EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Affidavit for never been married before?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Affidavit for never been married before?
Cinderella2
Member # 13259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinderella2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know where in the USA you can get this affidavit stating that you have never been married before which is required in Egypt to get married legally to an Egyptian man? I have tried to find it on The Secretary of State website and many other avenues and can't find the answer. I had an affidavit made up at my town hall signed by the Notary of Public.. but it is not good enough. Got any answers?

Thanks to all!

Posts: 10 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlobalOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Title company or an attorney can prepare this document for you. Normally a notary of public is good enough for such task.

but why would they need affidavit stating that you have never been married before ????????

So DIVORCED people can not get married in Egypt?!

Posts: 176 | From: Proud to be Egyptian | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who asked u for this affidavit?
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think maybe she means the affidavit that you need to present at the Ministry of Justice to get married to an Egyptian. This affidavit used to be issued by the American consulate and it is just something to say that you are free to marry. They don't issue it anymore since the Egyptian government doesn't accept the version that they are using.

This was discussed not so long ago in another topic and here is the link to the consulates website where they made the announcement in April: http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/acs12.htm .

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they should bleieve u with no affidavit
y would u lie? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Batman, non-stop, righteous machine:
they should bleieve u with no affidavit
y would u lie? [Roll Eyes]

Batman, most people wouldn't lie about whether they have been married before but this affadavit is just something that is required showing you are free to be married.
When I married my jordanian husband we had his attorney write the paper up in both english & arabic which we then took to the US embassey in Jordan where they notorized it for $30.00. We had to have this paper to take to the court with us when we got married.

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cinderella2
Member # 13259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinderella2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cbrbddd:
I think maybe she means the affidavit that you need to present at the Ministry of Justice to get married to an Egyptian. This affidavit used to be issued by the American consulate and it is just something to say that you are free to marry. They don't issue it anymore since the Egyptian government doesn't accept the version that they are using.

This was discussed not so long ago in another topic and here is the link to the consulates website where they made the announcement in April: http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/acs12.htm .

Posts: 10 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cinderella2
Member # 13259

Rate Member
Thank-you everyone for your replies.
Yes, I worded my question wrong. cbrbdd is right I need an affidavit stating that I am "free to marry".
And yes I had already looked on the link that you posted prior to asking my question, thanks for the information.
I will try again on the net.

Thanks

WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WithAllMyHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes thank you someone did give me this idea...a few people had....I had it in my mind before but I wasnt sure if it would work. Do I have to get an attorney to draw up the affidavit or can I do it myself and contact a notary. I have made a few up with samples of others...take a look what do you think.

I,___________________________________________________an American
Passport No.: issued by________________________on_______________
Born in__________________________on_____________________________
Hereby swear under oath that,

My religion is____________________________________________________
I was previously married to________________________________who is a national of_______________________. The marriage was terminated on_____________________________by_____________________________as evidenced by_____________________________.

I intend to marry___________________________a national of _________________and a resident in_______________________________.

I am a citizen of the United States of America.
I am not related to my intended spouse by blood or marriage.
I know of no objection or impediment to marriage with the person named above.
I am free from infectious and venereal diseases.
If subject to the jurisdiction of the United States Army, Navy or Air force, I have informed my chain of command.

_______________________________ Signature of Affiant

_______________________________ Print

subscribed and sworn before me this ______day of ________________, 200__,
for the contents of the foregoing document I assume no responsibility.

another I have.............................

Before me _________________________ of the Notary Public duly commissioned and qualified, personally appeared _________________________who, being duly sworn, deposed and stated:

My name is_____________________________________________________
My passport number is________________issued by________________
on________________________.
I reside in______________________________________________________.
I was born on__________________ in______________________________.
My religion is___________________________________________________.
My fathers name is______________________________he is a national
of_________________________________.
My mothers name is_____________________________she is a national
I have been previously married to ________________________________.
a national of____________________________________the marriage was terminated on ______________________________ by__________________ as evidenced by___________________________.
I intend to marry ________________________________________________
who is an_________________________ national and a resident of_______________________.
If subject to the jurisdiction of the United States Army, Navy or Air force, I have informed my chain of command.

Ok after I go threw the steps of the Notary, the State, the US Dept of State, The Egyptian Embassy, then do I have to have it stamped again by the US Embassy in Egypt then the Ministry of Foreign Affairs???...Or do I take it directly to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?....Do you recommend that I send the documents to my fiance first then see if they will accept it????...I am so stressed over this...inshallah i hope they accept it...any other recommendations???

Posts: 79 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WithAllMyHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know if I can have the affidavit notarized by the US Embassy????I know they are not allow to provide it to me, but they didnt say anything about me drawing up my own. They are not allowd to give any opinions or legal advice. This is the one i made up for the US Consul

Before me ______________________________of the Consul of the United States of America in and for the district of Egypt duly
commissioned and qualified, personally appeared ____________________________________who, being duly sworn, deposed and stated:

a national of____________________________________the marriage was terminated on ______________________________ by__________________ as evidenced by___________________________.
who is an_________________________________ national and a resident of_______________________.

Posts: 79 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
Do you think I should mail the documents to my fiance first to see if they accept it??....if so should I mail an original or a copy???? Cinderella what happend that you say that the document wasnt enough???....

U can get the affidavit from an attorney in your state and get it notarized then authenticated by the state and then authenticated in Washington, DC. You can still marry in Egypt.

A single status affidavit is a sworn statement that you are eligible to marry.
Americans needing to have this document should consult an attorney or the services of a notary.

Does anyone recommend that I bring my birth certificate or any other documents???

Cinderella2
Member # 13259

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by WithAllMyHeart:
Do you think I should mail the documents to my fiance first to see if they accept it??....if so should I mail an original or a copy???? Cinderella what happend that you say that the document wasnt enough???....

U can get the affidavit from an attorney in your state and get it notarized then authenticated by the state and then authenticated in Washington, DC. You can still marry in Egypt.

A single status affidavit is a sworn statement that you are eligible to marry.
Americans needing to have this document should consult an attorney or the services of a notary.

Does anyone recommend that I bring my birth certificate or any other documents???

Cinderella2
Member # 13259

Rate Member
Hello WithAllMyHeart,

I went to the Town Hall where I live and asked them about this affidavit. The woman behind the counter was a notary and she just had me write on a blank piece of paper a statement swearing that I have never been married before prior to marriage to my to my husband. I just wrote my name and his name the date and my sworn statement and that is all she said I needed to do.

She put her notary stamp on it and signed it and that was it.

I sent it to my husband via e-mail and he showed it to his lawyer who said that it was not sufficient.

He said I need to contact Secretary of State for this paper and I need to mail the original to him via the post.
I looked on The Secretary of State for this affidavit , but haven't had any luck.

I will have to follow your advice and get a lawyer. Thanks for the advice.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Americans can not get married at the moment in Egypt. the Egyptian governement will not accept the paper produced by the American government. so it makes no difference who you get to sign it, even if it was President Bush it won't work

You are going to have to wait until the Egyptian and American government sort it out.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shahrzaad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
people there is another thread about this ... right now there are NO foreign marriages in egypt or I should clarify american marriages countries with data bases of marriage and divorce it is still possible
Posts: 156 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Cinderella2:
Hello WithAllMyHeart,

I went to the Town Hall where I live and asked them about this affidavit. The woman behind the counter was a notary and she just had me write on a blank piece of paper a statement swearing that I have never been married before prior to marriage to my to my husband. I just wrote my name and his name the date and my sworn statement and that is all she said I needed to do.

She put her notary stamp on it and signed it and that was it.

I sent it to my husband via e-mail and he showed it to his lawyer who said that it was not sufficient.

He said I need to contact Secretary of State for this paper and I need to mail the original to him via the post.
I looked on The Secretary of State for this affidavit , but haven't had any luck.

I will have to follow your advice and get a lawyer. Thanks for the advice.

The paper you sent to your husband has to look official. First you type it and fill it out in front of a notary. Then you send it to the secretary of state in which you got that paper notarized, then they will authenticate as an "original document." Then you send it to the US Dept of State for authentication as well. Then lastly you send it to the Egyptian Embasssy as well. Now I recommend having this document translated and notarize in both english and arabic. You wont find the affidavit on ANY secretary of state website because that document doesnt exist in America, UNLESS, you create one yourself. Their are certain legal documents that need to be prepared, and cannot be found on websites. Luckily for me I found a Translation Office in Virginia that translates, notarizes, and sends the papers for authentication to the necessary people. You may win the Egyptian ZGovt over if it has a US Department of State Seal. Its worth a try. Good Luck.
WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
ATTENTION! ATTENTION! ATTENTION! ATTENTION!

I am almost 100% sure that this document below will satisty the Egyptian government if the following steps are followed exactly.

Step 1: Notarize this document in English in front of your local notary public. You will also need to translate it in to arabic and have it notarized in front of an arabic notary public.

Affidavit
State of_____________________

Before me _________________________ of the Notary Public duly commissioned and qualified, personally appeared _________________________who, being duly sworn, deposed and stated:

who is an_________________________ national and a resident of_______________________.

My commission expires: _______________

*CONTACT ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE A VERISON OF THIS AFFIDAVIT IN WORD OR TEXT FORMAT.

Step 2: Once both english and arabic versions have been notarized. Send this document and its translation in arabic to the Secretary of State(i.e. MD, DC, VA, CA, MA....) Once you send this to your Secretary of State they will authenticate this document as an 'original document.' To find the Secretary of State office in your state, go to Google.com and type 'your state_______Secretary of State'(i.e. Maryland Secretary of State.)

Step 3: Then send both versions of the document to the US Department of State for authentication. This is their website it gives you detailed instructions on the procedures to authenticate a document. http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

Step 4: Contact your nearest Egyptian Embassy and send them the document to have them certify it. The Egyptian Embassy charges $25 per document for certification.

***IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE THE US DEPT OF STATE SEAL ON BOTH DOCUMENTS. WITHOUT THEIR SEAL IT MEANS NOTHING IN EGYPT.

***IF YOU HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY MARRIED YOU WILL NEED TO REQUEST THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS BELOW:

1. Divorce Certificate
2. Decree of Divorce

*THE CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE CAN BE REQUESTED FROM THE VITAL RECORDS OFFICE IN THE STATE WHERE YOU WHERE YOU DIVORCED. THE CERTIFICATE NEEDS TO BE TRANSLATED IN TO ARABIC AND THE TRANSLATION SHOULD BE NOTARIZED BY AN ARABIC NOTARY PUBLIC. NEXT YOU WILL FOLLOW THE SAME STEPS AS YOU DID FOR THE AFFIDAVIT ABOVE. SEND IT THE SECRETARY OF STATE, THEN TO THE US DEPT OF STATE, THEN TO THE EGYPTIAN EMBASSY.

*THE DECREE OF DIVORCE NEEDS TO BE REQUESTED FROM THE COURT WHERE YOU WERE DIVORCED. REQUEST A 'TRIPLE SEAL' FOR THIS DOCUMENT. THIS TERM MAYBE DIFFERENT IN EACH STATE. JUST LET THE CLERK AT THE COURT KNOW THAT YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE THE DOCUMENT AUTHENTICATED BY THE SECRETARY OF STATE, AND ASK THE CLERK WHAT KIND OF SERVICE HE CAN PROVIDE, WHETHER ITS NOTARIZING OR PUTTING A SEAL ON THE DOCUMENT. THE DECREE NEEDS TO BE TRANSLATED IN TO ARABIC AS WELL AND NEEDS TO BE NOTARIZED IN FRONT OF AN ARABIC NOTARY PUBLIC. THE NEXT STEP IS THE SAME AS ABOVE. SEND BOTH VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT TO THE SECRETARY OF YOUR STATE, THEN TO THE US DEPT OF STATE, THEN TO THE EGYPTIAN EMBASSY.

***ALL OF THESE DOCUMENTS MAY NEED TO BE CERTIFIED BY THE EGYPTIAN MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS IN CAIRO.

****WHEN YOU HAVE COMPLETED ALL OF THESE STEPS, MAIL THESE COPY THE DOCUMENTS FOR YOUR RECORD. THEN SEND THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS TO YOUR FIANCE IN EGYPT. DO NOT SEND ANY COPIES, ONLY THE ORIGINALS. HAVE HIM/HER TAKE IT TO THE MINISTRY OF JUSTICE TO CONFIRM THAT IT IS ACCEPTABLE.

WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
HERE ARE THE EGYPTIAN EMBASSY IN THE U.S.A.

Egypt's Conuslates in the US and their jurisdiction:

Egyptian Consulate- Washington, D.C.
3521 International court, N.W.
Washington, D. C. 20008
E-Mail: Embassy@egyptembdc.org
Tel: 1 (202) 966-6342
Fax: 1 (202) 244-4319
Covered States: Delaware-Florida-Georgia-Maryland- North and South Carolina- Virginia-Washington, DC- West Virginia

Egyptian Consulate- New York City
1110 Second Avenue
New York, N. Y. 10022
E-mail: Egypteg@aol.com
Tel: 1 (212) 759-7120/7121/7122
Fax: 1 (212) 308-7643
Covered States: Connecticut-Maine-Massachusetts-New Hampshire-New Jersey- Ohio-Pennsylvania-Puerto Rico-Rhode Island-Vermont-New York

Egyptian Consulate- San Francisco
3001 Pacific Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94115
E-mail: Egypt@egy2000.com
Tel: 1(415) 346-9700/9702/9352
Fax: 1(415) 346-9481
Covered States: Alaska-Arizona-California-Idaho-Hawaii-Montana-Nevada-Oregon-Washington-Wyoming-Utah

Egyptian Consulate-Houston
1990 Post Oak Blvd., Suite # 2180
Houston, Texas 77056
Tel: 1(713) 961-4915
Fax:1(713) 961-3868
Covered States: Alabama-Arkansas-Colorado-Kansas-Louisiana-Mississppi-Missouri-New Mexico-Oklahoma-Tennessee-Texas

Egyptian Consulate-Chicago
500 N. Michigan Avenue, 19th Floor, Suite #1900
Chicago. IL 60611
Tel.: 1(312) 828-9162
Fax: 1(312) 828-9167
E-mail: eg2002@eg2002.net
Covered States: Illinois-Indiana-Iowa-Kentucky-Michigan-Minnesota-Nebraska-North and South Dakota –Wisconsin

delboy
Member # 13547

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for delboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi there . you probably can get an afradavit from the american embassy in cairo which is what the british done the embassy checks up on you in any case so start there
Posts: 3 | From: hurghada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 10 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by delboy:
hi there . you probably can get an afradavit from the american embassy in cairo which is what the british done the embassy checks up on you in any case so start there

[Big Grin] Johnny-come-Lately [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by delboy:

Delboy you might want to read up on the new material on the US Embassy website http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/acs12.htm...its not even new anymore its about 2 months old now.
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard from a friend in Cairo if you turn up at the Ministry with an American passport they turn you away. Don't care what papers you have, don't even look. They are waiting to be told they can marry Americans.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
I just talked to a lawyer in Cairo and asked him if he knew a solution to the problem going on in Egypt. He explained to me that the U.S. Embassy and the Egyptian Gov't are having problems. Apparently their is too much fraud and alot of divorces going on. He said alot of Egyptian men are marrying these American women and getting divorced after their green card. So it seems that the U.S. Embassy is drawing the picture to make us think that it's all the Egyptian Gov'ts doing. The lawyer told me if I can get this affidavit from the U.S.A, then I could get married. The original affidavit wasn't really issued by the U.S. Embassy, it was only notarized by them. So, I am assuming the same thing can be done in the states if the proper authentications are carried out.

Step 1: Notarize the statement in front of notary public.

Step 2: Send the statement to your Secretary of State.

Step 3: Send it to the U.S. Dept of State

Step 4: Send it to the Egyptian Embassy.

*If you have been divorced, I recommend requesting a certificate of divorce from your states vital records office. Follow the same steps above to get the certificate authenticated, although you dont have to get it notarized, only step 2 to 4.

This is my idea. I am going to try it. I will keep you all posted if it works or not. Inshallah it will. If you are interested in trying it yourself too, send me a message and I will email you the affidavit. Once I get the arabic translation, I will post that too inshallah.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
You still aren't getting the picture, if you turn up at the ministry they will not look at your papers but your passport. Once they see it is American they are turning you away.

Full Stop

Americans can not get married in Egypt at the moment

--------------------

WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
You still aren't getting the picture, if you turn up at the ministry they will not look at your papers but your passport. Once they see it is American they are turning you away.

Full Stop

Americans can not get married in Egypt at the moment

I see the picture you are drawing, trust me, its very clear. Akshar no offense, but I dont listen to everything I read. I would rather my fiance go up there to be turned away, instead of hearing from someone I don't even know. I dont base my sole decision on things I read in this forum, if I did I would just be confused.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com