EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » To Egy muslims abroad: What do you eat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To Egy muslims abroad: What do you eat?
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

That thread on pork and bacon got me thinking (and that's a very bad sign) about Egyptians abroad. I have a little experience with travelling and food was always a problem for us. I always try to avoid pork products and extracts but it's just so hard. I remember once in a large supermarket I found that only corned beef was pork-free. Even beef sausages had pork. The only way to get around it is to eat kosher (bleagh) or search for an Islamic food stall (overpriced to the level of usury). So I just try to avoid the clear stuff and eat normally (for example I ate big macs although I am sure there is a trace of lard).

But I had a friend with me who only ate vegetarian food because he said even cows are not 7alal because they are not slaughtered properly. I always thought that you can just eat it and bless it with the name of God or something, but he said no it's 7aram. He got to such an extreme that he wouldn't even eat fries because he thought they were fried in containers that once contained lard.

Well, my question is what do you guys and gals (Muslims abroad) do. Just curious about people, not religious rulings. I would still eat beef and chicken and not feel guilty about it.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kimo, Salam,

Well, i am currently living in the UK with my husband (a convert to Islam). We only eat halal meat or products suitable for vegetarians (and alcohol free) or suitable for a kosher diet. Nowadays, it is much easier, i face no problem in finding halal food. Everything is marked on the shelves of any quality supermarket. I do not believe that we are in any way 'extreme' in not eating from food chains where there may be doubt that even the fries are cooked in lard. Mcdonalds in the UK were actually in the news not so long ago as they claimed certain food items were vegetarian (if i recall correctly the bread and fries) when in actual fact they were not! Now that is scary!
It is our duty as Muslims to eat only halal. In a society such as ours, there is no excuse nowadays.

Salam

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Halal meat/chicken is available in North America for all Muslims living abroad.
There is a huge demand in this sector.

Based on my knowledge, Somalians, Lebanese, Syrians, Moroccans, Tunisians and Iraqis are very active in this business, in Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal.

Also,
Due to the high percentage of Muslims in Canada, even Mc Donalds and Pizza Pizza chains have signs stating that the beef/chicken is HALAL.

Wether it is only a propaganda or else ...Allahu A'alam. But most of the franchises that carry that sign are owned or in partnership with/ by Muslims.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 28 April 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
But I had a friend with me who only ate vegetarian food because he said even cows are not 7alal because they are not slaughtered properly.
He got to such an extreme that he wouldn't even eat fries because he thought they were fried in containers that once contained lard.

I'm not a Muslim, Kimo, but I do avoid fries, soups of unknown origin and some other things too because I'm a vegetarian.

However - your friend is probably right - most of the cattle in non-muslim countries is not slaughtered in a "halal" way.

In North America there are plenty of Jewish butcheries, and from what I understand (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) the kosher meat is basically the same as halal meat and thus allowed for Muslims.

I'm originally from Germany and there is a huge Muslim population due to the Turkish immigrants. So getting halal products is not a problem at all since there are many Turkish stores, all of them carrying halal meat products.

I'm very grateful for that btw since that's where I get my chickpeas, tahina, olives etc.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 28 April 2004).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not Muslim but my husband is (Egyptian).
Fortunately where we live in the UK there is a large Pakistani community so getting Halal meat is no problem. We even have a couple of Halal take aways, one called 'Perfect Fried Chicken' like Kentucky but Halal

If we wat out in Restaurants he always has either Fish or Vegetarian dishes but never meat as they wouldn't be killed in the halal way. You even have to be careful about some soups in restaurants which SEEM vegetarian until you find out that they have been made with meat stock.
Yogurts are a nightmare too! Particularly the thick set ones as they ALWAYS seem to have gelatine in. We only buy things with the 'V' sign for Vegetarian.

[This message has been edited by claire_1237 (edited 28 April 2004).]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as far as I know, even if the cow is not slaughtered properly u can like u said bless it in the name of God and eat it then.

That friends of yours seems to be some kind of extremist. We know that Islam does allow exceptions in many extreme cases and this is one of them.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm..I can't help but to find the word 'extremist' rather harsh. Islam is all about the 'middle way'. One is simply taking precaution.
There is NO evidence in either the Koran or Sunnah that says you can say 'Basmala' over meat to make it halal.
There are conditions to halal meat. Otherwise what would be the poing of having halal meat?

Am sure looking forward to an Egyptian Big Mac!!

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Claire,

Where are you in the UK? We too live amongst a fairly large Pakistani community. Makes the whole halal shopping aspect so much easier. My father is Egyptian, i lived there for many years but am now back in the UK with my British husband.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
extremist as in....i have muslim friend who wants to pray and bcs it's day 2 in a brand new flat i'm moving into, i'm not sure where mecca is...i point to where i think it is, but offer to run outside or ask a neighbor and he says...it's ok...as long as i made the best effort i could... and begins his prayers. as opposed to insisting he MUST FACE mecca otherwise it's pointless to pray at all.

what i like about islam is that it's a personalized religion. you read the quran. some parts are very precise. others are left vague, for your own interpretation. what i don't like about it is how some people think there's only one interpretation, and it's theirs.

we all read history and saw how far that attitude got in christianity and judaism...

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, sorry mate, can't think your out to get me today!!

I'm really not sure what your point is but you are of course entitled to your own opinion and i respect that. Just voicing my opinion mate
As for your friend and his direction of prayer, perhaps he had a vague idea and used a dispensation that like that of the Maliki school of thought where he may have had a full 180 degrees tolerance. Yet, if he was following the Shafii school they have a tolerance of only 4 degrees and thus his prayer would have been invalid if he had not been facing the Qibla correctly. This is not extremism but merely following the sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Peace

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Farhana, and what exactly is wrong with the Malki school? 4 degrees? Do you understand that even in mosques they most definitely have more tolerance than that (even though they may not admit it). Sounds more like the Hanbali school to me!

And yes a rokhsah is a rokhsah (dispensation?), you can eat pork or drink wine if nothing else is available. You can eat non-halal beef if that's the only meat available. And you can make rough guesses about the Qibla by looking at the sun if you can't be precise. You can break the fast if you feel sick, etc..

Not using a rokhsa is not just being cautious it's being extremist. That's the middle way, being precise when you can and being rough when you have to. But that's only my opinion.

And I am pretty sure there is a clear statement that you can eat the food of "people of the book", even if it's not the only thing available. Need to look up the verse though.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Dalia yes kosher and halal are almost the same, except that food marked as kosher may contain alcohol.

Kosher is actually more stringent.

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Focus, that was exactly my impression. He surprised me because he was the first (but not last) Muslim I saw who refused to eat chicken and beef in Europe.
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And I am pretty sure there is a clear statement that you can eat the food of "people of the book", even if it's not the only thing available. Need to look up the verse though.

Wa Ta3aamohom 7elon lakom

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by claire_1237 (edited 29 April 2004).]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Farhana:
Hmm..I can't help but to find the word 'extremist' rather harsh.

I've never had any difficulty not eating Pork or it's by-products, Halal meat is available everywhere but I do not limit my self to Halal Meat, I try to balance between Halal and Nutritious.
Eating Halal Chicken that's been drugged up and caged till it was slaughtered according to Islam is not healthy. (I also refuse to support that inhumane treatment.)

Most of the Lamb available as Halal meat in Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver actually comes from Australia (I think also New Zealand)certified Halal.
Only in Calgary was I able to find Halal Butcher who actually has someone on their staff who goes to the farm to slaughter the animals.

As for "extremist", I don't like it, same as I don't like "fundamentalists" and so forth.
These terms have been Overused and Misused and I found them vague and dismissive.

Eldeen Yusr Walaisa 3usr

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Claire, we are almost neighbours
karinfarid
Member # 3352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karinfarid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surat Al Ma'ida, Vers 4:
Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than God; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, God is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

1) I got 2 opinions on this before: that for me as a muslim it is ok to eat beef, if there is no way to refuse eating it e.g. without being insulting to my non-muslim family. I think everybody knows that muslims don't eat pork but they have no idea that all the other meat should be slaughtered halal. So at one of those special family meetings when there is only beef - or extra esp. beef instead of pork for my family (husband, me and the kids)! not eating is not an option, it will hurt the cooks' feelings, and convey the picture of extremism, like: oh, you don't even eat beef? how hard and strange that sounds to them. This would turn them off about Islam instantly.

2) If there is a choice of foods, it will be better not to eat from any meat, if one is not sure that it is halal.

Plus everybody has ups and downs in his level of faith, and will take his/her decisions based on that current level. The higher one's faith, the more perfect would one want to be. So depending on who you ask you'll get different replies, and all are not incorrect, just more adapted to this persons level of faith.

salam, Karin

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutta3
Member # 3985

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jutta3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

That thread on pork and bacon got me thinking (and that's a very bad sign) about Egyptians abroad. I have a little experience with travelling and food was always a problem for us. I always try to avoid pork products and extracts but it's just so hard. I remember once in a large supermarket I found that only corned beef was pork-free. Even beef sausages had pork. The only way to get around it is to eat kosher (bleagh) or search for an Islamic food stall (overpriced to the level of usury). So I just try to avoid the clear stuff and eat normally (for example I ate big macs although I am sure there is a trace of lard).

But I had a friend with me who only ate vegetarian food because he said even cows are not 7alal because they are not slaughtered properly. I always thought that you can just eat it and bless it with the name of God or something, but he said no it's 7aram. He got to such an extreme that he wouldn't even eat fries because he thought they were fried in containers that once contained lard.
Well, my question is what do you guys and gals (Muslims abroad) do. Just curious about people, not religious rulings. I would still eat beef and chicken and not feel guilty about it.

Hi Kimo, here in Germany we have normally no problem with it. I asked at the local mosques for addresses of butchers who offers halal meat and they gave me a big list. And the meat is sometimes even cheaper than in the big supermarkets. And we have so many arabian restaurants of all kinds where you mostly find the sign "halal meat" at the entrance door. And if you do not find something like this, you can take fish. As far as I learned from the koran you will have no problems with it.

Posts: 306 | From: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Karin, i really respect that, and am in total agreeance with you. It's nice to see such a universal view on other people's opinions. Personally, ten years ago, i didnt care whether i was eating, haram, halal or kosher food whatsoever. Now i would not touch anything that isnt halal, i even make my non Muslim family cook me 'halal' only food. Fortunately they admire our integrity and i am therefore leniant with their needs when visiting my home. It's a two way deal.
So, yes your are quite right. Respect my friend! A woman who knows her stuff
Peace

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com