EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Want to bring car from the States

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Want to bring car from the States
farashaaf
Member # 5145

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for farashaaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I want to bring my car from the states and would like to know what are the laws and procedures to do it. How much will it cost to bring it here. I would like to know your experiences. Thank you

Posts: 13 | From: alex egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
everyday_angel
Member # 8414

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for everyday_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get in touch with agencies online that help people move overseas, they will know best. From what I understand, be prepared to pay the sum of a fairly nice used car just to ship it over. I would guesstimate about $5,000 - $8,000 depending on the size of your vehicle. Again, those places can help you much more than me, I only looked into it briefly but decided at the last minute to sell my car and keep the cash rather than spend that amount...but everyone's situation is different.
Good luck.

Posts: 275 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by farashaaf:
Hi

I want to bring my car from the states and would like to know what are the laws and procedures to do it. How much will it cost to bring it here. I would like to know your experiences. Thank you

Hello,

I don't know for sure, but there might be an age limit on a car you import from another country....6 model-years-old, I think. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that.

Also, I might move, inshallah, to Cairo in the next year. I thought about selling my car and just buying something new over in Egypt, but cars are extraordinarily expensive there!

For example, I saw a lot of Jeep *Cherokee* in Cairo. It's really a Jeep Liberty here in the US, which runs about $25,000, give or take, depending on trim line. In Cairo, I found a dealer on the internet selling them new for the equivalent of $51,000.

That might be something to take into consideration if you move.

Good luck with everything.

Snoozin

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some strange rule that is you bring a car into Egypt you can only use it for 6 months of the year, or something like that, and then you have to take it out of the country. If you do a search around this forum you will find more detailed information about it, as others have asked about this before.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

When you bring your car here you can drive it only for 6 month and later take it out of the country or you storage it at the customs for 6 month and pay like 2000 pounds and drive it again after 6 month. Some people what they do is they have 2 cars they storge one and drive the other and switch them all the time, but usually who do that are people who drive fancy cars.

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karim:

When you bring your car here you can drive it only for 6 month and later take it out of the country or you storage it at the customs for 6 month and pay like 2000 pounds and drive it again after 6 month. Some people what they do is they have 2 cars they storge one and drive the other and switch them all the time, but usually who do that are people who drive fancy cars.

Do you know the *reason* for this law? Just curious.....

Thanks!

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually now you can keep your car here for 3 years without having to store it, it used to be 6 months, but that law has changed since last September, even most custom officials don't know about the new law so don't bother asking them. Get a written copy of the law in your hands and present it to them, they honestly don't know, and once they see the law they have to honor it. And don't let them try to bribe you into any tips because what you are doing is completely legal and you can report them to the office of Foreign Affairs if they try to get bribes.

From what I know
1. You must have a foreign passport
2. You must have a staying permit in egypt stamped in your passport (not a tourist visa, but a resident permit)
3. You pay 2000 pounds to an auto club for the triptick book, and you must give them a blank check for 200,000 LE or a bank guaranty
4. Customs stamps the car in your passport, and every 6 months you pay taxes according to the value of the car, for example, if the car is valued at 120,000LE, you would pay 1000 LE for 6 months, then 2000Le the next 6 months, 3000le the next 6 months, and it will go up 1000LE until the 3 years expired.
5. If after 3 years you have not moved from the country you have to store the car out of the country for 6 month, then you start over again.

I'll be happy to help you more if you like just email me because I dont check this site daily.

lalamasrey@yahoo.com

Posts: 81 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com