EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Living in Cairo/Giza » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
salmanal
Member # 12626
 - posted
I am about to leave the USA to live in Egypt for about 6 months. I already speak enough Arabic to survive. Tell me, are the apartements as infested with insects as I've read in other forums? I live in Texas, they're almost a part of life here. Thanks in advance for the responses,

salman

mysticheart
Member # 6838
 - posted
the apartment i stayed in was very clean and no insects other than the occasional spider which was one in a month. Depends on the buildings upkeep and how clean you keep your apartment im sure

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
My ex lived in a building where the small kitchen had a little door which lead to a even more smaller inner backyard. If you would have trash you would put it there and the trash man would come and collect it. Sometimes I've seen cats going through the rubbish. The place smelled. The bathroom also had a window for ventilation facing the inner backyard. The appartment was one the groundfloor. Lots of problems - especially with cockroaches.

I've rented appartments, once a very well maintained one in Mohandseen, and the situation was much better. But still once in a while a cockroach would come crawling up. I don't remember having a problem with spiders. Mosquitos yes yes yes, get well prepared to fight them.

Oh but don't let these buggers bug you in Egypt, enjoy your stay in Cairo! [Smile]

cemilou
Member # 9227
 - posted
Hi,

I don't have problems with insects in general. But during the summer, put all of your food in the fridge cause ants are everywhere if U leave just a small piece of any food!!
I didn't see any spiders and as for cockroaches, I saw lots of them in a very well known reastaurant in Zamalek... not in my flat!
Emi

salmanal
Member # 12626
 - posted
Thanks so much for the responses on this. As I do in Texas, I make them unwelcome by running the vacuum daily, storing food in air tight containers or in the Fridge; and, most importantly, caulking openings near plumbing to keep them away from water. After all, they only live about a month without water; about 6 months without food.

Tigerlily
Member # 3567
 - posted
Good luck in fighting the bugs. But be aware that a lot of houses in Egypt are infact old with not well maintained pipe systems...... and you know these creatures enjoy this kind of environment.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com