EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » living together?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: living together?
battery
Member # 5947

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for battery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this really so complicated....If I love someone and we want to live together(in egypt) for rent it´s just not possible?? So you have to be married if you wanna live with someone, I mean if the flat is not your own. Is there any other possibilities, we would like to live together, but I´m not ready to buy a flat of our own(thou he wants it)..
Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saeeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
battery,

if you can find a flat/house owner who will rent you the apartment without asking for the marriage contract, it's ok, you can stay together, but it is hard to find such an owner, usually they ask and if you aren't married they won't rent the apartment to you. however there are exceptions.
but keep in mind if this becomes public then your boyfriend can be jailed for that, it mustn't happen in all cases but it's possible because he is doing something against the law.
what you can do is the orfi-marriage, it's without any obligations, done very easily and you will be able to take any apertment with your boyfriend without any problems. serach in this forum for "orfi", there is lots of info.
wish you good luck!

Posts: 271 | From: germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
battery
Member # 5947

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for battery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Saeeda, what kind of law is that, it really sucks...(sorry I know that it´s not up to u..) Well i think that we´ll find some kind of solution 4 the problem..or if not, maybe we just have to buy our own appartment...Or maybe we´ll think that orfi-thing..I just have to learn more about it...

Thanks

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ou yeah, law here is crazy,but easily u can solv problems with money...not any law that strong,that money cant speak...

Anyway, i was living with my hubby in same apartment without marriage. He just rent it, and thats it.
After some time,police come to look people,who is living in the house...lucky us,we was just marriage,and have marriage contrac to them..

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, what makes you think that owning your own flat will exempt you from the law?

And do you seriously think your neighboors will accept that (what is in their eyes) a whore moves into their building and ruins everyone's reputation?

It is illegal for you to stay with an umarried egyptian man in a hotel for even one night.

There are ways of living together - depending where - but you are very discreet about it, the guy can't be some poor guy from a small village (who will easily be intimidated/harrassed by the police) etc.

The fact he wants you to BUY a flat is a BIG, BIG, BIG warning sign for you. There is absolutely no reason for you to buy a flat there, because rent is cheaper and you as a foreigner would probably have to put a big down payment for a property, etc.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Battery, orfi is easy.. just go to a lawyer, pay a couple of hundred Egyptian pounds, and he will write you a paper!! I had to have one for the guy that was just coming to my apartment to use my computer!!
When he got his own office and computer, we tore it up!! Simple!!
But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Don't commit yourself to anything more with this guy until you have known him.. REAL known him, not online or anything stupid.. for a couple of years!!!
It's cheap and easy to rent here!!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by battery:
Thanks Saeeda, what kind of law is that, it really sucks...(sorry I know that it´s not up to u..) Well i think that we´ll find some kind of solution 4 the problem..or if not, maybe we just have to buy our own appartment...Or maybe we´ll think that orfi-thing..I just have to learn more about it...

Thanks

I haven't yet met an Egyptian man who finds this law "sucks" when it's about a relationship between his sister, daughtur or mother and another guy. Western women should be grateful that such a law exists which gives them clear guide about how the community here view the relationship between man and woman, but sadly some women don't want to listen and then they come back and cry...old story

[This message has been edited by Troubles101 (edited 28 January 2005).]

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sue333
Member # 5365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sue333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:

I haven't yet met an Egyptian man who finds this law "sucks" when it's about a relationship between his sister, daughtur or mother and another guy. Western women should be grateful that such a law exists which gives them clear guide about how the community here view the relationship between man and woman, but sadly some women don't want to listen and then they come back and cry...old story

[This message has been edited by Troubles101 (edited 28 January 2005).]

I cant help but think there are a lot of double standards dependent upon money- and whether you are male or female etc. Its as though many people defend this view of looking down on people who dont want to rush into a marriage with what may seem as someone they dont know intimately well. Surely it is good that people uphold their own morality and not have people minding their business for them. It almost seems to me, that a lot of peple there- spend more time watching and condemning others instead of ensuring that life there is good for both men and women and improving education and quality of life. I am not condemning Egypt at all, just trying to say that people ther try to appear as though their country is superior to others and is above judgment. Whilst Egypt has some special things to offer- it is by no means perfect- and neither is anywhere else.

The point I make is- ok- the country does not approve of people living together, but what the hell is it to do with other people. Let him without sin cast the first stone- I think that rules us all out!!!

Posts: 101 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue, no offense but it's extremely clear you've never lived in egypt. Everything is everybody's business and - bless their hearts - egyptians love to gossip on a level I've only seen in soap operas on TV.

just one of the reasons is why I never wanted a bawab in my building or a cleaning lady to help me with the household chores.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sue333:

I cant help but think there are a lot of double standards dependent upon money- and whether you are male or female etc. Its as though many people defend this view of looking down on people who dont want to rush into a marriage with what may seem as someone they dont know intimately well. Surely it is good that people uphold their own morality and not have people minding their business for them. It almost seems to me, that a lot of peple there- spend more time watching and condemning others instead of ensuring that life there is good for both men and women and improving education and quality of life. I am not condemning Egypt at all, just trying to say that people ther try to appear as though their country is superior to others and is above judgment. Whilst Egypt has some special things to offer- it is by no means perfect- and neither is anywhere else.

The point I make is- ok- the country does not approve of people living together, but what the hell is it to do with other people. Let him without sin cast the first stone- I think that rules us all out!!!

Yeah Sue, I have to agree with Expat...Your understanding of Egypt and the culture is naive. You've never lived here, have you? It's a different world, and no, in general it isn't fair. If you are in need of that kind of "fair" don't come to Egypt.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue I'm in agreement with Expat and Debbie.. but you know this already. You know you will be gossipped about by the Egyptians.... you know you already are.... I told you this before!!
Men gossip here as much..if not more than.. the women!!
Everybody has an opinion on everyone else's business... usually bcs they've got too much time on their hands, and nothing good on Egyptian tv!

[This message has been edited by Samia (edited 28 January 2005).]

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sue333
Member # 5365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sue333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
[B]I appreciate all your views and totally agree with your statements and no i havent lived in Egypt- but does that make it right- that people do this- I havent lived in Egypt but travelled extensively and know that- i wont change things overnight- but it is about educating people and to be honest- the changes will happen- I just think that on a site like this we should encourage and not deny those changes- because on the whole, they are for the good- although I am sure there are instances- which i see here daily- which prove that not all changes are good.

Posts: 101 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sue333:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
[B]I appreciate all your views and totally agree with your statements and no i havent lived in Egypt- but does that make it right- that people do this- I havent lived in Egypt but travelled extensively and know that- i wont change things overnight- but it is about educating people and to be honest- the changes will happen- I just think that on a site like this we should encourage and not deny those changes- because on the whole, they are for the good- although I am sure there are instances- which i see here daily- which prove that not all changes are good.

Sue, you asked, "Does this make it right?" I think the Egyptians would have a valid argument to ask about the appropriateness of living together without the benefit of marriage....don't you? If we are going to get into the RIGHTS and WRONGS accepted by different cultures, everyone has a valid arguement.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In our own countries we expect people to come and live by our laws. When we are in Egypt we must do likewise whether we agree with the law or not. That is not up to us. If we can't do this then we should not live there. It is as simple as that.

Sue as to expecting things to change..Why should Egypt change their customs and culture because it happens to suit us. The ORFI is already a measure to keep the tourist happy that is totally against the religion and culture. It causes far more problems than ever it solves. Personally I would think it a happy day that the government revoked this law and removed the hypocracy from the system.

Take a hard look at western society today and ask yourself if our ways are really better.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
I agree with Penny!!!
This is a muslim country.. people forget this very easily, because they only see tourist Egypt!!!
Sue333.... too much has changed already!!

battery
Member # 5947

Rate Member
Very interesting...so I probably should just forget everything that we have planned. No living together until we´r married...which is probably never coz how can I get to know this person ever if I can´t be with him...my loss.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by battery:
Very interesting...so I probably should just forget everything that we have planned. No living together until we´r married...which is probably never coz how can I get to know this person ever if I can´t be with him...my loss.

No you can go the ORFI route if you wish ...it is legal...... but don't forget it's other name ... F..K contract. It is your life but just make sure you understand what it means. Actually have never met an Egyptian man who wants to live with a woman, they are not usually stupid enough to risk imprisonment. You could of course get to know him without having sex.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saeeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
penny,
i found out that the reputation of ORFI isn't as bad as often stated at all,
my fiance explained it to me like that: if you make it public and let everyone know that you married ORFI, then it's a real marriage in people's eyes. so it is not seen as something shameful at all. of course you are expected to marry legally also after that and not to split up again, which would then be seen as a shameful thing.

so battery i would think it over if you are really really serious with this guy, or you just wanna have some fun. if it's the second, better keep your hands off him. or you do ORFI and keep it as a secret between the two of you. however in this case everyone would see it as a shame to do ORFI. then it's simply the "**** paper".

Posts: 271 | From: germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sue333
Member # 5365

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Debbie:
[B]

My point wasnt to ask for change- just that other peoples views are respected. If we could all do that- the world would be a more peaceful place. It is only when people start trying to change others instead of concentrating on themselves that problems occur!!!

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

exactly sue, except that your post came across as you are the person who can't accept how the majority of egypt is, and instead of respecting that's how things are, you want to change them. but i do know what you meant.

and PS. most of our parents managed to get to know each other without first living together, so c'mon! what is this excuse that you can't get to know someone unless you live with them. what you need to worry about is getting to know his family. look at the way his mom is, how his sisters are etc. because to stereotype - a lot of his perceptions of what a proper wife does will be based on his home environment.

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 29 January 2005).]

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by saeeda:
[B]penny,
my fiance explained it to me like that: if you make it public and let everyone know that you married ORFI, then it's a real marriage in people's eyes.
---------------------------------------------

Is that what his mother says as well?????
Would he accept it for his sister???????

I once asked a Sheikh this point...the answer it is haram whether public or not.

Have yet to find ANY eyes that see it as real marriage so please do NOT try to make out it is. Accept it for what it is but please leave the hypocracy out.

[This message has been edited by Penny (edited 29 January 2005).]

saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
penny,
maybe there are different opinions about this, but yes his parents and family accept it 100% and so do all his friends. We walk hand in hand in his neighbourhood and he introduces me as his wife. I even stayed in his home one night, his family was upset because i asked if that's ok!! And they all are truly religious. But, the point is, they consider it as a real marriage. maybe it's also because they know that we're gonna marry legally soon. They know we're just waiting because of practical matters with that (mainly money)

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saeeda:

my fiance explained it to me like that: if you make it public and let everyone know that you married ORFI, then it's a real marriage in people's eyes. so it is not seen as something shameful at all. of course you are expected to marry legally also after that and not to split up again, which would then be seen as a shameful thing.

Friends of mine (he Egyptian, she European) are going to get married legally soon; yet they decided to get orfi married a while ago because he basically moved in with her and they didn't want to run the risk of any legal complications because of this. What I found interesting about this fact was that it was actually his mother who suggested it. She didn't see it as a shameful thing either.

In answer to your initial question, battery, yes you can live with your boyfriend, but as others mentioned it is highly unusual here and you have to find the right area and the right landlord. I have several Egyptian friends who lived together with their girlfriends and they had no problems whatsoever.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sue333
Member # 5365

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by saeeda:
[b]

Friends of mine (he Egyptian, she European) are going to get married legally soon; yet they decided to get orfi married a while ago because he basically moved in with her and they didn't want to run the risk of any legal complications because of this. What I found interesting about this fact was that it was actually his mother who suggested it. She didn't see it as a shameful thing either.

In answer to your initial question, battery, yes you can live with your boyfriend, but as others mentioned it is highly unusual here and you have to find the right area and the right landlord. I have several Egyptian friends who lived together with their girlfriends and they had no problems whatsoever.[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree totally. I think that there appears to be differing views here on this. The main one being that for whatever reason- if you want to fit in, in Egypt you should at least have Orfi marriage. It seems to depend on different people whether ORFI is accesptable (similar to the UK many years ago- when living together was less of the norm than it is today)

Ragab Ibrahim
Member # 6222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragab Ibrahim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is your boy freind an egyptian?if he is not.. no broplem,just tell everybody that you're already married before 2 years ago.

Posts: 59 | From: Athens,Greece | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Battery, Ragab is making a very valid point!! 2 non- Egyptians can live together,nobody will ask any questions!
battery
Member # 5947

Rate Member
I have to admit that he is egyptian, so there is a problem...I been thinking this over and over again and I think that maybe we should wait a little longer, coz I don´t want him to get any problems.

I know that you can get to know other person even if you don´t live together, but from my point of view if 2 people love each other and they want to take their relationship to "the 2nd level" they have to learn to live together and that´s how you can learn more about your partner.
And 4 me its important to know your man before u make any decisions about marriage.
I know that in Egypt the rules r different than in my country and I have to respect that and I do, but sometimes I find it very hard..

But anyway I´m very grateful 4 all of u and your opinions if there is anything more that I should know I´m open to every advice that I get.

puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Battery,
Marriage is so big step in the life. So do not let any law to hurry u...just marry when u are ready.
Actually u can know each other very well without living together..But it takes time..Anyway there is know way,that i can never understand,why people should marry without knowing each other..if u are lucky,u can find ur self happy after few years..or i think here in egypt people dont know about real love,what it feel...to be crazy about each other..of course not every body , but i mean those,who marry just because woman must marry...u cant stay alone..or u must stay at home,with ur parents.
anyway,i dont care what they do,but i care if people,like we, must do something,what we dont want...only because we unluckily fall in love with egyptian man..and we try to make our living here in egypt,what is not so easy...but because u want make ur love happy,u try stay in his country...anyway,i shut up now...

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com