EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Information on private schools in Luxor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Information on private schools in Luxor
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

Does anyone have information on schools(private,language,KG1 etc.) in Luxor.Im relocating in November and hoping to find something to keep me busy until I grow some roots.

Hope to get some responses.

PS.Im South African - Cape Town

[This message has been edited by Natashiah (edited 08 July 2004).]

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heloooo is somebody out there?

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mydream
Member # 4638

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for mydream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Natashiah
Yes we are here but I am unable to answer your question!
Good Luck!

Posts: 97 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought so.....I have been sending emails like a nutcase to universities in upper egypt but no reply....I guess I should come up with something more original!
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are three English Medium schools in Luxor. They are:
The Experimental Language School
Tel: (095) 384420

El Salam College
Tel: (095) 367046

The Franciscan School
don't know this one, will try to find out.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks a million....greatly apreciated!

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you teach?
Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
no no no...I dont teach...Im just asking because I heard some schools employ foreigners for dialect purposes...but I am going to do a TEFL course just in case.Im in the airline industry and Im also a quilified cosmetologist aka beautician.I have a lot of other skills....but in order for me to hold on to my bucks i will need an income.Im not planning on spending my savings until i find something worthwhile.

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most jobs here are poorly paid. I hear that some hotels have vacancies for Guest Relations or Secretary but the salary is not much. Max 150$ per month.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Yeah...I know they pay crap...but cost of living is very low so I can manage.I just want someting to keep busy with until I have my ducks in a row.
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a private language school in Tayeb Street, which runs between Television Street and Medina Street. Close to the International Hospital. It is nearer the Television Street end and is easy to see.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LL.. I believe this is The Franciscan School.
Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Ok not that I know where that is ....i need to get my map since Im still sitting here freezing my butt off!By the way our seasons are oposite...I guess you guys must be having a ball in the sun!...

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
How good should my english be to be able to teach in Luxor?...Its my second language by the way...My home language is Afrikaans a lot like flemish/dutch.

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it is not the Franciscan school. It is actually the Tayeb Language School and its students are mainly young adult Egyptians.

Most of the women that teach English do not speak Arabic at all. A lot will depend on your accent though - especially if you are teaching young children who will sound like you.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
Most of the women that teach English do not speak Arabic at all. A lot will depend on your accent though - especially if you are teaching young children who will sound like you.

OIC...Well i have a typical Dutch/Hollands accent....but people in Egypt tend to think I am Egyptian...and it boggles my mind because all the foreigners could hear from my accent that I wasnt masri....anyway i guess it would be best to go to these schools in person and they will probably have to judge whether I am good enough or not.By the way my country has 11 official languages ....so we have lots of accents as well as dialect for different regions...SA is truelly divers.

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
You can go along and see them in person. It is easy to find. Just wander along from the Television Street end and cannot miss it.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Natashiah:
...but I am going to do a TEFL course just in case.Im in the airline industry and

Most language schools in Cairo look for TESOL qualification, don't know if it is same for Luxor. I did it a couple of years ago and it's quite heavy going to do in a short space of time but there are places that will do it in 3 months.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ani
Member # 4711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Hi, just read the post on teaching English in Luxor.
Its something that I have been looking into for a couple of years now on and off. I am an English teacher with various teaching qualifications plus a BA in English, I'm just completing a TESOL course which by the way you can now do on-line.I will be in Luxor in Sept, so would you think its a good idea to visit the places that you have mentioned. Would appreciate any other ideas that anybody might come up with (hmmmm) I'm not averse to anywhere else in Egypt. I know the country fairly well, although I have not as yet visited Alex.
Thanks for any advice folks.

Posts: 2 | From: uk | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ani
Member # 4711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Hi, just read the post on teaching English in Luxor.
Its something that I have been looking into for a couple of years now on and off. I am an English teacher with various teaching qualifications plus a BA in English, I'm just completing a TESOL course which by the way you can now do on-line.I will be in Luxor in Sept, so would you think its a good idea to visit the places that you have mentioned. Would appreciate any other ideas that anybody might come up with (hmmmm) I'm not averse to anywhere else in Egypt. I know the country fairly well, although I have not as yet visited Alex.
Thanks for any advice folks.

Posts: 2 | From: uk | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I don't think the one in Luxor does but it pays a pittance.
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ani:
[B] I'm just completing a TESOL course

Hi Ani
We also have a CELTA course and many other...but from what I heard there are some schools that will employ you even if you do not have a degree...if its true..I dont know.There are universities in upper Egypt that also offers the TEFL courses...byt the way are you doing the TESOL course in Egypt...if so may I ask how much it cost you?

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
There is no University or anything like it in Luxor. The nearest one is in Sohag - I think.
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
There is no University or anything like it in Luxor. The nearest one is in Sohag - I think.

What about Nile Valley university...is it not in Luxor...they do have a website.

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Never heard of it. I can assure you though that if there is a Nile Valley University here then it is very very small indeed. People from here travel up to Sohag and stay there as it is a 4 hour journey on the train. A number go to Assuit as I think there is a college there (rather than a University). For a 'proper' university education students go to Cairo. Some students go to Sohag and then go on to Cairo when they have compeleted their courses.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

What about Nile Valley university...is it not in Luxor...they do have a website.

The Nile Valley University is in Sudan. The Nile is a very long river, it is not just in Luxor lol

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Sorry I meant South Valley University...check the website!

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

The Nile Valley University is in Sudan. The Nile is a very long river, it is not just in Luxor lol

LOL...yeah the Nile is verrry looong...Sorry it was supposed to be south valley university..they do have a website...and a campus in Luxor...

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sorry I meant South Valley University...check the website!

They are in Qena according to the Website

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
They are in Qena according to the Website

Ok...sooo why do they have a link for Luxor under construction?...is there another Luxor that I dont know about...or is it just down the street from Luxor.I know Luxor is not far from Qena because my ex had property in Qena.So are you sure there is absulutelly no university in Luxor?

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Yes i am sure there is no university in luxor. There may be plans but nothing yet. Luxor isn't really a big place and it is mainly a tourist town not an Egyptian one so the demand wouldn't really be there.

------------------

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Which means that the nearest you get to a language school is still the Tayeb Language school in Tayeb Street. Merry-go-round.
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Luxor ... there is the Fine Art College- Quena University... right next to Esquire Pub.
Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Also.. Seya7a and fanaadek,,, Tourizm and Hoteling.. more of a Tech College.
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Thank you everyone for all your info...greatly apreciated...All i need now is a husband to go with it...hehehe ...Just kidding...Im looking forward to my adventure...I cant wait!

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
I thought you said you had a husband
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenzie:
I thought you said you had a husband

mmmm...please refresh my memory...when did I say I had a husband? ...Ex husband yes...husband no.But im not looking I have found my mate already.That remark I made about the husband was just a joke

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com