EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Awareness Campaign For Women

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awareness Campaign For Women
Nicole20
Member # 8703

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,
As all women on this site know, there is a mjor problem here in egypt with the treatment of women in public places. On a personal note, i have been living here for 4 months and it is driving me crazy, i cant go out on the street without becomming extremely angry. Just last week my husabnd beat a guy in Talat Harb for touching my arse-the nerve!! (the guy not my husband) I know this harrassement is happenning to all girls in egypt, egyptian and foreigners. Anyway this is my point:

Some friends and I are starting an awareness campaign about this problem, which we very strongly feel must be controlled. Mys3elf and another girl are based here in Cairo and the third friend is living in New York and seeking supprot and funding from people. We have been trying to interview people about their experiences so we can use it as evidence for funding bodies as to the extent of the problem but we have not been very successful in getting responses.

I would like to ask people to email their experiences to me at nicole_leathem@yahoo.com.au

If you can include information about how long you have spent in egypt, the kinds of harrassment you have experienced, what areas you experienced it, how it makes you feel, what you tell other people about your experiences in egypt..especially foreigners thinkning about travelling here, how it effects your life here, ummm, and anything else you think is relevant...i will post more if i remember anything.

If anybody is interested in helping us with this we want to expand the number of people involved, espescially egytians who will understand a lot of do's and donts that maybe we cant understand.

If anybody had some ideas, please post whatever is going through your mind about this.

Cheers

Posts: 48 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole20
Member # 8703

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be great if guys also can respond to this and tell us about their feelings and exeriences of harassment towards their sisters, wives, girlfriends, mothers etc.

Posts: 48 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicole20:
It would be great if guys also can respond to this and tell us about their feelings and exeriences of harassment towards their sisters, wives, girlfriends, mothers etc.

Have a look at this recent thread where we went off topic about divorce and spoke a great deal about harrassment
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum2/HTML/007001.html

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi nicole, some of the girls here discussed this already on another thread. im egyptian but this is driving me nuts also, i just beat up a guy with my bag yesterday! i would like to join this campaign,i would do anything to see this stop. but do you want foreigners only?
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leila
Member # 8539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicole this sounds like a great idea and something Egypt is definitely in need of! but what do you mean by an awareness campaign? How does your group plan to change these attitudes?
Posts: 201 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey nicole, how are you? i'm marrying an australian and moving to austrlia inshallah in january. i would really like to ask you about a few things about australia. can you email me at yasminefathy@hotmail.com ? i would realy appreciate
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole20
Member # 8703

Rate Member
Hi there,

No we have only foreigners at the moment but we really want egyptians involved also as you can understand a lot of things about this culture that us foreigners cant, even if we try. For example in my country we would be free to use any form of media and can be completly blatent about how we address this issue but here, i dont think it will be acceptable. But we would love your help.

quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
hi nicole, some of the girls here discussed this already on another thread. im egyptian but this is driving me nuts also, i just beat up a guy with my bag yesterday! i would like to join this campaign,i would do anything to see this stop. but do you want foreigners only?

Nicole20
Member # 8703

Rate Member
Hi Leila.

We are only in the beginning phase at the moment. We are trying to get support from NGO's in Egypt at the moment and our friend Lyra is in the US trying to get funding. Our aim is to use different Media tool...initially posters and a documentary and from there, Newspapers, magazine and television. Lyra is a film maker and has a Masters in Human rights, Kristen is a Journalist and a friend of hers does photography. We have a lot of women who are interested in helping us with this and offering their skills. At the moment we are planning of taking the angle what these men are doing to girls on the street could be happening to their sisters, wives, mothers, girlfriends etc. People are very protective over their families here so we think this will be an effective approach. But first we need a report from people about what is happening to them to use as evidence for supporting NGOs. Then we hope to form a discussion group consisting of both egyptians and foreigners about the best ways to tackle this. But as i said we are in the initial stages.

Thank you for your interest.

quote:
Originally posted by Leila:
Nicole this sounds like a great idea and something Egypt is definitely in need of! but what do you mean by an awareness campaign? How does your group plan to change these attitudes?

Leila
Member # 8539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nicole i'd be happy to help out in any way i can.. i'll email you some of my 'experiences' in Egypt to help.

[This message has been edited by Leila (edited 06 September 2005).]

Posts: 201 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole20
Member # 8703

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Nicole20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your respsonses, keep em coming
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Women's Organisations
Egypt

Sorted alphabetically by name of organisation

Alliance for Arab Women
28 Adly Street, Apt 74-75
Cairo, Egypt
Tel: (202) 3939899
Fax: (202) 393 6820
E-mail: aaw@link.com.eg or Hbadran@idsc.gov.eg

Alliance for Arab Women
39 El Ansar Street
Dokki, Cairo, Egypt
Tel: (202) 3939899
Fax: (202) 393 6820
E-mail: aaw@link.com.eg or Hbadran@idsc.gov.eg

Arab Women And Value System
Arab Women Solidarity Association
25 Mourad St.
Giza, Egypt

Arab Women 's Solidarity Association (AWSA)
4A Dareed Saad Street, Kast El Ainy, Cairo.
Egypt
Network group.

Cairo Family Planning Association
50 Gomhoria Street
Cairo, Egypt

Center for Egyptian Civilization Studies
18, Saray el Guezireh, Apt. 7
Cairo Zamalek
Egypt

Egyptian Organisation for Human Rights
8/10 Mathaf El- Manial St. Manial Roda, Cairo.
Egypt
Fax: +3621613.
Campaigning for rights including women's rights.

Egyptian Women Association
4 El Awhady Street,
Menshiet El Bapri, Cairo
Egypt
Tel: (20 2) 83 5271
(Women, Research, Training)

The General Department of Women's Affairs
Ministry of Social Affairs
Mogama building, 4th Floor,
Tahrir Square
Cairo, Egypt
Telephone: 3543003
Fax: 3540261
Objectives: To formulate policies, plans and projects; To act as an implementing and follow-up machinery for these policies and plans; To co-operate with government and non-governmental organisations in all issues relating to women affairs. Languages: English, Arabic.

The Legal Research and Resource Center for Human Rights
7 Al Higaz Street, Roxi Heliopolis
Cairo, Egypt
T: 011-202-259-6622 ... F: 011-202-452-0977
Email: lrrc@frco.eun.eg

The National Council for Women
1113 Corniche El Nil, Tahrir
P.O. Box: 11625 Maglis El Shoura
Telephone: (202) 5748168, (202) 5748708
Fax: (202) 5745596
Email: ncw1@idsc.gov.eg
The National Council for Women, Egypt, is a newly established council, directly affiliated to the presidency. Its aim is to empower Egyptian women in all fields of life. It also aims at enabling women to better preserve their national identity and heritage. The council is presided by Egypt's First Lady, Mrs. Suzanne Mubarak. Ambassador Mervat Tallawy acts as Secretary General. In addition, 30 public figures and experts in women's issues are permanent members of the Council. The council's mandate is as follows: Advise the society and its constitutional institutions on public policies that target the development and empowerment of women to better perform their economic and social roles and the integration of women's efforts in comprehensive development programmes. · Draw up a national plan for the advancement of women and solving the problems confronting them. · Follow up on and evaluate the implementation of the public policy on women's issues and submit the council's proposals, recommendations and observations in this regard to the relevant authorities. · Advise on laws and decrees pertaining to women before they are presented to the concerned authorities and recommend draft laws and decrees deemed necessary to improve women's conditions. · Voice opinions on all agreements related to women. · Represent women at international conferences and organizations dealing with women's issues. · Set up a Documentation Center to collect information, data, studies and researches on women as well as conduct its own studies and researches in this area. · Hold conferences, debates, symposia and seminars on women's issues. · Organize awareness-raising training sessions on women's rights, duties and role in society. · Issue newsletters, magazines and publications related to its goals and mandate. · Discuss any issues to be referred to the Council by the President of the Arab Republic of Egypt.

New Woman Research Center
9D Orabi Street - 6th Floor - Mohandessin - Cairo
Egypt
Tel & Fax: 202-3048085

Regional Network on Arab Women
Social Research Centre, American University in Cairo
PO Box 2511, 113 Sharia Kasr-el-Aini, Cairo.
Egypt
Web Site: http://www.aucegypt.edu/src We are in the process of developing a resource site on issues of the economic participation of women in Egypt (as well as one on working children, and one on girls' education).

Society for the Economic Liberation of Women
8 Dareeh Saad, Kasrel Einy, Cairo.
Egypt

Sudan Women's Alliance (SWA)
c/o Office of African Studies
American University in Cairo
P.O. Box 2511
Cairo - Egypt
E-mail: sarah@acs.aucegypt.edu
A political activism group.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 07 September 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole20
Member # 8703

Rate Member
Thanks heap tigerlilly...

Met with ECWR..Egyptian center for Womens Rights yesterday...they are very positive at the minimum they will help us with advice and contacts with a possibility of taking on the project...great news.

Nicole20
Member # 8703

Rate Member
hey we are seriously trying to set up a discussion group..so all those people who are interested please email me.
this includes egyptian men and women and foreigners
we want to discuss a number of topics including the definition of harrassment
why we think it occurs so much here
different strategies to combat it
what YOU can do to help

and more
thanks all

Nicole20
Member # 8703

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Nicole20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanna keep this post visable so people have an opportunity to contribute
Nicole20
Member # 8703

Rate Member
Hey there,

We are planning to have a discussion group on Wednesday the 21st September...anyone interested, email me.

Nicole

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com