EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Black bits in rice and lentils!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Black bits in rice and lentils!
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know why, according to my Egyptian family, I am supposed to spend 20 minutes removing the black bits before I cook rice and lentils? Can't you just eat them and hope for the best? Is this just a time wasting exercise? I don't remember seeing any black bits in the rice and lentils in the UK.
Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by samakwish:
Does anyone know why, according to my Egyptian family, I am supposed to spend 20 minutes removing the black bits before I cook rice and lentils? Can't you just eat them and hope for the best? Is this just a time wasting exercise? I don't remember seeing any black bits in the rice and lentils in the UK.

Haven't you found to buy rice and lentils without black bits there?!
Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoping for the best might result in a broken tooth or two!! We don't have to do anything to the rice or lentils in the UK I agree, except rinse in water but you have to clean it over there. That is, unless some company has cottoned on and does it all for you first and is then packed..probably putting the price up sky high...
Shirkat Expat...for rice and lentils, can see it now!! [Razz]

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, Well if broken teeth are the only problem - I think I will swallow mine and continue watching my husband carefully collecting the offending black bits onto the side of his plate!!
Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sora
Member # 8159

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some shops sell rice and lentils without these black bits in the sack..... You may have to pay a bit more but saves the time removing them....

The same goes with sugar in Egypt... Haven't anyone notice how smelly they are? [Eek!] It's sweet but does not melt easily and has a bad smell.....

Sora

Posts: 181 | From: By the River Nile - Cairo | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, what's up with the sugar? I was wondering?? I don't do rice much just buy balsamic in a box...
Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat lots of rice and have never discovered any black bits in it. [Confused]

Never bought sugar, though ... what exactly is wrong with it?

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
belly_wigggla
Member # 9626

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for belly_wigggla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rice and lentils bought from the market must be picked through washed thoroughly...the little black bits are stones and mud!!

You can buy bags of lentils and rice from any supermarket (Gem lentils and Sohagy rice don't need to be picked through) and just wash them thoroughly....

--------------------
[size=18]My EBAY[/size]

Posts: 41 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq20055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed the same, I also stick to basmati, mostly because the local rice is strange to me, not even rice and doesn't cook well...grrrr
Posts: 1074 | From: Menufia, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dudda
Member # 8705

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dudda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
I eat lots of rice and have never discovered any black bits in it. [Confused]

I've seen nothing either [Confused]
Posts: 715 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's only the really cheap type of rice that has black bits. Not the kind you buy in packets at the supermarket.
Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nooralhaq20055:
I have noticed the same, I also stick to basmati, mostly because the local rice is strange to me, not even rice and doesn't cook well...grrrr

I prefer Basmati, too, it also goes better with the dishes I usually cook.

The local one is great for making sushi, though. [Wink]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandmother used to have us pick out the gritty pieces then soak the lentils to get rid of the 'storage dust' and other stuff. The bagged lentil tend to be 'cleaner' so just the soaking part softens them.

I usually add the seasonings (peppper, green onions, paprika, garlic, etc)at the end as oppoed to the begining of cooking because more are retained.

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nooralhaq - I have had the same trouble with Egyptian rice it just comes out like sludge when I cook it. So I buy basmati from the supermarket now, but it is so expensive here. I think someone must be able to tell us how to cook Egyptian rice?!
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can actually buy Egyptian long grain rice...its much cheaper than Basmati and to my taste buds very acceptable. From what I been told the secret to cooking Egyptian short grain rice is that you have to cook the rice for a short while in semna (ghee) for a short while before you put the water in. Twice water to rice and salt to taste, then once it has boiled for a while (some say until the water is at the same level as the rice), cover the pan and leave for 20 minutes (or until the water is all absorbed and the desired consistency is acquired), without stirring or peeking (although I always do to make sure it hasn't boiled dry!) Its also nice if you brown vermicelli first before you put the rice in.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nooralhaq20055
Member # 9255

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nooralhaq20055     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by samakwish:
Nooralhaq - I have had the same trouble with Egyptian rice it just comes out like sludge when I cook it. So I buy basmati from the supermarket now, but it is so expensive here. I think someone must be able to tell us how to cook Egyptian rice?!

I've watched it cooked, it's fried first and then mixed with sometimes with pasta (what is called Vermichilli in the states). it's strange, kind of like Rice a Roni lol
Posts: 1074 | From: Menufia, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Thanks for that Newcomer and Nooralhaq - I will have another go at cooking Egyptian rice

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com