EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » general advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: general advice
epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for epose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an american of egyptian origin who recently moved to cairo to work. I'd like any advice or suggestions on where to go or what to join to meet similar and/or cultured ppl. I'm avoiding relatives of a similar age b/c they seem to be more on the "wild side," if you know what I mean. And although I'm not interested in drugs, discos, and chasing bimbos, I'm also not anti-social and would like to form friendships and possibly pursue a serious relationship. Thanks in advance.
Posts: 29 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi how are you? well one way you can meet egyptians is through internet groups. one such group is called sahara safaris, which is made up of a bunch of very well educated people, some of them like you were brought up outside of egypt. they arrange gatherings, and other interesting activites. through them you can start your own network of friends. there is also another really interesting group but for the life of me, i cant remember their name now! hope i helped, take care

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for epose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fine, thank you for asking. I greatly appreciate your help. hopefully things will work out. I'm also looking for a workout/jogging/walking partner in maadi. I workout at the C.S.A., thanks to advice I read in this forum, and so far I'm very satisfied. Anyone else have any info? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by epose (edited 17 May 2005).]

Posts: 29 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for epose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7aya, I took a look at the sahara safaris, but I'm not particularly interested. many of them work in "development," which in fact is a euphemism for wealth-transfers from rich nations to poor nations. they seem to be the post-modern types I couldn't stand in college and would regularly humiliate. if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. nevertheless, I'm still searching for a way to meet ppl. any further help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried the Hash Harriers, it is on the website list. I have heard good things about it.
Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm ... I know many people like the hash, it's definitely not my cup of tea though, I'm not into drinking and silly games. It's supposed to be great for meeting people though.

Epose, I just joined a group that does lots of cultural activities, maybe you're interested:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pen_Temple_Pilots/

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
thank you dalia. I requested membership and hopefully we'll be in contact soon. as far as the hash group, I appreciate the help, however, as I mentioned before, I'm not interested in drugs or any similar "extra-curricular" activities. thanks again.
Julia 13
Member # 7671

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julia 13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I go to the Hash and have to say that nobody takes drugs etc. Okay, generally hashers like one or two beers, but not everybody. And nobody is forced to drink!
Anybody with a sence of humor is wellcome. I know not everybody likes the hash - and this is good. But please, don't judge about something before you have seen it with your own eyes or have talken to somebody you know well + trust.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Julia 13:
But please, don't judge about something before you have seen it with your own eyes or have talken to somebody you know well + trust.

I was speaking from my own experience because I've been there. I wasn't saying it's good or bad or that people take drugs.

It's just that I personally can't relate to that particular kind of humour. And I don't like to be publically forced to take off my T-Shirt, drink or do anything silly. I know people enjoy it and that's fine but I went there in order to go running ... the running was great but I just didn't like the stuff afterwards.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 18 May 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Julia 13:
[b] But please, don't judge about something before you have seen it with your own eyes or have talken to somebody you know well + trust.

I was speaking from my own experience because I've been there. I wasn't saying it's good or bad or that people take drugs.

It's just that I personally can't relate to that particular kind of humour. And I don't like to be publically forced to take off my T-Shirt, drink or do anything silly. I know people enjoy it and that's fine but I went there in order to go running ... the running was great but I just didn't like the stuff afterwards.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 18 May 2005).][/B][/QUOTE]

that sounds like fratboy behavior to me. ppl should generally grow out of that by the time they graduate college. and I'm pretty sure you don't need to join a group to run.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com