EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egypt has a Middle Class ! Get it! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Egypt has a Middle Class ! Get it!
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
In Western society the personal values and behaviours from each person are being graded as classy and unclassy.

[Smile]

I think this fact caused a little confusion. People for whatever reason associate words with a certain definition. The fact is ‘class’ has several meaning but in this context (this discussion) especially when included with a social class it has nothing to do with the informal ‘classy’.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I saw a programme about a book called "The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid", by C.K. Prahalad.
This man had a rather unique view on poverty and second world countries.

"IF WE stop thinking of the poor as victims or as a burden and start recognising them as resilient and creative entrepreneurs and value-conscious consumers, a whole new world of opportunity will open up."

He is working for a multi-national, but at the same time, doesn`t keep his eyes closed for the ones who are in need.

When you like to read about it:
http://www.google.com/search?q=the+fortune+at+the+bottom+of+the+pyramids

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:
In Western society the personal values and behaviours from each person are being graded as classy and unclassy.

[Smile]

I think this fact caused a little confusion. People for whatever reason associate words with a certain definition. The fact is ‘class’ has several meaning but in this context (this discussion) especially when included with a social class it has nothing to do with the informal ‘classy’.

I think it has! Because that`s what we are talking about, the difference between the class rated by income/money and the class by behaviour.
For me "class" is part of personality. Like that example of throwing garbage out of the window from the expensive car.
Look at the people who have earned millions, what has made them part of a certain class, but still doesn`t know how to behave.
The singers, the footballplayers, criminals...

There seems to be a very thin line between the ones who are connected by money and I know for sure that those rich people for a great part don`t have high morals. And that`s in common the difference between old and new money. Not always, but often.

For example, an investigator once told me about the personal friendships between actors,singers,etc. and criminals, just because both have money. It is the result of the disappeared social classes...

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egyguy:
You guys there is a reason people like Sha3bollah are so popular now compared to a couple of decades ago where Abd Elhalim and the like were the norm!

I believe the reason for that lies in the fact that it was trendy for awhile among the elite in the Egyptian society to like this kind of "bee2a" music ...

Another example of that is someone like hakeem whose character and music lyrics would have never made him see the day of light among even the middle class in the 60s.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by American dream:
Would everyone forget this thread for a moment please and move over to the one titled. 'The US plan for the muslim world'. Then read the comments by MK and Auto. Do you choose to ignore their comments about how they felt about 9/11? How does this make you feel? Nobody wants to comment???

Keep your naive CNN-inspired propaganda campaign to discussions with your fellow "stupid americans" ... we here see the bigger picture.

Yes, over 3000 people lost their lives 9/11, but ten folds that number also did on any given day at the start of America's invasion of Iraq.

So yes, it is unfortunate … but irrelevant in the bigger scope of things.

Get a perspective … or a clue.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

[Smile]

I think it has! Because that`s what we are talking about, the difference between the class rated by income/money and the class by behaviour.
For me "class" is part of personality. Like that example of throwing garbage out of the window from the expensive car.
Look at the people who have earned millions, what has made them part of a certain class, but still doesn`t know how to behave.
The singers, the footballplayers, criminals...

There seems to be a very thin line between the ones who are connected by money and I know for sure that those rich people for a great part don`t have high morals. And that`s in common the difference between old and new money. Not always, but often.

For example, an investigator once told me about the personal friendships between actors,singers,etc. and criminals, just because both have money. It is the result of the disappeared social classes...

Women brushing their hair and putting make up on at the table in restaurants is another.
Allowing children to wander around the restaurant and sit on tables, climb and stand on chairs.
Shouting at each other and into cell phones whilst eating, therefore invading other diners space.
The complete absence of please and thank you to staff.
Dropping food on the floor and leaving it there.

just a few of the many unclassy things that the well off, wealthy, upper class, gold encrusted, Merc drivers do.

American Dream [Big Grin]
yes less is the new more

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the less is more thing, when I used to go to UAE. You would pass light fitting shops and need to wear dark glasses, the chandeliers were so in your face, same with furniture shops, full of gold ornate tables and chairs! It was blinding! But it showed that people thought gold meant wealth, wealth meant class, eh nope class is not bought. It is seen in the west too, a woman with a ton of jewellery on, is not classy, but a woman wearing a couple of expensive pieces, is understated and classy.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by American dream:
Would everyone forget this thread for a moment please and move over to the one titled. 'The US plan for the muslim world'. Then read the comments by MK and Auto. Do you choose to ignore their comments about how they felt about 9/11? How does this make you feel? Nobody wants to comment???

Did you really understand what I posted in there? And does it really come in one line with Auto's reply?

And why didn't you reply yourself?!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A fish called Jenny
Member # 13390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for A fish called Jenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MK, I really don't understand the above post. Try again, and I will give you an answer.
Posts: 95 | From: New York, New York, so good you have to say it twice! | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ No.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korven.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt ha all kind of classes, I myself am a whole class but the problem with egypt is that its classes are not in vertical position nor horizontal but oblique ...
Posts: 1167 | From: Homelandless | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen people more obsessed with 'class' (socioeconomic) in my life than in Egypt. I keep telling my husband, 'why do those people act like that, in the west "MOST" people who REALLY have anything don't flaunt it?'.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiselmonkey
Member # 13683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiselmonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I've never seen people more obsessed with 'class' (socioeconomic) in my life than in Egypt. I keep telling my husband, 'why do those people act like that, in the west "MOST" people who REALLY have anything don't flaunt it?'.

talking of personal wealth or possessions is vulgar [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 102 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The Peoplę         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
^^ No.

LOL
Posts: 194 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veronica ella
Member # 13434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veronica ella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please dont generalize,or speculate,as to the reasons behind the death,of are belovered princess.Dont believe every thing the media write,they say anything for a story.maybe it was an accident/maybe not,that is something we will never know for sure.Please dont state it was because of her love for EL Fayed.that is just speculation.Our royal family consists of many nationalities.Im proud to be BRITISH,and proud of our QUEEN,like her mother before her.PRINCESSES DIANA will never be foregotten,the BRITISH people loved her.she will live on in her son WILLIAM.for whome i hope will become king of ENGLAND one day.some of the most badly behaved people in our society today,are those with money.JOLLY HOCKEY STICKS AND ALL THAT rubbish.TO have respect for ones self,and to bring your children up with those same values .my daughters are very classy LADIES,my heart bursts with pride.
Posts: 126 | From: england | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chiselmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

talking of personal wealth or possessions is vulgar [Roll Eyes]
agreed [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com