EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Having a child in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having a child in Egypt
Rashaaa
Member # 15206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rashaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious to know what the conditions are like in private vs gov't (?) medical hospitals there in Egypt.

I am not pregnant but the wife to my husband's brother [I refuse to call that *(&^ %$#^) my SIL] just miscarried at 24 weeks - the baby obviously didn't have a chance - but I am wondering if they had had better healthcare, if the baby could not have had a better fighting chance?

Posts: 385 | From: In my hayati's heart and thoughts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have much faith in Egyptian hospitals in general (which def was caused by a traumatic experience years ago) so I doubt the kid stood any chance.

For a baby to be born at 24 weeks gestation means a 50% chance of survival (in the Western world) - in Egypt it's most likely a death sentence.

I am very sad for your friend's loss. [Frown]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rashaaa
Member # 15206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rashaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I thought Tiger, but it's not my friend [Smile] [it's the wife to my husband's brother].

In all honesty, it was a blessing in disguise at this girl was at her best not even healthy, and doctors had already told her she could never carry a baby to term [she didn't try to not get pregnant]. She's a royal pain to everyone in the family - they do not like her, and are quite vocal about it.

My husband's brother needs to divorce her, and had stayed with her coz of the baby - now that it is no more...he is free INSHALLAH!

It's sad when any life is lost, but everything happens for a reason - I do believe.

--------------------
رِحْلِة الأَلْف مِيل تَبْدَأ بِخَطْوَة

Posts: 385 | From: In my hayati's heart and thoughts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In many Western countries it is now standard procedure not to resuscitate a baby under 26 weeks. They are just too little.
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
In many Western countries it is now standard procedure not to resuscitate a baby under 26 weeks. They are just too little.

26 weeks?? There is a great chance that the baby will indeed survive.

Which Western countries you are refering to? Any link??

That is Germany:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children_shealth/7375421/Premature-baby-Tom-Thumb-born-at-25-weeks-weighing-half-a-pound-survives.html [Smile]

The UK, USA and also Germany have guidelines which state not to give medical treatment to babies under 22 weeks because their chance of survival is zero (I just googled the info).

For the UK: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15730874/

Oh my.... what a sad thread.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rashaaa:
I am curious to know what the conditions are like in private vs gov't (?) medical hospitals there in Egypt.

There is no way to fairly answer that other than it depends on a lot of things, but mostly money.

Imagine pre-natal healthcare that consists of an injection of antibiotics and an "Insh'Allah."

Is it any wonder babies are celebrated well after birth and often hidden away from the "Evil Eye" of jealous onlookers?

I'm sorry for your family's loss.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com