EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Help ! Internet Connection in Cairo !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help ! Internet Connection in Cairo !
Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Everyone

I need help !

I currently get my DSL connection by sharing with the neighbours in my building. I have had enough of her maid pulling out the router to vacuum and of course every month the bill doesn't get paid. On top of that is extremely SLOW, can't even watch YouTube.

I need a reliable high speed connection as I need to do some video conferencing. I checked my upload speed and it is currently 73.47 kbit/s. I need at least 512 kbit/s.

Anyone have a good experience with any of the DSL companies ? Is it going to cost me a fortune for a high speed connection ?

Posts: 62 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have Link (wifi). No complaints.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have TeData. No complaints either. [Smile]

You can check the prices here:

http://www.tedata.net/web/eg/en/default.aspx?sec=3&pr=2

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
basha
Member # 17145

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for basha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've been with Te-Data for 4 years now and its working pretty well
Posts: 50 | From: heliopolis | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using a Vodafone dongle of late and have had no issues whatsoever [Big Grin]

Tedata are very reliable as well for me.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Dexter:
I currently get my DSL connection by sharing with the neighbours in my building.

This isn't sharing, its called larceny from an unsecure internet wireless connection.. [Roll Eyes] most probably you're not the only one in that building doing it, that's why its so slow. [Frown]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GBA
Member # 14862

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Etisalat have a very good service and as its a fixed price per month for up to 4GB then you dont get any surprises.
Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GilesA:
Etisalat have a very good service and as its a fixed price per month for up to 4GB then you dont get any surprises.

You can go through 4 GB pretty fast though - especially if you watch YouTube.

I had one of those Broadband USB from Virgin Mobile in the States. They told me 2 GB would last 30 days even if I stayed online for 2 hours per day. It only lasted about 1 1/2 weeks and all I did was send a few emails, do some internet banking, and look at webpages - that was without watching any videos.

It's better to find one that offers unlimited - I think Vodafone does.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
basha
Member # 17145

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for basha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
[
It's better to find one that offers unlimited - I think Vodafone does. [/QB]

For Sure
Posts: 50 | From: heliopolis | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brit clubs
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an Etisalat dongle. I have the 149LE per month 'unlimited' pack. I get the first 6GB at good speed, then it drops down but you don't get any additional charges.

Last month I used about 12GB and to be fair did not notice too much of a problem with the speed reduced. I was still able to use Skype without problem for phone calls etc.

I had major issues with the ADSL when I had zero landline or DSL for 3 months and TEData and Telecom Egypt spent 3 months blaming each other and the obvious solution, to send 2 engineers - one from each company - at the same time to the box of wire tricks - did not happen and I decided to cancel TEData as the landline is more important to me.

Over a year later, I have still not, despite visiting their office in Mohandseen personally, got whatever secret code it is you need to allow me to try another ADSL company, but all in all, I am very very happy with Etisalat and am now achieving constant up times of 50-60 hours regularly, and the longest so far has been 106 hours!

You can pay 299LE and get a much faster speed for your first 6GB per month before it drops. However, I thought if I were going to pay out the extra I would in fact get a second dongle so I get 12GB at the 3.6 Mb/s speed instead of 6GB at 7.2 Mb/s.

Do check your Etisalat reception in your locality first though or get them to agree to a refund if it doesn't get a decent enough signal. I do have to keep my dongle permanently outside on the window ledge (with a patent arrangement of extension cables [Wink] ) to get those consistent connection up times.

(And a big plus out where I live is that I am unaffected by theft of copper telecom cabling in the desert which often zaps the telephone lines round here for days at a time - the only time my internet was out was when the Med cables were ripped up and the whole Middle East, Africa and India went down. Even then, the second time that happened, within 24 hours Etisalat had worked some magic and was patching us through a different route and I had some fabulous speeds for a few days!)

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Tedata for almost 5 years and my speed is 2mb and I download 10G everyday my computer is on 24/7 [Smile]
Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com