EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » looking for cheap flights

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: looking for cheap flights
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm planning to visit a friend in chicago in a couple of months and i'm just wondering if anyone's got an idea how can i get the cheapest flight there is on any airline. Also need to know about getting discounts with my youth travelling card.
I've just started my new life as an employee a few months ago after i graduated so you can see money is a bit of an issue.
Anyway, appreciate any help i get get

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Olympic is the cheapest, then Alitalia, you could try Egypt Air to NY and then to Chicago using AA or NW or United or you could try KLM, LH, BA....

go for a walk on Kasr El Nil st and compare prices....

$4000 LE for Olympic thats for sure...but there is no seats available until November!!!! and KLM is $7000 LE and there is space on the plane. I dont know about the other airlines.

If you will decide to fly on Alitalia...remember that the service on the plane is extremely bad, the FA are extremely rude!

Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
focus....give me the exact time you would want to leave and I will call some ppl i know in the airline biz! I can get good deals on BA and LH...

but the prices i gave in the previous post is what you should be looking at paying. Nothing is cheaper...the 4000LE Olympic is a special price, i dont know if they still had it or not...due to the availability only in november!

Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aspirations (aka PC)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check for me tooooo Im going frok cairo to halifax! God, if only I was a ontarian or a montrealer I could get all the good deals...its that stupid connecting flight nobody is making.
oh yes alitalia was horrible and I have only flown 10 times in my life, My rating so far is:
lufthansa absolutely hands down - the best!
olympic was really nice even for being a cheapy airline, i loved it, alitalia was sooooooo horrid of a flight with rude and bossy flight attendants and dingy planes.
Air canada is not bad for domestic ... however I loved jetsgo [Frown] the staff were singing and entertaining us on christmas morning was cute.
and westjet is also cool. What kills me is walking past those "remote control fancy shmancy beds on lufthansa" as I go to economy class, especially on a 12 hour transatlantic flight.
I am dreading the flight with my baby on my lap while pregnant....should really be a "trip"
but alhamdullah that i can travel even if in the cargo hold.

--------------------
cracked

Posts: 209 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
preg, i will see if i can get BA to Heathrow and then probably Air Canada or something to Halifax...
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i was planning to go from august 5th to 15th. there is a possibility that would change though so i don't know if it'll make any difference.

I was cruising once downtown which is full of travel agencies and one of them was hanging flyers with prices to several destinations. one of them read new york for 2499 on spanish airlines, but that was excluding taxes. you have any idea how much the taxes would be?

thank you mafia for your help i really appreciate it

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
it would be around $3500 max! but the thing is...you will need to go to AA and then ask them for NY to Chicago or see if Iberia has CAI to spain and then spain to chicago....either than just connecting to chicago...

also try KLM...I came with KLM from Toronto and a lot of the ppl on board were from chicago...they went from chicago to amesterdam and then to cairo...flying out of chicago you stay in amesterdam going to cairo around 6 hours transit in the airport...you cant leave without a visa or if you have Canadian, British, American passport...and when you fly out of egypt you stay in Amesterdam 3-4 hour transite
---------------------

you could also try

czech airlines,
aeroflot,
air france,
austrian,
Swiss...

I put those airlines in a list from cheapest to most expensive....

---------

are you going to stay there for only 10 days???!!! if that is so....it would be a waste of time man....you will pay a lot of money for 10 days....but anyways whenu go there....tell ur friend to take you to six flags! The best amusment park in chicago!

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or get a courier flight..
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.courier.org/

(there are other companies)

or ask directly with companies in egypt...

or place an add on sites such as ebay saying you will carry something from egypt to the states for half the airfare.

ask at the museum of egypt.... places like that are always shipping stuff that requires a courier.

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
fine i'll make it 2 weeks then

what about discounts if i have a youth travelling card?

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
isic?

try their branch in egypt...you wont get that HUGE discount if that is what you are dreaming off...probably 100-200 max off!

focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
courier flying sounds like a very good idea, i just can't seem to find much info on it.

can anyone suggest where can i sign up as a courier here in egypt?

nocluecairo
Member # 10718

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nocluecairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, any info on this courier thing would be great. Have always heard about it but unable to find any bonafide information. Or is it the usual thing of having to register and pay a HUGE fee to join a list ?

The Egyptian Museum needing couriers ? Charm, you know anybody who has done this ?

Posts: 20 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am flying from Cairo to Chicago on Iberia. I paid LE 3300.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Guys...the prices I gave you and what Sohyla said are the prices right now....I have checked it out with my contacts and thats the right prices!

they said, if u want seats...u must act quickly....they said that a lot of the planes are full until mid august or worth, mid spetember!

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aspirations (aka PC)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
crying....about booked flights...waaahhh cairo to frankfurt booked solid. not to mention it will cost a minimum of 7000 l.e. to travel ONE WAYYYY!
its all because of going to halifax. The ticket will actually be around 6600 (for me and an infant on my lap) but then there are those little things like a can of pop or chips on the plane. Then I need bulkhead seats with a bassinet Ya Rab...make a space for me tomorrow.

--------------------
cracked

Posts: 209 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
voice for us plz PM me...

--------------------
cracked

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
egyptian air is the cheapest i have found to new york the chicago
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully you will find something cheaper than we here in the states are finding to come there. I checked 2 travel agents and checked everything online... it was going to cost me 3000 us dollars to come there to cairo if i used any airline that was operated in the states. So i am driving to chicago then flying lufthansa to frankfurt then to cairo. cheaper by half. If your flights include any airline that is operated by usa.. such as american, united, delta,, any of those your price will be horendous. Lufthansa was the cheapest out of all the foreign airlines unless you want a huge lay over by using klm

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
That Iberia price is marvellous.
You're scaring me though, I still got my interview this thursday and the visa comes a few days later. I can't start looking for a ticket till after that. How late do you think these prices will stay?

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
see if you can book the ticket by phone...tell them you are waiting for the VISA...because this week it might be 1000 and the week after it is 2000....prices can change without notice...so just see if you can book the ticket on the phone or in person for a week or so.....
Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
great news..no not great excellent!
after annoying the heck out of my travel agent for two full days sitting in thier office insisting that there is a seat "somewhere" finally after a tonne of prices to get only to toronto or montreal (not even all the way home) that were ranging from 10,000 l.e. and up on already booked flights where i was on a waiting list for one leg of the trip..Allah sent to me anther miracle in this stream of recent miracles...a trip on Olympic Air BUSINESS CLASS for 6600 total L.E. ( including me, the baby and all taxes!) thats about 1300 canadian...in high season...and for me a huge blessing since I will be travelling pregnant with a baby on my lap.
which is cheaper than all the economy tickets because my poor travel agent who was probably so sick of my face by now said hey let me see if I can get you a discount with my travel agent status ??? I was like hey why the heck not okaaayyy! I mean there was nothing available whatsoever on any flight in july and the beginning of august! and we found this little golden nugget hiding in the shadows...I was like stop everything I'll take it!
Thank God!
Now I wish I could find the official website for olympic air???

--------------------
cracked

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
www.olympicair.com

or

olympicairlines.com

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
yeah that link doesnt actually bring u to olympic I have tried tonnes of variations and once in a while I find the true site...but today no luck

--------------------
cracked

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try google or yahoo.

http://www.olympic-airways.com/

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
www.olympicairlines.com worked for me!!!!

BTW, my mom and my older sister are flying Olympic! and I will be flying KLM on the 27th!

my mom said the food is alright! not the greatest...but KLM has the best food! and FREE!!!! BEER!!!!!!

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
hey this link did work this time...but it didnt work at the net cafe today???
http://www.olympicairlines.com/
well i will go check it out!
thx

--------------------
cracked

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
yeah well i read in the reviews that they give u a tonne of free wine and booze in business class so if u ended up on my flight i would have given it all to you...for me its disgusting..i used to bea big drinker b4 I became muslim, but now when i think about alcohol i feel sick to my stomache...I guess that is a good thing overall. I have a lot of bad memories associated with my drinking days.
I did fly on Olympic economy class before and I loved it, the food was great and everything went fine...I found the aircraft clean and the staff nice..they even gave me a free hotel in athens on a 12 hour stopover!

--------------------
cracked

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
it is not a super site...it is just plain! it wont show u how the business class will look like....

here is a good site for u to read...

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/OA.htm

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
The plane is Airbus A340 from Greece to Toronto....

the seat plan as follow....
2 to the left...4 in the middle...and 2 in the right

from Cairo to Athens it is 737...which is a small plane!

for me...KLM flies MD-11 from Cairo to Amesterdam...nice plane...

and from amesterdam to Toronto I will be in a 747!!!! Jumbo baby!

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
that is too funny....you go to all the same sites that i have gone to!
i was there earlier today looking for pics hahaha and just now i had olympic site open looking for pics and i said to myself ah this sucks no pics...just movie schedules etc.
so i came back to this page to see if u looked for something ... okay can u find some good links to business on olympic photos?

--------------------
cracked

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
how much was ur to toronto on klm? because mine is only going to toronto then i have to find my way to halifax on my own...catch a westjet or an air canada domestic at the airport

--------------------
cracked

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
i asked for an amsterdam or london route but they said nothing...mafeesh haga

--------------------
cracked

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
im so dumb..I am going to montreal not toronto...my bad

--------------------
cracked

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
LOL... pregnancy does things like that to you!
Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
yeah...million things on my mind eh? mafia look up airliners.net...you will love it i think

--------------------
cracked

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
i looked up the price of my ticket ont the olympic website and it says 10, 600 plus that doesnt include the baby so originally it was over 12,000 l.e. not a bad deal sah?

--------------------
cracked

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
The thing is...Olympic will stop first in Montreal and then continue to Toronto...call Air Canada... 578-4634 and see if there is space or not..

for KLM...its a 6 month ticket...and I get a free hotel room because you stay in Amesterdam for like 10hrs..you arrive ~7AM Amesterdam time and you leave to Cairo ~9PM...and it was $1320 with taxes!!!!!! nice eh! big time...Lufthansa was $1400! but I was like nah!!!! I want a free room...

I went to the same places where Hamam (the movie) was shot...and I went and saw the red distirict in the morning lol...and thats it and took a shower...ate...slept a bit and thats it...it was really cool...I went and played at the casino and checked out the duty free shops...

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
no need to continue on to toronto because montreal is closer to halifax meaning shorter cheaper flight...so i sent the service guy of my husbands lab to go get my tickets ... he is so kind...and when i got them just now..they spelled my middle name wrong! grrrrrrrr as if i need any reason to get held up at security points....but whats worse? i told her to please not use middle names on the tickets...for this reason exactly...less letters to get screwed up by the non english speaking travel agent.
how many days till the 13th? hey is that a friday too?

--------------------
cracked

Enigma
Member # 9314

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enigma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pregnantcravings:
how many days till the 13th? hey is that a friday too?

24 days to the 13th (25 if you include it), and it's a Thursday [Wink]
Posts: 127 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
oh for God's sake..they spelled my sons name wrong too...u gotta be kiddin me

--------------------
cracked

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
lol....

dont worry...name spellings is not a big issue....as long as the spelling of ur name is 99% close to the passport name and stuff like that u will fly....

dont worry....unless your name is Mohammed and they spelled it Mahmoud! lol...

relax.....enjoy the last 24days in Egypt!...I am enjoying my last week or so left in Egypt!...

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
no they spelled noah's name noha and my middle name margaret they spelles it mrharet! wth
i even wrote it down in big block letters and emphasized that its noooaaaaahhhh not nooh. and oh i expect this stuff now but it still makes me insane i wanted to explode

--------------------
cracked

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
dont worry...as long his last name is ok...they wont be effy...and its only the check-in desk that looks at that name....

When I booked my flight in Canada...you must spell your name out...each letter is put in a word....

like my name is Basem

I would be like...

Bob, Alpha, Sam, England, Miami.

Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
yeah heres the funny part ...WE DID THAT! Nancy Oscar Alpha Honey....and so on....you see why I am mental from this place...I swear it sooo different in Ismailia from Cairo...where I THINK PEOPLE HAVE A BRAIN INSIDE THE SKULL.
And you should see the people here..poor as dirt and wearing the latest and greatest, walking around with 4000 l.e. cell phones, and cant afford to go to eat ... and i have never seen such a community of oglers...cant walk down the street without a gaggle of school boys gawking at your every move...tongues on the ground...they look at anything...it gives me the heebie geebies.
anywho...23 days 23 days keep telling myself

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com