EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Finding an apt during Ramadan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finding an apt during Ramadan
egyptbound
Member # 13703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptbound         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I am planning on moving to Cairo (specifically the Dokki neighborhood) during the midst of Ramadan. Will it be impossible to find an apt during this time? Should I just wait until Ramadan ends, or will it be OK as long as I search during the night?

I have never been to Cairo before, but I have heard that it is impossible to get anything accomplished during the day outside of tourist areas. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank You!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beleive you are 100% wrong
In Egypt you can do any thing at any time ,, at any period,, during Ramdan or outside Ramdan , day or night time , at tourstic areas or non-tourstic area...
You might need to pay some tips/bakshis .. whatever you call it to make things move faster for you ,, this all what you need ,, flat hunting in cairo is very easy ,, 10s of thouthands of available flats ,, only depends on your budget and how much you are willing to pay .
Good luck

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time that you will have difficulty doing anything in Cairo during Ramadan will be for about two hours before and after sunset when people will be going home to break their fast and then either praying or recovering from over-indulging. Before midday is also difficult for some activities, such as the shops, but after people have broken their fast, many of them are open again until the early hours of the morning.

It depends how you want to find an apartment, if through an estate agent, you will be best contacting them between 10.00 am and 3.00 pm, but if you want to go round the streets asking bawabs (doormen) with someone who speaks Arabic that you trust, you can do that during the daytime or any time after 2 hours after sunset.

Good luck.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptbound
Member # 13703

Icon 7 posted      Profile for egyptbound         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
south_london_male & newcomer:

Thank you very much for your responses! I was hoping that the articles/books I had read were exaggerating or wrong, because I do not want to linger outside of Egypt longer than I have to! [Smile]

"It depends how you want to find an apartment, if through an estate agent, you will be best contacting them between 10.00 am and 3.00 pm, but if you want to go round the streets asking bawabs (doormen) with someone who speaks Arabic that you trust, you can do that during the daytime or any time after 2 hours after sunset."

Thank you for the wonderful advice! I am currently studying MSA, and will receive instruction in speaking Egyptian Arabic within the first few months of arriving, so hiring an estate agent at first would work out best.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com