EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Getting started in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting started in Egypt
ericka
Member # 7451

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ericka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I have visited Cairo twice last year and I plan to move there by this summer. My boyfriend is from the Heliopolis area. He has shown and given me great advice on how to settle here successfully, but he also stated that I should get some opinions from non-Egyptians who have come here to live and to see how their experiences have been so far.

I am from New York (USA), in my mid-thirties and I would like to ask how could a foreigner make it in Cairo? I only speak English, but I plan to learn Arabic. I am an Administrative Assistant and worked in the insurance industry. I do not have a college degree but I am pursuing one in Business Administration. I would like to continue my studies in Cairo and possibly attend classes in the evenings on a part time basis.

Also, are there many American companies located in Cairo or companies in general that are looking for English speaking employees?

Are there any organizations that help foreigners to get around, give tips, plan meetings and/or trips to be better acquainted in their new environment, etc.?

How are the Maadi and New Maadi areas? I hear that many foreigners reside in these areas. I do like the Heliopolis and Nasser City areas.

Any advice given is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by ericka (edited 28 April 2005).]

[This message has been edited by ericka (edited 28 April 2005).]

Posts: 10 | From: Staten Island, NY, United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunted_Porcelain
Member # 7361

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Hunted_Porcelain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Erica,
Welcome aboard!
Though, I still haven't lived in Cairo yet. But I think it's very amazing & unique experience. I'll be moving this summer too. And I'm searching for apartment in Ma'adi.
I think foreigns tend to live in Ma'adi becoz it's very quiet & secured area.
I've ben to cairo couple of times as well, But I've never seen an office to help foreinges to adjust in Cairo.

I'm going to study @ the American University in Cairo & they offer many classes that you might like. They also have arabic classes (I'm not quite sure 100 percent if they offer that for non-students) but you should give it a hit! You'll find the university in Al-Tahreer square. Maybe your bf can get you more info about this thing.
Anyway, glad that we would share this exprience & I hope for you good luck in here.
I know I haven't got enough info but I had to welcome you down here!
Cya

Bob,

Posts: 116 | From: Cairo - Maadi | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ericka
Member # 7451

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for ericka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Bob!

Thank you so much for your well wishes. I'm very pleased of your response. I do plan to attend that same University. My main concern is finding work there, but I'm hopeful.

I just want to wish you the very best in Cairo as well. Take care :-)

quote:
Originally posted by Hunted_Porcelain:
Hey Erica,
Welcome aboard!
Though, I still haven't lived in Cairo yet. But I think it's very amazing & unique experience. I'll be moving this summer too. And I'm searching for apartment in Ma'adi.
I think foreigns tend to live in Ma'adi becoz it's very quiet & secured area.
I've ben to cairo couple of times as well, But I've never seen an office to help foreinges to adjust in Cairo.

I'm going to study @ the American University in Cairo & they offer many classes that you might like. They also have arabic classes (I'm not quite sure 100 percent if they offer that for non-students) but you should give it a hit! You'll find the university in Al-Tahreer square. Maybe your bf can get you more info about this thing.
Anyway, glad that we would share this exprience & I hope for you good luck in here.
I know I haven't got enough info but I had to welcome you down here!
Cya

Bob,

Posts: 10 | From: Staten Island, NY, United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brigitte
Member # 6771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brigitte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ericka,

in Heliopolis and Nasr City also foreigners reside in and it`s not so expensive like Maadi

Posts: 73 | From: Al Rehab City | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ericka
Member # 7451

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for ericka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Brigitte :-)

Thanks for the information.

quote:
Originally posted by brigitte:
Hi Ericka,

in Heliopolis and Nasr City also foreigners reside in and it`s not so expensive like Maadi

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com