EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Why are only certain nationalities so PO'ed? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why are only certain nationalities so PO'ed?
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that women who come to moan on ES are overwhelmingly Russian and British? Given that there are lots of tourists from other nationalities that come to Egypt it's a bit of an enigma really that mostly it's these two who fall (or throw themselves into) scams.
Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Throw themselves into scams, sums it up about right.

In terms of ex-pats in Luxor they come from all nationalities but are without doubt overwhelmingly British. The Brits love Egypt and the Brits have always been good at moaning. Even the Aussies used to call us 'winging Poms'. I think it stems from being brought up in that awful weather

There are very few Russians in Luxor though as there are no beaches there. The Russians seem to head for Hurghada - which personally I think is a dreadful place like a ten-mile long building site..

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 14 July 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hereby swear than I am neither British nor Russian.
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I confess I am British, Luxorlover... ok, so maybe Hurghada is a huge building site,..... but we've also got the most beautiful sea in the world.... best scuba diving.... without which, I wouldn't have a job!
So, yes, I'm British, no, I'm not wingeing, got both feet on the ground as far as men and scams go!!
And.... I wouldn't live anywhere else!!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redsea
Member # 3150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto Samia.
Posts: 88 | From: egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
Why is it that women who come to moan on ES are overwhelmingly Russian and British? Given that there are lots of tourists from other nationalities that come to Egypt it's a bit of an enigma really that mostly it's these two who fall (or throw themselves into) scams.

Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cheapest holiday packages to sea resorts -- they don't get to interact with real egyptians - mostly other tourists and the few gigollos who talk to them at the resort town.

that's a complete guess on my part, but i base it on the fact that you don't often hear women saying i spent 1 or 2 weeks in cairo and met a very nice egyptian guy sitting at a local cafe... it seems to be internet or the sea.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
cheapest holiday packages to sea resorts -- they don't get to interact with real egyptians - mostly other tourists and the few gigollos who talk to them at the resort town.

that's a complete guess on my part, but i base it on the fact that you don't often hear women saying i spent 1 or 2 weeks in cairo and met a very nice egyptian guy sitting at a local cafe... it seems to be internet or the sea.

Don't forget the Corniche lol

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to state the obvious Kimo but it's the language. Many Dutch, Italian, French, German, Belgian all do the same daft things ( seen them all!) as English / Russian women but they do not all speak / write in fluent English. Many also have boards in their own native languages to moan on.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Sorry to state the obvious Kimo but it's the language. Many Dutch, Italian, French, German, Belgian all do the same daft things ( seen them all!) as English / Russian women but they do not all speak / write in fluent English. Many also have boards in their own native languages to moan on.
Penny

D'oh, yeah that's a point I missed. Though I really have to say I am yet to see any Dutch or Flemish Belgian who isn't fluent in English, let alone a Russian who is.

Anyway, do you think I can start an Arabic forum for Egyptians to moan in Arabic about western women moaning in English.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haqikah
Member # 4725

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haqikah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimo, there also seems to be a pattern of the Brits marrying men that are poorer and much younger than them, and the Russians seem to be looking for a wealthy man to save them. If you notice the women that seem to marry a more compatible mate complain the least. And it does happen in the touristic villages most often. There are several Americans living in Zamalek and Maadi,that relocated with companies that moved to Egypt, or students at Cairo University from all over the world that don't come on this site to moan about how awful the men are in Egypt.
Posts: 39 | From: El-agami | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SAmia - I was not knocking Hurghada or its inhabitants - I posted big smiley faces. The Red Sea in sublime. My point really was about the lousy English weather and how the British are brought up on moaning about it.

The language thing is what it is all about. As you said Kimo, start a forum in Arabic about WEstern Women and maybe some of those that have been spreading hatred lately might move over to it ...

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Karah_Mia (edited 14 July 2004).]

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lukoshko
Member # 3626

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lukoshko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why is it that women who come to moan on ES are overwhelmingly Russian and British?

I don't moan! LOL I am not in love with egyption

Maybe because we are so emotional and loving creatures...

Posts: 287 | From: Moscow Russia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I wonder too!!

Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is rediculous Kimo. Just for your information, I am Russian, too. Where in the hell did I ever "moan" or/and complain about an Egyptian man or any man for that matter on this forum? By the way, I hell do not care about a man's money, I have plenty of my own earning in USD in America. I AM DAMN PROUD OF MYSELF, I DO NOT NEED FINANCIAL SECURITY IN LIFE. I can make it on my own.

P.S. AS a disclamer, I have not been to Egypt even once. So no attacks please, and if I did go it would not be beaches in Hurgada or Sharm, but history of Ancient Egypt starting from Cairo.

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 15 July 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lukoshko
Member # 3626

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lukoshko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 kimo_the_maniac

And if u really think that many russian women (do u know how many women in Russia?)complain about egyption guys, maybe that's because there is something to complain about. Not everything is ok with these
guys. If they were so religious and with high morality as some guys here used to say such situation wouldn't have taken place.

U judge russian girls on what u read here, we judge egyption guys on what we see in Sharm and Hurgada.

BTW, I didn't see many complains from russian here. 3-4 is it a lot?

Posts: 287 | From: Moscow Russia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lukoshko:
2 kimo_the_maniac

And if u really think that many russian women (do u know how many women in Russia?)complain about egyption guys, maybe that's because there is something to complain about. Not everything is ok with these
guys. If they were so religious and with high morality as some guys here used to say such situation wouldn't have taken place.

U judge russian girls on what u read here, we judge egyption guys on what we see in Sharm and Hurgada.

BTW, I didn't see many complains from russian here. 3-4 is it a lot?

I can help him with that. Population of Russia is 147 million people. Female/male ratio is more than 50/50. Even with that, a conservative estimate would be about 74MM women, which is more than Egypt's population (assuming it is roughly 70MM)

I also agree with you that 3-4 posts or/and people cannot qualify for "overwhelmingly Russian".

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 14 July 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any kind of generalization will always stir trouble. If there was no cold, there would not be hot, if there was not log-out there wouldn't be log-in... Our world has been created as a relative realm, not much we can do about it, so why not just enjoy it. There are crooks, prostitutes, pimps, mass murderers and gigolos ALL OVER THE WORLD. Along with saints, tireless volunteers, mentors and selfless creatures in service of the needy. C'est la vie, vive la différence.

Ps. Life is an illusion; there is much more awaiting us in places our philosophers haven’t dreamt of.

ahmed2004
Member # 4528

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ahmed2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
karah_mia it sound i have to agree with you all the time!
Posts: 273 | From: egypt,aswan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahmed2004
Member # 4528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahmed2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
katrina donot be disappointed about what you read here!!people insist to generalize thier openions,on the other nationalities!which realy dam hell!!
personaly i have been working with the russians,and i found them very kind,has great sense of humar people,
and last year i have been to your country[it was very cold] in moscow and peterburg[one of the most beautiful places i have seen in my life,and it has a great historical back ground]the people there have a good living stander,
so you are right to be proudy of your nationality,although few russian females do bad things here or their but nobody can deny the russians are very nice and great community!!
but still i wonder why the people here focus at the sexual topics[prostitutes,gigolos]!!doesn't egypt has more than this?or what?
iam only asking!!!

Posts: 273 | From: egypt,aswan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ahmed2004:
katrina donot be disappointed about what you read here!!people insist to generalize thier openions,on the other nationalities!which realy dam hell!!
personaly i have been working with the russians,and i found them very kind,has great sense of humar people,
and last year i have been to your country[it was very cold] in moscow and peterburg[one of the most beautiful places i have seen in my life,and it has a great historical back ground]the people there have a good living stander,
so you are right to be proudy of your nationality,although few russian females do bad things here or their but nobody can deny the russians are very nice and great community!!
but still i wonder why the people here focus at the sexual topics[prostitutes,gigolos]!!doesn't egypt has more than this?or what?
iam only asking!!!

Thank you so much, ahmed2004, for your kind words. I am glad that you changed so much! I am glad you enjoyed visiting Russia. I have not been there myself for quite some time.

I more than agree with you that this forum could be way more culturally enriching than talking about beach stories and stereotyping and generalizing people based on nationalities. I could not be silent though. Sometimes enough is enough, you need to speak up.

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahmed, good job; you da man!!!!
BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I studied the soviet history and I really liked it. I wish that soviet would had been a superpower till now.
The thing is what people see especially in U.A.E and Syria is too much. You know one of the U.A.E. government’s policies is to get Russian girls as a way to increase investment in their country?! And as u said there are more women in Russia than the Egyptian populations so we can’t generalize for obvious reasons.
Peace to the mother land.

Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by the way, i am big fan of the russian Military tanks. It is just amazing.
brian04
Member # 3553

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brian04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody...

We are all know why western women come to egypt..

but how many western man come to egypt because they met an egyptian woman?...

well i did i am coming in october... insh2lah.....

acutally how many western men on registered on es anyways.....

salam,
brian

Posts: 432 | From: China | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
BahYBasha

Thank you very much for your kind words. As far as Soviet Union as a super power, I think the world would not be better off in this case. I am glad there is not Soviet Union. I did not know about UAE policies you mention. There is a lot of human trafficking going on in many parts of the world, too...

Brian, do not judge everybody with the same measuring stick. If your motive is to go to Egypt and to meet someone, then it does not mean everybody else's motive is the same as yours.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well katrina, since you haven't ever visited egypt...i would suggest you don't get so defensive and take it personally. i know a lot of russians and let's just say that some of the girls in egypt don't do russians justice - they are the worst of the bunch. unfortunately most egyptians don't visit russia so this is the impression they have.

kind of like russian women who stereotype all egyptian men because of a few jerks they personally came into contact with and then establish a web site about it.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
well katrina, since you haven't ever visited egypt...i would suggest you don't get so defensive and take it personally. i know a lot of russians and let's just say that some of the girls in egypt don't do russians justice - they are the worst of the bunch. unfortunately most egyptians don't visit russia so this is the impression they have.

kind of like russian women who stereotype all egyptian men because of a few jerks they personally came into contact with and then establish a web site about it.

Then I suggest people speak about Russian women they see visiting without generalization of 70+MM population. Besides, when these or other women talk and bash Egyptian men, it is about "gigolos", which is a group with quite a distinction from the rest of "the bunch". It is a generalization of all Egyptian men. This is understood by people who have not visited Egypt like myself.

like2bactive
Member # 4755

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for like2bactive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Katrina, let me first express my happiness of ur self-proud, ur tough life, ur way-through-life, ur big success (in ur eyes) u achieved, or about 2 achieve, and ur vehement defence 4 Russian women .. but i think i'm not defending Kimo when saying that he felt the same anger u r feeling now when talking about ALL-EGYPTIAN-GIGOLOS .. u see his point of generalization? but sure .even everyone writing in this topic..even saying EGYPTIANS, RUSSIANS, BRITS ..sure..(even if he believes so) not meaning all and every one of such nationality..and even if he means that ..no sane reader..would believe his words that every single creature of such nationality is the same character he is speaking about..but maybe it is difficult for some of us to use SOME OF ..then mention the nationality ..whenever he wants 2 speak about one nationality..it is boring..still there r Russian S*** ..and Egyptian G***** ..ther r good Katrina and nice kimo..got me?
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you see I am not generalising, I am just talking about a limited group of Russian women that we see here in Egypt. This is by no way a generalisation. Don't take this personally, don't be defensive, I don't know why Russian women are so personal, blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda...

BS isn't it, doesn't make it hurt less does it?

Well now you know why all those people who were objecting to the generalisations here were doing so. It's not because Egyptians are overly personal and defensive, it's because what you claim is unfair.

Anyway, I don't know any Russian women, I have never been to Russia, and I don't really have any particular feelings about that country.

Now I have to think up some stereotype to get the Brits fuming as well.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salaams Kimo

We have a saying: "If the cap fits wear it!" I guess not many of us felt that your stereotype fitted us!

[This message has been edited by newcomer (edited 15 July 2004).]

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Salaams Kimo

We have a saying: "If the cap fits wear it!" I guess not many of us felt that your stereotype fitted us!

[This message has been edited by newcomer (edited 15 July 2004).]

Hear hear ... it doesn't fit me either! I am neither Russian nor Brit - and Thank God for both.

But now that I posted in this thread, it will be probably deleted. It's happened before, eh, kimo?

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 15 July 2004).]

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lori:
But now that I posted in this thread, it will be probably deleted. It's happened before, eh, kimo?
[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 15 July 2004).]

Is that a dare?

Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is that a dare?

No, a fact. Or you forgot?

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LORI..... whats your problem with Brits???:confused
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
LORI..... whats your problem with Brits???:confused

No problem with the Brits, they are great people. But being a Brit means usually being born in Britain. And I hate that weather!

Lukoshko
Member # 3626

Rate Member
quote:
I don't know why Russian women are so personal
I don't understand what u mean. If u mean we take ur words to close to our hearts, what do u expect?

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member

dajjal supreme
Member # 4381

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dajjal supreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually found ES accidentally by this post of a eastern European girl complaining about being molested in Egypt or some crap. What she said did sound fabricated though, and needless to say she was rightfully treaded on for posting that rubbish.
Posts: 170 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, you see I am not generalising, I am just talking about a limited group of Russian women that we see here in Egypt. This is by no way a generalisation. Don't take this personally, don't be defensive, I don't know why Russian women are so personal, blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda...

BS isn't it, doesn't make it hurt less does it?

Well now you know why all those people who were objecting to the generalisations here were doing so. It's not because Egyptians are overly personal and defensive, it's because what you claim is unfair.

Anyway, I don't know any Russian women, I have never been to Russia, and I don't really have any particular feelings about that country.

Actually, the same applied to me when you generalized all Americans as Arab-hating warmongers. But hopefully we've straightened that out.

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ok we are waiting???

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Ok we are waiting???

Waiting here too...... but Kimo..... it takes a lot to get a Brit fuming... stiff upper lip and all that

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How to get a Brit fuming???? I am one, and I can't think of anything...... I have no stiff upper lip. they died out in the 1960's with bowler hats before flower power!!
Ok... just thought of something!! Say something offensive about the late Queen Mother?? Or Prince William???

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Forum: Samia is about right but as far as I am concerned you can say what you like about the Queen Mum. (My mother always called her a "bad old bugger". She had Nazi leanings and chased the Old Duke of Windsor round the table a few times.) BUT LEAVE WILLS ALONE - he is going to be a great King.
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't think of anything you could say about Britian that would get me fuming. The truth is that they are resposible for a lot of problems in the world like most colonialist countries and should acknowledge it. Just look at all the straight lines dividing countries and cutting through tribes and common tongues and think who drew them.

Wills might make a great king I have no idea about his personality but it is charles first and frankly that is going to be a wash out. After the queen I reckon the role is going to largely symbolic anyway.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
It's symbolic anyway (has been since Charles I). That's why he is going to be a good King - he's prettier than Charles !!

Thomas Packham's "Scramble for Africa" makes good reading on those straight lines.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 18 July 2004).]

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
You guys are actually so boring it's very hard to think of a stereotype

Well actually it isn't, someone touched on some very painfull stereotypes about British supremacism and colonialism. I have a talent in driving people up the wall, so I can work with this material to make everyone fume.

However, at the moment, I like Brits for some reason (can't figure out why), so I'd rather not. Yalla, have fun.

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Carleen:
Actually, the same applied to me when you generalized all Americans as Arab-hating warmongers. But hopefully we've straightened that out.

Well, if you recall that was a response to you generalising all Arabs as people who liked to see Americans burning to death on 9/11. But yeah I guess we straightened that out

Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
The company I work in is composed largely of Brits, and I am very happy for that. They are very fair in their dealings, serious but they also enjoy a joke from time to time.

On a personal note, however, I am not sure I enjoy the same things - i.e. stag parties, getting drunk, and watching football. Many women, especially older ones, have an appalling taste in clothes and make-up (I gues the word "tart" is not British for nothing)

However, the Brits are proud. I remember a British classmate saying to the Indian teacher "in the good old days of the British Collonial Empire, you would have been happy to polish my shoes!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com