EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The Beautiful Ramadan (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Beautiful Ramadan
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the beautiful Ramadan is only a couple of weeks away, I thought its high time someone opens a thread about it!
Ramadan is the ninth month in the Muslim year, and its believed that the holy Koran was sent in it.
The Islamic calendar is purely lunar, contains 12 months, and shifts according to the motion of the moon. Consequently, Ramadan comes at different times in the Christian calendar, and is either 20 or 30 days. Muslims usually calculate the beginning of the month by the appearance of the crescent moon which we call hilal. if it is seen, then usually its announced on TV that the next day is the beginning of Ramadan.
Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam, which include, saying the shahada, praying, giving the zakkat, and doing the pilgrimage. Muslims are supposed to fast from sunrise to sunset and not eat, drink, smoke, or have sex. Further Muslims are expected to be on their best behavior during this month, but that part is usually forgotten!
Because Egypt has a large Muslim population, the working hours, school and university hours are usually shifted to make fasting easier, and in order to make it easy for people to go home before the Iftar (breaking of fast). Usually people go to work a little early, and also go home also early like 1 or 2 pm.
The traffic during the month is usually crazy, and people are usually very nervous, loose their temper, and even swear at each other. This as I said above is completely wrong. Its very important in Ramadan for Muslims to be polite, kind, friendly, and calm. But in Egypt tempers are usually flying, and people will always excuse it by just saying "asl ana sayem/a" (its because I’m fasting) which is just a lame excuse. Further, people usually become very lazy during this month, which is really difficult when you are working. Just go into any office in Ramadan, especially a governmental office and you’ll find the people looking like they are on drugs or something. Dead eyes, dry lips, and usually with their heads resting on the desk, and if you ask them for any work done, they’ll give you a look to kill! How dare you! This is Ramadan! Again this is very wrong, in Ramadan Muslims are expected to be as or even more productive than any other time.
Ramadan is considered a family time for Muslims; in fact in many families as in mine for example, people don't sit around the dinner table together except in this time.
During Ramadan food is usually considered very important. Egyptians figure that if they have to refrain from eating and drinking all day then they are definitely going to make up for that after the Iftar. in fact the best meals you’ll have in Egypt, will probably be during that month, it will just make your mouth water. People eat non stop from sunset to sunrise, and usually gain a lot of weight, which is bizarre.
Before the beginning of the month Muslims usually buy what we call "yamish ramadan," which are different kinds of dried fruits like, raisins, shelled walnuts, dried dates, dried figs, shelled almonds etc. In addition we have special deserts like konafa, shredded wheat and syrup, katayef, sweets stuffed with nuts, cream or cheese, baklawa, baked pastry with nuts, or khoshaf, dried fruit punch.
Additionally, we have special Ramadan drinks, like kamr el din, an apricot based drink, hibiscus, kharboub, sa7lab, 3erq souse (don't know the translations).
At sunset Muslims usually gather around the table, and wait for the prayer, as a sign to begin eating. In addition to the prayer we know when to eat through what we call madfa3 el iftar.(translation??). It is preferable for Muslims to break their fast with dates like the prophet (pbuh) and do their sunset prayers, then continue eating. Usually in every suburb tables called “mawa2ed el rahman,” (tables of the merciful) are put in every suburb for the poor people.
After the Muslims eat, they usually gather around in the living room and eat the aforementioned dessert. After the evening prayer, its time for the taraweeh prayers. During the taraweeh, which in Arabic means to relax usually long portions of the Koran are read? The taraweeh can be performed at home, but many Muslims, especially in more recent times, prefer to do it in a group prayer in the mosque. Usually the Imam ends it with a beautiful and touching prayer. In the last ten days Muslims also do another prayer called the tahagood. In fact the last ten days of Ramadan are considered really vital, especially the 27th of Ramadan which is widely believed to be laylat el kadr, or the day the Koran was revealed. Many Muslims spent this night in the mosque, praying and praying and praying. It’s usually very beautiful.
While in the month of Ramadan Muslims are expected to use their time to pray and read the Koran, many people in Egypt prefer to watch TV! Egyptian TV is usually very boring, but in Ramadan the best soap operas, usually as many as 30 different ones, as well as programs are aired. In addition, we have a famous Ramadan program called fawazeer or “riddles,” and every year a different famous person does it. Although in the past few years it’s been criticized harshly because it involves a lot of singing and dancing which is considered tasteless during this holy month. So basically, Egyptians are stuck in front of their TV from sunset till dawn, doing nothing but watching crappy shows instead of making good use of this holy month.
Further, during Ramadan, what we call Ramadan “tents,” open up where people go to sing and dance and smoke (shisha) the night away. Another misunderstanding of the whole concept of Ramadan!
Finally, the last important part of Ramadan is the “suhur,” which is the second main meal, after the Iftar. Usually men called “msa7arateya,” go around the city to call people to wake up, in order to eat before sunrise. Each suburb has its own msa7arty, who usually makes his rounds at about 2:00 am. He usually says “es7a ya naym, we wa7d el dayem,” (wake up, and witness the one god, crappy translation I know) while beating on a drum. In the old days, this man was very important, and people relied on him to wake up for suhur, but now with the alarm clocks, this traditions is fading away, which is sad, because its lovely and an integral part of Ramadan!
Anyway I’ve tried to draw a detailed picture of how Ramadan is celebrated in Egypt. I wish everyone inshallah a great Ramadan. And I would like to hear the experiences of people who celebrate it in other countries or even other Egyptian cities because I’ve only observed it in Cairo and Alexandria. Also I would like to ask those who converted to Islam, to tell us what it felt like to fast for the first time? Plus how do expats think of Ramadan after they have witnessed it in Egypt? Plus how do people who live in non Muslim countries cope with Ramadan, I know it’s very difficult when you are the only one fasting!

Sorry for the long post, phew!

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the information about the Hope Village ??????????????
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvinous:
What about the information about the Hope Village ??????????????

i can't find the brochure i think i lost it! but its easy, just call the daleel and ask for their number. or you can visit them, i remember the head office was in 17 el khashab st. Nasr City

good luck

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leila
Member # 8539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi 7aya, ramadan for me in the west is obviously nothing like you described.. during the day it is just like any other month, in fact i find it strange to hear what you describe about people at work acting half dead! after the first few days it really isn’t difficult at all and is such a beautiful lesson in self control, patience and appreciation for what we have and that others are not so lucky... i am looking forward to it this year as always, especially as i should be in cairo for my first ramdan there!
Posts: 201 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Leila:
Hi 7aya, ramadan for me in the west is obviously nothing like you described.. during the day it is just like any other month, in fact i find it strange to hear what you describe about people at work acting half dead! after the first few days it really isn’t difficult at all and is such a beautiful lesson in self control, patience and appreciation for what we have and that others are not so lucky... i am looking forward to it this year as always, especially as i should be in cairo for my first ramdan there!

wow you're going to be here for ramadan? that is so cool! you know you're going to love it (well most of it) the atmosphere is very nice, and the taraweeh are amazing. i'm glad you say that ramadan is not so difficult in australia, because inshallah thats where i will be in the 2006 ramadan! so basically you don't even gather with your family around the table?

Leila
Member # 8539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
wow you're going to be here for ramadan? that is so cool! you know you're going to love it (well most of it) the atmosphere is very nice, and the taraweeh are amazing. i'm glad you say that ramadan is not so difficult in australia, because inshallah thats where i will be in the 2006 ramadan! so basically you don't even gather with your family around the table?

well my family have iftar and suhur together but during the day its work as usual no difference or exceptions from any other month.. I'm sure you won't have any problems with it here 7aya, i mean ofcourse people will be eating around you but that’s life, you'll quickly get use to this and it really doesn’t make fasting any harder.

Posts: 201 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Leila:
well my family have iftar and suhur together but during the day its work as usual no difference or exceptions from any other month.. I'm sure you won't have any problems with it here 7aya, i mean ofcourse people will be eating around you but that’s life, you'll quickly get use to this and it really doesn’t make fasting any harder.

you know ramadan should not be different or have any exceptions. i don't think in egypt the hours should be changed, and people should go home earlier etc. thats not how its meant to be. so its good that its this way inshallah in australia.

Leila
Member # 8539

Member Rated:
quote:
you know ramadan should not be different or have any exceptions. i don't think in egypt the hours should be changed, and people should go home earlier etc. thats not how its meant to be. so its good that its this way inshallah in australia.

I agree i’m surprised by what you say as people being nervous, loosing their tempers, being lazy at work all under the excuse that its ramadan when all this behaviour is in contradiction to their fast (eating non-stop from sunrise to sunset! no wonder a few kilos are put on)... muslims should carry on with their daily activities like any other month, its certainly not difficult to do.. ask us muslims living in the west.

Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely topic!

Agree with Leila. Here in the UK it's just another day for most, luckily I work (or did before maternity leave) in an Islamic environment and so never had the test of being around those who weren't observing the fast - only happened on commuting home that is and no big deal. We try to make Ramadan special and invite as many of our friends over for iftar and accept all invitations to break the fast with others. Our local mosque does lovely taraweeh and there are usually talks going on throughout the month in miscellaneous locations. I miss the buzz of Ramadan in Cairo, the chaos in the streets when everyone is trying to get home in time followed by ghost town type eerieness on the call to prayer for Maghrib. I miss the big family get-togethers, the food, the suhoor in different places. We don't really do that here, work schedules are hectic, people have to be up early and we just don't blame our tiredness/lack of brain power on 'Oh, but i'm fasting' .. terrible!

One thing we try to do is take platters of food/sweets to our neighbours, the majority of which are non-Muslim. I love that part, we also have a lantern by the door and try to create a Ramadan atmosphere best we can.

The one thing i must comment on however, is how I feel when fasting and looking around me and finding people totally unaware that it's Ramadan! I feel like calling out 'Hey everyone, it's Ramadan!' I feel like they're missing out in all the barakah.

Ramadan has fallen during winter here for the last few years and there is something really cosy about dark winter nights and Ramadan .... maybe that's just me though!

Hope my post hasn't gone on too long, but at last, an interesting post i can comment on. Shukran ya Aya

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what lovely posts, thank you for sharing.

As a Christian living in Egypt I try and be discreet about eating and drinking. As I am diabetic I couldn't fast anyway. But I love being part of the family when they break the fast and you are right about the lovely food that is cooked. One thing I especially like is the food laid out in the streets. It is nice to see the generosity of the donors and the way even people who have commitments stop and spare that time to break the fast.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Farhana:
Lovely topic!

Agree with Leila. Here in the UK it's just another day for most, luckily I work (or did before maternity leave) in an Islamic environment and so never had the test of being around those who weren't observing the fast - only happened on commuting home that is and no big deal. We try to make Ramadan special and invite as many of our friends over for iftar and accept all invitations to break the fast with others. Our local mosque does lovely taraweeh and there are usually talks going on throughout the month in miscellaneous locations. I miss the buzz of Ramadan in Cairo, the chaos in the streets when everyone is trying to get home in time followed by ghost town type eerieness on the call to prayer for Maghrib. I miss the big family get-togethers, the food, the suhoor in different places. We don't really do that here, work schedules are hectic, people have to be up early and we just don't blame our tiredness/lack of brain power on 'Oh, but i'm fasting' .. terrible!

One thing we try to do is take platters of food/sweets to our neighbours, the majority of which are non-Muslim. I love that part, we also have a lantern by the door and try to create a Ramadan atmosphere best we can.

The one thing i must comment on however, is how I feel when fasting and looking around me and finding people totally unaware that it's Ramadan! I feel like calling out 'Hey everyone, it's Ramadan!' I feel like they're missing out in all the barakah.

Ramadan has fallen during winter here for the last few years and there is something really cosy about dark winter nights and Ramadan .... maybe that's just me though!

Hope my post hasn't gone on too long, but at last, an interesting post i can comment on. Shukran ya Aya

hey farhana thanks for the post! see i'm getting tips from you and leila on how to make a "ramadan atmosphere," outside of egypt! but unlike leila it seems you have already expereince ramadan here, and so can tell the difference. i hope i can find taraweeh avaiable, and muslim gatherings like you do inshallah.
i really like that part where you give food and sweets to your neighbours even the non muslims, it shows muslim hospitality. see if every muslim did things like that, we might be able to change the way people view us!
also i'm glad you mentioned the lantern, because i forgot to do that in my post.
to the non-muslims the lantern is the symbol of ramadan in egypt, just like the christmas tree is the symbol of christmas! youll find alot of kids playing with small ones, while big ones are usually put on door steps and inside of homes. the lanterns in all sizes and colors, and sadly in the past few years egypt has started importing them from china. we can't make our own lanterns "rolleyes"
also in very traditional places in egypt, the people gather money from each other before ramadan, and build big mosques from paper, and hang it between the buildings on top of the alleys and streets. also other decorations are triangulur and star shaped plastic or paper that are used to decorate both homes and shops!

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramadan is a month when everything feels different, You can recognize it even by the smell of the air which becomes different during the month. I disagree with 7aya about manners, I kinda find people nicer and more kind in Ramadan not much swearing and better attitude as people feel they will waste their fasting if they do bad acts. more people in mosques, no smoking smokes except that of cars of course but as 7aya said to many people, Ramadan is about food and TV and while the puropose of Ramadan is mainly for Muslims to feel for the poor ones and recognize gifts given to them by God yet people seem to eat and spend on food in this month more than any other time...How Ironic...I also love Ramadan old songs
Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona
Member # 8979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corvinous:
What about the information about the Hope Village ??????????????[/QUOTE
asalam alikom
I am newly converted to Islam
and it is going to be my frist Ramadan
I live in the usa and I do not as of yet
know the muslum community.Ienjoyed reading your post I live in Athen Georgia and there is not alot of muslums here so I will keep u posted inshallah

Posts: 2 | From: Athens -Georgia-USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magnona:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corvinous:
[b]What about the information about the Hope Village ??????????????
[/QUOTE
asalam alikom
I am newly converted to Islam
and it is going to be my frist Ramadan
I live in the usa and I do not as of yet
know the muslum community.Ienjoyed reading your post I live in Athen Georgia and there is not alot of muslums here so I will keep u posted inshallah [/B]

Wa alaikum assalam, Magnona! I am a new convert, too. This will be my first Ramadan, inshallah.

I'm in DC.

Take care,

Snoozin

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice topic ...
I like also the Ramadan month..Even it means more cooking for me..
It is very strange also to me,that people are like in vacation all the month..so lazy..it is so easy with fasting,if u just change ur lifestyle,u go to sleep at very late and wake up late..

And also kind of strange here,that in one month,all night clubs are empty of egyptians.then other 11 months they are drinking and having very bad life..
of course it is just small part of egyptians..here in hurghada ,i just feel like many people are living a double life.
Does it really help to get u to heaven,if u can be just one month as a good muslim..then other 11 u are not religious at all..
sorry,this is not my bisnes..i'm just wondering.

Anyway, food is really amazing during the ramadan..i hope many egyptian families invate us to eat to their home and i will get 5kg more in one month..
i'm learning to cook with egyptian style, and i think now i can invate people to eat with us also..

Here in hurghada most of egyptians are without their families..so we use to eat with friends.
we also go out to eat,to restaurangs.
after breakfast,it is pretty much just relaxing front of the tv..then later we often go sitting to out somewhere..

I was in cairo on last Ramadan. It was nice to be with family, and there u can smell and feel that it is a special month going..
But the traffic,it was so awfull,that i get total so nervos..and scary.
So why is all this traffic,if people get early from the work..i mean traffic before breakfast. are they going on everyday to eat with whole family? i mean with ur grandparents and so..

i moved to egypt 4years ago,it was just a Ramadan time..I didnt know anything about it..and sure i got my husband to broke the rules..now i know better,and i try to help him to be a good muslim..
i even try fasting sometimes,but cause it is not something that i feel i need to do,so i dont do it anymore. of course i respect my husband's fasting, i dont eat front of him..

I hope all of u have a peaceful,lovely Ramadan.

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How refreshing! A thread with no aruging!!

Troubles, Yes it's true! There is definitely a 'Ramadan in the air' kind of atmosphere/smell. I think for me it is the onset of Autumn..not quite sure if it will be the same when Ramadan comes in earlier, i.e. the summer!! Yikes! But for now, the mornings are getting colder and there is a distinct feeling of Ramadan.

Aya - I've spent quite a few Ramadan's in Cairo. We actually try to visit for the last week and spend Eid there too, not possible this year but maybe inshallah next year. The one thing that I always took as the norm that I find a little strange as i get older is the fascination with the TV directly after Iftar!! It seems that they broadcast the best 'Tamsiliya/Fawazeer' during this month as a diversion from doing anything ibada wise. Here in the UK there is nothing much to do in the winter evenings as opposed to Cairo's Ramadan tents, hotels, shiisha bars etc.. so we do spend good time reading and praying which I found difficult to do in Egypt unless I went out to the masjid. Hmm...Both have their advantages.
Am Babbling now so will go ... ma'salam

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's lovely reading this thread, I was already excited about Ramadan this year as it will be the first time I get to spend part of it in Cairo. Now after reading all your comments I am looking forward to it even more.

I am not muslim but I find it easier to fast with my husband, no point in cooking for one and I can't eat big meals later in the day if I do not set my clock to his. I do however still drink, I just think it is so bad for your body not to have any water all day. It actually upsets me to see my husband do this. Food no problem but water????

I also like to find some special reflective reading at this time as I am no good at sleeping in in the mornings. So any suggestions from anyone would be nice. I saw some books the other day called 'conversations with God'. Has anyone read them?

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

[This message has been edited by Corvinous (edited 21 September 2005).]

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Magnona ???????? another new converted ????

Has anyone told you the deads boat need your corpse too

[This message has been edited by Corvinous (edited 19 September 2005).]

What does this mean? deads boats?

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

mooneal
Member # 8782

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mooneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear 7aya, u gave me a personal panorama on ur religion and customs. My Pope, John Paul II, was very open for all religions.Wanted them to make a dialogue. It's called "ecumenism". As u know. No quarell, no fight, but exist together in harmony. I'm happy to know more about ur culture.And interested about it more. Like my Pope.When he became ...pope said to Italian: "Please, correct me in ur language cause now it's our language". The newest movie about him is: "Karol. The story of a man who became pope".Please, see it. I hope, it's our language..........The bridge.
Posts: 810 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
A boat tranfering dead people's corpses.

So you want Magnona dead? Still

Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
I want her and all non-muslims to BACK OFF!

PLEASE GIVE US A BREAK
every woman who nothing to do with her life and bored with TV and available social activities in the west, get converted to that poor religion and starts the endless compromising, loook at sonomod post about being naked with sex partner andhow she so deliberately mix it with religion

Nudity and Islam in ONE topic
My head is boiling and my eyes are full of tears for the name of that great Religion abused like that
That is why I hate Bin Laden, he is so dumb to think americans or even jewish people as enemies of this religion, while it has no enemies but people from inside it, of which the worst are those New Convertees

Oh Dieu Misericordieux !!!!!!!
Au diable les Convertesssssssssssssss

I really don't understand where you are coming from. Are you saying she's not a *real* Muslim because she converted? And by extension, I would gather, neither am I?

[This message has been edited by Snoozin (edited 19 September 2005).]

scarlet water
Member # 8185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scarlet water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Please, dear Magnona.
Ask what ever questions you have but please just keep away from my name, not happy seeing it into your so sweet post Mrs. New Converted

do u have any problems with moslims or those who r converted???

Posts: 120 | From: egypt,cairo | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
I really don't understand where you are coming from. Are you saying she's not a *real* Muslim because she converted? And by extension, I would gather, neither am I?

YES, IF I HAD THE AUTHORITY, I WOULD BAN CONVERTING TO ISLAM OR MAKE IT HARDER THAN ANYTHING IN THE WORLD, AND THEN FOCUS ON CLEANING THE ISLAMIC NATION FROM INSIDE.
RE-ORIENTATION !!!!!!!!

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
I want her and all non-muslims to BACK OFF!
PLEASE GIVE US A BREAK
every woman who nothing to do with her life and bored with TV and available social activities in the west, get converted to that poor religion and starts the endless compromising, loook at sonomod post about being naked with sex partner andhow she so deliberately mix it with religion

Sonomod is not a Muslim.

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
YES, IF I HAD THE AUTHORITY, I WOULD BAN CONVERTING TO ISLAM OR MAKE IT HARDER THAN ANYTHING IN THE WORLD, AND THEN FOCUS ON CLEANING THE ISLAMIC NATION FROM INSIDE.
RE-ORIENTATION !!!!!!!!

Hmmmmm, thanks for being so welcoming.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
RE-ORIENTATION !!!!!!!!

are you crazy?!!! how dare you say something like that! who the hell are you to ban people from converting. those converts are better than you and me. we were born with islam, while they had to fight and struggle to find it, and usually understand even more than we do! they deserve respect!
and why did you turn a thread about ramadan into an aggressive attack. so typical!!!

Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
THAT RELIGION'S ONLY PROBLEM IS PEOPLE DOING INSANE THINGS IN ITS NAME OR LIVING AND TALKING WORSE THAT PROSTITUES AND THEN SAY THEY ARE MSULIMS

yeah people like you doing insane things! who are you to tell people not to convert to islam, you don't own it! and since you love this religion so much, why don't you start acting like a good muslim and being nice to people, especially to those who have made the effort to find islam???? you are a shame to this beautiful religion!

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
LEAVE US AND LEAVE IT ALONE PLEASE
OR KEEP YOUR CONVERTINGS TO YOURSELF, DO NOTHING IN THE NAME OF THAT RELIGION.
THAT RELIGION'S ONLY PROBLEM IS PEOPLE DOING INSANE THINGS IN ITS NAME OR LIVING AND TALKING WORSE THAT PROSTITUES AND THEN SAY THEY ARE MSULIMS
PEOPLE LIKE MORGAN AND KAFIR4EVER DID NOT COME OUT OF NO WHERE !!!!
SPEAKING OF NUDITY IN PRIVATE OR IN PUBLIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS RELIGION, PLEASE LEAVE IT ALONEEEEEEEEEEEE
OH GOD I AM ABOUT TO CRY AHHHHHHHHHHHH

When have I ever talked about nudity on this forum? ?????? I won't write to you any longer, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't write to me.

daria1975
Member # 6244

Sorry 7aya, to get off topic on your thread. I find it very interesting, although I don't have much to contribute on topic.
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I SUGGEST THAT IF SOME NON-MUSLIM LIKES OUR RELIGION, THEN PLEASE KEEP IT LIKE THAT
LIKE IT, SUPPORT IT, TALK NICE ABOUT IT, BUT LEAVE IT ALONE AFTERWARDS AND KEEP EXPLORING THE WORLD AND ANOTHER GOOD THINGS TO SUPPORT

Some of are, now could we keep this thread about Ramadan PLEASE

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Happy ramadan for everyone

Where is that Magnona ????

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
It's lovely reading this thread, I was already excited about Ramadan this year as it will be the first time I get to spend part of it in Cairo. Now after reading all your comments I am looking forward to it even more.

I am not muslim but I find it easier to fast with my husband, no point in cooking for one and I can't eat big meals later in the day if I do not set my clock to his. I do however still drink, I just think it is so bad for your body not to have any water all day. It actually upsets me to see my husband do this. Food no problem but water????

I also like to find some special reflective reading at this time as I am no good at sleeping in in the mornings. So any suggestions from anyone would be nice. I saw some books the other day called 'conversations with God'. Has anyone read them?

Some of C S Lewis writings are excellent like the Problem with Pain, Suprised by Joy and the Screwtape Letters. These are problems that anyone would relate to doesn't matter whether they are Christian or Muslim

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
how about the converts who fasted for the first time? what did it feel like?
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
Some of C S Lewis writings are excellent like the Problem with Pain, Suprised by Joy and the Screwtape Letters. These are problems that anyone would relate to doesn't matter whether they are Christian or Muslim

Thanks Jane, I had never got beyond The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe!

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the only ritual i like and still practice is fasting, the idea of abstaining from food to share the feelings of the poor is so marvellous but i really believe abstaining from water is bad for the health, i have kidney problems and each ramadan i suffer a lot, i wonder if this really pleases god!

OK people you can start posting your attacks now, flame me for daring to voice out my true feelings..shoot..

[This message has been edited by misfit (edited 19 September 2005).]

Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
I saw some books the other day called 'conversations with God'. Has anyone read them?

I read the original book years ago -- a gift from a friend for my graduation. It wasn't really my thing, however, my friend really connected with the book.

Were you able to skim through a few of the pages? If it looks appealing at all, you'll like the book. The musings are pretty similar throughout.

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reading at the moment "MAyada the daughter of Iraq" quite interesting.
A nice Ramadan reading I think would be the Alchemist by Paul Coleho,it gives something to think about.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by misfit:
the only ritual i like and still practice is fasting, the idea of abstaining from food to share the feelings of the poor is so marvellous but i really believe abstaining from water is bad for the health, i have kidney problems and each ramadan i suffer a lot, i wonder if this really pleases god!

OK people you can start posting your attacks now, flame me for daring to voice out my true feelings..shoot..

I understood the point of fasting to be more of a test from God to make you stronger and help you to follow the right path to God and living life in a righteous way.

I do agree about the water though, as I said above it upsets me to see my husband do this as there is no logic in something that is so bad for the body. It will not hurt anyone ( unless they have a medical problem) to not have food in the day, but our bodies need water.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:

islam says that if someone is sick they are allowed not to fast. so if you have kidney problems you shouldn't

misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

islam says that if someone is sick they are allowed not to fast. so if you have kidney problems you shouldn't

how sick should i be, my kidneys have a tendency towards building stones, this is not some temporary problem so that i can compensate for the missed days later, it's something i live with, there is no way to investigate the immediate effects of fasting on my kidneys other than my own agony which is very subjective in religious terms plus the results of reliable medical research which is, in totality, performed by non-muslim researchers, so you see it's far more complicated than that since i want to fast but i feel my body needs the water (and i guess all the fasters would feel the same too), and it feels silly to be selective about it and abstain from food only while continue to drink don't you agree?
So, do you think your opinion with that regard is reliable enough or is it just a casual thought?

Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
It was inevitable really wasn't it?

Such a fantastic thread (at last) that I was enjoying being a part of. I was stupid enough to tell my non-Muslim friend who was asking about Ramadan to take a look here as it gave accounts of Ramadan from different perspectives and in different countries, wish I hadn't now! Why do you guys have to turn something as simple and enjoyable as a good post to slander match or abusive forum?

Can't you keep your 'off the topic' chat to another thread?

Back to Ramadan please. And maybe someone could start a 'What are you reading now?' thread that we could all contribute to. We had one of these last year on ES and it was great...back in the days when you could learn something on here......pah

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
how sick should i be, my kidneys have a tendency towards building stones, this is not some temporary problem so that i can compensate for the missed days later, it's something i live with, there is no way to investigate the immediate effects of fasting on my kidneys other than my own agony which is very subjective in religious terms plus the results of reliable medical research which is, in totality, performed by non-muslim researchers, so you see it's far more complicated than that since i want to fast but i feel my body needs the water (and i guess all the fasters would feel the same too), and it feels silly to be selective about it and abstain from food only while continue to drink don't you agree?
So, do you think your opinion with that regard is reliable enough or is it just a casual thought?

my aunt has been suffering from severe migranes for years, it got to the point that when she fasted she would get really sick and would be transferred to the hospital. so she stopped fasting, and just gives money to help feed other people during ramadan. in islam you can be exempted from fasting if you are a child, pregnant, or sick. so i don't see what is the problem. someone with a kidney problem should not fast, go see a doctor and see what he will tell you. salamtak

Leila
Member # 8539

Member Rated:
so what about eid al-fitr in cairo? what is it like? how do you celebrate the end of ramadan? I really feel like i am missing out on a great atmosphere by being in australia.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com