EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » 9/11 aftermath..... still in my mind... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 9/11 aftermath..... still in my mind...
FutureEgyptian
Member # 4571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FutureEgyptian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's go back to Brian's question about 9/11. I am American, but Egypt is a BIG part of who I am. I will live there one day as an expat, and like akshar, I will probably die and spend eternity there.

First of all, let me say that I despise the term "Islamic Terrorists". I don't believe that terrorists act in the name of any religion or any god. Terrorism is just an extreme and violent form of politics. I am not a political person - I am generally disgusted by politics no matter where it happens in the world. My view may sound naive, but so be it.

On 9/11, I was sitting at my desk, watching the news bulletins come in on my computer screen. Of course, I was stunned and saddened, as were humane people all over the world.

Over the few minutes, my phone rang twice. The first call was my best friend in Cairo. He'd seen the news reports on CNN and knew that I have friends in New York. He called to ask about my safety and theirs. He was with his mother and she was crying to see such horror supposedly in the name of Allah.

The second call was from my best friend in New York. She was sitting at her desk in Midtown Manhattan and had just seen the plane hit the second tower. As we spoke, my colleagues in New York were in a conference room that overlooked the Financial District - they were watching the tower burn and people jumping out windows to their death just to avoid being incinerated. Many times during that day, my friends and co-workers trudged down to Ground Zero, trying to help as many people as they could get away from the area and get medical attention. My friends are white, African American, Arab, Indian, Asian, Latino, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, atheist. It didn't matter who or what they were, they were just human and they all helped.

Before that day and many times since, I have been to Egypt. Egyptians have always welcomed me with open arms. Yes, they are curious about American opinions of George Bush and Iraq. And yes, I answer their questions honestly - I didn't vote for Bush and I didn't approve of invading Iraq.

Most of the people I know here have never been to Egypt, although they don't say bad things about Egyptians or about Muslims. They denounce terrorism whether it comes from the US or the other side of the world. I tell them about the warmth of Egyptian people and ask them to open their hearts and their minds.

I have learned that I need to read both American and Egyptian newspapers. Both say they report the facts, but I believe the truth lies somewhere in between. We just all have to be intelligent enough to be open-minded and come to our own conclusions.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dajjal supreme
Member # 4381

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dajjal supreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
This doesn't mean we hate other countries or anything. We just are a bit arrogant, self-centered, and isolated from the rest of the world.

As you have stated yourself Americans are isolated from the rest of the world and 'a bit' gives the impression that it's on a small scale which is simply not true. And therefore Americans are susceptible to embracing everything stated by their government as the absolute truth as they have not been exposed to opposing views. That combined with the Anti Arab/Muslim US media will lead the Americans to hate Arabs and Muslims because they are only aware of one side of the story. Like I said they are greatly misinformed, and it is not our job to go and shove what's really going in front of their faces. And this arrogance displayed by America does make it extremely difficult to sympathise with them.

[This message has been edited by dajjal supreme (edited 21 June 2004).]

Posts: 170 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dajjal supreme:
As you have stated yourself Americans are isolated from the rest of the world and 'a bit' gives the impression that it's on a small scale which is simply not true. And therefore Americans are susceptible to embracing everything stated by their government as the absolute truth as they have not been exposed to opposing views. That combined with the Anti Arab/Muslim US media will lead the Americans to hate Arabs and Muslims because they are only aware of one side of the story. Like I said they are greatly misinformed, and it is not our job to go and shove what's really going in front of their faces. And this arrogance displayed by America does make it extremely difficult to sympathise with them. [This message has been edited by dajjal supreme (edited 21 June 2004).]

Dajjal, you & your ilk are determined to believe that all Americans hate you, despite all my words to the contrary. So fine, have at it. Think what you like. I know believing all Americans hate you makes it easier for you to hate us, which is really the issue here.

*yawn* And with that, I'm outta this thread now...

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing to take into account is that all the people on this Forum are pro Egyptian otherwise they would not bother to join in. WE are only able to speak for ourselves. It is all the others that we need to convince and worry about.

Half the people that I know who are aware that i live in Egypt ask me if I am worried about being there with a war going on - the geography of it all foxes them.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out what these Americans are saying about the new terrorist trend of beheading prisoners:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/cgi-bin/ultbb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=043927;p=1

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dajjal supreme
Member # 4381

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dajjal supreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carleen:
Dajjal, you & your ilk are determined to believe that all Americans hate you, despite all my words to the contrary. So fine, have at it. Think what you like. I know believing all Americans hate you makes it easier for you to hate us, which is really the issue here.

What just because you stated it makes it correct? If you also told me the moon was made of cheese, do you also expect me to accept that as the truth? I don't really care about your words unless you have at least some evidence to back up what your saying. And from what I have observed from personal experience I can securely say your living in a delusional America of your own, and not the true America we know of. Of course then again an easier way of avoiding the issue is just to not to tackle the problems at it's roots and claim it is 'us' who hate Americans.
You remind of Bush when he said "They are either with us, or against us", yet I was neither with him, and didn't support terrorism. You will find in the real world Carleen that answers to a problem are not usually limited to two options. Just because I disagree with you, it does not mean I am automatically inclined to hate you.

Posts: 170 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As you have stated yourself Americans are isolated from the rest of the world and 'a bit' gives the impression that it's on a small scale which is simply not true. And therefore Americans are susceptible to embracing everything stated by their government as the absolute truth as they have not been exposed to opposing views. That combined with the Anti Arab/Muslim US media will lead the Americans to hate Arabs and Muslims because they are only aware of one side of the story. Like I said they are greatly misinformed, and it is not our job to go and shove what's really going in front of their faces. And this arrogance displayed by America does make it extremely difficult to sympathise with them.

I think it take an american more effort to love muslims or arab than hating them and vice versa

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:
I think it take an american more effort to love muslims or arab than hating them and vice versa

however whats interesting ya dajjal in egypt is that egyptian generally seem to not care much about news i mean here ppl tend to love forigners as long as they r not jisraili

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carleen:
[b] Dajjal, you & your ilk are determined to believe that all Americans hate you, despite all my words to the contrary. So fine, have at it. Think what you like. I know believing all Americans hate you makes it easier for you to hate us, which is really the issue here.

What just because you stated it makes it correct? If you also told me the moon was made of cheese, do you also expect me to accept that as the truth? I don't really care about your words unless you have at least some evidence to back up what your saying. And from what I have observed from personal experience I can securely say your living in a delusional America of your own, and not the true America we know of. Of course then again an easier way of avoiding the issue is just to not to tackle the problems at it's roots and claim it is 'us' who hate Americans.
You remind of Bush when he said "They are either with us, or against us", yet I was neither with him, and didn't support terrorism. You will find in the real world Carleen that answers to a problem are not usually limited to two options. Just because I disagree with you, it does not mean I am automatically inclined to hate you.

[This message has been edited by dajjal supreme (edited 21 June 2004).][/B][/QUOTE]

Where is your evidence? Quote from Bush?

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dajjal supreme
Member # 4381

Rate Member
He said that directly after 9/11, anyone who watched the news during that period would be fully aware of that statement he made. Having to quote that is like having to quote Shakespeare for 'To be or not to be'.
dajjal supreme
Member # 4381

Rate Member
Well Troubles I think the hate would stem from those who are directly affected by American policies like Iraqi's, Palestinians and Saudi's. The other Arabs may disapprove and not be to fond of the Americans but I doubt they would hate them. Yet I can't say the same for the US military, as I for one want them to leave this region as they have brought nothing but wreak havoc. And I don't want to hear the crap about those were only a few soldiers, because most of the events that occured there aren't usually reported. It is very sickening.

Mokoo
Member # 4576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mokoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world".

Oh my!!! where did u get this from...check these links out...

http://www.alwatan.com.kw/default.aspx?page=1&topic=137290
http://www.aljazeera.net/programs/shareea/articles/2000/12/12-12-6.htm

[This message has been edited by Mokoo (edited 22 June 2004).]

Posts: 195 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at least it is the fastest growing relgion in North america after 9/11 and that is a fact!
Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mokoo
Member # 4576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mokoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I stated what I think...I had preferences...proves...It's easy to say anything...it's hard to prove it...I had my proves...what proves your "fact"???....

quote:
Originally posted by BahYBasha:
at least it is the fastest growing relgion in North america after 9/11 and that is a fact!

Posts: 195 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the fastest growing religion in Great Britain too - and that is not just through immigration - according to the official statistics. (The Government here produce statistics on absolutely eveything).
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!! it's not agame guys.it's faith and everyone makes his/her own mind the way he/she likes.fastest growing doesno't mean truth .I love my faith and will stick to Islam even if i become the only muslim on earth and dont care about those statics really. some join islam to marry man,some to be polygamous and some coz they hate there other faith and some coz his or her friends are good to him and some coz its the truth. many claim to be muuslims and they do nothing related to islam only raise the number of muslims...no big deal guys .
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with troubles. I am not really impressed with those statistics. I am Muslim because I like being a Muslim and I don't care if only a handfull of other people approved of my religion (those who hate me for my religion can go **** themselves). And Moko, just because you opted out of Islam doesn't mean everyone else should, and the fact that you are trying to invalidate a very commonly disemminated statistic is proof enough that you are in constant need to justify your decision.
Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
This is true. Most Americans couldn't find Iraq or Afghanistan on a map. Most Americans could care less about affairs outside the USA. This doesn't mean we hate other countries or anything. We just are a bit arrogant, self-centered, and isolated from the rest of the world.

There is also a lot of anti-Arab sentiment in the US since 9/11/2001. The tragic killings of American civilians in Iraq and Saudi Arabia hasn't helped to improve American opinions of the Arab world. I hope all this will come to pass very soon and the US will find friends in the Middle East like we've had in the past. It can happen.

About the "self-centered" and "arrogance" part, you can say that again. But besides that, most Americans have good nature and are well meaning folks. It is the U.S. governments who have played a pivotal role in creating hostile reactions to America, because of their foreign policies. Most Americans don't follow this aspect of their governments too much until something as tragic as 9/11 happens; they tend to focus more on domestic policies. This is now changing. Unfortunately there is anti-Arab sentiment here, just as there is ant-American sentiment in certain parts of the world. What those terrorists did was completely unjustifiable. Equally so, is the backlash which involved the murder of individuals perceived to be from Middle East. Those people targeted were particularly those who wore their traditional clothes or head turbans. A lot those people weren't even Arabs; some were from India. What many failed to see was that those who allegedly committed that horrible act, were actually dressed up as everyday people, and most of them had shaved faces, unlike the stereotypical view of Arabs! So this backlash doesn't help a bit. I too hope that this will come to pass, and people will be able make the distinction between their real enemies and innocent people.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mokoo
Member # 4576

Rate Member
Kimo I was never a muslim...and I'm not in constant need to justify any decisions because thank god I didn't have to make them, but think about it...most people who get in Islam don't even speak arabic, most of them never read the full Qura'an and A7adeeth...I'm not against the religion, I'm against ignornace.

quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
I agree with troubles. I am not really impressed with those statistics. I am Muslim because I like being a Muslim and I don't care if only a handfull of other people approved of my religion (those who hate me for my religion can go **** themselves). And Moko, just because you opted out of Islam doesn't mean everyone else should, and the fact that you are trying to invalidate a very commonly disemminated statistic is proof enough that you are in constant need to justify your decision.

cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Canadian perspective.
I've never written this down before.

9/11. The Day.
I had been up all night preparing a shipment, and the tv was on as background noise. (I live in my studio.) Canadian news is mostly international in the early morning broadcasts. Thus, the tube was on for the very first reports.

When it happened, it seemed as though I went numb. I didn't ... The emotions were simply too profound and too contradictory. I remember the (erroneous) American premise of never being attacked on their home land, of being impregnible, passed through my mind - with a modicom of jaded humour. As did the knowledge that the New Yorkers would not be able to handle the horror - because this was something so alien to their experience, too great a shock to the structure of their national dogma. Which had to be in part the point of the attack, or so I felt. I was able to empathize somewhat with the minds of the terrorists, for after all, those who live by "an eye for an eye" must be willing to forfeit their own. I could also comprehend the elation of the mouse who causes the elephant to stumble. It is possible to comprehend the feeling of another without concurring that their actions are correct. Conflicting.

All this, while simultaneously, tears ran down my face, bile filled my throat, and my stomach grew cold at the blood and the death and the chaos.

I also felt immediate fear for the manner in which the Americans would retaliate - and how all of this would affect *everything*. The analogy of an elephant and Bush is a good one. Raging elephants obliviously destroy everything in their path.

When the fine metals supplier opened, I had the presence of mind to spend every last penny on gold stock so that the business could survive - because they use the stock market prices from the close of the prior day.

9/11 - Strongest Memory of That Week.
Keeping my Raks Sharki teacher calm. He's an old Lebanese man who had the misfortune of naming his school "Alkhaima" (which sounds a little like "Alkeida") and whose wife was in Lebanon when it happened.

Poor Colleen. The problem with myopia is one cannot see that they are myopic precisely because they are myopic. The Canadian news station was quickly buried in emails by Americans thanking Canada for their full, uncensored reporting. And the Canadian show "Counter-Spin" became incredibly popular.

I worked full time at the Toronto Disarmament Network during the 1st Gulf War. During the lead-up to that war, I was visiting a friend in Germany, and letting her translate the news for me every night. They were talking sanctions. They were councilling their population to boycot their own German companies that continued to handle contracts with Iraq. They would scroll the company names down the screen every night.
I flew home to Toronto in mid-August. And it was as though I had jumped planets, not merely continents. There was no mention of sanctions on the American news, no scrolling list of American companies continuing to profit through Iraqi contracts... only endless butch updates on the latest American war planes.

To say that this war was about oil is almost - but not quite - on the mark. Bush tore up the agreements to keep the Arctic pristine, and they will be drilling there. This war was more subtle - it was about the *currency* of oil. If the main currency of oil became the euro, the dollar would cease to become the dominant currency. The American debt would have to be repaid. Think about it.

I am so sorry for all the pain. I wish I had the answers. I don't.

[This message has been edited by cassia (edited 23 June 2004).]

Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jews have their hand up America's a$$ so far that they can publicly pass bills to limit free speech against Israel. Right know there is a bill in the Senate that limits Americans consitutional rights. Jews are doing their best also to censor American college campus against any Israel talks.

Israel is one of the most racist places in the world if you are a Arab Israeli, a black Falasha Jews,a ethnic Jew[Sephardi,Yemani etc],and just an Arab Israeli citizen. Not to mention that America literally walked out during the Durban southern African conference on racism.

The Zionist controll America without a doubt.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
The Zionist controll America without a doubt.

Perhaps. But if Arab countries could stop squabbling among themselves long enough to effectively organize, they could easily wield as much clout. In real terms, we need Saudi Arabia FAR more than we need Israel.

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cassia:
(The Canadian prime minister who signed the free trade agreement is considered a national traitor by many in Canada.)

I mentioned in my earlier post that I was scheduled to go to Paris 2 days after 9/11. Well, I went the next week, and during the trip met a really cool lady from Canada. At some point NAFTA and US-Canada relations in general came up, and that was the first time I realized there was any animosity between the two countries. I was really saddened by that, like some of your words made me feel just now.

cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blimy that was fast!!!
I edited folks, though likely not in a less inflamatory manner.

Colleen, I vacation every summer in New York State, and have relatives in San Fransisco and L.A. So I'm very fond of many Americans, honest!

But the fact that the American public is so unaware of Canada's issues illustrates the degree of censorship on CNN. These issues are on our TV daily.
The Free Trade Agreement is fundamentally flawed. The Traitor Mulroney (who took a job in New York the nano-second he was voted out of office) allowed one tiny fine print clause. Canada is not allowed to tear up the agreement, even in an attempt to correct its inherent inequalities, if U.S. chooses to veto the attempt. This is exactly like a wife who isn't allowed to divorce her abusive husband without his permission.
The myriad problems and the amount of angst don't belong on an Egyptian web site though ...
I don't mean to upset or antagonize.
Peace.

Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
oops, duplicate.

[This message has been edited by cassia (edited 23 June 2004).]

Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by cassia:
But the fact that the American public is so unaware of Canada's issues illustrates the degree of censorship on CNN. These issues are on our TV daily.

Yes, you are exactly right, and that's what I try so hard to make non-Americans understand. It's not that Americans inherently evil & hateful - we just aren't presented with the news & issues with respect to foreign policy that those on the "short-end of the stick" are.

And it's "Carleen".

wills76
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wills76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know where I was when 9/11 happend I was in Luxor.
Posts: 127 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Welcome Wills, I was there too.
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im crying as im reading your comments... not for the people who died but of rage and anger about how 911 unfolded in a way that changed my life. Picture this:
sept 11 2001, im 20 yrs old, 2nd yr in University (BA cultural anthropology, political sc). I was sleeping when it happened. woke up an hour later to go to my international politics. class. It took me a full day to realise it was, indeed, terrorist attack. Heard about it all day but it really hit me when i saw the video on the news latter that night.
Sept. 9 2002. Benjamin Netanyahu comes to give a speech at Concordia University, Montreal Canada (my U). We made Al-Jazeera network when he was prevented to speak because a "riot" took place in the street to oppose him (20% of Concordia students are arabs or muslim). I knew nothing about Israel/Palestine, not even who came first or the basics of the conflict but learnt it all the hard way that year. the admin of concordia (con u) expelled about 20 Arabs without due process, many of whom were deported. many of them were close friends of mine. Total backlash against Arabs. My school made the local headlines almost every week for a yr. The admin officially described itself as Zionist and an institution in which pro-palestinian activism has no room since so many donors are Jewish. more racist comments from con u rector here: http://www.safs.ca/sept2003/defending.html
So much racist crap happening, incredible...
Then it hit me more than i ever thought possible on June 10 2004, the day I received my diploma from Con U. How great, I received the Lieutenant Governors Award for my social involvement (one per year per institution to a graduating student). sounds great doesnt it? Con U sent journalists to interview me and take pictures. (now it gets dirty) we came to discuss my honours thesis in anthropology (1 yr class) which i wrote on Racism at Con U. Obvioulsy the article was never published. They did not even mention my name or the medal anywhere, in any of their publication. They also "forgot" to invite me to the parliament for the official ceremony where the award was handed by the Lt Gov. ON the day of the convocation, I find out that the other 6 students who got another medal were all invited to have dinner with the Governor General of Canada, Adrienne Clarkson (the Queen representative). ironically, i received my invitation the day after the dinner, Express post...instead of 2 weeks before, regular mail... When i walked on stage to get my diploma, they didnt mention the medal like they did for the others.

you will say, well, this is not discrimination they cant do that because of what you said in an interview.
Thats also what I thought, but all this isnt coincidende. impossible. They are silencing my words and even my name because im a pro-palestinian activist at school. I never thought that my opinions would bother someone so much one day.
And I cry even more because in a way I choose to put myself in this situation, by wearing the Keffieh, by speaking out. But my arab friends dont have that luxury; they cant put their keffieh in their bag and 'blend in' when they need/want to. COncordia is disgusting. I have hundreds of story worse than mine and all that since 911.
I will be happy to send a copy of my thesis on racism at Con U to anybody interested.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, maybe you dont see the link between my story and 911. for me its clear: the backlash against arabs at con u started with 911 and intensified on its first anniversary, with netanyahu's (non)speech. Those events shaped the political and social scene at con u and marked my politicisation and my awareness about Middle-East issues. It had direct consequences on my life and on those of my friends.
Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last thing... summary of an article in a french newspaper in montreal, by pierre foglia:
"-the building literally fell on her head, it was shortly before 10 am.
- no no, it was shortly after 9 am.
-13 000 people died, its awful.
-no, wasnt it around 3000?
-what was the worse human tragedy in 2001, does anybody remember? It was an earthquake in India in January 2001. 13 000 people died. I guess some people are more Dead than others."

Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anti-Arab/Muslim backlash returns to the US

quote:

Beheadings fuel fresh backlash against Muslims
Saturday, June 26, 2004 Posted: 8:35 PM EDT (0035 GMT)

EAGLESWOOD TOWNSHIP, New Jersey (AP) -- The recent beheadings of two Americans in the Middle East have added fuel to the angry backlash against Arab-Americans and Muslims that began after the 2001 terrorist attacks.

The murders of Paul Johnson and Nicholas Berg triggered hate mail, verbal attacks and anti-Muslim signs. Muslims received death threats and their mosques were vandalized.

"Since 9/11, every time there is an incident overseas attributed to Muslims or Arabs, we go on orange alert ourselves," said immigration lawyer Sohail Mohammed.

"There are individuals here who are off the wall, who think that every woman who wears a hijab or every man named Mohammed is out to blow things up."

Al-Qaida-linked militants in Saudi Arabia decapitated Johnson, an American engineer, after warning that they would kill him if the Saudi government did not release jailed comrades. Berg, a businessman, met a similar fate last month in Iraq.

Following Johnson's death, anti-Islam signs surfaced around the rural New Jersey neighborhood where he once lived. One read "Stamp Out Islam" next to a drawing of a boot over a crescent and star. Another, hung on a mailbox next door to Johnson's sister's home, was more detailed.

"Last night I wasn't a racist, but today I feel racism towards Islamic beliefs," it read. "Last night Islamics had a chance to speak up for Paul Johnson, but today it's too late. Islamics better wake up and start thinking about tomorrow."

The New Jersey attorney general sent bias crimes investigators to the area, along with stepped-up state police patrols. The signs are gone now, replaced with hand-lettered placards on utility poles that say "Our prayers are with the Johnson family."

But more anti-Muslim graffiti appeared Thursday on a Muslim man's home in Egg Harbor Township.

"It's really our fear coming true," said Faiza Ali of the New Jersey chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations. "It indicates a hatred that could turn into something violent."

Relatives of Johnson, in a statement made through a church pastor after a memorial service Saturday, said that they hope his legacy is one of peace in the land he grew to love during more than a decade abroad.

"When history is written on the war on terrorism, let Paul's death be the catalyst that led to thousands more Westerners working in harmony with people in the Middle East to ensure fear and barbaric acts against free peoples come to an end," the Rev. Kyle Huber of Greentree Church said.

The day after Johnson's death, a coalition of Muslim groups held a rally to condemn the killing in Paterson, the heart of New Jersey's Arab-American community.

A few days later, vandals tossed empty liquor and beer bottles at a mosque in Union City as congregants inside mourned a teenager who died in a car crash.

"If they are throwing empty bottles today, they could be throwing rocks, or worse, shooting at us tomorrow," said Aref Assaf, president of the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee's New Jersey chapter.

Two mosques in Florida were vandalized in the days after Johnson's killing. In the Tampa suburb of Lutz, someone broke into the Islamic Community Center and scrawled "Kill All Muslims" on the mosque's interior walls, then smashed windows. In Charlotte Harbor, someone vandalized a mosque's sign and left threatening phone messages.

In the St. Louis suburb of Ballwin, Missouri, vandals painted a swastika and the word "Die" on the wall of the Dar-Ul-Islam mosque.

In Texas, dead fish were dumped near the entrance sign to a mosque under construction in a suburb of Houston.

And in the Chicago suburb of Orland Park, residents urged officials this past week to reject a mosque's building application. A Baptist pastor told a public hearing he feared it would attract Islamic extremists and violence. The center was approved over boos and catcalls from the audience.

"I believe the time is coming when Muslims will not be safe inside the U.S. borders," one man wrote to the Washington, D.C.-based Council on American-Islamic Relations. "I see nothing wrong with us doing the same things to them that they are doing to innocent people."

"It is high time you people wake up and smell the blood," another man wrote to Assaf's group in New Jersey. "Turn in the terrorists. They are your relatives, in a lot of cases. Cousin Omar. Uncle Mohammad. You know what I mean. Until you come forward to help us stamp out this vermin, you are as bad as they."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/06/26/beheading.backlash.ap/index.html

Posts: 338 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
annie_81, ur story touched me and i really feel for u and i could imagine the feeling that u r going thru, the feeling of injustice is the worest feeling u ever could go thru. I also live in canada and i had heard similar stories that make me sick.

Anyways, after sept 11, the jewish society in western univ (london,canada) was spreading fliers to the univ student which was full of hate and accusations against arabs and claiming we are the biggest threat to the world peace,etc. and the univ admin did nothing about it.

also here in dalhousie univ, they invited irshad manji (lesbain) the author of the book "trouble of islam" so that it can speak to the muslim and arab student of the univ to solve our porblems . from when was the jew interested in solving our problems, they just invited her to provok us, nothing more or less. Her book is full of insults to our religion from its introduction to the last page. They cant leave us alone.

This is one of the lessons u can learn from life "life isnt always fair". With the help from ppl like u, we can make the world a better place to live without racism.

[This message has been edited by BahYBasha (edited 27 June 2004).]

Posts: 180 | From: halifax, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elmagnoon
Member # 4199

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for elmagnoon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
I will be happy to send a copy of my thesis on racism at Con U to anybody interested.

Start a new thread and post the whole thing, I will be the first to read it.

Posts: 343 | From: Magnoon Land | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undead
Member # 3380

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Saudis own about 8% of America according to Farenheit 911. I think that European and American Jews might have that beat. However an interesting point has been made by some elder US statesmen that I know personally : America will always support colonial imperialist governments because that is how the USA was born. A bunch of Europeans invaded and slaughtered the native population of a place they had no business being. Just like the Afrikaaners and the Israelis. The US supported apartheid in South Africa because up until 40 years ago there was Apartheid in the US. Now that Apartheid is the standard in Israel do these old timers in the US that grew up during segregation really care? Texas fought civil rights progress as hard as anyone in South Africa did, and Texas is where a good deal of the US policy makers hail from currently. If the US condemned Israel they would have to eventually revisit that the US is built upon the very same thing, and I don't believe that these GOP families that have been in politics for 60+ years really minded segregation or American apartheid one bit, otherwise the black Americans would not have had to fight so hard for civil rights. It is an old legacy of hatred that goes beyond the Jews. The Jews may be just the shock troops for the GOP true colors. Who owns the remaining MAJORITY of the US, far beyond the Jews, the Saudis, and the Far East Asians? That is who weilds the true power, and they like the way things are going.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
elmagnoon,
I would be happy to start a new trend but my thesis is 50 pgs long so I cannot post it here. Unless you can help me put it on a website where people can download it.

brian04
Member # 3553

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brian04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Undead:
The Saudis own about 8% of America according to Farenheit 911. I think that European and American Jews might have that beat. However an interesting point has been made by some elder US statesmen that I know personally : America will always support colonial imperialist governments because that is how the USA was born. A bunch of Europeans invaded and slaughtered the native population of a place they had no business being. Just like the Afrikaaners and the Israelis. The US supported apartheid in South Africa because up until 40 years ago there was Apartheid in the US. Now that Apartheid is the standard in Israel do these old timers in the US that grew up during segregation really care? Texas fought civil rights progress as hard as anyone in South Africa did, and Texas is where a good deal of the US policy makers hail from currently. If the US condemned Israel they would have to eventually revisit that the US is built upon the very same thing, and I don't believe that these GOP families that have been in politics for 60+ years really minded segregation or American apartheid one bit, otherwise the black Americans would not have had to fight so hard for civil rights. It is an old legacy of hatred that goes beyond the Jews. The Jews may be just the shock troops for the GOP true colors. Who owns the remaining MAJORITY of the US, far beyond the Jews, the Saudis, and the Far East Asians? That is who weilds the true power, and they like the way things are going.

couldn't agree with u more....
good points

salam,
brian

Posts: 432 | From: China | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brian04
Member # 3553

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brian04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like 9/11 happens everyday.....

brian

Posts: 432 | From: China | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cappa
Member # 4926

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cappa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YA BASHA
Posts: 135 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cappa
Member # 4926

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cappa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YA BASHA
how are those pics and propoganda the same?? there are thousands of pics also of ppl jumping from a hundredth floor or burnin to death, avg ppl, non military,women and children also...this is war sprunged on by 9/11.
if u don't see the difference then i feel sad for u..even to the link that u posted yourself.. military soldiers dealing with war psyche versus. burnin up american civilianzs and hangin their body in humanly...definetly not the same.....there is anger in both and nothin makes either completely right...but there is a difference between fighting dirty and killing 5000+ civilians in the name of god!!

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Undead:
Just like the Afrikaaners and the Israelis. The US supported apartheid in South Africa because up until 40 years ago there was Apartheid in the US. .

Dont forget how the introduced drugs to the locals...with the intent of pushing them to destroy themsleves....kind of like an ethnic cleansing.Ever wondered who introduced and supplied the drugs to South Africa in the first place?...

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahYBasha
Member # 4522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BahYBasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cappa:

killing 5000+ civilians in the name of god!!

It was between 2800-3000 civilians!
5000+ is what i call the **** up propoganda that brainwash ppl like u :P.
thank you for proving my point!

cappa
Member # 4926

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by BahYBasha:
It was between 2800-3000 civilians!
5000+ is what i call the **** up propoganda that brainwash ppl like u :P.
thank you for proving my point!

i din't realize that statistics were gonna be the only thing u objected to.., the actual number is 2,998 to be exact...not counting the thousands of ppl affected..so maybe the death of those specific 2,998 civilians can be justified in the name of god!!

cappa
Member # 4926

Rate Member
ALLRIGHTY THEN...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com