EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Where to find good choice of furniture in Cairo? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where to find good choice of furniture in Cairo?
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah Mango home!!! How fabulous. I will have to get a bigger home!

Zara Home is in City Stars [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cheekyferret

I enjoy reading your posts and sometimes wonder if we are living in the same Cairo ..... lol.

I want to buy some furniture but I am finding it very frustrating to say the least. Went down to Mffco Helwan yesterday and was just astounded at how cheap and badly made the stuff was. The designs were just atrocious and actually hurt my eyes it was so ugly. Prices way too high for the crappy quality.

Then a quick death dodge across Pyramids Road to Habitat. Better quality, but wow, their prices are just crazy high. I didn't see anything I liked under 12,000le.

Cheeky, I'm begging you, I need the number of the guy who makes your furniture. I would also love your curtain makers number too ! My last attempt at having curtains made from Wikala, took me 4 months to get them and that was after having to get consumer affairs dept involved.

Thanks for the Pinocchio link Dalia. Just fell in love with a bed on the website but it is 10,000 LE.

Has anyone shopped at the Bahgat group recently ? That is my next try. Just looked at the site and it looks expensive.

And just a tip to anyone looking to buy electrical items, steer away from Spinneys. I have just spent the last 4 weeks in a total nightmare just because I was stupid enough to buy a washing machine there. Terrible in-house customer service and nonexistent after sales service.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dexter... I can get the carpenters number from my mum no probs but the curtain guy is just down a side street in Korba... we just walked in with the measurements, told him what we wanted and that was that.

There are so many furniture shops I cannot see how people struggle to find anything.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many shops.. so little furniture, Cheeky [Smile] . Lots of furniture that costs too much compared to quality. Or even costs little, but still no quality. I already moaned here about that Shatex sofa in Citystars for 10 000 LE, looking exactly like the one I now got from the carpenter for half less, except the Shatex one was full foam and plastic straps. Where in Europe do you pay 10 000 LE for an essentially simple "my first home" type of foam-filled corner set? At IKEA you pay 2-3-4000 LE, I think.

Back at home I was planning to buy one of those:
http://www.tetrad.co.uk/english/styles.asp

but here the nearest place they deliver to is Beirut and god knows the taxes that would be added etc.

If you live inside Cairo and have no kids and move around a lot, you probably see a lot so you know where to head, should you need anything.
But if you go to Cairo perhaps once in 2 months, like us here, or mostly just go from your house to nearest playground and back, or are a newly arrived, then when you need something, Cairo is like a huge haysack - it most certainly exists there somewhere.. but where??
Plus that usually you can "do" only one part of town at a time because moving to another part takes too much time if you also need to be back at home the same day [Smile] .

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Perhaps I just travel around too much and see more than most...
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps then start making mental notes for that "Cairo for Newbies" booklet you will later issue... [Wink] .
Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Kian, Istikbal, In & Out, Omar Offendi, Habitat, Royal House... 5 from the top of my head that I can browse in in Cairo.

People have commented they don't like quality of some stores, the prices, the location of stores...

What more can we do lol... the title of the thread is asking about furniture stores in Cairo after all.

Even newbies will see all the furniture shop fronts on main roads if they look.

http://www.yellowpages.com.eg/profile/NTQ5NDQ=/Bahgat-Stores.html

For more furniture stores you can even look at the local Yellow Pages. (links down the left side of the page)

NM, your 'Cairo for Newbies' would have to put all prices, quality and locations to give an in depth view. And then you would have to detail all items individually and even then it won't be enough.

I hunted for a clothes rail and found one... it wasn't a mission but it wasn't easy but after looking in only around 5 stores I got what I wanted.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dexter:
Hi Cheekyferret

I enjoy reading your posts and sometimes wonder if we are living in the same Cairo ..... lol.

I want to buy some furniture but I am finding it very frustrating to say the least. Went down to Mffco Helwan yesterday and was just astounded at how cheap and badly made the stuff was. The designs were just atrocious and actually hurt my eyes it was so ugly. Prices way too high for the crappy quality.

Then a quick death dodge across Pyramids Road to Habitat. Better quality, but wow, their prices are just crazy high. I didn't see anything I liked under 12,000le.

Cheeky, I'm begging you, I need the number of the guy who makes your furniture. I would also love your curtain makers number too ! My last attempt at having curtains made from Wikala, took me 4 months to get them and that was after having to get consumer affairs dept involved.

Thanks for the Pinocchio link Dalia. Just fell in love with a bed on the website but it is 10,000 LE.

Has anyone shopped at the Bahgat group recently ? That is my next try. Just looked at the site and it looks expensive.

And just a tip to anyone looking to buy electrical items, steer away from Spinneys. I have just spent the last 4 weeks in a total nightmare just because I was stupid enough to buy a washing machine there. Terrible in-house customer service and nonexistent after sales service.

...and donīt even talk about those gleeming golden elaborate Egyptian furniture that it hurts your eyes to look at them!!!!
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
quote:
Hi Cheekyferret

...and donīt even talk about those gleeming golden elaborate Egyptian furniture that it hurts your eyes to look at them!!!!
Or people could just wait till IKEA opens... that is modern, cheap and although the quality sucks it can be replaced real easily if needs be.
nevermind
Member # 6674

The problem is not the addresses, CF, but that you have absolutely no clue what all those shops offer. And Cairo being so big and there are indeed so many stores - how much of one's life-time exactly do you think anyone wishes to spend on touring them, for sofa-hunting.
I have a whole "Guide to Cairo shopping" or something but it is nearly useless because there are no comments. There is a price level but it helps me little to know that some shop is extra exp or some is extra cheap, if I do not know what styles they have.

In Sharm in that MIX guide they had a quite handy overview of the more practical shops, with a short comment of 1-2 sentences. Though pics are even better [Smile] . IKEA I hate, it's like Scandinavian office furniture - bleak and lifeless. Or shool furniture. But I do not hate people who love IKEA [Smile] guess if you grow up all surrounded by Edwardian furniture, or then that Louis XXX, it may feel very refreshing. My version of cheap furnishing is rattan or wicker - also cheap, and I kind of never tire [Smile] . Or if tire then paint in some crazy colour and move to the terrace or bedroom.

Muhaajira
Member # 11681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muhaajira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CF

Can you give me a landmark or street name for the curtain place in Korba?

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Muhaajira:
CF

Can you give me a landmark or street name for the curtain place in Korba?

Sure, behind the Basilica, there are lots of material shops with guys running sewing machines.

NM, a guide only guides you. Plus stock, prices, suppliers and quality can change...

Look how rubbish the Lonely Planet is [Wink]

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Cheekyferret

Hmmmmm I have bought furniture from both In and Out ( fantastic quality will last a lifetime stuff) and Habitat also very good quality

e.g
IN and OUT:-
Huge 4 seater sofa and smaller 3 seater sofa LE6,950

Large solid wood round table and six chairs and glass top LE 5,340

Bedroom suite....6ft bed, 2 double wadrobes, 2 bedside tables and dressing table LE 5,950

Habitat:-

3 seater sofa and large rocking chair LE 4,000

6 ft bed and headboard Luxury LE 5,078

Normal 5 ft good quality bed and headboard
LE 2,650

Have had stuff made in the past as well but to be honest most of it was crap...looks good to start with but doesn't last with the exception of hand carved wooden items where you can see what you are getting.

I have found Egypt is be no different to anywhere else. You get what you pay for.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. Thanks Cheeky for the heads up on where the curtain makers are. I work in Korba so that is handy at least.

Penny, when did you buy your items ? I must admit I haven't been to an In and Out for about 3 years. it was the one in Maadi Carrfour. Wow, I found Habitat ridiculously expensive. The cheapest thing I could find that I sort of liked was a coffee table and that was around 3,000le.

I'm off to check out Nasr City Habitat and Bahgat Group tomorrow.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Walking around St Fatima in the week I noticed 3 furniture shops... I don't recall the names and I didn't stop to look but if you really do have time to just spend a day looking around almost any district you will find numerous places to browse.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. Thanks Cheeky for the heads up on where the curtain makers are. I work in Korba so that is handy at least.

Penny, when did you buy your items ? I must admit I haven't been to an In and Out for about 3 years. it was the one in Maadi Carrfour. Wow, I found Habitat ridiculously expensive. The cheapest thing I could find that I sort of liked was a coffee table and that was around 3,000le.

I'm off to check out Nasr City Habitat and Bahgat Group tomorrow.

All our purchases were in Alexandria, wonder if they have different prices in different areas? Our IN and Out does have good sales offers on as they seem to have a fast turnaround of stock to be able to fit new stuff coming into the shop. Its worth getting to know the manager and then they will ring you if something you like gets marked down....and you get a cup of tea when you visit [Smile]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Last Friday I spent hours in and out of all the stores in Makram El Ebeid Street.

In and Out had a few things, ok quality and not too expensive. Still didn't see anything I would actually want to spend my hard earned money on though.

After checking out the Bahgat Group website I really thought they were going to be where I could buy everything I wanted. The place was a dump, the furniture was crap and the prices were high.

American Furniture, good quality but prices way too high. Plain little side tables were around 3,500LE each.

I did however, in my travels, find a good place for hardwares like fancy door handles and those brush things for the bottom of the doors.

Al Arabi Home Accessories
18 Mansoura Street, Medan El Gaema
Tel: 2636 8761

Thanks Cheeky, I will check out Fatima Street next week. Any luck with your mum getting the carpenters phone number ? Sorry, I'm getting desperate. I want some furniture in my flat before Ramadan.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy fabric for making sheets and pillow cases ?

On the search for faux alligator/snake vinyl to upholster ottomans and storage boxes with ..... any ideas where I even begin to look for this stuff ?
http://www.jandofabrics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=vin00086

Thanks again

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Also, does anyone know where I can buy fabric for making sheets and pillow cases ?

At the wekalat al balah. Great place. [Smile]

You should be able to speak Arabic though, or take someone with you who does.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Oh and does anyone know a good upholsterer ? I had two tub chairs done last year and they look like they were covered by Frankenstein ! All the fabric is now full of holes, the trim has come unstuck and you need a tetanus shot before sitting on them because there are rusty nails sticking out everywhere.
Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Thanks Dalia

I actually go to Wekalat all the time for fabrics and have never noticed fabric for making sheets. Will have to have a closer look. I love those long pillows, but have so far been unable to buy a pillow slip which fits. They all seem to be much smaller than the pillow and it is a fight to get them on and off.

Any ideas on where to buy nice quality sheet sets ? I saw some in Carrefour and Spinneys but they seem quite expensive at around 450LE for a set of queen size. Or is this a decent price ?

Also looking for unfinished furniture. Thought that may be an option, but where to go ? I went down to Mohamad Ali St, but it is really bad quality, heinous designs, and the prices they were quoting were ridiculous.

Cushion inserts, how hard can they be to find ?????? I have made some cushion covers but now can't find any pillows to put inside them.

Just visited Taki furniture in Maadi between the roundabout and library. Tiny little shop with sleeping staff, high prices for rubbish. The search continues.

nevermind
Member # 6674

Any mattress shop here in Shebin sells cushions too. Taki did not sell them? Habitat matress shops sell them for sure - long, normal and sofa size. Even round ones, I think. All beauuutiful polyester [Big Grin] am almost getting used to it.

We get sheet cotton from a furniture fabric store, but in Cairo aren't the better shops for cotton actually some place near Attaba? Look at thi sone, it is from 2007 but maybe some parts still true as some of those shops never move from their locations that are worth gold for them [Smile]
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/cotton.htm

Wekalat is for more ornate fabrics, mainly. All bedsheet sets I've bought come a long pillowcase, too, should say 170-200 is a decent price for fine thread durable sets that also may have a nice embroidery if you search well (same colour or at least pretty tasteful). Syrian or Egyptian made.

And we have a shop here that sells cotton satin sheets, narrow ones I think for around 90LE. Maybe look in places like the Ramses Mall and Arkadia, that are more Egyptian than CFour but also a bit upmarket at the same time? Now I remember Hyper1 out on 26th July towards the 6th October City actually had a nice selection of bedcovers, the heavy cotton "couverta" for 90LE simple one-colour and 199LE more intricate patterned ones but nothing of the usual "baladi" Egyptian styles, quite refined designs actually. I'd assume they also have bedsheets but I did not look closely.

Nefertari sells beautiful all-white sets in their Zamalek boutique, but theirs are also around 400-500LE if remember correctly.
http://www.nefertaribodycare.com/towel.htm
but they do not show linens on website, I think someone else produces it for them.

Maleika Linens sells beauuutiful linen, I would recommend linen over cotton of course any time, esp. for summer. World of difference if you like a cool sleep. Have no idea about their prices though - their CAiro shop is at Beymen, and one is in El Gouna I think and one in London, on in Tokyo..... But they are then life-time I would assume.
http://www.malaikalinens.com/home.htm

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:

Wekalat is for more ornate fabrics, mainly.

I have found many simple fabrics there. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:

Maleika Linens sells beauuutiful linen, I would recommend linen over cotton of course any time, esp. for summer. World of difference if you like a cool sleep. Have no idea about their prices though

They are very expensive. Great quality though.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Just noticed this:
La Nuit, Baron Center, Maadi
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=57289754435

I remember I looked at their "Cherry" set in a shop here in Shebin, liked the linen (very fine, sheer) but not the embroidery so much [Smile] . Here they asked around 205LE for the sheet + pillowcases 5 pcs set.

nevermind
Member # 6674

Just to add a link I found freshly:

http://www.noknokgoodwood.com/modern_furniture_egypt_about.html

Germans producing modern furniture in Cairo. Attention those interested in that birch-y "IKEA"-look! [Big Grin]

jamesparker
Member # 18456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamesparker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I’m looking for a very designer like office chair. Can you guys help me?
I heard that CHARLES EAMES chair is the best option to go for and is available at STAPLES CORNER Stores. What do you say guys?

Posts: 3 | From: london | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com