EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What do you miss from your home (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What do you miss from your home
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that over the last few weeks with some of the girls from ES going to live in Egypt that there are certain things that we can't live with out, those items that we can only get in our home country or you can get them in Egypt but they are so expensive.

So to all those that are living there or to the ones that are planning on living there....what items do you miss, what items would you bring with you.....you get the idea!

Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do I miss from home? Good question. I miss standing in a straight line and waiting my turn.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hmozachsown
Member # 14872

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hmozachsown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you so much for this thread this will be so helpful isA. I am leaving on the 6th and I am having a horrible time trying to fathom fitting my whole life into two suitcases and a carryon.

Right now I am just bringing clothes, essentials for personal care, one painting that has sentimental value, a few family pics and momentos.
As for starting my new life what I determined was most important to me to creating a "home" not jsut a house was a really nice quilt for us. I am sure you can get them there, and maybe the quality would be better, but it was the thing that really mattered to making it a "home " to me.

I would love to hear what everyone else misses so I can know what I am forgetting to bring LOL!

Posts: 172 | From: Cairo/Ismailia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss really stupid stuff.
Libraries, Crab legs, Reese's, Walmart, Home Depot, certain cheeses,
knowing where exactly to shop for what I want, knowing where to find a good mechanic, plumber, electrician,
Being able to communicate easily,
Driving rules.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borders, Barnes & Noble, Lowes, Home Depot, Panera Bread, FROZEN MARGARITAS, and I never thought I would say this, but.....WalMart. And parking lots. Driving.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
big chocolate bars, british electric plugs (i've nearly been blown up a few times), my music, ben and jerry's ice cream, cold weather, clean streets, cornish pasties!

nothing essential really..

Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linsey:
big chocolate bars, british electric plugs (i've nearly been blown up a few times), my music, ben and jerry's ice cream, cold weather, clean streets, cornish pasties!

i have never eattin ben ans jerrys is it good??
i love peacn cluster...

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
quote:
Originally posted by linsey:

i have never eattin ben ans jerrys is it good??
i love peacn cluster...

oh my god.... ben and jerrys is better than... everything!!!!!! those two men deserve a knight hood!! my personal favorite flavour is phish food.... vanilla and chocolate ice cream with camel and marshmellow and chocolate pieces!!!!! lush!!!!
Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
everyone and his dog knows I miss Warburtons bread [Big Grin] silly really coz I never ate a lot of bread when I was back in UK.

As jean says though, I miss knowing where to buy certain things like I still havent found where to buy lighter fuel for a gas or zippo lighter! I miss Asda, Sainsburys, Tesco, Greggs cheese and onion pasties, frozen meals [Big Grin] Walkers crisps, dark chocolate, real stationery shops, magazines even though I rarely read them, I miss driving with ordered rules, I miss rain wind and snow, being cold and snuggling up, standing in a queue, I miss being able to communicate properly, conkers, acorns, parks, B & Q, thank God im going back in 2 weeks YIPPEEEEEEEEEEE [Big Grin]

I had visited so many times before I moved I lost count, but I still missed bringing much of the stuff I miss having. You never know what it is until it pops in your head after being here a few months.

hope I can remember how to drive [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NME, english milk, richmond sausages, certain clothes shops, off licenses that sell a variety, my fave bread and my fave cheese.

I must admit I do love Ben and Jerrys as well.. I love the banana one.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooh yes MILK!!!

M & S prawn salad sandwiches, any sort of sandwich with real bread and real butter.....ahh Hovis [Big Grin] nah dont like Hovis bread but Granary bread!!! Tiger Bread!!! French Bread. Muller fruit corners, Ambrosia rice pudding, eggs in a box, Caramac, Radio Times, Emmerdale, Corrie, variety of cheeses, Wotsits, yyyaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy im going home [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice thread Miss Sharm
Can't bring most of this with me, but do miss these things alot.

The Cardinals and Bluejays.
Watching squirrels trying to outmaneuver the "squirrel proof" birdfeeders.
Going to the mailbox.
Getting Birthday Cards in the mail.
Insinkerator
Built in icemaker in refrigerator.
Fireworks at Disney and Eola Park
Christmas Trees and yards/homes fully decorated at Christmas
Saturday morning garage sales
Rhubarb
A garage equipped with all the DIY stuff
Heath Bars
Decent Chinese and Mexican Food
Neighbors who speak English so I can understand what they are saying when they are fighting
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Branston pickle, marmite, cheddar cheese, clean streets, orderly traffic, not being stared at, good shop to buy CDs, Body Shop toiletries, non permanent hair dye, cheddars, twiglets, pasties, fish and chips, a good curry house.........bacon sandwiches, sausages....quiet , ...
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
French mustard... Swimming baths... Big Issue sellers lol...
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
[Razz] oooooh fish and chips!!

I dont and never will miss Big Issue sellers cheeky [Mad]

I miss Sundays [Frown]

--------------------

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

I miss Sundays [Frown]

they dont have fish in egypt and potatoe chips??
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
lol... BIG SHOES... I was just trying to think of something British and the Big Issue people came to mind!

I'm not a chip shop girl although I do occassionally like a big chip butty.

Blossom Hill, pub lunches... smoke free zones!

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheekyferret:
lol... BIG SHOES...

Are you a little overendowed in that area?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er.. "Big shoes" = "big issue" - sounds the same the way they kinda say it [Big Grin]

I was feeling a bit like there was something I was missing this week and I pinned it down to a long walk I used to do in Walthamstow where I lived - down by the reservoirs. I used to do it 3 or 4 times a month on weekends. So I guess what I miss is going for a long walk in a relatively peaceful green environment (but it was Walthamstow LOL so not the countryside [Big Grin] ) without the heat hitting.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura I can send you my garageful of DIY stuff if you like [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

I miss Sundays [Frown]

yes they do, but not Cod and not malt vinegar [Big Grin]
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Laura I can send you my garageful of DIY stuff if you like [Big Grin]

Hehe
I will start cleaning out the storage room now [Big Grin]
You're a doll YAH!

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nae problem Laura! You're more than welcome, it's on it's way [Wink]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Exactly SQ... BIIIIIIIIIG SHOES
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Chip shop chips are not like any other chips on the planet!
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:

[Frown]

London Fish and Chips Restaurant - opening soon in City Stars.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Looks like a day trip to see if they have mastered the English art of junk food.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must admit I nearly bought a Daily Express for 10LE a couple of days ago - it would be nice to get a normal, typical British fascist daily red top for a change instead of the worthy Al Ahram Weekly!
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I am sure I saw the Sun for sale in Luxor SQ...
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Probably - some urchin tried to flog me a copy of a 3 days old Daily Mail for 60LE in Luxor once!

Advocate - can you bring me some British newspapers please - a couple of Grauniads, Sunday Times - especially the Money Pages [Big Grin]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Were you more offended by the age, the price or the fact it was the Daily Mail lol...

I will have the Sunday Times with me if you want me to keep it for you.

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

I miss Sundays [Frown]

what does malt viniger have to do with fish and chips?
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I miss Sundays [Frown]

[Big Grin] EVERYTHING!!!!
gold grill
Member # 15641

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gold grill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I miss Sundays [Frown]

Malt
A cheaper alternative, called "non-brewed condiment," is a solution of 4-8% acetic acid colored with caramel (usually E150). There is also around 1-3% citric acid present. Non-brewed condiment is more popular in the North of England, and gained popularity with the rise of the Temperance movement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar

Posts: 91 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
nothing better on your fish and chips than malt vinegar! [Big Grin] with mushy peas of course [Big Grin]
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
more.......
Pickles, and believe it or not...I miss JUNK mail...lol. Hell, I would just love to get ANY damn mail here.
and yeah...Big sized shoes.
and I LOVE Ben and Jerry's Phish Food, and 2nd fave is NY Super Fudge Chunk...boo hoooo.
and another stupid thing - Land O Lakes, American cheese (looking for Tina)..lol.
and LAURA>>..laughing like hell at your final one bout understanding what the neighbors are arguing about...lol. Drives me bonkers, that I cannot understand them!

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh the list is too long.
All cheeses
Marmite
Marks and spencers,( all in it)
Fish and chips
the good pubs and sunday lunch.
Pies, chick and mushroon, beef and onion, cheese and onion.
Cold weather, changing of the seasons, the smells.
Clean and green.
being alone when i want, walking in the country.
Feeling free.
Wearing wht i like and feeling comfortable.
not being stared at.
Walking with my head high, not looking at the floor.
swimming in costume.
going out and having fun.
bad weather, thunder and rain in the night feeling cosey.

The most i miss is my Cats.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
more.......
Pickles, and believe it or not...I miss JUNK mail...lol. Hell, I would just love to get ANY damn mail here.
and yeah...Big sized shoes.
and I LOVE Ben and Jerry's Phish Food, and 2nd fave is NY Super Fudge Chunk...boo hoooo.
and another stupid thing - Land O Lakes, American cheese (looking for Tina)..lol.
and LAURA>>..laughing like hell at your final one bout understanding what the neighbors are arguing about...lol. Drives me bonkers, that I cannot understand them!

oooo yea white american cheese....
not the yellow..
and i still dont undertsnad the fish and chips thing with the viniger..
i know what viniger is yall but y with fish and tater chips?

DawnBev08
Member # 14964

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the smell of freshly mown grass

--------------------
free palestine

Posts: 346 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 887

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 20 years here, I still miss.....

cajun food
good chocolate
trees
being able to cross the road, without changing my underwear
not having grass to mow
Jiff peanut butter
craft supplies
Toll House chocolate chips
Barnes and Noble

Laura, most of the neighbors fights are about sex and money [Big Grin]

Posts: 143 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got the Fish and Chips thing. It's just fish and chips next to it, what's the big deal? Then again I know that many expats don't get the Egyptian obsession with "fool," so it's cool [Smile]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by lynn:
After 20 years here, I still miss.....

cajun food
good chocolate
trees
being able to cross the road, without changing my underwear
not having grass to mow
Jiff peanut butter
craft supplies
Toll House chocolate chips
Barnes and Noble

Laura, most of the neighbors fights are about sex and money [Big Grin]

im with ya on the cajun food i miss it sooo much...
and im only a day away...

advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeema:
Probably - some urchin tried to flog me a copy of a 3 days old Daily Mail for 60LE in Luxor once!

Advocate - can you bring me some British newspapers please - a couple of Grauniads, Sunday Times - especially the Money Pages [Big Grin]

....not a problem, though will probably the Mail cos that's what I read [Big Grin]

I will have the most recent Sunday Mail with me that's the day I fly and they have alot of financial stuff in that. [Smile]

Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Lynn, I definitely need to get busy on learning arabic then! [Big Grin]

JeanBean, I need big shoes too! That's why I asked cheeky about her BIG SHOE issues...lol
Have you found any shops other than Professor's that sell them?

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fish and chips is all well and good- but the fine British pie and mash (swimming in liquor of course) is better! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and i still dont undertsnad the fish and chips thing with the viniger..
i know what viniger is yall but y with fish and tater chips?

It's a British thing Tina [Smile] and even better if they are wrapped in newspaper [Smile]
Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes and so dam fantastic.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

i miss sitting on the beach where i used to live, having fish and chips and a pea fritta with salt and vinegar wrapped in paper eating it with a wooden fork!!!

I'm drooling!!

hmozachsown
Member # 14872

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hmozachsown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone miss anything non perishable or environmental?

ie what you forgot to BRING? housewares, comforts? necessities that cant be gotten there (aside from big shoes apparently? by big do you mean wide? or larger sizes and if so what qualifies as large?)

Posts: 172 | From: Cairo/Ismailia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
im drooling too.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com