EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » British tv?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: British tv?
Miss Daisy
Member # 17494

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone get British tv here?
I mean BBC1/2/3 Itv etc and not just BBC world.
I used to get it in Germany on Astra 2 but havnt heard anything here.
Cheers [Big Grin]

Posts: 17 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no not now. Used to get BBC Prime but even that was taken off [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are prepared to do a bit of googling, read up on free proxies, find a site that lists them (and checks them every few hours - they are by their very nature ephemeral hence no point me giving you any numbers), then google how to put them in your browser.
Then you can watch BBC iPlayer (or ITV).
However, you do need a pretty good internet connection because using proxies slows it down. In fact, I have just abandoned watching Dr Who tonight because of that. Will have to wait til my internet connectin speed goes back up again as I have super-exceeded my fast allowance this month! (And no, I don't have DSL).

PS this is also how you can get to watch all those YouTube vids that won't play in 'your' country wherever it is.

And PPS remember to take the numbers off again when you've finished so you aren't cussing your ISP for slowing your speed down when it's your own fault [Big Grin]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get all the soaps, Holby, weakest Link etc. from the BBC packages on Showtime (Orbit). BBC food, BBC entertainment etc... we also get all premiership football, movies and news.

If you are a member of the British Club Association you are eligible for a discount when registering with showtime.

There is also a British TV website that is £5 a month to watch all you please. (I binned the paper I had it written on but I can easily obtain it.

Iplayer doesn't play all programmes in Egypt as I have frustratingly discovered.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooooooh so you are all watching UK telly and im stuck bemoaning that fact im missing BBC Prime!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience is that if you want to watch streaming television programs, you will have the best connection in the day.
Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely watch it to be honest Ayisha!

Hardly ever watched BBC back in Blighty - my fave channel back in the UK was C5 which is pretty well comparable to what MBC Action is here - so that tends to be my channel of choice most of the time.

Actually, I watch tv maybe twice a week here if that. Anyway, got a growing catalogue of other stuff that's way more interesting.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Daisy
Member # 17494

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what does the showtime cost? I miss Eastenders [Frown] Managed to get it for 8 years in Germany and thought I could go cold turkey but how its killing me [Smile]
Posts: 17 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Miss Daisy:
So what does the showtime cost? I miss Eastenders [Frown] Managed to get it for 8 years in Germany and thought I could go cold turkey but how its killing me [Smile]

No need! Another way of getting them just a few hours behind is by HUNTing for ISOs. Just checked, yesterday's episode has been up for 10.5 hours already.

Get an Egy male on the case for you [Wink]

Tell him Eastenders.S26E57 and it will be in .rar format.

Is Holby City weekly, because it's going up weekly.

Also just checked Corrie and last night's episode is up.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It costs around 1400le for 6 months (this info is from my Mum...) I know it isn't a right lot for what you receive.

You can also get a box like skyplus so you can record programmes and watch them whenever.

I don't hardly watch any tv... but I do like to flick through and catch a real crime programme or some stand up comedy.

We have over 100 channels and my folks are pretty pleased with it, they can bookmark their fave programmes so they don't miss anything.

Don't forget their will also be the world cup, which I can assure you won't be easy to stream... if it is has been like the European Cup it will be a nightmare to find a half decent site that can be viewed in Egypt.

Eastenders is virtually up to date with the UK going by a few expats Facebook status... they thanked folk for not spoiling the Archie plot. I think we are about 3 weeks behind.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:

you can watch Eastenders and all the other soaps here:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/CraneEstate/index/

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mis Daisy:

For 110 sterling pounds ( one off purchase ) you can watch all the UK TV channeles and frew view ones..etcwhile you are in Egypt or anywhere in the world … you an watch them on your PC or Laptop(also you an watch them at your TV if you connect the laptop to TV)
I am always surprise that most of the people in UK are not aware of:
SLING MEDIA Slingbox Solo SB260-110 Media Streamer
which is on sale for many years at PCworld , check the information here

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/r/sling/0_0_0/

also check more on this

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sling-media-slingbox-solo-sb260-110-media-streamer-00938947-pdt.html

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/slingbox.htm/printable you can find an explanation
Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com