Posts: 66 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ganesha
Member # 1733

Rate Member
Dear Wacobaco,
I would be very happy to carry on this discussion via email. If you are interested, just send me your email address.
Anyway...
When I talked about Nirvana, it was exagerated, of course (I'm from south France and we always exagerate everything !)
I'm not as young as you imagine, by the way, this is true : I have not really lived and this is maybe why I seem so young. If I had to sum up my last 12 years, I would use one word : business, again and again. And now I feel I got to do something with my life and try something else. And if it doesn't work, if reality is not what I imagined, well, too bad ! At least, I won't have the frustration of not having tried ! I think it is always possible to come back, even if it's harder. But I have to do it now, otherwise, I will carry this regret during all my life, and if I have kids, I will transmit this frustration to them. That's why I think of changing all my life. Sometimes, you are making mistakes, you believe the way of everybody can be your own way. I discovered that society had put more pressure on me than I thought, and that my way is different. At least, I have tried. I have no regret. I can see two lessons, for the moment : I'm not made for wedding, and I'm not made for shark business.
That's a first review !

Bye
Ganesha.

wacobaco
Member # 3640

Rate Member
hi Ganesha, sorry for being late answering ur post but, usually i'm off line in my weekend, sure i'll be very happy to exchange via mail, mine is bacowaco2@yahoo.com, please feel free to send me whenever u like, as for ur words, i thought that maybe there r common feelings that some people with specific age, whoever or wherever they r, can share, meaning for ex : maybe all teenagers all over the world feel that their parents r trying to control their lives, wherever those teenagers r, or the sure-different environment among them, or other example, those who r in their 30th feel after working hard for sometimes, they would spend all their lives in vain, without enjoying a bit, whatsoever their jobs, their nationalities, their circumstances..am i right? could it be really true ? as i feel the same feeling u r talking about, even i'm sure there r many many different things between us, not only being in France or Egypt, or having different way of bringing up, or ..don't know..do u agree with that ? waiting for ur answer (without such a southern French Exaggeration..hahaha)
Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plunkett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have a dream to live in Egypt. But the question is how? I need to find a job that will pay me a salary in UKŁ or US$ to pay off the debts that I leave behind. Any ideas?

If so, please make your suggestions

quote:

Posts: 107 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Ganesha, I wish you so much luck for a new start in life and for your future .......

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I envy all of you , at least you have a plan for 2005. I want to go but have no idea when !

I guess I should aim for 2008 ( too far still)

cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kawsar
Member # 3177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawsar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my dream to emigrate has come true twelve years ago
and now egypt belongs to me like i was born here.
spending my holdidays in germany with my family there, i´m convinced too much, that the decision to leave was right.

that´s what i always have to say about egypt, and that´s what i always will say- insha allah.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maya38000
Member # 3737

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for maya38000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came in Egypt 4 time and this country is now in my heart. I like the people, the weather, the history, all... Now that my life is changed I would move to Egypt, but I don't know how! Please someone can help this sad girl??

Posts: 2 | From: ITALY | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
francy
Member # 7378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for francy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

.. SE CI SEI RIUSCITA DICO AD ANDARE IN EGITTO DIMMI COME E CHE LAVORO HAI TROVATO.. VADO OGNI 3 MESI PER UNA SETTIMANA E IN AGOSTO PER 3 E SONO INNAMORATA DI QUESTO POSTO.. MI SCIRVI CHE CI METTIAMO IN CONTATTO? TI VA.. SPERO DI SI..
GRAZIE PER LA RISPOSTA..
CIAO
F.

Posts: 6 | From: ITALY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
american gal
Member # 7382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for american gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Maya! I'm new to this board. I'll be moving to Egypt in July to get married to my fiance (we met while he was in the states) and I'll be teaching at an American-International school. A year ago, when he returned to Egypt, I had no idea how this would all work out but it has! Don't give up on your dreams, no matter what they are and no matter what others think/say!!!

quote:
Originally posted by maya38000:
I came in Egypt 4 time and this country is now in my heart. I like the people, the weather, the history, all... Now that my life is changed I would move to Egypt, but I don't know how! Please someone can help this sad girl??

Posts: 44 | From: Massachusetts - U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tombsman
Member # 2841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tombsman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys and gals
these r job sites in egypt: www.skill-link.com www.bayt.com www.wazefty.com www.thejobmasters.com www.careeregypt.com www.egyrec.com www.jobsinegypt.com

and these are accomodation sites: www.e-dar.com www.betna.com

if u need further help, email me at: tombsman@hotmail.com

Posts: 48 | From: 6 october, giza, egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
american gal, Which school will you be working at? Was it very difficult to find a job at an international school? Did you talk to the schools directly or use one of the overseas job companies? I have been seriously condsidering teaching in Egypt for a few years, but I have never been there and feel I should visit this summer or in December. I just feel like something in my life is missing and I need an adventure. I am attracted to Egypt because of the laid back lifestyle and the close knit families. I would love to email and discuss some more private issues. Please contact me: Amberdianne@hotmail.com

quote:
Originally posted by american gal:
Hello, Maya! I'm new to this board. I'll be moving to Egypt in July to get married to my fiance (we met while he was in the states) and I'll be teaching at an American-International school. A year ago, when he returned to Egypt, I had no idea how this would all work out but it has! Don't give up on your dreams, no matter what they are and no matter what others think/say!!!

Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee
Member # 3313

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hi

I too had planned to follow my dream and live in Egypt (Luxor) even if it was only for 6 months, and was determined to do it this year but as usual things never go the way they are planned, money been the problem as usual, but im still am hoping to stay for at least 3 months when i go in june, so if anybody knows of a decent flat at a reasonable rent for that time i would be grateful for any help. thanks

Posts: 11 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medhat
Member # 6648

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Medhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving back to Egypt this year:
I have been away from Egypt for 30 years. Finally made the decision to retire and go back home. It feels so good to read how many people are enthusiastic about going to Egypt, and I feel so lucky to have a family and friends waiting for me there after all these years.

Posts: 7 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
almarshall
Member # 6272

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for almarshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ganesha, if you're interested in human rights organizations, you might check eohr.org : )
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
american gal
Member # 7382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for american gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi FairyDust! Finding a job was easy as I've been teaching in the states for several years and I went through a search agency that held a recruiting fair right here in Boston. I'll email you some more info.
quote:
Originally posted by FairyDust:
american gal, Which school will you be working at? Was it very difficult to find a job at an international school? Did you talk to the schools directly or use one of the overseas job companies? I have been seriously condsidering teaching in Egypt for a few years, but I have never been there and feel I should visit this summer or in December. I just feel like something in my life is missing and I need an adventure. I am attracted to Egypt because of the laid back lifestyle and the close knit families. I would love to email and discuss some more private issues. Please contact me: Amberdianne@hotmail.com

Posts: 44 | From: Massachusetts - U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeAgift
Member # 7143

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeAgift     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planning to live in Egypt too.

My ideal plan would be to work as a maternal child health practitioner. Also considering promoting alternative health buisness and living Bicontinentally.

We are minimizing our current living standards her in the US.

After we get 2 of our 5 children off to college we should be able to at least visit Egypt two times a year. Summers and Ramadan.

Might consider relocating sooner so that younger children can have a stronger family connection and be immersed in the Arabic language and Egyptian culture.

We enjoy our USA existence, just hate the hustle bustle. Looking forward to the more communal and relaxed lifestyle of living among family in Zagazig.

With regret I have student loan debts to pay.
I incurred these before reverting to islam and hope, inshallah to eleviate them soon.

We have almost enough equity in our home to live in Egypt for 15 months without working or modifying our lifestyle much. But then what?!?!?! So we continue to minimize and plan. Hoping I can work for the ministry of health, USAID, WHO or somewhere that pays in US dollars, that way we can do well in Egypt and maintain our home in the states plus pay misc bills.

Studying arabic daily too. So i can market myself as a English speaker fluent in Arabic, and Spanish(if there is a need).

My husband came to the states for more opportunity and income. More than a decade later he hasconcluded that he already had what he really needed. A family who loves him, a community of shared faith and the ability to enjoy life and work, not work just to live.

Posts: 42 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mara
Member # 2693

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mara   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganesha:
Dear Kashapops and Monica,

I have this kind of plan for 2005, too ! Even sooner, if I can !
1/Divorce
2/Find a job in Cairo or Alexandria (I work in the shipping biz)
3/Leave France for living in Egypt

My final aim is to work, or to be volunteer, once in Egypt, for a local NGO for women condition or children education. Don't get me wrong : I'm not a militant for non-veiled women (I know that France got a bad reputation on it !). I just have a real interest for Egyptian society. I want to know, I want to understand, I want to help, if I can. I really love Egypt and egyptians...even if I have no egyptian to love me !
I want to try a new life, the life I have been dreaming of for years.

I am maybe a bit naive..

Tell me your feelings about that.
Bye
Ganesha.

Hi Ganesha,
Come for a holiday...come for what you may believe is "love"....come for any reason you choose....but before you come ask yourself the question "what's in it for me?" Don't come for what you perceive you can "give". Redeemers get crucified. Don't get me wrong I am a christian and believe in Jesus Christ! Egypt doesn't need "rescuing" or "charity" and if you come with those thoughts....you WILL get burnt! Be clear about what you WANT! And you can only genuinely give anything when you possess it first yourself.....hope you take my message in the spirit I intend it!
Blessings!

Posts: 29 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that this year I wish visit Egypt for the first time...it's just a plan

Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com