EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Latest News, Bomb goes off in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Latest News, Bomb goes off in Egypt
Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CAIRO, Egypt - As many as seven explosions struck the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheik on the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula early Saturday, targeting several hotels and killing at least 25 people, witnesses and police said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday's explosions at 1:15 a.m., when many tourists would have been asleep, shook windows a mile away. Smoke and fire rose from Naama Bay, a main strip of beach hotels in the desert city popular with Israeli and European tourists, witnesses said.

A police official in Sharm el-Sheik said at least 25 were killed and 110 wounded in multiple explosions targeting the Ghazala Gardens and Movenpick hotels in Naama Bay and the Old Market area nearby. Other officials in Sharm said there may have been as many as seven blasts: three in Naama Bay and four in the market.

Amal Mustafa, 28, an Egyptian who was visiting with her family, said she drove by the Ghazala Garden — a 176-room four-star resort on the main tourist strip in Naama — and it was "completely burned down, destroyed."

Khaled Sakran, a resident, said he saw one explosion from the Old Market. "I saw the saw the fire in the sky," he told The Associated Press. "Right after, I saw a light in the sky and heard another explosion, coming from Naama Bay."

"The blast shook my house, I can see the fire and lots of smoke," Akram al-Sherif, a Jordanian who was staying at a summer house less than a mile away, said.

In October 2004, a series of explosions hit several hotels in the Sinai resorts of Taba and Ras Shitan, about 100 miles northwest along the Gulf of Aqaba coast, killing 34 people. Egyptian authorities said that attack was linked to Israeli-Palestinian violence and launched a large wave of arrests in Sinai.

Thousands of tourists are drawn to Sharm for its sun, clear blue water, and coral reefs. It also has been a meeting place where world leaders have tried to hammer out a Mideast peace agreement. Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas met there in February and agreed to a cease-fire.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050722/ap_on_re_mi_ea/egypt_explosion

Posts: 81 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The assholes have done it again. I am so angry right now.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, do they even *care* if they hurt native Egyptians?

?????????????????????????

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian officials say on Al-Jazeera that there have been cars involved that have foreign plate numbers.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shara
Member # 8289

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shara   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"OK, do they even *care* if they hurt native Egyptians?
?????????????????????????"

Im so tired of all this. I mean...I wish this kind of thing would just stop already. How many innocent people have to die before it ends. Im sick of it!! Im angry and Im sad.

But in answer to your question, I think its been pretty well established by past events that NO terrorist do not care who they hurt reguardless of race, relgion, age, gender or nationality....sad but true.

Anyway, I hope we will remember the victims and their families in our prayers.

[This message has been edited by Shara (edited 23 July 2005).]

Posts: 16 | From: UAE | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've been shaking since i heard the news. its like a nightmare. why do these people do this stuff? all those poor tourists coming to egypt to enjoy a vacation and going home in caskets. and i heard 17 egyptians died too. oh my god. and the fact that they hit sharm el sheikh means they wanted to hit the heart of the egyptian tourism.
i'm equally pissed at the egyptian government. we've already had two attacks this year, they should have known that sharm el sheikh would be an attractive target for those assholes. where is the security and protection??? i'm so ANGRY!

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
Egyptian officials say on Al-Jazeera that there have been cars involved that have foreign plate numbers.

I read that too, but in only one of the 15-20 different articles I read online this morning. They said one of the cars "had special plates indicating it had come over the Israeli border at Taba on the Sinai peninsula." So why are they rounding up Egyptians again?! One of the cars apparently went off round the back of one of the hotels, in the staff quarters and the other killed a group of taxi drivers and it happened on an Egyptian holiday weekend, it looks like Egyptians were the main targets.

Praying for all the victims and their families and that Penny’s husband has come home safe.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambre
Member # 686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ambre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
65 now...
Posts: 109 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hassan-Passenger22
Member # 8413

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hassan-Passenger22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
OK, do they even *care* if they hurt native Egyptians?

?????????????????????????

From the Epoch Times: Iraq Al-Qaeda Leader Defends Slaying of Muslims, saying it was legitimate under Islam for the sake of jihad (Holy War), according to an audio tape attributed to him.

"The killing of infidels by any method including martyrdom (suicide) operations has been sanctified by many scholars even if it meant killing innocent Muslims. This legality has been agreed upon ... so as not to disrupt Jihad," Abu Musab al-Zarqawi said on the tape posted on an Islamist Web site on Wednesday.
http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-5-18/28868.html

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jakdublin
Member # 8420

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jakdublin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I was wondering has anybody heard any reports of Irish caught up in the bombs? I think there is an Irish bar there. I have tried to make contact but I haven't had any luck. Can anybody help?

quote:
Originally posted by Hassan-Passenger22:

From the Epoch Times: Iraq Al-Qaeda Leader Defends Slaying of Muslims, saying it was legitimate under Islam for the sake of jihad (Holy War), according to an audio tape attributed to him.

"The killing of infidels by any method including martyrdom (suicide) operations has been sanctified by many scholars even if it meant killing innocent Muslims. This legality has been agreed upon ... so as not to disrupt Jihad," Abu Musab al-Zarqawi said on the tape posted on an Islamist Web site on Wednesday.
http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-5-18/28868.html

Posts: 2 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jakdublin:
Hi, I was wondering has anybody heard any reports of Irish caught up in the bombs? I think there is an Irish bar there. I have tried to make contact but I haven't had any luck. Can anybody help?

You know, f*ck you. I mean seriously!?!?! Leave the IRISH OUT OF THIS!

No last year in Taba, this year in Khan El-Khalil and Cairo Museum were all done by Palestinians. I mean foreign licence plates here, put one and two together.

But you know it could possibly be someone using Palestinian/Israeli plates. We don't know yet.

It really pisses me off though if it was a Palestinian. I don't know if Palestinian in occupation understand that these attacks might actually turn Arabs and Egyptians against them. It makes me so angry knowing that this will hurt their chances at statehood and sovernty.

It just hurts, pisses me off, and all the while my husband gets more paroniod. It took him well over a year to accept Mohamed Atta was part of 9/11 bombings. If he isn't denying the existance of terrorism in the hands of Muslims, he's denying that Iraqis deserve democracy and talking apostacy. I mean it takes all my will power not to kick him in the nuts and say "WAKE UP".

Mother trucker, it is so hard to watch a Muslim in America go off the deep end right now. Its so hard to watch his descent.

Oh those f*ckers, join the UN, stop the attacks. Crimedy this makes no sense.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

Praying for all the victims and their families and that Penny’s husband has come home safe.

Amen!

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Qaeda" group claims Egypt bombs - Web
Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:13 AM BST
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

Related Pictures

Related Articles
Britons among casualties in Egypt bombs, officials
Seven foreigners dead, 20 injured in Egypt blasts
CHRONOLOGY-Attacks on tourist targets in Egypt

Explosions Rock Egyptian Resort

DUBAI (Reuters) - A group claiming links to al Qaeda said on Saturday it had bombed markets and hotels in an Egyptian resort in retaliation for "crimes committed against Muslims", according to an Internet statement.

The statement, which was not carried on major al Qaeda Web sites, was signed by the Abdullah al-Azzam Brigades of the al Qaeda Organisation in the Levant and Egypt.

"Our mujahideen brothers have delivered a crushing blow to the crusaders and the Zionists and the infidel Egyptian regime in Sharm Sheikh by targeting the Ghazala Gardens hotel ... and the old market," the statement said.

"This operation came in response to the crimes committed by the evil powers against the Muslims in Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine and Chechnya. We do not fear the Egyptian tyrant."

London-based Islamic activist Yasser al-Sirry, who monitors Islamist Web sites, cast doubts about the authenticity of the claim. "I would treat this with caution, especially as it is not on mainstream Web sites," he told Reuters.

A group with a similar name -- The Martyr Abdullah Azzam Brigades -- claimed responsibility for bomb attacks in October in another Red Sea resort, Taba. It also said it had carried out attacks in April on foreign tourists.

At least 83 people were killed in the Sharm el-Sheikh car bomb attacks, the worst to strike Egypt in nearly a decade.

I AM SO ANGRYYYYYYY!!!1

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

You know, f*ck you. I mean seriously!?!?! Leave the IRISH OUT OF THIS!

Behaving thick again dear Son? He's wondering about victims..

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:

...The statement, which was not carried on major al Qaeda Web sites...

Has it been verified yet?

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:

Behaving thick again dear Son? He's wondering about victims..

Oh f*ck. So sorry. One of the first threads I posted to on ES, some Irish woman came out from no where and bashed me about this. She assumed that I was anti-Irish because of the IRA. Hell, 1/3 of the whites in our state are solid Irish, so I can't possibly not sympathize with their cause.
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum2/HTML/002981-2.html

look for kay in love post. Now I didn't say a damn thing about the IRA and they jump down my throat.

Anyhow I can't understand why an Irish pub would be in Sharm el-Sheik. But I can't understand why a british pub, called 'Brits' would be in my downtown city either. But the Brits pub is the most successful hot spot downtown.

Besides aren't hotels the bomb site most of the time?

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 23 July 2005).]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:

Sorry dude, I get so darn defensive about terrorism.

I have to explain myself alot.

jakdublin
Member # 8420

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jakdublin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

Sorry dude, I get so darn defensive about terrorism.

I have to explain myself alot.

No problem. I know you didn't mean any offence. I know that the area is popular with Irish people. Some of my friends have travelled there in the past and really enjoyed it. What's happening now is really scary. These people - whoever they are - don't care who or where they target. I was ashamed of the IRA acting in the name of Irish people and I assume Muslims must feel the same way about attacks being carried out in the name of Islam.

Posts: 2 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
No problem. I know you didn't mean any offence. I know that the area is popular with Irish people. Some of my friends have travelled there in the past and really enjoyed it. What's happening now is really scary. These people - whoever they are - don't care who or where they target. I was ashamed of the IRA acting in the name of Irish people and I assume Muslims must feel the same way about attacks being carried out in the name of Islam.

Thank you I feel much better. Oh man, the Irish are the most easy going Europeans we have here in the Twin Cities. Some of the Irish Priests who work at Catholic universities here have had an immensely positive impact on intercultural dialog between the Jewish community trust, Somali groups and Church groups. Immensely positive.

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by this.

My fiance and I were talking earlier in the day before all this happened, and he said humans still live in a jungle. We haven't evolved at all. I am beginning to think he's right.

Is there any charity or anything to contribute to that would go directly to families impacted by this? It's the only way I feel I can do anything.....I feel so helpless.

S.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hassancheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that the Italian Foreign Minister, has stopped all Italian planes from flying to Sharm until further notice, and issued an alert to it's citizens, and other Euorpean countries are expected to follow suit.

Of course they have no control over other international flights, i.e. Lufthansa, which is a German based airlines, could still get one into Sharm, or they could take a flight into Cairo and change to a domestic flight, I think it's just direct flights, I'm told the largest ethnic group in Sharm besides Egyptians, are Italians.

Please, has anyone heard from Penny? I hope all is well with your husband?

What about Welshlady? I read she was travelling to Sharm on another thread.

Posts: 358 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com