EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » How are Egyptians accepted in Europe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How are Egyptians accepted in Europe?
Jutta
Member # 3620

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jutta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One alternative my boyfriend and me are thinking of, is to live together in Germany, instead of Egypt.
I know: please dont post anything about "He only wants to have the VISA" I know that this is a risk and that can be the only reason to be together with me. I know already, so dont write about this again and again.
I am asking about any experiences which you or Egyptians already had with working and living in Europe.
How difficult was it to find a job?
How is your impression about being accepted in the society?
How is your feeling living in the European society together with a european partner?
How do you handle the daily routine, e.g. his times for praying etc.?

Posts: 53 | From: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick1
Member # 3092

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by homesick1 (edited 12 March 2004).]

Posts: 61 | From: ca | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I can tell you that it will be extremly difficult to get a work vis to Europe even if you are married.
To get a Shengen tourist visa is not too difficult but the visa is for max 90 days and it does not allowe to work.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jutta: Maybe once you actually get to know this man you will be able to decide yourself if he is the sort of person who would adapt to life in a Western country. I can only speak for England but yes it is possible for a VISA to be granted but it takes a long time and will only be granted where it can be shown there is a full legal marriage and you can prove a solid basis to your relationship. Here a full settlement VISA entitles you to a work permit. Realistically you need to be at least 2 years into a full legal marriage. Just one other point you may find your man gets a little upset at being refered to as your boyfriend.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karinfarid
Member # 3352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karinfarid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear Jutta,

I have a number of Austrian friends who are living with their Egypt. husbands in Austria, mostly in Vienna and at the beginning of my marriage my husband and I did also contemplate on living there.

Today I'm very glad and happy we did not move there, for a lot of different reasons.

Now speaking about my friends: their husbands were already living in Austria, when they met and they got married there. Today, after they spent 12-15 years there, they all want only one thing: to go back to Egypt (or to their other native countries) with their families. Why?

e.g. The husband of one of my best friends speaks German fluently, he is a certified Accountant in German and Arabic, got computer certificates in German - and still, the only jobs he gets are the low-level worker jobs, because he is a foreigner. Given the current high unemployement rate in Austria, (the German as well for sure) it is very very difficult to find a decent job for someone who already speaks German, not to mention someone who still has to learn it.

Since the kids started to grow up, the last chance to move is when school starts naturally, and I have a number of friends who are living in Egypt with their children, while their husbands are actually working and living in Austria, to support their families here and in the hope to save money enough to buy a flat and to find a good job in Egypt, this going on for years - now isn't that weird?

Egyptians are a proud people, they don't know resentments against foreigners in Egypt and they are shocked and humiliated by the treatment they experience from a lot of the Europeans. There are always exceptions and great, open-minded people there, but the majority still feels threatened by those foreigner, their strange culture (whereas they associate culture with any negative things they hear about Islam, treatment of women, etc.)

At the beginning the men will accept anything because they know that every beginning is hard and difficult, they will compromise on their religious commitment, starting with they pray, because you just can't go off to pray during work.

Too many end up depressed and frustrated, estranged from themselves and their religion, and after a few years of struggle, mostly when they have children growing up, many do a 'reality check' and remember that they have to raise their kids as Muslims, and they realize this will be very hard, if not impossible there. I talk only about the people I know, and things maybe different in other parts of Europe or in the countryside.

Now they would like to come back to raise their children in Egypt, but now they are used to a standard of life that is also very difficult to keep in Egypt with a regular income, it is now the problem to find that good-paid job, an affordable flat and a good school.

If you want my advice, before you get married, come to stay in Egypt for a while, get to know the country and the people and the culture, try to imagine if you could one day live in any of those places, because the chances are very high that you'll end up thinking about moving back here in a few years.

But again, this is only my humble personal opinion. Whatever you'll do, I wish you all the best for the future.

salam, Karin

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutta
Member # 3620

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jutta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Penny,

in Germany it's slightly different. When you are legally married, you are married and he is your husband and can get a work permit. But he has to find a company which gives him something like a certificate, that says, that he is the best qualified person for the job and no German can do this job better than him. For my boyfriend for example this will work, if he finds a job in an Arabian /Egyptian Specialty Restaurant, as he is a cook. So this might work.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Jutta: Maybe once you actually get to know this man you will be able to decide yourself if he is the sort of person who would adapt to life in a Western country. I can only speak for England but yes it is possible for a VISA to be granted but it takes a long time and will only be granted where it can be shown there is a full legal marriage and you can prove a solid basis to your relationship. Here a full settlement VISA entitles you to a work permit. Realistically you need to be at least 2 years into a full legal marriage. Just one other point you may find your man gets a little upset at being refered to as your boyfriend.

Posts: 53 | From: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jutta:
Hi Penny,

in Germany it's slightly different. When you are legally married, you are married and he is your husband and can get a work permit. But he has to find a company which gives him something like a certificate, that says, that he is the best qualified person for the job and no German can do this job better than him. For my boyfriend for example this will work, if he finds a job in an Arabian /Egyptian Specialty Restaurant, as he is a cook. So this might work.

Jutta it's interesting to learn the difference between the countries even though we are all part of the EC. England probably has a much longer history as a muti cultural society and the recent opening up the EC to the eastern block countries has really highlighted the differences. Most EC countries have have put a block on migrant workers whereas the UK had not done so but is in a bit of a panic now. Sorry gone off Egyptian topics so better stop.
All the best

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiscoverEgypt
Member # 3212

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for DiscoverEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Penny

I was just wondering are you speaking from experience- I would love to know more, I am currently with an Egyptian boyfriend, and obviously we would want to be together either her in England or I would move to Egypt, we still need to discuss it in some detail. Thinking perhaps live in England first and set ourselves up and then move to Egypt, with a suitable amount of savings.

I was just wondering when you got married did you have to live apart for 2 years before a visa was given? for residency how did the whole thing work out and what kind of proof did you have to provide to prove your stable and solid relationship. Ours at the moment is all phone call, sms and my visits to Egypt and his visit to UK?

If you could share any information I would be very grateful

Thanks

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penny:
I can only speak for England but yes it is possible for a VISA to be granted but it takes a long time and will only be granted where it can be shown there is a full legal marriage and you can prove a solid basis to your relationship.

[This message has been edited by DiscoverEgypt (edited 03 March 2004).]

Posts: 11 | From: London, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am about to throw a cat amongst the pigeons!
I am a regular reader of Egyptsearch and felt that I wanted to contradict some of the info here.
I am married to an Egyptian and he has a UK Settlement visa.
We were orfi married for a period of time, had a Civil marriage in Cairo on the 4th of the month, applied for a uk Visa on the 9th of the month , had an interview for the visa on the 23rd of the same month , was appoved on the same day. Departed for the UK on the 8th of the following month and he had a job within 7 days of arriving in the country.

So in total within 6 weeks of applying for the visa he was in paid employment in the UK.

This certainly was not easy and one thing I want to stress is that Immigration officers are human like the rest of us and can be narrow minded like the rest of us. I can bet that if a 55 year old British Women walks into the British Embassy in Cairo with a 25 year old Egyptian Citizen
and applies for a visa they will be declined.This is not my opinion but what I have witnessed.
I do not want to disrespect anybody or provide information to young women that believe that they are in a respectable relationship yet are not. Therefore Discover Egypt if you want to discuss this in more detail, please feel free to email me.

[This message has been edited by claire_1237 (edited 03 March 2004).]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiscoverEgypt
Member # 3212

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for DiscoverEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Clare

Thanks for this I was beginning to wonder what kind of future we might face if penny's example was typical of immigrations. I would like to email you - what's you address.
With me and my guy he is 30 and I'm 28 - neither of us have been married before. I have been over there twice and am going again soon, and he hopes to come over here for a month in summer on visitors visa. We haven't discussed marriage yet but are both serious about each other and so was I interested in the experiences other UK girls had had, with marrying Egyptians and problems they had faced.

Thanks for the offer Clare look forward to speaking with you.

Posts: 11 | From: London, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Hi Just to say I do not think there is such a thing as a typical situation. Claire's example was an extremely lucky one. I do not speak from personal experience but from true life experience of friends in recent times. We are happily married, living in Egypt and have no wish to face the horrors of the embassy at the moment. My husband has no real wish to come to the UK and I do not see him being happy there except maybe for a visit sometime in the future. My friends who have got settlement visas have had on average a 18 month -two year period of visits and all had full marriages in Cairo. They are all also similar ages to their husbands. It really does seem to be down to the mood of the official on the day and no one has pleasant experiences. My husband's and my dream is to visit China in the future now if anyobe can help us with that one I would be very interested to hear!!
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discover Egypt - email address is claire_1237@hotmail.com

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I believe anyone can settle anywhere. It depends on the person itself and how he/she is able to handle the circumstances. We have many foreigners well integrated into our society in Germany.
If you marry your boyfriend, he is becoming your husband and he is a decent cook I don't think he will have a problem to find a job in the Arabic restaurant industry. I believe the most important thing is - if you marry him - train him in German language as this is essential to get any job here. I also had recently a look on the website www.muslim-markt.de
But before you think further get to now him quite well, his thoughts about the future ..... and enjoy your time in Egypt.
Jutta, it is maybe also time to get in contact with other Arabic people living in Germany, have a look into their lifes and how there handle their daily routines, make friendships as this will be essential for your husband.
Have a great vacation in Masr!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com