EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Looking for a Gym in Zamalek...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for a Gym in Zamalek...
IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for IV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Does anyone know of a good (preferably Cheap) Gym in Zamalek? Somewhere near the AUC facilities?..

Posts: 22 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AUC is not on Zamalek
Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.. There is an AUC Bookstore, clinic etc.. in Zamalek.. That's all.

But either way, Any Gyms in Zamalek?.. I think there might be one of AUCs gyms in Zamalek..
Is there?

--------------------
Eh...

Posts: 22 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah there's one in Yamama centre, and that's close to AUC hostel.
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks?..
Do you know how much it costs?

--------------------
Eh...

IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
Oh.. the FDA Fitness center is in Yamama.. Sounds expensive.. Also, doesn't the AUC have a gym in Zamalek?

--------------------
Eh...

IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
I mean, 'does' it have a gym in Zamalek.

--------------------
Eh...

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I've no clue ? [Frown]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Yeah there's one in Yamama centre, and that's close to AUC hostel.

http://www.yamamacenter.com/gym.html
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
@Tigerlily.. Yeah,.. That's the FDA Fitness Center..

Their site doesn't have any pricing/membership info. .and nobody is responding when I try phone/email.. .. An email sent to them comes back as undeliverable

--------------------
Eh...

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IV:
@Tigerlily.. Yeah,.. That's the FDA Fitness Center..

Their site doesn't have any pricing/membership info. .and nobody is responding when I try phone/email.. .. An email sent to them comes back as undeliverable

Look, I just called them up all the way from Germany!! [Big Grin]

You need to add a 2 before you dial the other seven digits 7377500. I got through!!

Good luck and happy work out if this gym is appealing to you.

~ TL

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
*sigh* .. Being too lazy... as usual. I only emailed them and lied (or stated incorrectly) that I phoned them as well.

I think I'll call them sooner or later.. with a pen and a pad.

Called from Germany?. If it was free (cheap) what did you use?

Also, Thanks..

Hope they aren't too expensive.. for a month Membership.

--------------------
Eh...

JinJin
Member # 14821

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JinJin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I need a gym in Zamalek also.

I just called FDA gym in Yamama Center (2737 7500).

Membership:

6 months - 3,200
12 months - 4,200

The membership price includes initial fitness and fat tests and you have full use of the gym and all aerobic classes. (open 8am - 12 midnight).

The Marriott Gym (2735 8888) open 24 hours
**Discount for embassy staff

Membership:

3 months - 2,860
6 months - 4,180
12 months - 6,050

Includes use of gym, sauna, pool, tennis courts. No aerobics.

Posts: 83 | From: Egypt | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
Hey.. Thanks JinJin..

Did they say anything about a month membership? Also, the FDA gym has so many different kinds of memberships.. Do you know what is the least costly (read as: I am cheap) membership type they have?

Man. The Marriot is really expensive.. Probably won't go in there...

Are there walk-ins possible?

--------------------
Eh...

xxx
Member # 8622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JinJin:
Ok, I need a gym in Zamalek also.

I just called FDA gym in Yamama Center (2737 7500).

Membership:

6 months - 3,200
12 months - 4,200

The membership price includes initial fitness and fat tests and you have full use of the gym and all aerobic classes. (open 8am - 12 midnight).

The Marriott Gym (2735 8888) open 24 hours
**Discount for embassy staff

Membership:

3 months - 2,860
6 months - 4,180
12 months - 6,050

Includes use of gym, sauna, pool, tennis courts. No aerobics.

These prices are astronomical. That's more than I pay here!
Posts: 132 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
Man.. both the FDA and the Marriot Hotel are really expensive..

Anyone know how much a 1 month membership will cost?

Also, I know that the AUC has a gym in Zamalek. Does anyone know how much it would cost to use it? If it's open to non-students?

--------------------
Eh...

mkhasen
Member # 15388

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mkhasen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Zamalek too. The gym in Yamama center is piece of **** and they charge almost $100 per month unless you subscribe for entire year. Stupid policy. Mariot Hotel's gym is small and they also charge over $100 per month. I would say there are no other gyms in Zamalek.
Posts: 19 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
Then..mkhasen.. Is there one that you go to?.. Off Zamalek, but at least close to it, so that taking the taxi there a few time a week and the membership cost less than whatever it is at Yamama or Marriot.
IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
Also, have you tried to see if AUC (if it has a gym in Zamalek) allows non-students access to its gym?

--------------------
Eh...

IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
Man, The prices for FDA are really expensive.. like JinJin said..

I found a monthly rate for it and it was 800 LE. Absurd.

I wonder what the daily entrance prices are for the Marriot Hotel Gym.. or if the Gezira Sporting club has a Gym...Anyone know?

Also, JinJin and Mkhasen, What gyms do you guys go to? Or which ones have you found out are NOT worth going to?

I just need a place with a dumbbells,barbells and pull up bars.. maybe a few machines. I don't need a full gym and I don't want to buy the stuff as I'll be working out in Zamalek for only a month....

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gyms and sports clubs in Cairo are generally absolutely extortionately expensive - more expensive than the UK in many cases.
I doubt very much you would be able to use Gezira Sporting club - the membership there is something like 150000LE to keep the riffraff out! (and no, I'm not exaggeratingly adding 000 to the end of that number!)
I often see signs high up on blocks of flats for gyms so start scanning the walls - you're more likely to find affordable gyms that way I think.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
Hey,.. Thanks.. I guess I'll try that..

Or maybe a small local gym..
On the other hand, I could do a lot more running now.....

--------------------
Eh...

IV
Member # 16101

Rate Member
No luck... yet... Need to know where to look to find 'gym' in arabic.. How do you say 'gymnasium' or 'exercise' etc.. in Arabic?

--------------------
Eh...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com