EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Road Accidents 2nd Cause Of Death In Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Road Accidents 2nd Cause Of Death In Egypt
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/middleeast/2005/November/middleeast_November116.xml§ion=middleeast&col=
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swt0rchid
Member # 9173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for swt0rchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow, I can't get to the article you posted, but it sounds sad. [Frown] I heard that traffic is crazy in Egypt from my Egyptian friends, but I don't know how crazy it is, since I've never been there...I also heard it's scary to cross the street over in Egypt, because ppl might run you over---is that true? And how is the driving over in Egypt? Are Egyptians aggressive drivers? My Egyptian guy friend came over to the US from Egypt 6 years ago, and his driving is wayy aggressive! He speeds like crazy, cuts other cars off, etc. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster everytime I get in the car with him! >_< I'm not sure if his crazy driving is influenced by American or Egyptian ways...or maybe even both? I don't know...
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sora
Member # 8159

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like USA, back from where I come from, pedestrian has also the right so I got use to the idea cars would stop or slow down. Coming to Cairo, shocked to see how crazy people drove and actually they drive faster knowing when someone wants to cross the street. Even in narrow streets, here, they don't mind if they scratch the parking cars along the side walk and really come close to pedestrian without slowing down... It is really a chaos here and I wonder why no one is doing anything about it. [Frown]
Posts: 181 | From: By the River Nile - Cairo | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swt0rchid
Member # 9173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for swt0rchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sora:
Like USA, back from where I come from, pedestrian has also the right so I got use to the idea cars would stop or slow down. Coming to Cairo, shocked to see how crazy people drove and actually they drive faster knowing when someone wants to cross the street. Even in narrow streets, here, they don't mind if they scratch the parking cars along the side walk and really come close to pedestrian without slowing down... It is really a chaos here and I wonder why no one is doing anything about it. [Frown]

Oh my! That sounds awful! [Eek!] I guess I wouldn't want to walk if I ever went to Egypt then...
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The site takes a little bit longer to load. Here is the copied article.

Road accidents second cause of death in Egypt: report
(AFP)

4 November 2005

CAIRO - Road accidents are the second leading cause of death in Egypt after heart disease and cost the economy hundreds of million of dollars annually, according to a transport ministry report released on Friday.

The report, quoted by the official Mena news agency, said some 6,000 people die each year as a result of road crashes.

The ministry estimated the resulting economic loss at three billion pounds (520 million dollars) annually, which amounts to three percent of gross domestic product.

Some 30,000 people are also injured in road accidents each year, the report said. “Currently, road accidents are the primary cause of hospitalisation for people between the ages of 15 and 40,” it added.

The report pointed out that human factors were to blame for over 70 percent of these cases. The condition of vehicles accounted for only 22 percent of all recorded accidents, it said.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
river_0f_l0ve
Member # 8638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for river_0f_l0ve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pink Lily:
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/middleeast/2005/November/middleeast_November116.xml§ion=middleeast&col=

I alread have had an accident [Frown]
Posts: 696 | From: egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the cover story of this month's issue of Egypt Today; http://www.egypttoday.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6029
Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran
Member # 9740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wednesday, 11 January 2006, 10:04 GMT

Australians killed in Egypt crash

Six Australians have been killed and 24 wounded in a bus crash near the Egyptian capital, Cairo, Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said.

The tourist bus overturned on Tuesday night in wet conditions on the main Cairo-Alexander highway, about 46km (29 miles) north of Cairo.

The injured were taken to a hospital in Cairo. None of them were in a life-threatening condition.

Egypt has one the highest traffic accident rates in the world.

Police say around 6,000 Egyptians die in road accidents each year. Many drivers ignore road safety regulations and roads are often poorly maintained. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4601286.stm

Posts: 524 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote (from link below):

"For every 100 million km driven, 43.2 people die in Egypt -- compared with 0.9 in Australia." [Frown]

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17796662%5e2862,00.html

Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you wear seat belts as a part of law in Egypt? In australia its law-you would lose your license/get fined etc if not.
It sounds like egypt is similar to indonesia.The only thing is in Jakarta, if you would hit someone with your car you would be dragged out and bashed up up by the people(unless yo got military sticker on your car-then you can kill who you want LOL).Also if you will park your car you will have to leave the handbrake off so the parkir guys can roll it to give parking space to others entering or leaving.I think Indonesians are really good drivers-they have so much pressures.In australia everyone is road rage and careless, even though we have so much laws.
The bus crash on the desert road has been in the news non stop.Very sad.

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you wear seat belts as a part of law in Egypt? In australia its law-you would lose your license/get fined etc if not.
It sounds like egypt is similar to indonesia.The only thing is in Jakarta, if you would hit someone with your car you would be dragged out and bashed up up by the people(unless yo got military sticker on your car-then you can kill who you want LOL).Also if you will park your car you will have to leave the handbrake off so the parkir guys can roll it to give parking space to others entering or leaving.I think Indonesians are really good drivers-they have so much pressures.In australia everyone is road rage and careless, even though we have so much laws.
The bus crash on the desert road has been in the news non stop.Very sad.

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com