EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Ants » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Shanta Qadeema
Member # 9889
 - posted
Does anyone else feel guilty about killing these wonderful little organic vacuum cleaners?

I was out all day and when I got home tonight there were ants all over the kitchen floor carting off the cats' food.

I do admire these little creatures and I marvel at the way they get rid of any kind of organic rubbish, but I don't really want them all over my kitchen!

I squirted Raid all over them and hated myself. I was wondering if I can lay a trail of something to get them out of the flat?

Also, I was wondering (and yes I know I can google this but I'm SOOOO TIIRREEDDD) if they have nests and if they can do structural damage?

cheekyferret
Member # 15263
 - posted
I was taught to put a chalk line at the point they come and go as ants will not walk over chalk.

Also a bowl of sugar water will keep them happy all summer if you put it where you want to keep them as they will have all they need...

Not sure about damage and I can't be bothered to google either! sorry SQ [Frown]

I don't mind small ants .. or normal ants as I refer them as and I won't kill them as I love to watch how they work with aphids and their whole way of working is amazing...

Big ants and fire ants freak me out! Ever come into contact with a pissed off fire ant?... yikes!

Makbeta
Member # 14401
 - posted
I once scared ants away with baking powder - and no qualms about it! [Wink]

With a name like Smuckers
Member # 10289
 - posted
very hot spicy chili powder ~

miffmiss
Member # 14978
 - posted
My granny used to have ants all over her house and she tried alsorts. I loved to watch them too till i found them walking over my bed to get to my midnight snacks.

jean_bean
Member # 13715
 - posted
the kind of ants that do structural damage would be going after wood, and since they don't build with wood here (structure), that would be safe.
But these ants are after food, and not into wood, from the sounds of it.

Pink cherry
Member # 13979
 - posted
If you can find the nest.....and there will be one, I always pour boiling water on it.

I have no remorse in stamping on them when They visit my home.

I have sprayed ant killer just outside the main door, and that appears to have given them the idea that they are not welcome. [Mad]

chantlove
Member # 14871
 - posted
dunno where the nest either, i had same problem in my kitchen - after the rice incident, i read somewhere that sprig of mint leaves will discourage them to come. I put it near the sugar and the rice jar - they seem to stop coming. IMO any creatures are not enemy to be killed so long as they dont interfere in my daily neccesities e.g ate my food, some of them even nesting in the small pile of my dirty laundry - i promptly blamed hubby's boxer (eeeuuugh yikes) [Big Grin]

Dzosser
Member # 9572
 - posted
Those little mother f--kers sting real good [Eek!] I sprinkle that powder from super markets and they're gone for a while..when on food like cake,honey,sugar and stuff,just dump the whole thing into the freezer for 5 mins.then guess what? they're frozen and easy to blow off any surface [Big Grin] I hate ants [Mad]

chantlove
Member # 14871
 - posted
lol, sometimes they left their bits (i dunno what it is) tiny white things - i always thought it was their left over [Big Grin]

satanmademedoit
Member # 11766
 - posted
Contact the CSA in Maadi.
They had an environmental day where they were advising using used coffee beans which apparently ants won't go near.
I tried it but my kitties made such a mess with it.

Samia
Member # 4691
 - posted
When I lived in Egypt I hated the very tiny ants..... they bite like crazy!!! The bigger ones didn't bother me too much...but those small ones.... [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com