EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Does anyone know?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone know?
Stacia
Member # 3188

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where the Catacombs are in Alex?
Posts: 190 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stacia:
Where the Catacombs are in Alex?

http://www.delange.org/Catacombs/EP8.htm

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Stacia, how did you find out about these ancient ruins in Alex, I never even knew about them, its looks pretty cool. Good link Ann.

Let me know when you're going, I'll probably tag along with you guys, it doesn't look like something the kids will enjoy, so they'll be left at home.

Posts: 81 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The catacombs are incredible!! It's very interesting!!

Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacia
Member # 3188

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ann, found that same website, but it didn't have an actual street addy. Didn't know if I could get there with just using the street names, but thanks. If you've been there can u give me directions?

H, maybe we can go this weekend.

Posts: 190 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Stacia and Habiba!

According to the Lonely Planet Guide, the Catacombs of Kom Ash-Shuqqafa are five minutes walk south of Pompey’s Pillar. Follow the wall around to the right after you leave the Serapeum and keep straight on. The entrance to the catacombs is on the left about 150m beyond the small midan. And in case you don’t know Pompey’s Pillar it says it is: walk west from Midan Gomhurriya (the train station square) following the tram tracks west along Sharia Sherif and turn left where they do (the area is called Carmous on the map). This brings you onto a busy market street and the entrance to the Serapeum is 300m ahead on the right. It’s a a walk of about 1.5 km.

Have a nice time!

[This message has been edited by newcomer (edited 07 September 2005).]

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacia
Member # 3188

Rate Member
Newcomer--exactly what I was looking for...thanks a bunch! We will post back and let you know how it was.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't alot of those tombs removed due to the expansion of a highway?

All I know about them is my husband used to crawl through them as a kid. He spent his first 14 years in Alex as a kid so he has known a few people who built their home above a crypt enterance to smuggle out artifacts before civil engineers and construction crews found them in the last decade.

Its strange to see how Greco-Roman burials in Alex took up so much of ancient Egyptian rituals and rites.

But too creepy for me!

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 07 September 2005).]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com