EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » NonEgyptian and byung cars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NonEgyptian and byung cars
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys I know it is silly question
But what should I do if I want to buy a car, but I don’t want to pay the customs, on it

I know xpats and foreigners living in Egypt can bring cars, or buy new ones and they wouldn’t pay those ridicules customs on them, that the government extort from Egyptians

Did anyone buy a car in Egypt as a non Egyptian, Can you tell me what is the procedure, and what are the costs beside the original price of the vehicle?
And after I buy the new car, what would be the legal status of this car, and what plates would be put on it

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homing pigeon
Member # 8039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for homing pigeon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isnt a silly question. THAT is one really useful piece of info. I'd like to know, too [Smile]

--------------------
Noha

Posts: 670 | From: alex living in leeds, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
waleed, it's really expensive to bring a car from abroad...... I looked into it when I first came to live in Egypt!!!
But.... to buy a car is also ridiculous money too!! I knew people that were driving 30 year os Fiats that they bought for 2,000 Euros!!!
Doesn't seem to be an easy way round!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a foreigner you can bring a tax free car but you can use it only for 6 month and later you have storage it for 6 month and I think pay like 2500 every 3 month. Usually what people do is that they buy really 2 fancy cars and drive one while the other is in the storage and vice versa. Other way is if you are student then you can keep your car a whole year and as long as you study but max you can bring is 1.6L and I think the fees is cheap.
Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luxorian
Member # 13061

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luxorian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no problem whatsoever for a foreigner to buy a car in Egypt - there is only one price for both Egyptians and foreigners! I bought a brand new Hyundai from a dealer in Luxor, for a cost of about 70,000LE - it's dropped to about 65000 now due to duty reductions. If there is one problem, it is the bureaucracy one has to go through in order to get it licenced - took me 3 days!

As there is no real second hand car market here, the prices of old cars do seem highly inflated though!

Posts: 18 | From: Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats good news about prices that put's it at about the same price as the UK. I just wish it was possible to import from abroad as my 9 year old car in the UK would be perfect for Egypt as like you say the second hand car prices are way overinflated. Some people even expect you to take over their lease repayments as well as buy the car!
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luxorian
Member # 13061

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luxorian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two major problems besides the duty come to mind when thinking of importing a car - firstly, there's the cost of shipping it - that could be prohibitive, and secondly it will be right-hand drive, which will make driving here even more hazardous than it is with a left hand drive!
Posts: 18 | From: Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeexen
Member # 13305

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeexen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys.

I would like to do the same.
only with a couple of changes: My car is a left-hand drive and second, shipping will be cheaper since i will cross the med sea (ferry) from Italy.
But any idea what kind of problems (and costs) I can expect?

Posts: 4 | From: Diegem, Belgium | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well having recently bought a car (used) our procedure went like this: Contract between Seller and Us stating how much we paid for the car. Get that paper notarised. Go to licence office with copy of passport, about 6 photographs. Stand in queue for about 2 hours. Then stand in other queue. Back to first queue. After about a week we got our car registered in our names. We seemed to be shunted from pillar to post and there is absolutely no point in losing your patience.
By the way, if buying a used car, try and get the seller to put down a lower figure than you are actually paying. You pay 2% on the cost of the car!

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Âutomatic For The People
Member # 12634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Âutomatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Semsema:

By the way, if buying a used car, try and get the seller to put down a lower figure than you are actually paying. You pay 2% on the cost of the car!

And again that would be dishonest and it would also amount to fraud. You would be ripping off the same people who welcomed you as guests in their own country.

You see, you keep calling yourselves civilised and advanced and all that crap but you're just as corrupt as those you look down on.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well having recently bought a car (used) our procedure went like this: Contract between Seller and Us stating how much we paid for the car. Get that paper notarised. Go to licence office with copy of passport, about 6 photographs. Stand in queue for about 2 hours. Then stand in other queue. Back to first queue. After about a week we got our car registered in our names. We seemed to be shunted from pillar to post and there is absolutely no point in losing your patience.

what is that ? like importing a car, as a non egyptian , or what exactly
Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wooooooooh there Automatic - who the billy blue blazes do you think gave me that tip in the first place? At least I HAVE a licence, at least I HAVE insurance!
Go smoke a peace pipe in a quiet corner for a few years.

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an expat in Cairo you would be stupid to import a car.

You can purchase a new one from many companies duty free easily and therefore so much cheaper than your own country.

The second hand market is also booming,especially round this time.

Most hire car companies can help you out too.

Just be careful that you drive it,or if you have a driver you must also be in the car. Police have been checking recently,they must be low on baksheesh!

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Âutomatic For The People
Member # 12634

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Âutomatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wooooooooh there Automatic - who the billy blue blazes do you think gave me that tip in the first place? At least I HAVE a licence, at least I HAVE insurance!

Are you under the impression I expected a different reply? I knew that was going to be your "reasoning" for giving people advice to commit fraud. Everyone else thought the same as you do. "Everyone else does it" is all you crooks can come up with. [Mad]
Posts: 465 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeexen
Member # 13305

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeexen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I want to know is if I can bring my 15year old car (BMW320,still in a very good condition) to Egypt.
I don't need to buy a new car.
If it is impossible to bring such an old car or if it's too expensivethen I will not do it.

Posts: 4 | From: Diegem, Belgium | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
It is good to know you are so educated Automatic and also a mind reader. Well read this now...............................................

--------------------
Whitelily

welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Âutomatic For The People:
quote:

Are you under the impression I expected a different reply? I knew that was going to be your "reasoning" for giving people advice to commit fraud. Everyone else thought the same as you do. "Everyone else does it" is all you crooks can come up with. [Mad]
with all respect, it is not fraud when you are protecting yourself from paying something you slant pay in the first place

When I sold my car, I sold it to my brother for 1 dollar, so he wouldn’t pay taxes, why the FOOCK the government would take tax for something it have already taxed us before?
Imagine you buy a car, for 10 and the government tax 1 as tax
Then you sell it for 9 and the government gets another 1 m then again sold for 8 and the government gets yet another 1
At the end you will find out that this government collected 20 for an item that cost 10.

Isn’t it enough they are taxing 60% when the car is first sold in Egypt ?
After that they still want to tax you when you sell it locally?

--------------------
Waleed
Welsafty@hotmail.com

Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Ah the voice of reason Welsafty. Have a good day.

--------------------
Whitelily

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com