EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Dirty Teeth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dirty Teeth
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please tell me why Egyptians have very dirty , brown, smelly teeth,
Some people have really beautiful ones, but most i saw were really bad and rotten

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoking......
Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, Val thanks, im also a smoker, but im proud to say my teeth are looking good
The reason why i ask was that my friend , sent me a few pics, and there was a lovely looking boy on the pic, but his teeth were yuk, Oh i felt sorry for him

Does any off you girls out there have a partner with bad teeth?

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panman
Member # 12506

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smoking is no exuse for dirty teeth though . [Frown]
Posts: 57 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the dentist was attempting to pull my wisdom teeth last summer he made a few comparisons between "American" and "Egyptian" teeth.

First off American teeth are extremely hard and strong, next they are really pushed together, small jaws, virtually no plaque, and it takes almost 4 hours to give up pulling on a wisdom tooth.

Egyptian teeth, large mouth, nicely spaced, plaque galore like a shag rug, soft enamel, absolutely no flossing, rather have teeth extracted than have a filling, and immensely easy to pull wisdome teeth.

I spent the next 6 days concentrating on Egyptian women's mouths absolutely full of envy that their jaws are large and teeth well spaced, certainly never a crooked jaw. Somehow it helped me from looking down at all the garbage on the ground, worrying constantly about germs and I focused on women's faces that I barely noticed how ugly and gross Egyptian guys are.

My daughter couldn't figure out why I wanted a good look into her mouth and why I was inspecting her bite alignment. only to cry out "Allu Akbar", she thought I had found something in her mouth.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possibly discolouration & not dirt....... too much somking, coffee drininkng (without regular cleaning) & mal-nutrition can affect your teeth

--------------------
Femme Fatale

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoking, too much tea and/or coffee, poor dental hygiene.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smoking, tons of tea and not only that but my husband only used that biswak thingie to brush his teeth with until he started talking to me. I convinced him to buy a toothbrush and toothpaste and his teeth have definitely improved. My father is a dentist so he has incentive to have his teeth looking good when he finally meets him!
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a generalisations! The dirty teeth have to do with social backgrounds. Dental hygiene is not a very important subject for people whoms first concern is how to survive anyway. A dentist is not somebody they see regulary, it is simply to expensive for them.
So, they only will visite a dentist when there is no other solution left, and only to remove what`s hurting them.
As always, Western civilisation has had this periods too! Look at the paintings from old masters, look at the faces from the people.
Poverty is visable on a face or a body.
Look at the marks, the scarfs, the bolts, the badly healed wounds.Hands,feet and teeth give an indication from the social status of people...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By dental hygiene I mean a toothbrush, toothpaste and some floss. Nothing expensive even for Egyptians.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's a matter of not being able to afford things ?????. I mean my husband definitely does not have a lot of $$ but he and his whole family care about their appearance very much. The only reason they use the biswack thing is because it's sunnah I guess.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Lets explain it in another way. Dental hygiëne has to be teached by somebody! The parents are not raised by this, they don`t know the value of it, and sure dental floss, toothbrushes and toothpaste are to expensive! They see it in another way. For the money of brush,toothpaste and certainly dentall floss, you can buy food!
Have you ever been by family`s who live that way? Who can`t buy meat daily? I think you can`t imagine what`s in their minds. They have a little money, and for that money they buy the food what has the most nutritious substances.(As far as they know)That`s priority number one!
And because nobody`s telling them about it, they don`t know.
There are information campaigns in some area`s...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Yes...I understand your points and they are good points. I was simply stating the reasons why many Egyptians have discolored teeth. Poor dental hygiene being one of the reasons. I wasn't criticizing them for having bad teeth.
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not so much the tea as the 28 teaspoons of sugar egyptians add to it.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ????? said is exactly right. Remember that half of the people in Egypt are illiterate. They have no jobs, or ones that pay extremely little. These people go grocery shopping by how far their piastres go. Not pounds, piastres. You can see the difference exactly along class lines, like ????? has said. If one was to only associate with the privileged in Egypt, one would think that all Egyptians have the whitest, nicest teeth possible. When one only runs into those with dirty and smelly teeth, it is an extremely safe bet to guess which background that person is associating with.
Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Yeah that too.

quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
It's not so much the tea as the 28 teaspoons of sugar egyptians add to it.

Bonzo
Member # 12594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this can apply to any country. If you go to the poor areas of the US, you will also find people who have decayed teeth. It all goes back to the education level and class that people are raised in. In a rural area of the US where people struggle the last thing on their mind is finding a dentist to have their teeth cleaned twice a year. Heck, I make decent money and the dentist is the last place I want to go! [Big Grin] I try to do what I'm supposed to with the brushing and everything but I have a real phobia with going to the dentist. I can just imagine what it's like for people who struggle financially on top of having a fear of dentists.
Posts: 370 | From: Other side of reality | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be lucky, my hubby has beautiful white teeth [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
middle eastern should have whiter teeth and stronger as of diet as to us western people as of the food crap we eat ,
but i guess its all down to the person and how they feel about thier teeth and thier appearance.

Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graf_Genn:
What ????? said is exactly right. Remember that half of the people in Egypt are illiterate. They have no jobs, or ones that pay extremely little. These people go grocery shopping by how far their piastres go. Not pounds, piastres. You can see the difference exactly along class lines, like ????? has said. If one was to only associate with the privileged in Egypt, one would think that all Egyptians have the whitest, nicest teeth possible. When one only runs into those with dirty and smelly teeth, it is an extremely safe bet to guess which background that person is associating with.

The problem with this line of thinking is that Egyptian guys still buy cigarrettes before they pay rent, buy food or anything of substance.

Cripes a family of 5 will eat cabbage and rice for a week just so dad can have the money needed to sit down at the coffee house to smoke and drink tea.

Major catch is the coffee house is exactly where most low-income men pick up work. You can't loiter at the coffee house, you must either smoke cigarettes and/or drink tea. But you must be there because this is where employers with day labor pick up employees.

Its a bad cycle, and a traditional one. Yet is the only way for most Egyptians.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, my ex had white healthy teeth (although the dentist told him once not to consume to much chocolates), he brushed and flossed them after every meal, but then again he wasn't the typical Egyptian.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janey
Member # 5882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for janey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you only get one toothbrush in your life, it's enough! Maybe Mubarak should give every one a freebie
Posts: 18 | From: Hurghada Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your teeth are usually a product of genetics, and of course, if a family is mostly illiterate and the parents do not have good dental hygeine (flossing, brushing at least three times a day, seeing a dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups) then that doesn't add well to things.

A while after I arrived in Egypt I ran out of dental floss, my husband and I spent about 5 minutes describing to the pharmacist what it was I needed until it dawned on him what I meant...he had to find it WAY in the back [Roll Eyes] . It made me wonder 'like do these people not floss'? I introduced the idea to my husband (who was gifted with very nice teeth by the way) and he tried flossing and liked it, doesn't do it as much as I would like him to, and I have to remind him 'ahem, time to floss'.
The way I get him to floss is the same way the dentist got me to do it as a child. She told me, 'Not flossing regularly is like taking a piece of meat and throwing it in your kitchen sink, leaving it there for a week or two, and then coming back to see what has developed'. That is the same thing happening between your teeth. You can eliminate SO MUCH bad breath simply by flossing regularly and I don't see how that's an economic issue or culural issue, it's more of an information issue. We should form an organization and go around Egypt teaching people who haven't had the chance to see dentists the importance of keeping up with it. [Big Grin] (see my teeth?)

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
It made me wonder 'like do these people not floss'?

Umm, just for the record, there are Egyptians who have been using floss just as long as you superior Americans have been.

quote:
You can eliminate SO MUCH bad breath simply by flossing regularly
For even better results, you guys should try tongue cleaners.

You don't necessarily need one like that, you can also use a teaspoon's edge to scrape your tongue.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BM ® Bazoka machine
Member # 12757

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BM ® Bazoka machine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milk n shrimp
Posts: 126 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
It made me wonder 'like do these people not floss'?

Umm, just for the record, there are Egyptians who have been using floss just as long as you superior Americans have been.

quote:
You can eliminate SO MUCH bad breath simply by flossing regularly
For even better results, you guys should try tongue cleaners.

You don't necessarily need one like that, you can also use a teaspoon's edge to scrape your tongue.

No need to get defensive I didn't mean to imply we were superior by nationality, I was speaking about the people in the pharmacy.
But the topic was about the bad dental hygeine of egyptians - which I don't blame the ones for who have bad hygeine, it isn't their fault. However, brushing regularly and flossing is a GREAT way to get rid of the bacteria that causes bad breath, no matter what your nationality. [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Flossing isn`t always needed. If there is enough space between the teeth, a brush, eventually added with a toothpick will remove all plaque.

--------------------

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Flossing isn`t always needed. If there is enough space between the teeth, a brush, eventually added with a toothpick will remove all plaque.

This varies per person. Some people need toothpicks, some floss, and some inter-dental brushes. Some use them all at once to reach all areas.
It's important to know that 2 out of 3 people have trouble with their gums (gingivitis) rather than their teeth (you would notice that if your gums bleed while brushing). And cleaning the gums is the key to prevent tooth loss.

Also, the toothbrush and the mechanism of brushing makes so much difference. I kept hearing different versions of how to brush until my sister told me that massaging the gums with an angle is the best way. I tried it and I'm happy I did.

I also never liked electric brushes until I tried this Trisa Toothbrush. It's so good. And above all, it's unbelievably cheap (costs about 18 Euros!!!!), and so light and small to travel with. You can take off the lower edge so it won't go off while in your travel bag. Also its charger is smaller than a mobile phone charger.

Last but not least, I love how I can just shove it up my mouth and keep on typing. It helps my ES addiction a great deal. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
hehehehehe
cool Mk
I think i got to try one of these

Oh i dont know how anyone can have a smeely mouth, I think id die of embarrasment if i smell, oh i love a clean gob

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com