EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » switch into CD or DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: switch into CD or DVD
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for spasm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good day everybody ,

I have a very precious video tape that I urgently need to switch into a CD or DVD , where can I find this service in Cairo ? and how much time this process takes ( 2.5 hours playing time tape)

Thanks a lot

Posts: 92 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent topic!

I'm waiting for some info on that too!

I could be having this luxury at hand without even having a clue, since I have a DVD player that records, so is it possible to use it to record the videos?

And I also have audio-cassette tapes (that I bought last year) of the kids stories collection of Abla Fadila from Al-Diwan.

The freaks still sell tapes!!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have a question. (I am an idiot when it comes to this topic)

When I download a moive from the Internet, it is of a type of format that can't be played by a regular DVD player. I have been trying to look for softwares that would transfer whatever format the movie is into either a VCD or a DVD format, but they all cost money

I need a good recommended software that is free

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muby
Member # 12717

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *The Dark Angel* aka CAT:

When I download a moive from the Internet, it is of a type of format that can't be played by a regular DVD player. I have been trying to look for softwares that would transfer whatever format the movie is into either a VCD or a DVD format, but they all cost money

u just need a codec to install on ur pc to play them, so easy

Posts: 51 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muby
Member # 12717

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

u just need a codec to install on ur pc to play them, so easy [Wink]
Posts: 51 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
Excellent topic!

I'm waiting for some info on that too!

I could be having this luxury at hand without even having a clue, since I have a DVD player that records, so is it possible to use it to record the videos?

And I also have audio-cassette tapes (that I bought last year) of the kids stories collection of Abla Fadila from Al-Diwan.

The freaks still sell tapes!!

If you have a VCR/DVD Recorder you can probably record HOME videos and some old things from VHS to DVD. However, most modern films have some kind of protection thingie so you can't copy the vids to DVD on the same machine.

What you really need is a thing that converts analogue signals to digital.

What I have done in preparation to moving to Egypt and not wishing to bring all my tapes etc with me, is buy an external USB (works on a 1.1) WinTV2000 personal video recorder for £34.99, (http://www.hauppauge.com/index.htm) and I can connect my video player to it, then it to the computer, then record the video onto computer. On DVD Extended Play quality (perfectly good enough) 42 mins takes about 1.2GB (so on that quality, a 2.5hour video will take about 3GB of space - filling up one DVD if you burn it on) so you also need loads of space (I have a 400GB external hard drive £84 to store it all). I can then play these on my computer. If you want you can then burn them onto DVD if your computer can do it, but I'm not bothered about that because its just for personal use so not violating any copyrights etc.

With regard to audio cassettes, vinyls etc, you need a cable that fits at one end into the headphone socket of your music player, and at the other end into the line-in on your computer. These cables aren't very expensive but make sure you know what size you need - especially for the music player.

Then you need software to do the actual recording - I have got included in my Windows XP Professional something called Windows Media Encoder which does the job for free. I think if you have a different Windows, rootle about a bit and you might find something that does the job.

A 40 minute vinyl album on the best quality available to me takes about 250MB. I did record one on a lower quality and it was 35mB and I couldn't hear the difference.

For talking cassettes (Tony Hancock going on as we speak!) a lower quality is fine - using about 25-35MB per half hour.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muby:
quote:

u just need a codec to install on ur pc to play them, so easy [Wink]
I have got these Codecs like divx & all that

But I want to be able to watch these movies on a regular DVD player

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same trouble. I was told that you have to get a converter. One that converts whatever the format to mpeg. Then you can burn it to a dvd.

I've looked online and there are no free ones. One I really like was like 30 dollars. I dl the free trial and it was very good software. The only thing with the free trial is that it had a watermark.

But if you do that quite a bit, it would be well worth the money. The one I liked was cucusoft.

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
If you have a VCR/DVD Recorder you can probably record HOME videos and some old things from VHS to DVD. However, most modern films have some kind of protection thingie so you can't copy the vids to DVD on the same machine.

What you really need is a thing that converts analogue signals to digital.

What I have done in preparation to moving to Egypt and not wishing to bring all my tapes etc with me, is buy an external USB (works on a 1.1) WinTV2000 personal video recorder for £34.99, (http://www.hauppauge.com/index.htm) and I can connect my video player to it, then it to the computer, then record the video onto computer. On DVD Extended Play quality (perfectly good enough) 42 mins takes about 1.2GB (so on that quality, a 2.5hour video will take about 3GB of space - filling up one DVD if you burn it on) so you also need loads of space (I have a 400GB external hard drive £84 to store it all). I can then play these on my computer. If you want you can then burn them onto DVD if your computer can do it, but I'm not bothered about that because its just for personal use so not violating any copyrights etc.

With regard to audio cassettes, vinyls etc, you need a cable that fits at one end into the headphone socket of your music player, and at the other end into the line-in on your computer. These cables aren't very expensive but make sure you know what size you need - especially for the music player.

Then you need software to do the actual recording - I have got included in my Windows XP Professional something called Windows Media Encoder which does the job for free. I think if you have a different Windows, rootle about a bit and you might find something that does the job.

A 40 minute vinyl album on the best quality available to me takes about 250MB. I did record one on a lower quality and it was 35mB and I couldn't hear the difference.

For talking cassettes (Tony Hancock going on as we speak!) a lower quality is fine - using about 25-35MB per half hour.

Wow this is great. Thank you so much OB.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com