EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Does anyone watch this @#$@?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone watch this @#$@?
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crypt76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
am sitting here at work translating this cooking show called "saturday kitchen", its all about a weird Brit cooking and cooking and nothing else but cooking... my question is, does anyone really watch this stuff? when i work on Showtime stuff or even movies or epis on MBC i know someone might watch and my work is going somewhere, but this @#$@, does anyone really watch it!! (yeah am mad and i want to chop my manager's head off)
Posts: 153 | From: cairo, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for spasm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transelating a cooking show !!? Are you a TV translator ? , those who are writing the subtitles in Arabic ? I’ve never met one before , it’s a please I have something like a zillion question that I want to ask you [Smile]

--------------------
painter

Posts: 92 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crypt76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shoot away my dear, i am one of the freaks subtitling the stuff you see on TV... salut

--------------------
never cry over spilt milk... get down on your knees and lick it

Posts: 153 | From: cairo, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for spasm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Please don’t tell me that you work for Nile TV [Smile]

--------------------
painter

Posts: 92 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
no way! Showtime mainly but i do work for MBC, Dubai, Fatafeet, Hallmark, E! and Much Music as well... nothing for the egyptian TV

--------------------

spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Do they have their headquarters in Cairo , I mean the MBC s ? I always thought it was somewhere in Lebanon

--------------------
painter

Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
actually its in Dubai, most of them have their headquarters over there, but i work for two companies here in egypt subcontracting their work, am not really a subtitler but rather a checker which means i review the work of subtitlers and hunt their mistakes (yes, am the bad guy lol) but i do subtitling sometimes when we have a shortage of subtitlers, and let me tell you, good ones are really hard to find

--------------------

spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
I believe you [Smile]
Now tell me , you as a movie subtitles expert , do you face difficulties in following some movie dialogues , especially if being pronounced in some unfamiliar accents ( Irish , welsh , cockney etc )
And Is there any device that you use that helps in slowing down the movie dialogue

--------------------
painter

Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
well most of the movies come with their scripts so that makes things easier, yet again thats why i said its hard to find good translators, u need someone who understands the language and the culture and not for just one country, in my case i have lived in the US and the UK so i can handle it all, in my field am called an "ace" cuz i can take any kind of work... and there is nothing to slow down the dialogue, you just have to relisten to what u missed till u get it (in case u dont have the script that is)

--------------------

spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Mr ace , do u consider it to be a boring job ? , because I can’t imagine myself obliged to watch this number of movies , series , talk shows and soaps all day around

--------------------
painter

Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
bos, in a way its boringm but i love it cuz you learn alot of things along the way... course if u keep translating talk shows and cooking @#$@ all the time u'll lose your mind and turn into a a purple people eater lol just checked your profile right now and found out you are a painter, care to elaborate?

--------------------

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer your question, yes there are lots of people who watch cooking shows. I watch Fatafeat (sp?)and love to see the different things they make.

I always wondered what they wrote in the subtitles when bad words came on or sexual talk. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
depends on the channel actually, showtime you can write anything what so ever but blasphemy is not allowed at all, as for MBS they were a little tight assed about so many things before, sex, drinks, relligion, but now they follow the Showtime rules, as for Fatafeet and the rest you'll notice they dont translate things like "pork" and any drinks cuz thats not allowed... and thank god someone watchs what i translate [Smile] )))

--------------------

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crypt76:
depends on the channel actually, showtime you can write anything what so ever but blasphemy is not allowed at all, as for MBS they were a little tight assed about so many things before, sex, drinks, relligion, but now they follow the Showtime rules, as for Fatafeet and the rest you'll notice they dont translate things like "pork" and any drinks cuz thats not allowed... and thank god someone watchs what i translate [Smile] )))

I watch Much Music, too, but since I don't read Arabic I don't know what it says. What about Zeearabyia (sp?), there is a guy on there named Simon, anybody watch him? What a weird-o, I can't watch his show because he makes me cringe. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
same rules of fatafeet apply to much music, but they changed a few things lately, if u have noticed the past month or so the subtitles turned into one liners instead of two but we faced problems with that so its back to the old style.. do u mean Simon Cowell from American Idol?

--------------------

seabreeze
Member # 10289

No, there's a guy who has his own show from a music channel called Zeearabiya and his name is 'Simon', he has an English accent but speaks Arabic, and he takes emails from viewers and plays the videos they request. He is the BIGGEST weird-o I've ever seen in my entire life, my husband I flip through channels and catch him sometimes and just look at each other in confusion. [Confused]
The name of his show is Semani I think.

Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
nope, don't know him at all, need to check out that weirdo through lol

--------------------

seabreeze
Member # 10289

OMG I found him! Here it is:
http://www.zeearabiya.com/images/vj_simon_big.jpg

His name is Simon Bechus:

http://www.zeearabiya.com/vj/profile_simon.htm

Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
checked him out, he looks the role [Smile]

--------------------

ummabdulraheem
Member # 13413

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ummabdulraheem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i was in england i used to watch saturday kitchen,i like it. i saw it on tv over here in egypt but it didnt seem quite as good for some reason.
Posts: 5 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and watching cooking shows????

No way, this would be a huge punishment! [Eek!]

Well I would reconcider if the cook was a hot-looking, dark-haired, muscular Chippendales dancer! Turn on the stove, baby!!!! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crypt do you do transcription?
[Smile]
Watch Rachael Ray on MBC4 she is the only cook around at the moment who is fun to watch, the men are like zombies!
[Razz]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
i do transcription and as a matter of fact i did translate a few rachael ray shows for MBC, fun to watch, granted, but one hell of a $#%$#$% to translate, she has a machine gun in her mouth sometimes that ol' Rachael [Smile] be one tomorrow after 12, wanna see my work? check the insider on MBC everyday, i do it in the morning daily and u see it at night... ciao for now folks

--------------------

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Rachel Ray was famous in the states first for doing some 30 minute cooking shows and I loved her! For some reason she does get on my nerves and does talk a lot, but she's adorable isn't she?

Ohhh the insider, such gossip, I will watch and say hi to you! [Big Grin]

Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
god i hate the insider so much but i am stuck with their contract and have to translate it every morning, actually am starting on today's episode right now [Smile]

--------------------

whtsthedealpickle
Member # 13412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for whtsthedealpickle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
question: how did you get that job? i speak Spanish and was always wondering where i could get a job translating for mexican tv (i studied predominately mexican-spanish) or translating movies into Spanish. do you work at the MBC office or is it something you can do part-time from your home? and, can you work subtitling in the US?

--------------------
My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish, but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
got the job through an ad in the newspaper, here in egypt there's a high demand for english/arabic translators, dont know about spanish though... you can check www.translatorscafe.com, they post new jobs all over the world all the time... i work for a company subcontracting for MBC, Showtime and some other providers, and yes you can take it as a part-time or full-time job according to your time actually but it pays well... as for me working as a subtitler in the US, i dont mind as i already do work for a DVD production company in the US through the net

--------------------

whtsthedealpickle
Member # 13412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for whtsthedealpickle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats awesome!!! thank you so much.

that's something that i have thought about doing for a while. is it better to get contracted online, or for a company thats in your region? (( i mean as far as finding work, the contracts, and the security of the company))

--------------------
My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish, but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
course working for a company is much better, but they always start with you on freelance bases till you gain experience and they know you're worth it then you are in for a fulltime job, however online work is good for gaining that extra point on your CV plus its good money lol

--------------------

Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Crypt can you ask the Insider to stop all the breaks in between. The actual show only amounts to about 5 actual minutes of film and the rest is repeat after repeat of what is coming up next!! Grrr
but I guess you know that already lol
[Big Grin]

Do you do english dialogue to english transcribe?

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
yes

--------------------

seabreeze
Member # 10289

MBC 4 used to have a pretty good line up last season, I don't like it at all this season, everything sucks! They had old Seinfeld reruns on for about 5 minutes and then took it off, that was the best, now they show crap like 'summerland' and that Australian princess crap. What is that, does anyone really watch it??
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
actually i translate alot of that stuff but i dont like any of the MBC channels, Showtime is the best

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com