EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Idea about good things to buy in Egypt as a present ,and best way to send ..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Idea about good things to buy in Egypt as a present ,and best way to send ..
clarocielo
Member # 7116

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for clarocielo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, i was wondering what kind of interesting things that i can buy here in Egypt as a present to non-egyptian outside Egypt , except those egypitan statues, papyrus ,egypt-made perfume etc,who can give me more idea about good things to buy in Egypt ?and if u do have, pls tell me where i can buy it also .
one more question , what s the best way to send things from Egypt to outside egypt ? DHL ? EMS ? if i need to send a big thing, like a big decoration , like a big statue , what is the good way to send it ? is it possible to ship things to outside egypt ? or it will take one year and not guaranteed for destination arrival as some people said ??
Thanks for feedback.

Posts: 13 | From: egypt | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!
Is it for a lady or for a man? Go to Khan el Khalili, you will get plenty of ideas. I'm not talking of statues etc... but all these things like very beautiful lamps, tea services are nice too. I'm also thinking of something, but I can't find the word in English... something you can use as a chair, but you only buy the leather thing, then people fill it with foam...don't know if you see what I mean, but it's really nice in a salon I find. But really, just go to the Khan, you will come back from there with a lot of gift ideas.
As for how to ship them, I don't know, the best would be to get small and light things, it will be much less expensive, and it will not arrive broken. Or maybe you have some friends going to the country where the person lives? Would be the best if you really buy something big.

[This message has been edited by RaniaMe (edited 14 July 2005).]

Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you like the smell of incense burners, you can find some beautiful wooden boxes that you place the stick in and then the smoke drifts out the holes in the box.
Has the advantage of not being fragile if you send.

Try the top floor ( I think) of the City Stars mall there is very good antiques place.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah also egypt has some great silver. you'll find lots of it in khan el khalili.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by clarocielo:
one more question , what s the best way to send things from Egypt to outside egypt ? DHL ? EMS ? if i need to send a big thing, like a big decoration , like a big statue , what is the good way to send it ?

Just please leave the pyramids where they are, OK?

I do not like souvenirs so much, I like things I can use in everyday life but anyway here's my list of everything I noted down

!!!CAMEL WOOL THINGS!!!
The absolute national treasure No 1 after all archeology, I think

camel wool bed throws, industrial - must be ideal for winters in UK I think and they are cheap too, maybe around 100 EGP

camel wool carpets, handwork, that double up as bed throws because they are so soft and fine

solid wool carpets, industrial, in Alex a 1.5x2.5 cost no more than 750 EGP. You'd pay twice that even for a nylon imitation made in Belgium and thrice that for an equally woolly one, in Europe.

Linen and cotton clothes, difficult to find but when you do they are very good and price is good-to-OK.

Fine wool costumes for men (even Merino for no more than 1500 EGP!)

Egyptian coffee, REALLY delicious, choose the most colourful package and see that it is marked "light roast" for more flavour, and with cardamum for added exotics

Egyptian tea, the usual kind (fine powder), is cheap, settles well and has a really soft taste compared to any other usual black tea. I dropped my ceylons after that, it's difficult to find a really good packed-on-site ceylon anyway

Small stuffed singing camels, OK the whole North africa sells them but they are still sweet, esp. for children and old people

Small and big stuffed angel fish (the Read Sea staple, yellow with white stripes) that either sing or say with a loud clear voice "I love you". Love the kind of love than makes even fish speak

Dolls with oversized inflatable heads, maybe not Egyptian idea but first time I see.

Funny flat plastic combs for short&stiff-haired persons (or maybe dogs? or anyway must be good for dogs also) that look like tiny brushes but with plastic comb-teeth instead of hair

Corals (of course). OK it is not strictly environment-friendly and anyway they are going to be restricted in a couple of years but e.g. a small pendant is not expensive and adds nice spot of colour to any white decolletage

White or coloured cotton beduin scarves sold in souks and streets, around 10-20 EGP depending of size (again, cotton is the most difficult to find). A pashmina-size scarf is good protection against hot or cold.

Can't remember anything more right now..

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clarocielo
Member # 7116

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for clarocielo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks all for yr good idea !
Posts: 13 | From: egypt | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com