EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » ABORTION IN EGYPT (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ABORTION IN EGYPT
ola
Member # 6829

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want to know if abortion is legal i nEgypt or no?i live in Hurghada and where can i find doktor who will make an abortion or give my pills?or can i buy this abortion's pills in pharamcy?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is black market kind of stuff. No pharmacist would ever carry RU-480.

Mind you, you will probably have to follow and make friends with a prostitute or two to find an abortionist. And a possible shady doctor to provide RU-480.

Finding a legit doctor to dispense birth control pills you take every day is difficult too. But getting on the pill and being consistant is far easier than looking for an abortionist.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ask from any ladies doctor..Anyway they will not kill u...They maybe make it, money talk so much here...even it is not legal...
But if they dont make it, it is better go to ur country...an make it there...
But dont make poor baby to this world,if u cant give him/her love and good life...

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ola
Member # 6829

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i visited already doktor and he didn't agree.i try to find dockto because 1 months ago i was sick for bladder and i toke many pills and i am afraid with my husband this child is defected.in my country also is not allowed.if i don't find doctor i will born this child and try to make him good life but is better to make an abortion.but how get this pills?not only ru 486.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope u keep the baby. It is anyway gift from the God.
How early pregnancy u have? 2months?
I think ur baby is in safe...
Try to find information,about pregnancy and medicines..
Maybe u then can relax,and trust that baby is fine.
Maybe baby come with miscarriage...if he/she is sick..
I hope the best for u and ur husband.

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

Finding a legit doctor to dispense birth control pills you take every day is difficult too. But getting on the pill and being consistant is far easier than looking for an abortionist.[/B]

I think most of egyptian women use pills..or how most of families have only 2-3 kids?
But what says Koran about that? I dont know.
Anyway,it is not my religion..so they do what ever they like..

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by puppy:
I think most of egyptian women use pills..or how most of families have only 2-3 kids?
But what says Koran about that? I dont know.
Anyway,it is not my religion..so they do what ever they like..

My sister-in-law said that doctors are hesitant to prescribe the pill until they have had a few kids. After the 3 mark, then they will prescribe. I know my sister-in-law and brother-in-law are really not trusting of starting the pill and then stopping to have more kids.

What the Koran says, the jury is still out on this one. My husband's Mosque consensus is in favor of birth control. But surgically sterilizing either spouse is not kosher from what I can gather from Islamic forums and the Muslims I know. I asked my husband about a vasectomy or tyeing my tubes and well, I took him a while to calm down.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 11 March 2005).]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheesha
Member # 6863

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheesha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My sister-in-law said that doctors are hesitant to prescribe the pill until they have had a few kids. After the 3 mark, then they will prescribe.

Not entirely true actually ... depends on the doctor that you visit. In general, older doctors tend not to prescribe, while younger ones are more open minded. The problem exists among the population, in reality. A lot of Egyptians are still under the impression that pregnancy pills tend to make the ovaries "lazy".

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danielab
Member # 5743

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danielab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abortion is illegal here and barred by religious authorities. Nevertheless, pregnant women, often at great personal risk, regularly find a way to end unwanted pregnancies.
For example, Al-Azhar mosque, Egypt's foremost religious authority, issued a fatwa in January that says that "it is impermissible for the mother to induce abortion if it is proven that the fetus is deformed or suffers from mental retardation . . . It is not a justifiable excuse."
The fatwa only adds to the already existing religious doctrine, supported by Egyptian law, that forbids abortion unless the mother's life is in imminent danger.

The illegality of abortion in Egypt is a relatively recent phenomenon, however. According to the authors of "Planning the Family in Egypt," medieval Muslim texts contain “descriptions of female contraceptive methods and abortificants,” suggesting that the practices were once widespread. In addition, there was popular acceptance of abortion in Egyptian society until it was outlawed by Muhammad Ali in the 1830s, reportedly to increase the male population available for his armies.
Current religious rulings and civil law have not stopped abortions in Egypt, however. They have only made them increasingly unsafe.
A physician who performs an abortion here faces three years in prison. For many doctors, however, the financial gains of performing abortions outweigh the legal and moral risks. A professional and safe medical abortion costs about LE3,000 or about $460 in a private clinic in Egypt.

Ahlam was lucky. Her abortion was done by a doctor under sanitary conditions.

Of course, most women can't afford such a hefty price tag. As a result, most abortions in Egypt are done at home without medical supervision. The average annual income in Egypt is about LE26,000 ($4,000). And the World Bank reports that about 17 percent of families live on less than $2 per day. In addition, husbands often demand a strict accounting of how their wives spend money.

For between LE500 and LE1,000, ($150) doctors or midwives will perform abortions in less than sanitary conditions and with unsophisticated equipment.

Many women try to end their pregnancies by taking overdoses of aspirin or quinine, risking their own lives, as well as harm to the fetuses. Others take herbal douches, including concoctions of mashed onion leaves or moulikhiya, a local plant similar to spinach. They also use cotton stalks, palm fronds or goose feathers soaked in gasoline to dislodge the fetus from the uterine wall.

Only education about contraceptives and reproductive health can reduce these practices and overall abortion rates, says Iman Bibars, the head of the Association for the Development and Enhancement of Women. The association is a nongovernmental organization which conducts health awareness programs for some of Egypt's poorest women.
Run Date: 04/12/04
By Christopher Walker
WeNews correspondent

Posts: 33 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by leo.casanova:
Not entirely true actually ... depends on the doctor that you visit. In general, older doctors tend not to prescribe, while younger ones are more open minded. The problem exists among the population, in reality. A lot of Egyptians are still under the impression that pregnancy pills tend to make the ovaries "lazy".

That's exactly why. "Lazy" ovaries would be the death of a couple.

My brother-in-law is a pharmacist and speaks of birth control as something only a woman done having kids would take. I was on the mini-pill before going back full force and he was really concerned I was taking birth control at all.

Speaking of "lazy ovaries", why aren't men worried about tobacco or bango effecting the performance of their gonads? I have known so many young men who gave up pot because they wanted children, in the USA.

Sheesha
Member # 6863

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheesha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That's exactly why. "Lazy" ovaries would be the death of a couple.

But of course this is an exaggerated misconception. The most common type of contraceptive currently used in Egypt is the IUD (Intra Uterine Device).

quote:
Speaking of "lazy ovaries", why aren't men worried about tobacco or bango effecting the performance of their gonads? I have known so many young men who gave up pot because they wanted children, in the USA.

Lack of proper education and information campaigns, i would say. I do remember when a rumor came out that any tobacco infused with mint (as in Menthol cigarettes or mint flavored sheesha tobacco) could affect a man's ability to bear children. The result was the instant boycott by many of the new generation men in Egypt.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
No Leo,

But of course this is an exaggerated misconception. The most common type of contraceptive currently used in Egypt is the IUD (Intra Uterine Device).

Like anywhere in the world if a couple couldn't conceive a second child, divorce would be imminent. I heard somewhere that its one of the top 3 reasons for divorce. Infertility is the the 'damaging' factor to the couple, I was refering to in my earlier post.

IUD's are cheaper. Uterine cancer, let alone cervix cancer has been traced to it. Number one birth control device during the 1960's in the USA. I wouldn't muster the courage to use it.

Sheesha
Member # 6863

Rate Member
quote:
No Leo,

[b]But of course this is an exaggerated misconception. The most common type of contraceptive currently used in Egypt is the IUD (Intra Uterine Device).

Like anywhere in the world if a couple couldn't conceive a second child, divorce would be imminent. I heard somewhere that its one of the top 3 reasons for divorce. Infertility is the the 'damaging' factor to the couple, I was refering to in my earlier post.

IUD's are cheaper. Uterine cancer, let alone cervix cancer has been traced to it. Number one birth control device during the 1960's in the USA. I wouldn't muster the courage to use it.[/B]

"But of course this is an exaggerated misconception. The most common type of contraceptive currently used in Egypt is the IUD (Intra Uterine Device)." ... was in reference to the misconception that the pill causes infertility. I quoted you incorrectly. My apologies ...

It's of no doubt that infertility would lead to divorce in many cases, and especially in Egypt.

As for IUDs, I think the main reason they are used are that they are both convenient (as compared to the pill or condoms) and long lasting (i think each can remain for up to 5 years). I personally, am not in favor of IUDs.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically temporary contraception is allowed by Islam, but the debate tends to centre more round whether it is desirable under certain circumstances or disliked generally. The type of contraception has to be one that stops fertilization and not one that aborts a fertilized egg as some IUDs do and the side-effects should not harm the woman, the man, or any possible children that will subsequently come. Permanent contraception is not generally allowed, unless it is done to protect the life of the mother; similarly abortion, although there are some scholars who do say that abortion is permissible within the first 120 days under certain circumstances.

The pill is available over the counter, without a prescription, here in Cairo certainly if not other parts of the country, and I know of newly married couples who have obtained it in this way. It was favoured over IUDs for the damage that IUDs can potentially do and the disturbances they frequently cause in women’s menstrual cycle by excessively prolonging their periods, particularly in this part of the world.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ola:
i want to know if abortion is legal i nEgypt or no?i live in Hurghada and where can i find doktor who will make an abortion or give my pills?or can i buy this abortion's pills in pharamcy?

quote:
i visited already doktor and he didn't agree.i try to find dockto because 1 months ago i was sick for bladder and i toke many pills and i am afraid with my husband this child is defected.in my country also is not allowed.if i don't find doctor i will born this child and try to make him good life but is better to make an abortion.but how get this pills?not only ru 486.

Ola, for whatever reason I have a strong feeling that you don't want to give birth to this child. And you should leave it up to the doctors if an abortion is even recommended. Did you make a pregnancy test yet? And what is your husband saying all about it? I mean, is he entirely agreeing with your thoughts? You see, you are probably pregnant but to come to an Muslim country and aim to have an abortion there is a totally wrong thought. Of course no doctor will agree with you. Ensure you whether pregnant or not and you and your husband have to figure things out.

Please rethink your decision because children are something beautiful and everlasting in your life. You might consider something you will totally regret later on down the road. Accept that you are probably becoming a mother and look forward to it with the help of your husband, your family and your friends. Please keep the baby. Good luck!

Tigerlily ("3times Mommy" )

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairoexpat
Member # 1023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairoexpat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Ola

Sorry none of our ES experts could help you. I believe what you’re asking for is help and information, not personal opinions or condemnation. The answer to your first question is yes abortion is technically illegal. However, like everything else in this country people are willing to look the other way and everything and anything can be bought in this country. That’s why Egypt is such a great place to live.

There are doctors in Cairo that can assist you, it does cost money, and the clinics are safe and clean. But like anything else in life you get what you pay for. As for this pill everyone is talking about (RU-480) I’m sure it’s here somewhere, I’ll ask around. Have you consider other options, some of the more common prenatal birth defect test are available here and might be a possible solution to your worries about having an abnormal baby. Some of those tests are ultrasound, amniocentesis, and chorionic villus sampling (CVS). Once again these tests are available but they can be costly, and might have to be performed more then once. Why don’t you consider visiting a good prenatal doctor in Cairo for second opinion before you commit yourself to something you might regret later? And if you still feel the same way then post again.

Posts: 133 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I don't know what other pills you are talking about, but if you mean the regular "pill" - there are several manufacturers available in Egypt, cost btw. LE15-30 depending on the brand. They're usually manufactured in Europe and are available in every pharmacy WITHOUT a Drs prescription. I don't know all the brands but one I have heard of is Gynera.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is black market kind of stuff. No pharmacist would ever carry RU-480.

Mind you, you will probably have to follow and make friends with a prostitute or two to find an abortionist. And a possible shady doctor to provide RU-480.

Finding a legit doctor to dispense birth control pills you take every day is difficult too. But getting on the pill and being consistant is far easier than looking for an abortionist.

sonomode is an expert on abortion to,
and she also know who to get them, Ola, you shold follow here lead, she knows everything about everything. specially when it is immoral, but be aware , one day she will look down at you because you wanted to do an abortion.
ShAME on you.

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by welsafty:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sonomod:
[b]This is black market kind of stuff. No pharmacist would ever carry RU-480.

sonomode is an expert on abortion to,
and she also know who to get them, Ola, you shold follow here lead, she knows everything about everything. specially when it is immoral, but be aware , one day she will look down at you because you wanted to do an abortion.
ShAME on you.

[/B][/QUOTE]

How dare you, Welsafty. That isn't my opinion at all. Don't put words in my mouth.

Personally I feel abortion is a human right. My husband disagrees with me completely. But he does acknowledge the quickening date.

Somehow its always men who are behind the movement to take a woman's right to choose her options away from her.

Some of this is personal experience. When I was in Egypt last I tried to get my hands on some ortho novum because I don't have health insureance here and its costs upwards of $35 a montly package. My brother-in-law meekly took me around to find some. And if you think about it, 15-30LE is alot of green for a couple who lives off of 200LE a month.

Personally in my opinion a couple who have 3 kids already or are not able to take on an addition child due to economics should be able to choose on their own. Think of what happens when a couple isn't given a choice.

Now my brother-in-law is a pharmacist who is heavily negative towards USA. If a taboo topic like this comes up he's going to cop the moral highground. Mind you my relatives have very little contact with foreigners. And are part of a generation becoming increasingly religiously conservative.

And recently our weekly periodical of everything left for our metropolitan area did a article on just such a topic.
http://citypages.com/databank/26/1264/article12987.asp

Read the above article and consider whether policy of small independantly owned pharmacies could cop this defense or if Egyptian parliment has every passed a law of this stature? Think, they probably have. Now where the Hell is Mzeden?

Welsafty KISS MY @SS!!! I am one of theose ultra left liberals.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your brother in law is really a pharmacist, then you would know you don't need a doctor's prescription for anything in Egypt. You just walk into a pharmacy. So why write otherwise in the first place and try to mislead someone.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
If your brother in law is really a pharmacist, then you would know you don't need a doctor's prescription for anything in Egypt. You just walk into a pharmacy. So why write otherwise in the first place and try to mislead someone.

Grow up. I had to carry my prescription with for Zantac and Ortho Novum. I don't know if this was because I would be carrying these meds out of the country or what?

And there are things you need prescriptions for, like anti-anxiety meds like xanax. Which is an old standby. I didn't have a prescription and my brother-in-law was only able to obtain a 2 month supply of samples.

ExptinCAI, do you work in the medical field?

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's right, you can get almost everything over the counter here, antibiotics, antidepressants, birth control pills; it's quite shocking actually.

You should have checked out otlob.com when they were still selling pharmaceuticals ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
She's right, you can get almost everything over the counter here, antibiotics, antidepressants, birth control pills; it's quite shocking actually.

You should have checked out otlob.com when they were still selling pharmaceuticals ...

I was able to get more antibotics, but I couldn't get a much of the xanax. Xanax costs at least $70. and $90 for non-generic, here in the USA.

otlob.com is cool, but only 6 restuarants deliver to my neighborhood in Alex.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Grow up? Is that your way of saying you don't know what you post about? How can you say your brother in law is a pharmacist and not know how cheap Xanax was in Egypt? He should have been supplying you with truckloads! Yes these days it's hard to find that brand name, but two years ago it was everywhere and it wasn't more than LE20 or 30. Lady, your stories are unraveling - better stick to your INS stuff, which none of us can bother looking up.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Grow up? Is that your way of saying you don't know what you post about? How can you say your brother in law is a pharmacist and not know how cheap Xanax was in Egypt? He should have been supplying you with truckloads! Yes these days it's hard to find that brand name, but two years ago it was everywhere and it wasn't more than LE20 or 30. Lady, your stories are unraveling - better stick to your INS stuff, which none of us can bother looking up.

It isn't the cost that kept me from buying the Xanax it was the prescription. You must be wasted by now, because you aren't even reading my posts correctly.

My brother-in-law knows what the laws and policies are when it comes to dispensing prescriptions. He is planning to open his own pharmacy in due time. He is waiting for the economy to turn up. He is in charge of a pharmacy department at a hospital so he won't go around bending, braking rules just for me.

But as anyone knows, foreigners are worth bending braking rules for, if a foreigner can't speak or read Arabic anything goes. The same laws for Egyptians don't apply to foriegners, its just down on paper, not in practice.

Give it a rest.

cairoexpat
Member # 1023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairoexpat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I need help

Ok village girl, you asked me to let you know when you’re making an ASS of yourself. Well you’re making an ASS out of yourself! Go take your MEDS.

Posts: 133 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Never asked you for that. Go chase your lola.
1mangang
Member # 6403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1mangang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sonomod didnt get slapped today by the desperate boyfriend/hubby/mealticket
so shes back here for her daily dose of bitch slap!!!

Posts: 751 | From: US OF A | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

quote:

It isn't the cost that kept me from buying the Xanax it was the prescription. You must be wasted by now, because you aren't even reading my posts correctly.

My brother-in-law knows what the laws and policies are when it comes to dispensing prescriptions. He is planning to open his own pharmacy in due time. He is waiting for the economy to turn up. He is in charge of a pharmacy department at a hospital so he won't go around bending, braking rules just for me.

But as anyone knows, foreigners are worth bending braking rules for, if a foreigner can't speak or read Arabic anything goes. The same laws for Egyptians don't apply to foriegners, its just down on paper, not in practice.

Give it a rest.

It's quite funny what happens when you get caught in one of your lies. You try to tell me I can't read, or I'm drunk or that I can't "let it go."

Let me spell it out for you. A doctor's prescription is NOT needed. Your sweet brother-in-law does not need to bend any rules and any Egyptian can walk into a pharmacy and buy medicine without a dr's prescription in Egypt.

Stop making up stuff.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the original subject of this thread ...

Abortions Are Illegal and Common in Egypt
Monday, April 12, 2004

Women seek abortions throughout Egypt, even though religious and civil law bars the procedures. Some 35 percent are done without any medical supervision.

CAIRO (WOMENSENEWS) -- Abortion is illegal here and barred by religious authorities. Nevertheless, pregnant women, often at great personal risk, regularly find a way to end unwanted pregnancies.

Ahlam is one such woman. "It was the worst news of my life," says Ahlam, her eyes filling with tears. "I didn't want to do it. I knew it was forbidden by God." But her doctor said Ahlam (not her real name) and the fetus were infected with toxoplasmosis, a relatively common disease transmitted by house cats or through under-cooked meat. In Ahlam's case, tests of her amniotic fluid showed that the disease crossed the placenta wall and infected the fetus, drastically increasing the chance of birth defects and blindness.

With only three months left in her pregnancy, Ahlam had an abortion. Women like Ahlam make the choice despite the strong condemnations from local religious leaders. For example, Al-Azhar mosque, Egypt's foremost religious authority, issued a fatwa in January that says that "it is impermissible for the mother to induce abortion if it is proven that the fetus is deformed or suffers from mental retardation . . . It is not a justifiable excuse."

The fatwa only adds to the already existing religious doctrine, supported by Egyptian law that forbids abortion unless the mother's life is in imminent danger. The illegality of abortion in Egypt is a relatively recent phenomenon, however. According to the authors of "Planning the Family in Egypt," medieval Muslim texts contain “descriptions of female contraceptive methods and abortificants,” suggesting that the practices were once widespread. In addition, there was popular acceptance of abortion in Egyptian society until it was outlawed by Muhammad Ali in the 1830s, reportedly to increase the male population available for his armies. Current religious rulings and civil law have not stopped abortions in Egypt, however. They have only made them increasingly unsafe. As governments in North America and Europe clarify their positions on abortion through legislation, scholars of religious law in Egypt have likewise sought rulings that make clear the conditions under which an abortion is permissible under Egypt's Islam.

Most Middle Eastern countries expressly forbid abortion unless the life of the mother is in imminent danger. Tunisia, however, is the exception to the rule and permits abortions on request. Adding a sense of urgency to the discussions, advances in pre-natal care have made unsafe pregnancies and fetal abnormalities easier to detect. To meet the need, many foreign-trained Egyptian gynecologists now offer abortions in private clinics. However, these relatively safe procedures are not available to most women.

Attempts to reduce the rate of abortion in Egypt or make it safer for women, routinely run up against religious, cultural and sexual barriers. While there are no exact numbers, there is no question, that abortion rates in Egypt are high. A 1996 study of 1,300 Egyptian women by the Cairo Demographic Center found that one-third had tried to terminate a pregnancy. This is slightly lower than in the United States, where about 40 percent of women have had an abortion at some point in their lives.

A 1998 study by Egyptian researchers and published by the New York-based Population Council extrapolated from the rate of post-abortion treatment in Egyptian public hospitals to find the overall abortion rate. After studying over 22,000 admissions to hospital gynecology departments, researchers found that out of every 100 pregnancies, 15 were ended by induced abortion. About 35 percent of abortions in Egypt are done without any medical supervision, according to the Population Council study. Prices and Hygiene Vary Dramatically

A physician who performs an abortion here faces three years in prison. For many doctors, however, the financial gains of performing abortions outweigh the legal and moral risks. A professional and safe medical abortion costs about LE3,000 or about $460 in a private clinic in Egypt. Ahlam was lucky. Her abortion was done by a doctor under sanitary conditions.

Of course, most women can't afford such a hefty price tag. As a result, most abortions in Egypt are done at home without medical supervision. The average annual income in Egypt is about LE26,000 ($4,000). And the World Bank reports that about 17 percent of families live on less than $2 per day. In addition, husbands often demand a strict accounting of how their wives spend money. For between LE500 and LE1,000, ($150) doctors or midwives will perform abortions in less than sanitary conditions and with unsophisticated equipment.

Many women try to end their pregnancies by taking overdoses of aspirin or quinine, risking their own lives, as well as harm to the fetuses. Others take herbal douches, including concoctions of mashed onion leaves or moulikhiya, a local plant similar to spinach. They also use cotton stalks, palm fronds or goose feathers soaked in gasoline to dislodge the fetus from the uterine wall. Only education about contraceptives and reproductive health can reduce these practices and overall abortion rates, says Iman Bibars, the head of the Association for the Development and Enhancement of Women. The association is a nongovernmental organization which conducts health awareness programs for some of Egypt's poorest women.

Bibars adds that women occupy "a traditionally neglected and disempowered segment of Egyptian society," despite their important role within families. Breaking through the religious and cultural barriers is not easy, however.

"Virginity belongs to the family," she says, not to the woman. "The key question is 'who controls a woman's body?'"

Islam here is founded on the belief that the human body belongs to God and, according to Egyptian tradition, a woman belongs to her father before marriage and her husband after marriage. "It is this sense of family honor, which comes from our blend of Islam and Arab and African culture that prevents women from understanding their own bodies," says Bibars.

"The problems we have with abortion, the problems with promoting contraception and women's health, these are all symptoms of this obsession with honor. The only way for this to be settled is to have a transparent, open, public debate about what honor means and who ultimately controls a woman's body. Let's ask ourselves these questions," says Bibars.

She adds that when the association holds workshops on women's health, the resistance is fierce--and not only from the target communities. Some of the association's own staff refuses to attend such workshops if they revolve around gynecological health.

There are currently no groups in Egypt that deal specifically with abortion. Bibars says it is impossible for non-governmental organizations to take on the task. "You would be terrorized by everyone and probably shut down in the end." Instead, groups like Bibars' focus on educating women about contraceptive methods as a way to reduce unwanted pregnancies. Contraceptives are widely available in Egypt, but many in rural areas don't use them properly.

"People say if we make it legal, it will be used as birth control," says Bibars. "But look--it already is and it will be forever." Christopher Walker is a writer based in Cairo.

<< Women’s Enews -- 4/12/04 >>

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

How dare you, Welsafty. That isn't my opinion at all. Don't put words in my mouth.

how dare I ?, Very simple, ,,, LIke this

I didnt put words in your mouth, at all, if you read what you post, ( once before you actually post it ) you will find that you did PUT that on your own mouth

quote:

Welsafty KISS MY @SS!!! I am one of theose ultra left liberals.

mm ?? What ??
Was that an invitation???
Was it a desperate request???
I thought you already have your bad boy for such things.

I know it.
I knew you A$$ is available for everyone, but hey, have some decency and don’t promote it in this public and slutty way.
Anyway, I am sorry to OFFICIALLY decline your invitation/request.
I suggest you clean it up first and then start promoting it somewhere else.
It stinks

[This message has been edited by welsafty (edited 13 March 2005).]

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
quote:
I don't know what other pills you are talking about, but if you mean the regular "pill" - there are several manufacturers available in Egypt, cost btw. LE15-30 depending on the brand. They're usually manufactured in Europe and are available in every pharmacy WITHOUT a Drs prescription. I don't know all the brands but one I have heard of is Gynera.
hey man, I have finished the initial work on the other forum I told you about and I am still very intrested in your help. http://www.egsearch.com
email me and I will give you super rights on the site

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsafty:
hey man, I have finished the initial work on the other forum I told you about and I am still very intrested in your help.

After more than a year of being a member on this site you haven't noticed that Expat's a woman???

welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by welsafty:
[b] hey man, I have finished the initial work on the other forum I told you about and I am still very intrested in your help.

After more than a year of being a member on this site you haven't noticed that Expat's a woman???

[/B][/QUOTE]

Ohh, no, you must be kidding me,

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waleed, would a man know any brand of contraceptives???????
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure how current and uptodate the list is on this site, but found just about everything and anything here that is available in Egypt at any local pharmacy without a prescription.

If you know the generic name of the drug you are looking for, it can be searched on this site for the local tradename.

http://pharmwebegypt.com/serv_drug.asp

This is another searchable database.
http://www.health.egnet.net/health/drugser.htm

[This message has been edited by Laura (edited 13 March 2005).]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
It's quite funny what happens when you get caught in one of your lies. You try to tell me I can't read, or I'm drunk or that I can't "let it go."

Let me spell it out for you. A doctor's prescription is NOT needed. Your sweet brother-in-law does not need to bend any rules and any Egyptian can walk into a pharmacy and buy medicine without a dr's prescription in Egypt.

Stop making up stuff.

You are so sour. I have a different experience than you. Simple as that.

Yet I have different reasons for being in Egypt than you do.

I glad we have nothing in common. Thank God for simple mercies.

welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

I donno, I wouldn't !!!
but a medical profissional would, Uahhaaa, Gotchya lol

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Not sure how current and uptodate the list is on this site, but found just about everything and anything here that is available in Egypt at any local pharmacy without a prescription.

If you know the generic name of the drug you are looking for, it can be searched on this site for the local tradename.

http://pharmwebegypt.com/serv_drug.asp

This is another searchable database.
http://www.health.egnet.net/health/drugser.htm

[This message has been edited by Laura (edited 13 March 2005).]

Actually thanks for posting this, because I found the law regarding this matter. You must register in order to access the information. Here's a tidbit and hyperlink:

Article (10)

There shall be no dispensation of the materials and the preparations of the first schedule from the public pharmacies expect against a medical prescription amongst those prescriptions which are stamped by the Syndicates Union of the Medical Professions, and which shall be independently withdrawn from the patient and entered in the ledger of the psyche-materials stated under Article (9).

http://pharmwebegypt.com/spin_pharmacylaw_chapter_13.asp

And here's the entire thing:

Specilized Information: Egyptian Pharmacy Law

MINISTRY OF HEALTH

DECREE NUMBER 487 OF THE YEAR 1985
CONCERNING THE ORGANIZATION AND REGULATION OF THE CIRCULATION OF SOME PHARMACEUTICAL MATERIALS AND PREPARATIONS AFFECTING THE PSYCHOLOGICAL CONDITION

The Minister of Health.

After cognizance of Law no. 127 of the year 1955 concerning the practice of the pharmaceutical profession; and the laws amending and implementing it;

And Law number 183 of the year 1960 concerning the anti-drugs campaign, the organization of Their use and trading thereof, and the decrees implementing;

And decree number 301 of the year 1976 concerning the organization and circulation of some pharmaceutical materials and preparations affecting the psychological condition, and the complementary and amending decrees thereof numbers 372 , 506 of the year 1981 and decree number 327 of the year 1982, and decree number 711 of the year 1983, and decree number 120 of the year 1984;

And the resolution of the Drugs Committee and the United Nations dated 7/2/1984 including some materials in the fourth schedule of the psychological protocol of 1971;

And the Ministerial Decree number 124 of the year 1985 concerning the organization of the circulation of some pharmaceutical materials and preparations affecting the psycho-condition;

And what has been submitted to us by the Dr./Head of the Central Department of the Pharmaceutical Affairs;

HAS DECREED:

Article (1)

The materials affecting psychological condition, as regards the application of the provisions of this decree, are considered those materials and preparations indicated in the schedules attached to this decree.

Article (2)

The factories of medicines are obligated to inform the Central Department of the Pharmaceutical Affairs, sufficiently before starting to manufacture each any every preparation subject of the first schedule. This said Department shall have to control all the manufacturing and storing stages in these factories.

Article (3)

It is prohibited to sell or distribute these items expect by the way and through the Medicines Trading Egyptian Company & its branches. The companies producing these items shall have to transfer the whole of their production to the said company. The importers of these items shall also have to deliver all the imported quantities thereof to the said company.

Article (4)

The main warehouses at the Medicines Trading Egyptian Company shall enter these items in a ledger duly authorized, approved and numbered by the Central Department of the Pharmaceutical Affairs;in which shall be indicated the quantities received and those delivered to the branches of the company and the supply branches of the hospitals,under mention of the date of receipt or delivery, and the items received or delivered both quantitatively and qualitatively.

Article (5)

Each one of the branches of the Medicines Trading Egyptian Company or the hospitals supply shall hold a ledger duly approved and numbered by the Pharmacy Department at the competent hygienic affairs division. This ledger and these medicines shall be in the charge of a pharmacist. In it shall be entered updately the receipts and the deliveries of these medicines both quantitatively and qualitatively.

Article (6)

The public pharmacies shall receive from the branch to which they are attached the following quota of the materials and the preparations included in the first schedule... enclosed with this decree as a monthly maximum;

Ten grammes of the materials indicated therein.
Ten packages of the smallest or least packages for the preparation in terms of ampoules, tablets, capsules, suppositories, syrups and drops.
One Hundred and Fifty ampoules of alphacamphine... One Hundred centimeters of stadole.
Article (7)

The night service pharmacies and the pharmacies of the Medicines Trading Egyptian Company are authorized to exceed these said quantities, at a maximum of three times the quota of the public pharmacy.

Article (8)

The licensed and authorized private hospitals shall receive a quota which shall be determined by the Pharmacy Department at the competent Hygienic Affairs Division, and according to the rules laid down by the Pharmaceutical Affairs Central Department in association with the competent Central Department at the Ministry.

These items shall be a charge in trust at the hospital pharmacy.

In case of the non-existence of a pharmacy at the hospital, they shall be the charge of a doctor who shall be specialized for that by the hospital management, and whose name shall be notified to the competent Pharmaceutical Department.

Article (9)

Each and every pharmaceutical organization or establishment ( public or private pharmacy ) or private hospital without a pharmacy to which shall be dispensed pharmaceutical preparations affecting the psycho-condition and indicated in the first schedule, shall hold a ledger for the entry of these items and which shall be duly approved and numbered by the competent Pharmaceutical.

Department, indicating therein the date of receipt and take over, and that of delivery and dispensation both quantitatively and Qualitatively. These entities shall undertake upkeep the ledgers and the prescriptions under strength of which these items shall be dispensed for the period of five years, thoughout which they shall be the charge of the manager of the pharmacy or the doctor appointed by the hospital management as the case may be.

Article (10)

There shall be no dispensation of the materials and the preparations of the first schedule from the public pharmacies expect against a medical prescription amongst those prescriptions which are stamped by the Syndicates Union of the Medical Professions, and which shall be independently withdrawn from the patient and entered in the ledger of the psyche-materials stated under Article (9).

The materials of the second schedule shall not be dispensed except by means of a medical prescription from amongst the prescriptions of the Syndicates Union of the Medical Professions independently stamped or including other medicines, with its being stamped by the stamp of the pharmacy, in order to avoid dispensation duplication.

This is subject to the quantity prescribed and dispensed from amongst the psycho-affecting-materials not exceeding the quantities stated in the preamble of the attached schedules.

Article (11)

It is a must to indicate in the medical prescription consecrated for the dispensation of those preparations : the name of the patient, his address, the number of his identity or family identity card, or the name, address and number of the identity or family card of whoever has undertaken the dispensation.

These prescriptions shall not be dispensed after the expiry and lapse of five days after writing them down, or if they would contain an erasure, a deletion or a rectification... The quantity dispensed must not exceed the quantities indicated in the attached schedules.

Article (12)

When receiving and taking over these items from the Medicines Trading Egyptian Company, the pharmaceutical organizations or establishments shall have to submit an application duly bearing the stamp of the pharmacy ( poisons ) and duly signed by the manager of the pharmacy. The branch of the said company shall write down a term -sale being prohibited and banned.

When receiving these items, the pharmacy shall have to approve a copy of the sale invoice to be signed by the pharmacist manager. It shall be kept for the period of five tears in the pharmacy. Furthermore, a copy of the stamped invoice shall be kept at the branch of the company for the same period attached to the dispensation application.

Article (13)

The branches of the Medicines Trading Egyptian Company shall sent a monthly list of the dispensed of these preparations to the Pharmacy Department at the competent Hygienic Affairs Division, in which shall be indicated the names of the pharmaceutical organizations and the dispensed preparations both quantitatively and qualitatively,together with the balance of each kind at the end of the month. A copy shall be sent to the Central Department of the Pharmaceutical Affairs, for follow up purposes.

Article (14)

The pharmacies of night services and the pharmacies of the Medicines Trading Egyptian Company shall undertake to make available the kinds of materials and preparations of a psycho-affecting nature.

Article (15)

It must be observed to apply the provisions of this decree when registering new preparations which would contain one of the materials indicated in the attached schedules..which shall be included under the adequate schedule on basis of a resolution from the Technical Committee for Medicines Control.

Article (16)

The Medicines Control Technical Committee shall have to check up the registration files of the preparations registered and which contain materials indicated in this decree in such a way as would guarantee not misusing them as follows:

The amendment of the quantity according to the packing which was previously registered.
Adding the necessary warnings in the pamphlet or card or packing.
The transfer of any material or preparation from one schedule to the other.
Article (17)

It is hereby impermissible to distribute free medical samples of the materials and preparations indicated in the schedules attached to this decree.An assessment of the quantities available,at the time of putting the provisions of this decree into force,in any of the scientific offices or the companies shall be made and a listing thereof shall be delivered to the Medical Supply General Department at the Ministry.

Article (18) *

The dispensation of the quota resolved for the pharmaceutical organization and establishments of the psycho-affecting materials and medicines shall be on basis of a written agreement and approval from the Pharmacy Department concerned at the Hygienic Affairs Division valid for the period of sixty days, to be renewed thereafter for similar periods. it is permissible not to issue this approval or agreement if it is proved to Pharmaceutical Inspection that the pharmacy manager is not present, or that the pharmacy has closed for long periods. Dispensation approval shall be granted in case of the discontinuance of these reasons.

It is also permissible, by resolution from the Head of the Central Department for Pharmaceutical Affairs, on basis of a submission from the Pharmacy Department concerned at the Hygienic Affairs Division, to stop the dispensation of the quota resolved for the pharmaceutical organizations and establishments out of the psycho-affecting materials and medicines in case it is evidenced that registration into the log or register consecrated for this purpose is not regularly done, or in case of its loss or not keeping it, or the loss of the prescriptions under strength of which these medicine were dispensed or delivered dispensation shall be resumed in case of the discontinuance of these reasons.

Article (19)

The sanctions stipulated upon under Law 127 of the year 1955 shall be applied and inflicted upon those violators of the provisions of this decree, under advice to the competent syndicate of the defaulter or violator.

Article (20)

Decree number 301 of the year 1976 and the amending and complementary decrees thereof, and the Ministerial Decree number 124 of the year 1985 referred to shall hereby by canceled.

Article (21)

This decree shall be published in the Egyptian Official Gazette, and shall be put into effect as from the date of its having been promulgated.

Issued on : 7/10/1985

MINISTER OF HEALTH

PROF. DR./ HELMI EL HADIDI

* Article no.18 replaced by decree of the Minister of Health no.409 of the year 1994. The Egyptian Official Gazette no.36 of 11/2/1995.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so there's the low down. maybe I will get lucky and find a similar information for reproductive contraceptives.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Oh and I found this too

SCHEDULE TWO
THE READY- MADE PHARMACEUTICAL
MATERIALS AND PREPARATIONS

The following materials, and the ready -made pharmaceutical preparations which contain any one of them, must not be dispensed and delivered expect by medical prescription, with dispensation not repeated expect by written permission from doctor.

Tid bit and hyperlink first:

Abortive medicines with the exception of Quinine and its salts.

and this one:

The preparations of antibiotics with the exception of Penicillin, as well as the preparations thereof which are from the exterior.

Hyperlink: http://pharmwebegypt.com/spin_pharmacylaw_chapter_9.asp

and complete article:

Specilized Information: Egyptian Pharmacy Law

SCHEDULE ONE

SCHEDULE TWO THE READY- MADE PHARMACEUTICAL MATERIALS AND PREPARATIONS

SCHEDULE THREE NARCOTICS

SCHEDULE FOUR THE MEDICINES WHICH THE PHARMACIST MAY DISPENSE BY MEANS OF A PREPARATION WRITTEN DOWN BY THE MIDWIFE

SCHEDULE FIVE

SCHEDULE SIX

SCHEDULE SEVEN THE SCHEDULE OF PERFUMERS AND DRUGGISTS(ATTARINE)

SCHEDULE EIGHT

SCHEDULE ONE

Being the materials and substances which must be kept and preserved in isolated places, duly wrapped up, and writing thereupon the phrase " toxic materials " , together with the drawing of a skull and two bones, as indicated hereunder :

Arsenic- its derivatives and compounds.
Antione /Antimone- its compounds and derivatives.
Mercury- its compounds and derivatives.
Cyandric /Cyanuric acid and its salts.
Aconite tuber- its extract and dye.
Acontine.
Pladona and its extracts.
Kinds of Digitala and their active glucoses.
Calabar beans.
Ezirine and its salts.
Kinds of Estrophantos and their active glucoses.
The Gaborandi and its active alkaloids.
Dionine.
Codaine and its salts.
Coniine and its salts.
Cotarnine and its salts.
Ametine and salts and derivatives.
Homatrophine and its salts.
Hyosine and its salts.
Hyocyamine and its salts.
Nicotine and its salts.
Papaverine and its salts.
Strychnine and its salts.
Aricoline and its salts.
Thebaine and its salts.
Thiocorarine and its salts.
Ipecacacuanha or ipecac and its extract.
Barbituric acid, its salts and its derivatives.
Barim and its salts.
Baryakol.
Opaine.
Pecrotoxine.
Sapin /Yew and its volatile oil.
Rue /Herb of grace and its volatile oil.
Luperlia and its extract.
Lupulin and its salts.
Curara.
Bohempine and its salts.
Kola, Leaves, fruits and extract therof, with the dye thereof.
Prussine and its salts.
Terydione.
Adrenaline and its salts.
Oxalic acid and its salts.
Iodine.
Silver salts.
Formaline.
Pheniline and derivatives.
Hydnocarpus oil = Choulmoogra oil.
Thistle (Lahlah).
Colechesine and salts thereof.
Thorn apple (Datura Stramonium) and extract thereof.
Henbane/Henbell/Hyoscyamus Niger and extract thereof.
Phenol.
Pioroic acid.
Nux vomica and extract.
Sulfanilmide and derivatives (The Sulfa compounds and their derivatives).
Thallium salts.
Yellow Jasmine / Gelisium and the alkaloids thereof.
Sabadilla and its active alkaloids.
Ergot and its active alkaloids.
Atropine and salts thereof.
Alcohol Tribromormethyl.
Zinc phosphide.
Santonin.
Local and general anesthetics.
Lead salts.
Bromine (Br).
Choralydrates.
Amylnitrates.
Pyridine.
Acridine derivatives.
Conopodium oil.
Hydnocarpus oil and derivatives.
Croton oil.
Amidopyrine and its salts.
The Zaeeah dye.
Cantharidine.
Podophylline.

SCHEDULE TWO
THE READY- MADE PHARMACEUTICAL
MATERIALS AND PREPARATIONS

The following materials, and the ready -made pharmaceutical preparations which contain any one of them, must not be dispensed and delivered expect by medical prescription, with dispensation not repeated expect by written permission from doctor.

Adrenaline for injections.
The general and local anesthetic materials with the exception of their preparations which are used from the exception of their preparations which are used from the exterior, as well as the chloroform water and the ether spirit.
The opium alkaloids, their salts and derivatives with the exception of papaverine in general and Dionine and Codaine in the oral use and the use from the exterior.
The rancid(Zarareeh pl. of zarrah) with the exception of the preparations used externally or from the exterior.
Croton seed oil (Habb Al-Mulook)- Curara, its alkaloids, its derivatives and its salts.
Cyanuric acid salts, with the exception of the preparations which are used from the outside.
The Cyanuric acid, apart from the preparations containing less than 15% thereof.
Digital in all its kinds-leaves-powder-dye-extract, its active origins and the glucose compounds.
The Thyroid gland extract and Thyroxine- The Antimony salts and the derivatives thereof.
Amentine and its salts with the exception of the preparations which contain less than 1% of Amentine.
Antimony salts and its extracts and derivatives.
Yellow Jasmine Alkaloids and the salts thereof.
Koka-leaves and fruits and powder with the exception of the preparations Which contain less than 1 per thousand of the alkaloids.
Mercury salts and compounds for injection.
The extract and dye of the cottons roots and the active origins thereof.
Pinoropal-and Spain and Rue, and their leaves, powders and roots.
The extracts of the Barbituric acid.
Ergot and its compounds.
Strophantine and its compounds.
All the preparations which contain narcotic materials at a rate less than tow per thousand of Morphine or Cocaine.
The Sulfa such as : The Sulfaguanidine, and the Sulfasuccidine and the Sulfataldine, as well as their compounds used from the exterior.
Thyorasile and its compounds.
Thallium acetate and the compounds thereof- Pycrotoxine and its compounds.
Cortisone and what is similar to it in effect.
Arsenic salts and its compounds and its derivatives.
Conyme and its compounds.
Bromure or Ether Triethulchore or what is similar thereto in effect, as well as the other compounds which are used for the relaxation of the Sympathic Nerve.
The materials included in schedules 1 and 2 of the Narcotics Law number 351 of the year 1952.
Heparin and what is similar to it in effect.
Abortive medicines with the exception of Quinine and its salts.
Strychnine and its salts.
Pethtyotrine injection and what is similar to them in effect.
Hormines for injection with the exception of Insulin.
Nutmeg compounds.
The injections used by way of the Medulla.
The preparations of antibiotics with the exception of Penicillin, as well as the preparations thereof which are from the exterior.

SCHEDULE THREE
NARCOTICS

Including the materials and preparations which are considered of a narcotizing nature in accordance with the provisions of Law number 351 of the year 1952, and which must be isolated and kept in a special cabinet or cupboard on which the word (narcotics) must be written down. The pharmacy must always be equipped with some narcotizing ampoules.

SCHEDULE FOUR
THE MEDICINES WHICH THE PHARMACIST
MAY DISPENSE BY MEANS OF A PREPARATION
WRITTEN DOWN BY THE MIDWIFE

Topical or local antiseptics such as Lizol/Lisol . Dethol and the like.
Picric acid solution.
potassium Permanganate solution 1 in the five thousand at most or maximum.
Silver Nitrate solution 5% maximum.
Iodine solution 5% maximum.
Cascara tablets and syrup.
Glycerin Achtyol to 10% and its suppositories.
Argyrole and Protargole drops.
Sulfa drops up to 10%.
Mercurochrome solution.
Dermatole powder.
Sterilized Sulfa powder.
Penicillin.
Vaginal shower preparations out of the Egyptian hospitals pharmacopoeia.
Ergotine ampoules.

SCHEDULE FIVE

The simple materials in which trading is authorized at the simple drugstores. It is a precondition that these items would have to be inside sealed packings, indicating thereupon the name of the item, its quantity, the price thereof, the name of the pharmaceutical organization from which it emanates, its address, the name of the pharmacist who prepared or partitioned the item. It is a must and a precondition that they would be sold in their original packings, with its being forbidden and banned to have them partitioned in the simple drugstores:

Sodium Bicarbonates.
Bucu leaves.
Camomile buds.
Charcoal powder.
Dermatol.
American adhesive plasters and other adhesives with the exception of those which contain toxic or narcotic materials.
Menthol spirits.
Synamca leaves and pods (Senna leaves and pods).
Mallow or Geranium leaves.
Sulphur powder.
English salt.
Sodium Sulphate.
Talc / Talcum.
Disinfectant liquid / fluid (general ).
Linden / Limetree / Tilia.
Glycerin.
Sweet Almond oil.
Castor oil.
Calcified Magnesia.
Mannite.
Paraffin liquid.
Oxygen water.
Liquid insecticides.
Compound Liquorice (Glycyrrhiza) powder.
Quassia wood.
Bolus Alba / Kaolin / China clay kataplasm.
Fig syrup.
Caraway.
Anise / Aniseed.
Canella / Canella Bark.
Simple Court Plaster.
Distilled alcohol.
Linenseed and its powder.
Naphtaline.
Gauza ligaments.
Medical cotton.
Lint - Linter.
Camphor oil.
Cacao butter.
Vaseline in ampoules.
Styles of Indian corn.
Gentiana or bitter apple.
Marsh-mallow.
Chicory or Succory syrup.
Cosmetics.
Sterile gauze.
Idoform gauze.
Quinine Sulphate Tablets.
Cherry stalks.
Black Nightshade.
Rhubarb seeds / tablets
Medical soap.
Vanillia.
Zinc ointment 10% in a tube.
Borax ointment 10% in a tube or in a vial.
Actyol ointment 10% in a tube or in a vial.
Sulphur ointment 10% in a tube or in a vial.
Iodine solution 2.5% in a tube or in a vial.
Tooth pastes.
Ready - made effervescent Sodium Citrate.
Mineral water in its original bottles.
Gummy lozenges.
Lozenges containing Eucalyptus, mint. liquorice or tar.
Lanolin in tubes or vials.
Aspirin tablets.
Violet buds.
Mallow powder.
Cascara Sagrada seeds.
Ready-made eye drops.
Pearl Barley.
Thermometer.
Testes sac.
Artificial breast.
Medical appliances.
Teats.
Enema douche.

SCHEDULE SIX

Inflammable materials and explosive materials and dangerous materials and the maximum quantities which may be stored in the pharmaceutical organizations and in the shops which are authorized to trade in industrial materials:

INFLAMMABLE MATERIALS

Number

20 Litres of Acetone
20 Litres of Benzine / Gasoline
10 Litres of Ether
20 Litres of Turpentine
5 Litres of Carbon Ether
5 Litres of Carbon Sulphide
10 Litres of Collodion
EXPLOSIVE MATERIALS
.0.5 A Kilo of Sodium Chlorate
5 Kilos of Potash / Patassa Chlorate.
5 Kilos of Patassa / Potash Nitrate.
DANGEROUS MATERIALS
20 Kilos of Sulfuric acid
20 Kilos of Nitric acid
20 Kilos of Chlordric acid
10 Litres of alcohol at a degree of 100.
50 Litres of alcohol at a degree of 95
50 Litres of ordinary alcohol
20 Litres of Amylic alcohol
20 Litres of Formole
10 Litres of flexible colldion
1 Kilo of soluble gun cotton
5 Kilos of Sodium Nitrate
250 Grammes of Nitro Glycerin
250 Grammes of Picric acid
10 Kilos of Phosphoric acid
1 Kilo of Nitro Hydrochloric
5 Kilos of Acetic acid

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To store these materials, the following terms and conditions must be observed :

Each one of these three groups is to be placed separately inside wooden boxes in which there shall be a thick layer of soft yellow sand.
The boxes of the three groups are to be placed inside an independent cabinet / cupboard divided into three vertical sections, with each section having its own group, and with this cabinet / cupboard having ventilation holes to be covered from the inside with a textile narrow wire net, with the signboard (Dangerous Materials) being written thereupon.
All liquids / fluids are to be put into thick bottles airtightly and strongly closed, with the remaining materials being placed inside closed and adequate packings.
All bottles and packings are to be filled in outside their storage location.
The Picric Acid is to be placed inside the poisonous cabinet or cupboard isolated from the other toxic or poinsonous materials.
These materials shall have to be placed in one side of the licensed shops related thereto, and in such a way as to make access thereto easy from the street, and away from the fire lighting location.
The necessary of the existence of a foam fire- extinguisher of a capacity of 2 gallons, while placing it at a nearby or proximity lactation.

SCHEDULE SEVEN
THE SCHEDULE OF PERFUMERS
AND DRUGGISTS(ATTARINE)

Being the items of vegetable and herbal drugs, perfumeries and their yields which perfumer-druggists can trade in according to the specifications laid down by the Ministry of Hygiene. They are as follows:

Scent-mixed incense ( Bukhoor Muhawwag ).
Purslane seeds ( Bethr Reglah ).
Quince seeds ( Bethr Safargal ).
Flea-wort seeds ( Bethr Quattounah ).
Linseeds both stone and powder ( bethr Kettan Hassa and Na'em).
Muscadine ( Mesteka Laden ).
Coffee ( Kinds thereof ).
Condiment powder and stone ( Buhar Na'em wa Hassa ).
Bohmol.
Gum dust ( Torab Leban ).
Tamarind, Indian, black number (1)
Tamarind, Indian, Madras, red.
Tamarind with white peel.
Elephant fig ( Teen Feel ).
European benzoin, Kinds of. ( Jawi Afrangui Asnaf ).
Native benzoin (Gawi Baladi ).
Nazarite gum benzoin ( Gawi Tananseri ).
Nigella seed, Syrian, Cypriot and Native. ( Habbet El Barka Shami, Kobrosi wa Baladi ).
Cardamom seed ( Habbahan ).
Green seed ( Habba Khadrah ).
Dear seed (Hebba Ghaliah ).
Bitter hafsh ( Hafsh Morr ).
Henna yield 1,2 and 3.
Begdadi Henna (Henna Beghdadi ).
Hyacinth- Lavender ( Khozamah ).
Galangal / Gulingale ( Khalanguan ).
Arab yeast / leaven ( Khamiratul Arab ).
Chinese dar, yield 1 and 2 ( Dar Sini Thamrah 1,2 ).
Hamawi resras (Rasras Hamawi ).
Basil / Sweet basil (Rayhan ).
Moroccan and ordinary resebud (Zerr ward Marakshi wa 'Adah ).
Thyme (zaatar ).
European saffron / crocus ( Zaafaran Afranki ).
Moroccan saffron / crocus ( Zaafaran Maghrabi ).
Indian, white ginger ( Zangabeel Hindi Abiyad ).
Indian , red ginger ( Zangabeel Hindi Ahmar ).
Japanese, white ginger ( Zangabeel Yabani Abiyad ).
Ginger powder ( Zangabeel Na'em ).
Violette blossoms ( Zahr Banafseg ).
Salep stones ( Sahlab Hassa ).
Salep powder ( Sahlap Na'em ).
Red ang green sugar ( Sokkar Ahmar wa Akhdar ).
Egyptian sugar candy ( Sokker Nabat Masri )
Senna, Kinds of .. (Sanamki asnaf ).
Sendrakah.
Fennel ( Shamar ).
Alum No.1 and 2 ( Shebbeya nemrah 1,2 ).
Nabolsi soap, Kinds of ... (Saboon Nabulsi, asnaf ).
Indian aloes ( Sabr Hindi ).
European aloes ( Sabr Afranki ).
Gum acacia seyal ( Samgh talh )
Gum Arabic Hasshab ( Samgh Hasshab Arabi ).
Sandal wood number 1 and 2 .
Winged ipecacuanha / ipecac ( 'Erq Guenah )
Soapwort, Turkish and Syrian ( 'Erq Guenah ).
Soapwort, Turkish and Syrian ('Erq Halawa Torki wa Shami ).or Saponaria,...
Liquorice-root powder ( 'Erquesus Na'em ).
vLiquorice-root wood pieces ( Erkesus Hatab ).
Safflower ( Osfor ).
Jujube ( Ennab )
Azroot.
White Aloes woodstick ( 'Ood Abyad ).
Aloes woodstick ( 'Ood ).
Susceptible Aloes woodsticks ( 'Oad Kabeli ) 1,2.
Fasoukh- Dorema ammoniacum (Fasookh ).
Black Pepper.
Red Pepper no.1.
Red Salonichi pepper.
Rind ( Quesh Sehha ).
Acacia fruit or pod ( Kard ).
Canella bark powder (Kerfa Na'emah)
Canella bark stone (Kerfa Hassa).
Pink or canation number1 (Koronful 1 )
Camphor ( Kafourah ) .
European cubeb / piper / cubeber ( Kababa Afrangi )
Indian cubeb / piper / cubeber ( Kababa Hindi )
Jammal sulphur (Kabreet Jammal ).
Brimstone roll sulphur stone (Kabreet 'Amood Hassa ).
Brimstone roll sulphur stone (Kabreet 'Amood Na'em ).
Coriander, extra (Kothbarah Extra ).
Coriander, number1.
Red coriander.
Syrian caraway ( Karawya shami ) or carum carvi.
Moroccan and Indian caraway, or carum carvi.
Carcadet.
Curcuma Turmeric stones ( Korkom Hassa )
Curcuma Turmeric no.1 and 2
Native Cherry ( Kreze Baladi ).
Syrian Cherry ( Kreze Shami ).
Native or local cumin ( Kammoon Baladi ).
Syrian cumin ( Kammoon Kobrossi ).
Orchard cumin ( Kammoon Karamani ).
Rose of Jerico ( Kaff Mariam ).
Quinine no.1 and 2 ( Keena ).
Gum Ladanum cloves ( Ladenn Senn ).
Gum Ladanum loves ( Ladenn Fass ).
Gum Ladanum lobe pectinates ( Ladenn Fass Mesht ).
Gum Ladanum ordinary average ( Ladenn Wasat 'Adi ).
Gum Ladanum average pectinates ( Ladenn Wasat Mesht ).
Ordinary frankincense ( Leban Dakar 'Adi )
Olibanum or chewing gum no.1 ( Leban 1 ).
Frankincense pickings ( Leban Dakar Laqt ).
Rosin or calphony ( Lebanah Shami ).
White luffa or vegetable sponge ( Leef Abyad ).
Myrtle tree ( Mersen ).
Colocynth or Gentiana cranium ( Morr Gomgomah ) .
Colocynth or Gentiana lope ( Morr Fass ) .
Turkish mahaleb ( Mahlab Torki ).
Turkish Mesteka no.1 .
Wood of the roots of wild pomegrenate ( Moghat Khashab ).
Wild pomegrenate roots powder ( Moghat Na'em ).
Indian mollifusion ( Nakhwa Hindi ).
Peppermint leaves.
Ethiopian cardamom ( Heil Habashi ).
Aniseed ( Yansoon ).
Garden cresseeds or toungue grass seeds ( Habb Rashed ).

SCHEDULE EIGHT

All the toxic and non-toxic materials and their preparations, and which are used, in general, in industry, whatever their from may be, the trading of which is regulated by a decree from the Minister of Public Hygiene, shall be subject to a review fee to be paid up for the amount of Five Pounds maximum.*

* Schedule eight amended by Law number 253 of the year 1955 previously referred to .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now we actually know from the source.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

thanks for yet again spamming the board with completely useless information that had nothing to do with the topic.

once you actually live in egypt - then feel free to post based on your own experience how things are done, sod.

until then, if you don't know the answer, shut it. stop misinforming people. and stop making everything personal.

nobody is interested.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

What's so strange about that? Don't know any men who get it for their girlfriends / wives at the pharmacy?

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
thanks for yet again spamming the board with completely useless information that had nothing to do with the topic.

once you actually live in egypt - then feel free to post based on your own experience how things are done, sod.

until then, if you don't know the answer, shut it. stop misinforming people. and stop making everything personal.

nobody is interested.

Here you go, I proved you wrong when you called me a lier. This is the actual law and you can't handle the fact that I am in the right.

So sorry sour grapes, enjoy. I probably will be correct continueously. Joys of being sober are immense.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[b]Waleed, would a man know any brand of contraceptives???????

What's so strange about that? Don't know any men who get it for their girlfriends / wives at the pharmacy?

[/B][/QUOTE]

He, he, he, he You've got to be joking Dalia? right? No I am not being sarcastic. I am serious. I am the one to buy the condoms, he walks near them in the store he grabs his balls and winces. (If no one is looking) We are using both and he doesn't want to see the sight of either the pills or the condoms until the action starts.

cairoexpat
Member # 1023

Rate Member
quote:
I Need Help!

No one said there was not an Egyptian law about having a prescription. Were saying you don’t need one. It’s a FACT that you can buy all most any type of drug with out having a prescription. Egyptian laws are not enforced, they are not worth the paper they are written on, ask any Egyptian and they will tell you the same thing. You really need to get out of that small suburb you live in and see the world village girl. Two trips to the goat farms of Minufiya don’t make you an expert on Egypt.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by cairoexpat:
No one said there was not an Egyptian law about having a prescription. Were saying you don’t need one. It’s a FACT that you can buy all most any type of drug with out having a prescription. Egyptian laws are not enforced, they are not worth the paper they are written on, ask any Egyptian and they will tell you the same thing. You really need to get out of that small suburb you live in and see the world village girl. Two trips to the goat farms of Minufiya don’t make you an expert on Egypt.

And often the medications dispensed without prescription is counterfeit.

Counterfeit drugs was one of the top 5 concerns of WTO and WHO for some time now. Not only does it curtail sale of drugs but also puts the public at risk without a papertrail to follow it is unlikely that the authorities can prevent later harm done by counterfeit drugs in kind.

Now you may use whatever insults you want, but the objections were if there was any kind of law regarding non-prescribed drugs of a certian form being dispensed. I knew that there are laws on the books. Whether or not they are being enforced might signify why there are less and less drug stores without the faculty of pharmacists being shut down and how often pharmacists lose their licenses. cairoexpat you are not an expert in these matters, neither am I. But I have done the research.

Not you.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
cairoexpat,

I can only hope the next lassie who entertains you is carrying counterfeit cealis or viagra. I highly doubt that any medical professional would try hard to reverse the damaage that the counterfeit would do to you in particular.

Somewhere on those webpages of pharmegypt.com was a note of how or when viagra was to be introduced into the market. Right now its more of a concern of all the counterfeit viagra jiggling in prostitutes purses.

cairoexpat, keep that in mind the next time your in the mood for fun.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
We are using both and he doesn't want to see the sight of either the pills or the condoms until the action starts.

Mish mumkin ... I'd change the man.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sonomod:
[b] We are using both and he doesn't want to see the sight of either the pills or the condoms until the action starts.

Mish mumkin ... I'd change the man. [/B][/QUOTE]

No its normal, won't change the man. He was like this when I married him, no need to change someone after you've made a commitment. Its a waste of energy.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 15 March 2005).]

welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
quote:
No its normal, won't change the man. He was like this when I married him, no need to change someone after you've made a commitment. Its a waste of energy.
[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 15 March 2005).]

and you still dont want to answer my question about adultery.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com