EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What the (Stars and Stripes) mean to you? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What the (Stars and Stripes) mean to you?
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sciencesailor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GoodEvening Everyone
I have had a beautiful day at my West Coast summer residence, enjoyed the relatively dry air and a warm but not hot weather. Within myself, my thoughts about what is going on in Iraq and Palestine could not be given a vacation! Yesterday, I saw 2 younger Egyptians watching a CD apparently downloaded from an Internet site showing that picture of GIs coffins wrapped in American flags (stars&stripes). I did not ask what else was in that CD and I pretended as if I was not concerned. But, the question above (What the (Stars and Stripes) mean to you?) keeps jumping to my head and I am trying to vent it out!

A: Before 9/11, Afganistan and Iraq invasions/occupations:
The country where you can make a living in as long as you are as competitive as the Americans, the land that can offer you, regardless of race/nationality/religion, the opportunity to show your genuine excellence/intelligence and let you have the position that you deserve. The vast North American continent from coast to coast with almost everywhere everything in both a large and luxorious scale (upon visiting nearly 25 States not from the Am Propaganda texts).

B After Invasion/occupation of Iraq:
Whenever I see the (stars&stripes) I feel threatened, a mighty power, I dont know how was offering its leadership to religous fanatics, and this power considered my religion Islam and consequently the Moslems as the Enemy. A mighty power that decided to get the colonial ages to a revival. A mighty power that apparently could be unsure of its excellence in Science and Technology or feeling an inevitable descending trend in the output of its intelligencia! So, the mighty power in an emotinal move decided to Conquest the Lands of Islam - the weakest political/economical systems on this planet by the Apatchi and F-15 & F-16 war planes wishing to manipulate or manage it better than the present governing systerms and this has been by killing people and massdestruction of the infrastructure!
I am threatened that this mighty power has decided to tell me what is acceptable in our Holy Book the Quran and what is not unacceptable and will be ommitted! This mighty power will let the Israelis enter our country and kill our briliant scientists as they do now in Iraq. I myself might be killed by either the Israelis or the Americans as will be considered an intellectual insurgent refusing occupation by using the power of writing articles in Newpapers or threads in ES Forum!
Please don't say SS got a sun burn in his brain while he was stretching on the West Coast beach. The Eastern side of our borders witness anything everything except reason and rationale. Two mighty powers came to a conclusion that by Guns and Torture the Mideast will submit to their will!
Wrong and a Stupid Ideology, period.

Well Ladies and Gentleman,
That was what the (Stars&Stripes) used to mean to me, and how it means to me Now.
What do you think?
Salam
Yours: ScienceSailor

PS. Yes, uptill this moment, I am controlling/withholding saying it: I Hate America. Up till this very moment I say it; I hate the American Policy in the Mideast. Up to when I would manage control? Not long.

Posts: 182 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NOxReducer
Member # 3836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NOxReducer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude,
You are one major headache.....

Posts: 185 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 23 May 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

SS, I really can't stand any of your posts. Not anyone! And I needed to tell you that.

You are really trying to poison this forum with your ANTI-AMERICAN bla-bla stories.

And guess what? My husband is an American and my children are half-Americans!

And you hate Americans????? All Americans????

Poor you of having the chance as an Egyptian to come and get education in the US, most of the Egyptians never get that chance of studying, living and working overseas in their whole life!

You even mentioned you work for an American company back in Cairo, right? Why don't you tell your big boss what do you really think of him?

Because you can't, your poor little old man, because these people make your and your wife's living!

Stop blaming and black-marking the US and all citizen for everything. Get a grip!

Have you ever been in person to Afghanistan before Oct 2001 or even to Iraq before Mar 2003? Guess not or you would know how the living standard of most people was......

Stop your BS - SS - or go onto another board.

One more question though I asked myself. Your wording "I hate the American Policy in the Mideast. Up to when I would manage control? Not long." is still ringing in my ears.

So if you can't control yourself anymore WHAT will you do. WHAT WILL YOU DO??????

To ALL here:

I really really don't know whats going on here on that forum. This forum is about Egypt, about its people, culture, tourism, history etc.

I really love this country, I spent there over 1200 days and nights. I appreciated people's friendlyness and helpfullness. But within the last two months I read so much bad stuff and everything was about US politics in Iraq!

My husband and my little lovely children are US citizens and we are really trying to come back to your country to live there. We appreciate you guys, your culture, we have so many wonderful memories of Cairo and other areas inside Egypt.

But I don't want to feel hatred and unsafe in Egypt, no I don't even want to come anymore than on holidays ...........

PS: SS, no need to reply. I told you that once before.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

My husband and my little lovely children are US citizens and we are really trying to come back to your country to live there. We appreciate you guys, your culture, we have so many wonderful memories of Cairo and other areas inside Egypt.

But I don't want to feel hatred and unsafe in Egypt, no I don't even want to come anymore than on holidays ...........

You base this on one mans writings...lol..how powerful he must be...Who is the one who needs to "get a grip"?

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlilly...

You will not be unsafe in Egypt, wether you are an American Citizen or else...You know it..

People vent on the internet....Egyptians about Americans and others about others... between work and other responsibilities...but does it mean that people will bother you in Egypt ...NOT!

Forums have ups and downs ~ you know it!

Hopefully, you will enjoy your holidays in Egypt with your family!

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Thanks, Monica, but I am inside torn apart about all the political developments lately and whether it was the right thing to do for the US to go to war in Iraq or not - I feel very unsafe for the life of my husband, my children.

During my long stay in Egypt I never ever experienced this hate of Egyptians towards another race. Sometimes I heard bad stuff against Jewish people. I really didn't want to join in since I don't know many Jewish people, I don't have anything against Jewish and remember what my own country did to them........

But maybe politics weren't one of the issues I would discuss with Egyptians.

I really don't know, Monica, it is very frustrating and frightening to me. Maybe I am also watching too much TV.

Thank you. Yes, I am sure we will have a wonderful vacation in Hurghada. I miss the beaches! My youngest son will be for the first time in your country and I hope he will love Egypt as much as I do. He just started walking four weeks ago!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Face it Tigerlily, the world can be a dangerous place no matter where you are! It doesnt matter if you are American or not. Keep in mind that it IS US and Zionists policies that are driving this madness that abounds everywhere, so you can hardly blame anyone for venting their anger concerning this.
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SS if I ask nicely will you please write shorter posts? Because I have a feeling I'd have found your post interesting if I had not slept by the middle of it every time I tried to read it.
Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlilly.... your youngest son probably won't remember it.. but I'm sure you'll take loads of pictures to show him later that he has been to Egypt

Egyptians adore children...so they will be really nice to yours, you'll see...!!!

Happy Holidays!!!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 14 May 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hey, hopefully we are returning frequently to Egypt in the years to come.

My daughter, who is now 5, speaks a little arabic and I got offered many camels already for her!

She has been the first time to Cairo when she was 7.5 weeks old, altogether she visited Egypt a good 6 times! She looks a little like Egyptian herself, well actually she has more Latina in her.

Pictures, pictures everywhere of Egypt in our photo books. We love it!

homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanks, Monica, but I am inside torn apart about all the political developments lately and whether it was the right thing to do for the US to go to war in Iraq or not -

Come again!

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sciencesailor:

PS. Yes, uptill this moment, I am controlling/withholding saying it: I Hate America. Up till this very moment I say it; I hate the American Policy in the Mideast. Up to when I would manage control? Not long.

That's exactly what's been happening, hatred of the US policy is turning into hatred of Americans, no suprise.

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
All those wacky people who find this Post strange, you would be amazed at how many Egyptians share exactly the same views.
Tigerlilly, next time you're in Egypt discuss (if you know enough arabic)politics and US policy with ordinary average Egyptians and I gaurantee you will never go back their again.

Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got offered camels for your daughter?

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 15 May 2004).]

sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sciencesailor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extending what Shiekha Katrina described my posts before as just amusement; have this one:
There is a souvenir that I brought from one of NewYork airport coffee shops in 1995 and still have it on a shanon at the right side of my desk in my office. It is in the form of an Octahedron with 8 faces having pictures of US national monuments (Thomas Gefferson, Mt Rushmore, Statute of Liberty, -----)and only one face with transparent plastic showing the chocolate pieces inside. There is something interesting going on silently about this Am souvenir. There are 3 persons that may enter my office before I arrive from home: the building's janitor to clean the office, one or the two secretaries taking the outage files of the daybefore or placing newer ones on my desk. Everyday lately, As I enter my office in the morning and look at the souvenir, I find out that the face showing the statute of liberty has been turned around to face the walls of my office and instead the face of transparent plastic revealing the chocolates inside is the one to face the visitor to my office! Whoever does this is determined not to show any symbol reminding him/her of America. I turn the souvenir around to have the statute of liberty facing whoever enters my office and wondering when the sender of this silent protest will give up.
Why I keep seeing the face of Statute of Liberty? To remind myself there could be an enlightening ray of hope emmitting from the American Intelligencia to stop the stupid clashes of civilizations that the current American policy makers use as a base/ideology in their planning to control our planet.
When the Egyptians disapprove the current American policy, they do not automatically consider the American People as Enemy. We have faced in our life-time several clashes with the Western Powers and we have been mature/civilized enough to forgive and tolerate the ugly/wrong decisions of the pragmatic politicians.
In the mid seveties, right after 1973 war with the Israelis and every Egyptian knew at that time without the American 24 hour airlifted shipment of tanks and artillaries to the Israelies to make up their losses the Egyptian Army could have been gloriously entered Tel Abib, inspite of that; As our President Anwar EL Sadat declared the end of wars and to let a chance for pieceful era with the Israelis, I saw the Egyptians receiving the US marines when their war ships visited Alexandrea with warm feelings and hospitality. I saw the marines in T-shirts and shorts in groups practice their jogging along Alexandrea longextending sand beaches. They were safe and free to enjoy whatever they wished in the day time activities and also at the nightclubs. The ruins of the war was still there and the smell of firing the guns had not vanished yet.
I believe we were/are civilized people, and look at the silent protest that the janitor or my secretaries selected to show their disapproval of an act done by their general manager. I smile as I look at the statute and say they have the right to vent their anger silently this time. What a civilized people we the Egyptians are.
Salam.

Posts: 182 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Kimo the wise man
Sorry for elongation, did you realy sleep during reading the above post? Could you manage to read it to the End?
Salam

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by homesick2:
All those wacky people who find this Post strange, you would be amazed at how many Egyptians share exactly the same views.
Tigerlilly, next time you're in Egypt discuss (if you know enough arabic)politics and US policy with ordinary average Egyptians and I gaurantee you will never go back their again.

Everage Egyptians are not that ordinary like you are. Because you don't like anything and you are always looking to stir up trouble. You one of these people I wouldn't even look at neither discuss anything with them.

Take it easy and enjoy the day whereever you are.

Everyone has a great weekend!

PS: Just adopted a new doggie!!!!!

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Undead:
You got offered camels for your daughter?

Not to worry, Undead, its all a joke. I got offers for my little daughter already for marriage (its like I think about THAT already!!!)

When I came to Egypt my mom had to listen to that same stuff. I said, Mom, how many camels do you think I am worth????? We were both laughing .......... I ask him if he wants to marry my mother but he declined.

homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:
Everage Egyptians are not that ordinary like you are. Because you don't like anything and you are always looking to stir up trouble. You one of these people I wouldn't even look at neither discuss anything with them.

Take it easy and enjoy the day whereever you are.

Everyone has a great weekend!

PS: Just adopted a new doggie!!!!!

Good, go ahead burry your head in the sand a little more and keep wondering "whether it was the right thing to do for the US to go to war in Iraq or not "

------------------
Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sciencesailor,

you seem to feel quite "jammed" by "imperialistic yankees" at times. Here is some politically colored humor for you to get a bit fresher perspective on "yankees" and American public opinion of the current US govt and its policy in some cirlces:

As the President is getting off the helicopter in front of the White House,
he is carrying a baby pig under each arm. The Marine guard snaps to attention, salutes, and says: "Nice pigs, sir."

The President replies: "These are not pigs, these are authentic Texan Razorback Hogs. I got one for VP Cheney, and I got one for Defense Secretary Rumsfeld."

The Marine again snaps to attention, salutes, and replies, "Nice trade, sir."

Have a good laugh and relax. Here at least some people do think about a big picture too, understand and know quite a bit. Yet, here is some more campaign slogans in satirical colors:

Bush/Cheney '04: Compassionate Colonialism
Bush/Cheney '04: Because the truth just isn't good enough.
Bush/Cheney '04: Four More Wars! Bush/Cheney '04: In your heart, you know they're technically correct. Bush/Cheney '04: Putting the "con" in conservatism
Bush/Cheney '04: Thanks for not paying attention.
Bush/Cheney '04: The last vote you'll ever have to cast.
Bush/Cheney '04: Asses of Evil

Bush/Cheney '04: Don't think. Vote Bush!

Bush/Cheney '04: Apocalypse Now!

Bush/Cheney '04: Deja-voodoo all over again!
Bush/Cheney '04: Leave no billionaire behind
Bush/Cheney '04: Lies and videotape but no sex!
Bush/Cheney '04: Or else.
Bush/Cheney '04: The economy's stupid!

Bush/Cheney '04: This time, elect us!

Bush/Cheney '04: We're Gooder!
Bush/Cheney: 1984 Now
George W. Bush: Leadership without a doubt
George W. Bush: The buck stops Over There
George W. Bush: A brainwave away from the presidency
George W. Bush: It takes a village idiot
George W. Bush: Let them eat yellowcake! Vote Bush!
Vote Bush in '04: "I Has Incumbentory Advantitude"
Vote Bush in '04: "Because every vote counts -- for me!"
Vote Bush in '04: "Because I'm the President, that's why!"
Vote Bush in '04: Because dictatorship is easier.
Vote Bush in '04: It's a no-brainer!

Sciencesailor, believe me, a lot of people do not support "imperialistic" US policy and look forward to the leadership change in November. KAT

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 19 May 2004).]

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
America is a great country and we generally welcome foriegnors. Our government is being run by psychos right now so this year's election is very important. I hope the US will come up with a plan to get out of Iraq soon. Just when you think things can get no worse there they always do...
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamcatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am not an American, have met a few Americans, and was impressed with them. The Bush Adminastration is another story altogether. I see them as big bullies trying to impose there views and how they think people should live according to the rules laid down by them. Their foreign policies have got them into so much hot water, but they still persit with these policies, regardless of all the people dying every single day. I do believe their ambition is to rule the word. All I can say, is Thank God for the up coming elections, Pray God the Democrats get it. There are so many great American people I look up to, just ordinary every day peopl who are making a difference in the world, to list just a few, Ophra Winfrey is my hero and a true role model in every sense of the word. of what one person can do to spread goodwill and hope amoungst all peoples of this world with her outreach programs. I think the Americans are wonderful people who contribute so much in terms of science, medicine. We cannot judge a nation purely on who is running the country, my wish and hope is for Bush to be put out to pastures and let the real committed people in power take over the reins to improve there foriegn relations and policies with countries that need it. America has contrubuted so much in terms of technology. My wish is that all races, colour, creed and religions can find peace in this world, to live in peace and harmony and to respect each and every one's religions, than the world would be the most perfect place to live, oh, and I wish for peace in Palistine, it breaks my heart every day having to read the senseless and brutal killings of innocent woman, children and the elderly. I just wish UN would get more invovled. I think petitions should be signed and handed to UN headquaters. Somebody has to protect this barbaric act killings of innocent people.
Just my thoughts.
Take care
Dreamcatcher

Posts: 286 | From: south africa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Hi Everyone
Ms. katrina, Mr. NeoGeo, Mr. DreamCatcher
Thank you all for your considerate posts, you managed to comfort me while reading your opinions. Appreciate this caring attitude from Americans and Westerners at this difficult time for us the Egyptian Intellectuals who likemyself thought we share human and civilized Values with the Western Intellectuals. Speaking for myself; I at times lately; come to my mind feelings of being petrayed (fooled) with whatever I managed to read in the Western Civilization texts or Intelectuals from the West I managed to meet and been admiring their wide and mature perspective. As I said before I try not to slip into feeling hatred towards the West in general and USA in particular. The pressure is persisting and I wish to spend whatever the little number of years to live without Hating. I do not like this feeling, I rather like to think of whatever things/persons that I can love. One of my brothers in law describes me as " the man you can consider as an open book". I think this helped me to have the good physical/health status that (thanks God) let me enjoy whatever I like to taste/practice.
I add to the above long revelations (venting) something I noticed in yesterday morning's (May19) newspaper (Egyptian press): <contact@alwafd.org> where there was a cartoon that summarized this thread (in Brevety):
The Stars & Stripes (USA flag) at the top and a ward that says: the Past and
at the bottom the stripes are still there but the stars were replaced by a scull and 2 crossing bones and a word that says: the Present, the Artist name was Omar Okasha. No comment.
I will try to enter: www.alwafd.org and see if my memory is exact in the above description or not. (My dear wife gets rid of all the newspapers every morning, at times I search in the trash to rescue an article that I could have been interested in!)
Have a good evening.
Salam

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Science sailor, just remember that intellectuals in the US think just as much and do realize the gruesome reality! Stars and Stripes do not mean imperialism to them. Good that you liked our posts, and I hope you feel better.
sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Yes the above link worked:
<www.alwafd.org>
my memory is OK.

Ms. Monica
Please, would you give me a hint about what was deleted in the above post of yours. Whatever you write in my threads is important to me. Thanks in advance.
Salam
PS. Didn't watch Ahly vs Zamalik last game, I predicted the defeat of Ahly and decided to save myself more depressing feelings to the above.

sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
To see the cartoon by a direct link:
http://www.alwafd.org/front/charicater.php?id=253

Wish you all a goodnight and have a nice weekend.

ScienceSailor

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi SS,

I wrote something like:

stripes, stars, prints or else, falaoona welad el eih......
And then decided that was not a very productive post...

About El Ahly...

quote:
Originally posted by sciencesailor:
Yes the above link worked:
<www.alwafd.org>
my memory is OK.

Ms. Monica
Please, would you give me a hint about what was deleted in the above post of yours. Whatever you write in my threads is important to me. Thanks in advance.
Salam
PS. Didn't watch Ahly vs Zamalik last game, I predicted the defeat of Ahly and decided to save myself more depressing feelings to the above.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 20 May 2004).]

sciencesailor
Member # 3348

Rate Member
Ms. Monica
The Massrya Awy
Still what you did delete is/was a message and it does have a meaning.
Salam.

dajjal
Member # 4354

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dajjal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sick of all this bull **** about America going to free Iraq and Afghanistan. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out that the freedom part was a benevolent consequence and not the real reason those wars were carried out. So shut up with that crap, America is not as generous as some of you are trying to portray it.
And my views of America has also changed since the wars and it has definitely lost respect from most of the middle eastern nations except for Israel who the US don't feel are a threat with their large arsenal of WMD's. USA operates with double standards.
What's even more sick is the recent news released of how Iraqi women were raped, men tortured and humiliated at the hands of these 'liberators'. And those if you who say it was carried out by military officials must not forget that those young soldiers were regular civilians hanging out with normal American citizens, went through the same schools, played the same sports etc. So they pretty much sum up the average American and the views they hold. Anyone who has morals will not have them changed with a few months of military training, which goes to show those soldiers would have treated the Iraqis the way they did even if they were back in the US as ordinary citizens.
America is the land of arrogance and ignorance, not the land of the free.

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dajjal
Member # 4354

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dajjal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sick of all this bull **** about America freeing Afghanistan and Iraq. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that the freedom of those nations was a benevolent consequence and wars were not carried out for that purpose. It was more of a war motivated by the self interest of the US. The plight of people in other parts of the world is just as bad if not worst and the US turns a blind eye to it as it will not benefit the US by doing anything in those places.
My views also have drastically changed about Americans since the wars. One must not forget the fact that those sick acts of rape against female Iraqi detainees, and humiliation,torture and murder of Iraqi male detainees were carried out by soldiers who a few months back were in college or just an ordinary citizen in the US. So it pretty much sums up the way the average Americans perceive arabs. I don't want to even jump to the double standards the US operates with when dealing with Israel, we all know the large arsenal of WMD's that they possess.
America is the land of arrogance and ignorance, and far from being the land of the free.

[This message has been edited by dajjal (edited 22 May 2004).]

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamcatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dajjal:
I am sick of all this bull **** about America going to free Iraq and Afghanistan. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out that the freedom part was a benevolent consequence and not the real reason those wars were carried out. So shut up with that crap, America is not as generous as some of you are trying to portray it.
And my views of America has also changed since the wars and it has definitely lost respect from most of the middle eastern nations except for Israel who the US don't feel are a threat with their large arsenal of WMD's. USA operates with double standards.
What's even more sick is the recent news released of how Iraqi women were raped, men tortured and humiliated at the hands of these 'liberators'. And those if you who say it was carried out by military officials must not forget that those young soldiers were regular civilians hanging out with normal American citizens, went through the same schools, played the same sports etc. So they pretty much sum up the average American and the views they hold. Anyone who has morals will not have them changed with a few months of military training, which goes to show those soldiers would have treated the Iraqis the way they did even if they were back in the US as ordinary citizens.
America is the land of arrogance and ignorance, not the land of the free.

I was and I still am morified by the brutal treatment and humilation that the POW faced at the hands of the US military in Iraq. But bear in mind it was the Washington Post that broke the story, I would say most Americans are appalled by the behaviour of those military personnel responsible for the inhumane way they treated the POW. They deposed of Saddam because of how he treated his people with no dignity, in the same breathe the military is doing the exact same thing. It boggles the mind as to the double standards. I think it is all about power, really frightening stuff.

Do take care
Dreamcatcher

Posts: 286 | From: south africa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dajjal
Member # 4354

Rate Member
Dreamcatcher Saddam is not the only one who treats his people with no dignity. There is also Saudi Arabia, Libya, Sudan, etc. But the difference is those places did not have anything in store for the US, if they attacked Saudi there would have been religous fervour all over the Islamic world even though it is ran by the most corrupt and despised regime in the middle east. Yet the US sees no problems in remaining alies with those crooks as long as they keep the oil pumping at reasonable prices.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
I am sick of all this bull **** about America freeing Afghanistan and Iraq. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that the freedom of those nations was a benevolent consequence and wars were not carried out for that purpose. It was more of a war motivated by the self interest of the US. The plight of people in other parts of the world is just as bad if not worst and the US turns a blind eye to it as it will not benefit the US by doing anything in those places.
My views also have drastically changed about Americans since the wars. One must not forget the fact that those sick acts of rape against female Iraqi detainees, and humiliation,torture and murder of Iraqi male detainees were carried out by soldiers who a few months back were in college or just an ordinary citizen in the US. So it pretty much sums up the way the average Americans perceive arabs. I don't want to even jump to the double standards the US operates with when dealing with Israel, we all know the large arsenal of WMD's that they possess.
America is the land of arrogance and ignorance, and far from being the land of the free.

[This message has been edited by dajjal (edited 22 May 2004).]

Dear dajjal,

please do not forget the fact that many many people from the Middle East are well intergrated into the American society, have a good living standard because of their hard and honest work and might have right now to suffer from consequences since Sep 2001 - which is not fair.

dajjal
Member # 4354

Rate Member
Yeah they are suffering in America because of the ignorance of the Americans and the way the American media has been portraying people from this region. And from the high number of attacks against people from this region in America it is quite clear that a large number of the Americans are ignorant as the stereotypes used to describe the typical American.
dajjal
Member # 4354

Rate Member
ha just after I finished typing this post I saw this in the news : http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040522/ap_on_re_us/disney_muslim_scarf
nefertity's eyes
Member # 4331

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for nefertity's eyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mr ss if u think that trying to change the world is so easy plz let me say u r dreaming i know that horrors exist and it s not the good way to make change

we must try to change ur selves tyr to learne saying NO and even yes so as to have personnality that thing we lost since years

to tell people there r lot of horrors in the world is not the only way for making change
yes there r horrors but where is the solution or just ur real proposition of solution

i ll tell u what i did til now i try to stop buying every american procuct and i also try to convence my friends i succed till now that the first thing secondly i try to make all my friends and people i know proud of being arab.The thing i m sure i love the best is my identitymy arab dentity and i ll never loose this.

------------------
lamiaâ

Posts: 57 | From: casablanca.morocco | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dajjal
Member # 4354

Rate Member
**** not buying american products, we should kick these faggot ass US troops from the Arab countries. Send Al-Qaeda to deal with them.
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A beautiful dream:

Egypt and each country in the Middle East would become autonomous, healing their economy and their military status to enable it to turn into a more peaceful country, relying on their own natural resources, without fear or intimidation from another.

A nighmare:

Egypt and most countries in the Middle East rely on US funds, in one way or another ...slaves they have become...power hungry are the top officials...hungry are the people....corruption abounds..undeniably true!

Rationale:

Is it logical that the whole entire world is standing numb to what is going on? Wouldn't it be logical to think that there is in fact a global conspiracy? and whenever the people try to resist they are simply wiped out...so I have no other rationale but :

It must be within the benefit of the world, somehow, to keep the US government doing whatever it's doing...from wars to rapes to stinking feeding the war victims'families after the crimes... to keep the 'goodness' going....and it will never stop!

Stab me with one hand, and feed me and my family with the other...!!!

There are NO solutions to what's going on people..if there was...Palestine would be freed by now...50 some years later..there are no stinking solutions!

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah they are suffering in America because of the ignorance of the Americans and the way the American media has been portraying people from this region. And from the high number of attacks against people from this region in America it is quite clear that a large number of the Americans are ignorant as the stereotypes used to describe the typical American.

I disagree. From my perspective, Arabs are generally accepted just as all other ethnic groups in the US. Of course you'll have the occasional attacks on Arabs by racist pigs but these are not widespread and dont happen anymore often than attacks on other ethnic groups. Arabs come to the US and go to college, open businesses, and become lawyers, doctors, etc..

I'll admit that the US government's detainment of young Arab male immigrants shortly after 9/11 2001 was very heavy handed and wrong. But if you want to blame anyone for America's policies towards Arabs and Arab countries, blame our President, who wasn't elected by a majority of Americans. His opponent, in fact, got more votes in the 2000 election. If Bush is elected this November then you may blame Americans because this country is truly insane if we give him another four years.

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
[BA nighmare:

Egypt and most countries in the Middle East rely on US funds, in one way or another ...slaves they have become...power hungry are the top officials...hungry are the people....corruption abounds..undeniably true!
[/B]

This is true but the US is not to blame. What has Saudi Arabia done for the Middle East with the billions they get from oil? What has Arafat done with his billons for the Palestinian people? What is Mubarak doing to help Egypt become less reliant on US funds and tourism?

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly my point when I said 'corruption abounds'...high officials are money/power hungry and the people are hungry...
I am blaming the WORLD for standing there like the Sphynx...from where is the money coming.. leading to corruption???

Every one is responsible for conspiring with the US. And the Us has an interest in keeping the corruption abounding and it's a circle thus there's no solution..

Why do you think those officials are still there, when in reality they screwed up big time?? is that logical???

quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
This is true but the US is not to blame. What has Saudi Arabia done for the Middle East with the billions they get from oil? What has Arafat done with his billons for the Palestinian people? What is Mubarak doing to help Egypt become less reliant on US funds and tourism?

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 22 May 2004).]

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Saudi Arabia or else...all bought all all all...

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Saudi Arabia or else...all bought all all all...

Monica, "Everybody knows" By Leonardo Cohen pretty much says it all, don't you think?

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Yes I have that album...pretty realistic that Montrealer...
Just came back from Montreal, and let me tell you, people's political conversations in multicultural circles, are pretty much the same as the ones we have here on ES...

We can talk until we're blue in the face...vent as we wish..it will not change a thing..we can either go blow ourselves with 'dinomyte' ... to make a statement.. or sit and try to make sense out of a nonsense situation that is and will always exist and persist..or again..get on with our lives and try to pay our bills and survive with whatever we can...and life goes on..until someone blows us with a bomb or a gun..or even simpler until we get a heart attack or cancer or something..

On a more positive note...summer is almost everywhere...some people are going on holidays soon...and some are going to Egypt soon

Goodnite everyone..take care!

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
Monica, "Everybody knows" By Leonardo Cohen pretty much says it all, don't you think?

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
delete

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 22 May 2004).]

Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...So it pretty much sums up the way the average Americans perceive arabs.[This message has been edited by dajjal (edited 22 May 2004).]

That is the most absurd thing I've ever read, and I'm deeply offended by it. I shouldn't even bother to respond to such ignorance, but keep in mind - if it's at all possible for you to reason - that it was an AMERICAN soldier who reported the photos, and several AMERICAN media outlets who covered the abuses.

Instead of ranting & raving about how ALL Americans are capable of this, let this be an example to you of how a free & open society deals with its wrongdoers.

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com