EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egt Law in housing matters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egt Law in housing matters
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I just wanted to know, Im moving to Cairo in august and will look for a flat in garden city. What are the Egt laws concerning housing? ONce, I picked an appartment, do I sign a lease, under what terms? should i assume that my rent will be in US$ because im a foreigner? are lease always 1 yr (min.) starting from the month you move in? WHat about rent increase? how does it "normally" works? what should I be careful about (whats included, whats not?) any tips would help. What about the people who help you find a flat; to some you must pay commission yourself (how much), to others the landlord pay them?
thanks.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
holo
Member # 4009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for holo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
holo1111@yahoo.com

Posts: 63 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through an agency once, and it went beautifully, then I also went through a simsara and I get ripped off and almost stabbed the landlord until he started screaming out the window
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
Hi, I just wanted to know, Im moving to Cairo in august and will look for a flat in garden city. What are the Egt laws concerning housing? ONce, I picked an appartment, do I sign a lease, under what terms? should i assume that my rent will be in US$ because im a foreigner? are lease always 1 yr (min.) starting from the month you move in? WHat about rent increase? how does it "normally" works? what should I be careful about (whats included, whats not?) any tips would help. What about the people who help you find a flat; to some you must pay commission yourself (how much), to others the landlord pay them?
thanks.

It seems no one really answered your questions so far. There are numerous ways to find a flat, and if you are on your own for this first time, you might be well advised to go through an agent that speaks English. It will cost a bit more than it would if you negotiated your own terms, but being a novice to the process, it might be a good idea.
There are no real laws that will bother you. You can try to have things written in the lease in your favor. For example, you can negoitiate your rent to be in Egypt Pounds instead of US dollars if you can. Mine is in Pounds and it is wonderful. Of course it is in your favor to keep it in Pounds and in the landlords favor to have it in dollars. Keep it in pounds if you can.
You can negoitiate to pay in one month, 3 month or 6 month increments. The more months you pay at once is good for your landlord so get something for that...as in a lower rent. You don't HAVE to sign for a year at a time if you don't want to, but that will get you the best deals. Short term rentals are more expensive.

My advice is to look at no less than 10 flats before making up your mind, and when you find the one you like, make a list of EVERYTHING possible you'd like to see changed (furniture, flooring, lighting fixtures, appliances.... ANYTHING) and then make a counter offer to the landlord of a price you would pay IF they did all of those changes. Of course all you are doing with this is setting a start for negoitiations and you will probably not get all of your list done for the price you set, but maybe you will.

After living here for a year and seeing your friends flats and what they are paying, and getting some more experience you will be in a better possition to go out and do it on your own next time with the bowabs and landlords.

Good luck. If you want an experienced hand to help out, contact me at my website/email address.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Umm Yunus
Member # 4590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Umm Yunus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi great advice

can u suggest any reputable english spkin letting agents
thanks

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had good experiences with Trenta in Zamalek and E-Dar in Maadi, however I hear they are pricey for most peoples budget. They found very nice flats for me, and were completely ethical.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Umm Yunus:
Hi great advice

can u suggest any reputable english spkin letting agents
thanks

If you are in Cairo, try to pick up a copy of the BCA Chronicle (available at both BCA clubhouses and elsewhere). There are LOADS of advertisements in it for English speaking realestate agents. Most will offer the same flats/properties (as owners of rentals often list their property with many agencies), so call several and find one you feel a raport with over the phone and one you feel you can communicate with. Also you may want to compare their rates before using them. Some only charge the landlord, some charge the customer (you), so find out what the deal is with them and pick one.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChilliSnail
Member # 3757

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChilliSnail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have used the services of Trenta Real Estate in Zamalek and I have to say the experience was very BAD. Extremely unprofessional and they just love new comers to Egypt that they can rip off. Just a word of warning to the unsuspecting.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Wow, that was the total opposite of my experience. I got good rates for two excellent rentals. Sorry to hear that happened to you, and I wonder what made them take that attitude with you...
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TRy this.

--------------------
Don't freak out, sonomod, Organized Crime, whatever. If I annoy you its me!

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com