EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » My trip to Luxor :D

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My trip to Luxor :D
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well what did I do in my 3 day sojourn?

I arrived on New Year's Eve about 8am, got to my hotel (as posted on 'train' thread) and crashed out for 3 hours. Posted on ES, then never went near a computer again until this afternoon back home in Cairo [Big Grin]

I decided to brave a walk along the Corniche - with a year of living in Cairo under my belt I was interested to see how I could deal with the touristic hassle. It wasn't too bad - "where you from" 'Cairo' usually resulting in 'happy new year and have a nice trip'. The rest of the time a polite but smiling 'la shokran' or a little bit of banter in my proto-arabic was enough. There were a couple of more persistant types but I got away with wallet unscathed.

I then met up with another Well Known Denizen of ES (WKDES) for a while and we had coffee and chat.

New Year's Eve - well what can I say - the party never happened, I rang the guy and said 'where the party' and he was asleep in bed [Roll Eyes] so I saw the New Year in with 1 other guest at the hotel sharing a packet of biscuits, some koshari and a bottle of mango-flavoured Fayrouz - it was nice though watching the fireworks and listening to all the car horns going off at midnight and one of the hotel discos was giving it some welly.

On New Year's Day I met up with someone else and we decided to go play tourists and visited Luxor Temple. In the evening, we met up with a WKDES and went for koshari falafels and schwarma at a place in Television Street.

Next day (Friday) a new 'friend' gave us a trip around some of the East Bank villages in a micrbus and we went to his sister's house and she made us omlettes - it was very relaxing and pleasant. However the sticky subject of money was broached then and later (I had been led to believe by my new friend that he owned the microbus and it was a freebie - but suffice to say it wasn't his microbus, and ended up costing 100LE!! So beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts.... or Luxor men in this particular case and if you do get offered 'freebies' they probably aren't.)

We had a lovely felluca ride courtesy of another WKDES and I had a great evening with the two WKDES just chillaxin.

Saturday - I was definately ready to come home to Cairo, for some reason I found it harder to be relaxed about the corniche and found myself getting a bit tetchy once or twice when the 15th person asked if you want a felluca ride.

We went to the mummifcation museum (which is small so don't think it will take half a day or anything) and we went over to the West Bank on the Ferry (1LE each way).

Wandered up the hill and took a left through the 'town'. We found a really great place to spend the afternoon - Pizzaland. Absolutely no hassle at all, very reasonable prices, I had a huge chicken fateer which I couldn't finish - I think it was about 13LE and my companion a smaller one for a bit less. We relaxed and chatted there until about 4pm then made our way back as I wanted to go back to my base for 5pm to change ready for the coach departure at 630pm.

It was a lovely relaxing little break and it was great to meet up with 3 ESers I never met before. Waving.... you can reveal yourselves if you wish [Wink]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

I then met up with another Well Known Denizen of ES (WKDES) for a while and we had coffee and chat.

In the evening, we met up with a WKDES and went for koshari falafels and schwarma at a place in Television Street.

........and I had a great evening with the two WKDES just chillaxin.

I own up to these bits [Big Grin]

Was great to meet you SQ, [Big Grin]

I see you didnt mention the rather flamboyant African and the 16 year old and the other WKDES [Cool]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

In the evening, we met up with a WKDES and went for koshari falafels and schwarma at a place in Television Street.

........and I had a great evening with the two WKDES just chillaxin.

I own up to these bits [Big Grin]

Was great to meet you SQ, [Big Grin]

I see you didnt mention the rather flamboyant African and the 16 year old and the other WKDES [Cool]

Yes I did (not the 16 year old though hehehe)- let discretion ever be my watchword [Wink]

Other WKDES:

"We had a lovely felluca ride courtesy of **another WKDES** and I had a great evening with the two WKDES just chillaxin." <- this meant the evening round yours [Wink]

Flamboyant African person (not Egyptian):

"I saw the New Year in with 1 other guest at the hotel sharing a packet of biscuits, some koshari and a bottle of mango-flavoured Fayrouz"

It was great to meet you Ayisha and I'm waiting for you to tell the story ....... [Wink]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shanta, you really want ME to tell the story? [Eek!]

I am glad you didnt tell about the 16 year old, the other WKDES should tell that one, if she dare [Big Grin]

"Flamboyant African person (not Egyptian):

"I saw the New Year in with 1 other guest at the hotel sharing a packet of biscuits, some koshari and a bottle of mango-flavoured Fayrouz"

you call THAT a story? [Roll Eyes] I can see I need to work on you a little more shanta dear, you have to learn to spice it up a bit, like subtle hints there was more to the packet of biscuits and bottle of Mango flavoured fayrouz. Give it a proper romantic setting like the rooftop garden, stars, etc. You got the fireworks in but forgot stars, moon, soft music and stuff, car horns just doesnt 'do it'. Some of these guys need more of a push to the imagination than that [Wink]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Well the rooftop garden the stars, me and a guy....

told me he thought I was 26 LOL.

I told him I had been mistaken for 25 by an older lady a couple of months ago so as she was a lady I knew she wasn't just a guy flattering me - and he said in a very arch way 'and I'm a guy not flattering you either' (why does the song - I'm a Little Teapot
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FkNxBEO1vmg
- suddenly spring unbidden in to my head [Big Grin] ) - I said 'I know, I guessed' so there was lots of 'oh my, flouncing, scarf swinging etc.

I gave him a new year kiss on the cheek - and he went 'oh my oh my I been kissed by a girl' - 'bet that's a first for you' I said - 'no' he said 'but its been a very long time' [Wink]

LOL. He was hilarious.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very romantic and all, but to go all the way to Luxor and not see the Karnak nor the Luxor temple on the east side, then nothing at all about the valley of the kings, Ramses II and Tut Ankhamun's temples or the valley of the queens on the west side ??!! no Hatshepsut temple ??!! nothing !!!! come on!! Historians will pay fortunes for a glimpse of those treasures, what microbus ride ? no bazar, no karkadeh, aswan peanuts, dried skooti dates...I'm very disappointed at you Shanta !! [Mad]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

DZ I've been to Luxor 4 times before (and before I started writing my trips up here)!!! I did Valley of the Kings, Queens, Hatsepchut, Karnak & Luxor Temples, Luxor Museum alabaster factory, Qurna, Banana Island, Crocodile Island just over 3 years ago! And some of them twice!

This was just a 3 day break from Cairo - especially catch with an Egyptian friend who is leaving Egypt for the US in the next few weeks [Big Grin]

Yes I did go on a microbus from Television St to the train station and down the bazaar. Didn't do the peanuts or dates though. Didn't have kirkadee this trip but I've had it before.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh ! that's better now, or else you would have been dethroned from your 'Egypt Lover' title and wouldn't be the Shanta I had in mind. [Wink]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's addicted to microbuses don't you know! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

HTH DZ [Big Grin]

Anyway, doesn't the fact that I got in a half day trip to the villages including visiting with an Egyptian family at home count [Wink]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Sure it counts..now that you're back how did the kids meet you at home ? are they sulking ? hope not. [Roll Eyes]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Not sulking now, but their protest was registered by dragging their dinner over every available surface. Luckily there does not appear to have been a 'dirty protest' this time - unless the cat-sitter hasn't told me!
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

"We had a lovely felluca ride courtesy of **another WKDES** and I had a great evening with the two WKDES just chillaxin." <- this meant the evening round yours [Wink]

Ok, so I own up to being this WKDES!! At least I would do if I knew what a WKDES was!

Um, whats this about a 16year old?? And am i allowed to tell the story about the felucca mast?

Great to meet you Shanta!!! I hope to get the chance again!!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Yes yes you can tell the felucca mast story [Wink]

(I'm not actually sure what the 16year old story is!!)

WKDES - Well Known Denizen of ES [Big Grin]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

PS in the post above for Pizza Land - take a RIGHT on the West Bank not a left! Only just noticed!
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
PS in the post above for Pizza Land - take a RIGHT on the West Bank not a left! Only just noticed!

hahahahahaha now YOU cant tell left from right [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I led shanta a merry dance insisting she take a left turn to my house but she ended up 'on a main road' coz I meant take a right turn [Big Grin] She eventually got here and shinnied up the felucca mast.

Hope you didnt get splinters on the way down though, you did fly down that mast a bit faster than you got up it [Frown]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

yes, all those daft 'management training away weeks' with the shinning up the telegraph poles attached to zip wires sure paid off getting to yours [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:

Um, whats this about a 16year old??

ooooh shareen you know very well whats this about a 16 year old, in fact you know better than any of us [Wink]
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the felucca mast was carted all the way from the Corniche by a posse of strapping lads because while Shanta was happily lazing away the afternoon on the river, word got out that Ayisha had yet again been locked in the flat while hubby went away for the next 6 months, and Shanta took the decision to mount another rescue operation. Not to rescue Ayisha I hasten to add, but to rescue the remainder of the Christmas cake that was still lurking in the fridge!
Shanta helped to dismantle the mast by hoisting her knickers up the mast and using the elastic to pull the top of the mast down to ground level, thereby allowing said strapping lads to haul the mast out of its mounting. Mounting? Who mounted what?
I was waiting outside the flat, with a desperate Ayisha crying over the balcony. She had run out of koshari and cross stitch kits and was desperate.
Shanta and strapping lads eventually arrived on a donkey which had a huge grin on its face after a very successful mounting, and proceeded to attempt to place the mast alongside the balcony.
One of the lads had to climb the mast to close the sail as it was now flapping wildly in the wind, and Ayisha's neighbours thought their washing was blowing away!
Eventually Shanta and I reached the balcony to find ourselves pushed back down because we had forgotten the koshari! We returned with koshari in a basket, and were allowed to enter the flat. Coffee was served, but the Christmas cake was out of bounds.

Result? A backwards shimmy down the mast and a quick exit to play with the strapping lads and the mast!

Sorry, Ayisha, no Christmas Cake........ no rescue!

Oh, and the 16 year old was ...... um...... interesting

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
can someone shimmy up with some bread?? shareen I saved you a crumb [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mira Sol
Member # 15569

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mira Sol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This all must have happened while I was out meeting the family and settling on a price (in camels) for the future marriage of our dear Sahnta to the one eyed man. He declares they will live forever in Happy Village, eating omellettes and bread every day.
BTW Shanta, I already have the camels in my posession so we are awaiting your return [Big Grin] The 16 year old has already met another Brit aged 63 so I hope you are not too heart broken over that bit of news [Frown]

Posts: 929 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

How many camels? I'm not marrying anyone for less than 12 camels no matter how many eyes he's got.
Do you think that's the one we saw on the boat? The 16 year old 'man' with the 63 year old woman?

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Shareen - noone told me about the Christmas Cake - if I'd have known .....
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
If you'd have known you still wouldnt have got any [Razz] saving that for hubby coming home [Cool]

--------------------

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

huh [Razz]

anyway I'm not keen on christmas cake - only the marzipan [Big Grin]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mira Sol:
This all must have happened while I was out meeting the family and settling on a price (in camels) for the future marriage of our dear Sahnta to the one eyed man. He declares they will live forever in Happy Village, eating omellettes and bread every day.
BTW Shanta, I already have the camels in my posession so we are awaiting your return [Big Grin] The 16 year old has already met another Brit aged 63 so I hope you are not too heart broken over that bit of news [Frown]

I thought she dumped the 16 year old for the lovely African of New Years Eve? He had 2 eyes though, but that was before he spent New Years Eve with shanta [Roll Eyes]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
huh [Razz]

anyway I'm not keen on christmas cake - only the marzipan [Big Grin]

Marry me!!! that's the bit I don't like [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Urmmmm I'm a bit lost now - do you have to get married to eat marzipan in Egypt? Do they even HAVE marzipan in Egypt?
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
They have marzipan brought back from UK, its on my cake [Big Grin] I think so anyway, will have to ask Shareen, im sure I remember a discussion about marzipan, or Christmas Pud or something [Confused]

forget the marriage offer, I have no camels to offer and you can't cook anyway [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I can too cook. Just coz I hate cooking and loathe and detest it with every ounce of my being doesn't mean I can't do it [Wink]
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
I am afraid the cake was homemade in the UK, the white marzipan was shipped in from the UK, and the ready to roll royal icing was also shipped in from the UK.
I have one quarter of the cake left, complete with marzipan and icing, and I am not sharing it with anyone!
Who is the one eyed man?

Mira Sol
Member # 15569

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mira Sol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink]
The one eyed man? Well actually he does have two eyes but one of them is a glass marble. And you know he doesnt have that many camels to throw around, I have two camels and am keeping 1.5 of them as a finders fee.

And yes, even though you were in denial at the time your 16 has already taken his new bride to live with his family on the West Bank. She may look every day of 63 from the front, but from the back she looked as good as any 30 year old.

Posts: 929 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am confused [Smile] . . . but i think i need to go down to Luxor to check on things!

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
cbrbddd, I will put the word out, im sure you will raise a fair few camels and maybe a donkey or 2. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
cbrbddd, I will put the word out, im sure you will raise a fair few camels and maybe a donkey or 2. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

hmmmm, camels? donkey?? I have a donkey of my own . . . maybe I can sell when I get to egypt, lol.

and maybe some marzipan to sweeten the deal [Big Grin]

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Sorry, right out of marzipan, but still have some pud left if anyone wants to start making bids!
Its not cheap though.

And I am totally confused now, which 63 yr old went to the West Bank? Was it the one my taxi man nearly ran over on Zenatti last night? Or is she nearly 90?

Mira Sol
Member # 15569

Rate Member
the 63 year old is unkonwn other than she made off with SQ's 16 year old. Sad story that [Frown]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:

And I am totally confused now, which 63 yr old went to the West Bank? Was it the one my taxi man nearly ran over on Zenatti last night? Or is she nearly 90?

That was me ya silly moo [Roll Eyes]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com