EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Car lights at night!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Car lights at night!!
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Farstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why most of people drive, even in the darkest places, with no lights at night?? Are they worried to get a high electricity bill??

It is so dangerous and I personally believe something should be done about it..

What do you think??

Posts: 275 | From: the Globe | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are you driving that people don't use their headlights at night!!!!??? [Eek!]
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Sorry, I forgot to type EGYPT, but anyhow it is obvious that everyone talks about EGYPT here..

Soory for the TYPING MISTAKE

Posts: 275 | From: the Globe | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never understood why people in Egypt drove without their headlights, I was kind of upset that I couldn't find a taxi with a seatbelt, given the way they drive there, but I learned to live by the saying "insha allah"
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No seatbelts and no headlights at night and no using traffic lights?

oh me oh my!!!
Maybe I should invest in some valium before my trip.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when do u plan to go? you need some sleeping pills, everytime u take a taxi, you take a dozen of them [Smile]

good luck

Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Farstar:
Oh Sorry, I forgot to type EGYPT, but anyhow it is obvious that everyone talks about EGYPT here..

Soory for the TYPING MISTAKE

2zay y3ney? when i have problem with my lights I NEVER DRIVE!!!!!
Where Exactly in Egypt!!

Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Asooma, look around you!! do not you drive in Cairo at night? do not you drive on desert roads or any roads out of cairo at night??
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FairyDust:
I was kind of upset that I couldn't find a taxi with a seatbelt, given the way they drive there, but I learned to live by the saying "insha allah"

This is very true! no seatbelts
Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
and no headlights ASOOMA
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Well, since I don't take any kind of pills I guess I will have to keep my eyes closed and hope for the best!!
[Big Grin]
I'm sure everything will be fine. And there's always walking right? Though I was told last night that I'd be taking my life in my hands whenever I would try to walk across a street. hehe

Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
You will manage lovedOne. It is not that bad there, but the happit of no headlights drives me crazy sometimes..

Have a good trip to Egypt

Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
You will manage lovedOne. It is not that bad there, but the habit of no headlights drives me crazy sometimes..

Have a good trip to Egypt

Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
Asooma, look around you!! do not you drive in Cairo at night? do not you drive on desert roads or any roads out of cairo at night??

really where?
tell me? I drive in these areas ONLY, Heliopolis, Nasrcity, Mohndasen, Isamalia desert road and sometimes Maddi...
Let me ask our drivers!
we have them for more than 20 years!

FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and no headlights ASOOMA

I was scared about crossing the street too, but I actually became quite good at it during my trip to Egypt. You will be fine, just follow the locals across or find a nice person to help you.
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is a bad habit ... but the least of egypt's traffic problems
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told headllights are only for "fog".
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well ive been driving for about three years approx, and have never had a problem with no lights. everything else yes, but never encountered a car with no lights at night. its possible, but probably very rare
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
it is a bad habit ... but the least of egypt's traffic problems

Where the hell is that?
My university road was Misr-Ismaila, desert road, I never see cars without lights
Da habllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on any side street in Cairo ... when one sees a car coming in the opposite direction, it is considered customary to turn off your headlights.

i tried making a point when i first moved to egypt .. but then gave up on educating the over 1 million Cairo drivers.

the "when in rome" rule applies here ...

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, in Cairo there doesn't seem to be too many dark roads. You know how large cities "glow". The illumination might strike the need for headlights.

But in the country......

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

not true sonomod ...
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
not true sonomod ...

I was in Cairo several times. Only once did we manage to get there before noon. My SIL has a habit of not wanting to go anywhere before 4pm, so we leave Cairo after 2am usually.

I didn't see alot of darkness. Everything seem to be lit like an article day.

Heliopolis seemed to use headlights. LOads of sports cars with halogen lights, shiny ghetto rims, fans, low-rider conversions.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
quote:
not true sonomod ...

I was in Cairo several times. Only once did we manage to get there before noon. My SIL has a habit of not wanting to go anywhere before 4pm, so we leave Cairo after 2am usually.

Heliopolis seemed to use headlights. LOads of sports cars with halogen lights, shiny ghetto rims, fans, low-rider conversions.

yes, and?
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
not true sonomod ...

yes, and?
not true sonomod.......

Possible balady quarters like Shubra, Bulaq are darker at night?

I am sorry when I am in Cairo at night I can't look at an oncoming car without being fricking blinded. What powers those fricking headlights anyhow?

And the road from Heliopolis to Shebin is the Cairo to Alex road. The glare from the city takes at least 15 miles to wear off.

Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BEEB BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEB !!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:

not true sonomod.......

Possible balady quarters like Shubra, Bulaq are darker at night?

I am sorry when I am in Cairo at night I can't look at an oncoming car without being fricking blinded. What powers those fricking headlights anyhow?

And the road from Heliopolis to Shebin is the Cairo to Alex road. The glare from the city takes at least 15 miles to wear off.

The light beams blind u because of the intensity of the light against the dark backdrop. And naturally we were talking about the side streets and not the highways.

And even on lit streets like abbas elakkad street, a lot of cars keep their lights off.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
The light beams blind u because of the intensity of the light against the dark backdrop. And naturally we were talking about the side streets and not the highways.

I am talking about right in front of Merryland.

I am sorry when there is 40 hotrods on the block there is no dark backdrop.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

take any right or left turn off that street and u'll see the dark backdrop.
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

i lived right next to maryland, the back streets are very dark
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
on any side street in Cairo ... when one sees a car coming in the opposite direction, it is considered customary to turn off your headlights.

Actually the lights was on! I know this stupid sign, when the get their arms out of the window, to make me turn the high head light off! [Big Grin]
Do you know, what is the meaning of driving on deserts roads at night without lights>?
It’s a crisis ! Come on
This mean the ppl are committing suicide.

Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Asooma, if you drive on the Corniche at night, then you should have seen people driving without using car lights. Using the strong (headlights) inside the city is internationally forbbiden though. I have argued millions of times with taxi drivers because of driving at night without lights and their argument is that they worry about the battery. Not knowing that whether the lights are on or off do not affect the battery at all.

I even asked a Taxi driver once: what is more important, a battery? or threatening people's lives? I said, you could kill someone.. and his comment was... Well, El Mar7um kann Ragel Tayeb.. The battery is more important...

Asooma, when you drive at night next time, please count how many people are driving with their lights off, or only with the minimum lights on, which does not help in most of the cases..

Have a good day all and have a good drive

Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
quote:
Asooma, if you drive on the Corniche at night, then you should have seen people driving without using car lights. Using the strong (headlights) inside the city is internationally forbbiden though. I have argued millions of times with taxi drivers because of driving at night without lights and their argument is that they worry about the battery. Not knowing that whether the lights are on or off do not affect the battery at all.

I even asked a Taxi driver once: what is more important, a battery? or threatening people's lives? I said, you could kill someone.. and his comment was... Well, El Mar7um kann Ragel Tayeb.. The battery is more important...

Asooma, when you drive at night next time, please count how many people are driving with their lights off, or only with the minimum lights on, which does not help in most of the cases..

Have a good day all and have a good drive

Promise i will count!
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant speak for Cairo, but in Luxor and the surrounding areas cars NEVER drive with lights on. The rural roads are very very dark, and the cars hurtle along without headlights. Except when a car is coming in the opposite direction when they both flash their lights at each other.
Now that can be blinding!
Even in the city itself, cars do not use their headlights at night. They are only used to flash at each other when they pass.
Lol, do you think they just use them to say hello?

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amrsangel
Member # 10344

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amrsangel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just in Cairo 3 weeks ago. My taxi driver never used his headlights except to signal others with. Some did use them. Some did not. The headlights are used at night just as the horn is by day. A series of signals alerts other drivers to their intentions. I guess it all depends on the driver. Also, I found seatbelts in the front passenger seat but not in the back. Ride in the front if you dare. Crossing the street is a nightmare until you master it. Vehicles have the right of way. It's dangerous if you are not used to that and come from a place where the pedestrian has the right of way.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
river_0f_l0ve
Member # 8638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for river_0f_l0ve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Car with no light at nigh, wow, Big Question Mark, is the driver alone [Big Grin]

--------------------
River Of Love

Posts: 696 | From: egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
river_0f_l0ve
Member # 8638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for river_0f_l0ve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amrsangel:
I was just in Cairo 3 weeks ago. My taxi driver never used his headlights except to signal others with. Some did use them. Some did not. The headlights are used at night just as the horn is by day. A series of signals alerts other drivers to their intentions. I guess it all depends on the driver. Also, I found seatbelts in the front passenger seat but not in the back. Ride in the front if you dare. Crossing the street is a nightmare until you master it. Vehicles have the right of way. It's dangerous if you are not used to that and come from a place where the pedestrian has the right of way.

pedestrians, oooh, they should not ever pass the other side [Big Grin] , how bad luck they are [Smile]
Posts: 696 | From: egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com