EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What is the hierarchy for living in New Cairo? &Do many USA expats live there?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the hierarchy for living in New Cairo? &Do many USA expats live there?
Alesia
Member # 6705

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alesia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about purchasing a home there to live with my husband who is Egyptian. I am an American and simply wanted to know whether New Cairo has an expat community? Also what is the hierarchy for the different developments.. ie..
Katameya, Arabella and Mirage City?

Thank you,
Alesia

Posts: 24 | From: Northeast | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hierarchy? what do you mean? Do you want to know what class of people live in these places?

My best guess from what I've seen is NO Foreigners live in New Cairo. It is a concrete jungle and not that nice.
Katameya and Mirage City are exclusive for the well to do. It is expensive there and only the people with some money can afford to live there. There are some foreingers that have companies paying their rent living out there. I know 2 that have villas in Mirage City, but I'm sure there are many more.
Can't say anything about Arabella....don't know it.
Hope someone owning property in any of these areas might answer to give more information for you.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluemouli
Member # 6650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluemouli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent sometime living with my Egyptian husbands family once. I found it very beautiful and green. There were grasses and flowers. I was there in late June and it wasn't even hot because of the wonderful breeze. I used to love to go back there after an exhaust filled day in Cairo.
It is quiet and serene. Our balcony overlooked gardens and the moon was so brilliant at night. None of the neighbors treated me rude at all.
Right now, I am living in Hadeyak El Maadi and I can't wait to save enough money to go back to New Cairo. This place is a concrete jungle and the people here can't get enough staring. So I don't know about other expats...but I do know that this american will be living in New Cairo soon.

Posts: 6 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bluemouli:
I spent sometime living with my Egyptian husbands family once. I found it very beautiful and green. There were grasses and flowers. I was there in late June and it wasn't even hot because of the wonderful breeze. I used to love to go back there after an exhaust filled day in Cairo.
It is quiet and serene. Our balcony overlooked gardens and the moon was so brilliant at night. None of the neighbors treated me rude at all.
Right now, I am living in Hadeyak El Maadi and I can't wait to save enough money to go back to New Cairo. This place is a concrete jungle and the people here can't get enough staring. So I don't know about other expats...but I do know that this american will be living in New Cairo soon.

Your post really goes to show that it is all relative. To me (I live in Heliopolis), New Cairo is a concrete jungle, but if you are living in Hadeyak El Maadi (excuse me, but YUK!) New Cairo would be heaven.

Clearly New Cairo is better than many places in Cairo and just different than others. It would be fine for lots of folks.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
& I live in HEAVEN. Higher than any of you could ever climb, understand?? Now stop trying to climb over one another, therefore, or you'll never make it up here, indeed.

nevermind
Your Acting Guardian Angel

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse my ignorance, Debbie, but I thought New Cairo, 'Masr Gedida' was Heliopolis. Am I mistaken?
Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by timbuctoo:
Excuse my ignorance, Debbie, but I thought New Cairo, 'Masr Gedida' was Heliopolis. Am I mistaken?

Come on Tim....I know you know your Arabic better than that.... you just aren't thinking. hehehe

Masr (or Misr)...what does that mean? It doesn't mean Cairo.... it means..... Egypt.
Remember now? So Misr Gedida is New Egypt.

New Cairo would be Kahira Gedida. And it is a new-ish development of 5-6 story concrete buildings out off the old Ain Sukhna road quite a bit outside of Maadi, or just down the hill from Katamayia.

I know you are slapping yourself saying "I knew that damnit!" Aren't you?

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 24 February 2005).]

DECORISTA
Member # 2848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DECORISTA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
Come on Tim....I know you know your Arabic better than that.... you just aren't thinking. hehehe

Masr (or Misr)...what does that mean? It doesn't mean Cairo.... it means..... Egypt.
Remember now? So Misr Gedida is New Egypt.

New Cairo would be Kahira Gedida. And it is a new-ish development of 5-6 story concrete buildings out off the old Ain Sukhna road quite a bit outside of Maadi, or just down the hill from Katamayia.

I know you are slapping yourself saying "I knew that damnit!" Aren't you?

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 24 February 2005).]

Debbi

my arabic facing troubles, may I get free course and I forgot my address too, would you please tell me where I live ?

Posts: 254 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by BaBa-Mido:
Debbi

my arabic facing troubles, may I get free course and I forgot my address too, would you please tell me where I live ?

No problem Baba...as long as we don't have to use more than the 5 words I know.

TMK
Member # 7180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TMK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

The only expat community I know of is Maadi. New Cairo covers a vast area outside cairo...that is growing everyday. There some nice compound developments like Arabella, Katameya, and Mirage city. They are beautifully landscaped, and expensive. You won't find an "Expat Community", but you will find educated, traveled, and a weathly egyptian society. Most of these compounds have been sold out, but you may find a villa or two for sale. New extensions may be for sale and available in 2-3 years. The New Cairo area does offer some of the best schools in Cairo.
Hope this helps. Good Luck

Posts: 40 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tombsman
Member # 2841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tombsman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, i personaly don't like new cairo, it's an exile in the desert for me. i personaly prefer 6 October, because u can have the best of everything, the fresh clean air, the quite surroundings, the huge entertainment choices, and u r just 30 min by car from the heart of cairo.
Posts: 48 | From: 6 october, giza, egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeAgift
Member # 7143

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeAgift     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Zagazig? Quality of life?
How far from Ciaro and Alexandria???

Posts: 42 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tombsman
Member # 2841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tombsman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
70-82 km from cairo, nice place (went there once with a friend) but of course it's nothing compared to the services in cairo.
Posts: 48 | From: 6 october, giza, egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com