EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Bowaba Ota

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bowaba Ota
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 7 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The carpenter came to fix my back door (change the lock because the key had broken off in the lock with it locked shut) and I asked him how much he would charge to fit the 'bowaba ota' and showed it to him (the cat flap) - the look on his face was a picture! If he had thought bubbles over his head it couldn't have said more clearly 'what will these crazy foreigners come up with next'.

He turned it round and round in his hands - so I guess when he does come back I'll have to stand and watch to make sure he doesn't fit it upside down. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old bag just for the record and I am not picking on you here, If I hear some one says BOWABA OTA then I have to laugh .. it is called in arabic BAB LL OTA , also is it BAWABA not BOWABA and it meansthe very big gate , usually for the entrance of the very big building/Palace , by the way there is a bus stop in Cairo called ELBAWABA it is in old cair area , and it meant BAWABA of OLD CAIRO
Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure only your cats will get through the cat flap!! [Wink]

تيجرليلي

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShirleyValentinesFantasyLives
Member # 14207

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShirleyValentinesFantasyLives         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good you point this out SLM, but in a nice way? Im SVFL wife - just stole his laptop for a minute!
we all get mix up mistakes. You know about the KOS Lettuce in UK? well I asked for one in Egypt - all shop look at me and husband nearly choke on his drink ! he said, why you ask for "beaver lettuce?" hah hah I never make that mistake again!

Posts: 98 | From: Firmly On The Ground | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She can hire Door man ,, opps I mean DOOR CAT in this case his name in arabic should be OTAB
Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Otab - do you think this profession has a serious future in Egypt?? [Wink]

تيجرليلي

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Shirly ,, it is alwaus fun when egyptian hear foreign ones talk in Egypt ,, speically when they try to talk arebic and say to the women INTA and to man INTY.. I used to have in the flat above my Flat in Maadi in Cairo american woman who lived there for many years and worked as english teacher in school there, any way for more than 5 years there she never changed the mix of INTA and INTY that was really fun,,
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Tiger Well depnds on how many flats old bag will move to and how man BAB LL OTA she will install.lol, I hope she does not keep saying BOWABA , otherwise she will need cat flap of the size of the main door...loll
Member # 14207

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShirleyValentinesFantasyLives         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes I have done these things many times. my husband gets fed up trying to help me say some things right. right now hes fed up I stole the laptop [Smile] I give it back in a minute!
Arabic is a very beautiful language, but very difficult if you are not born with it. I cannot ask for chair in arabic without saying the dirty word instead! its too close for me. I try hard because i had Egyptian grand father and my son speaks reads writes arabic perfectly as well. he and my husband have brilliant conversations that I cant understand at all!

Posts: 98 | From: Firmly On The Ground | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ShirleyValentinesFantasyLives:
I cannot ask for chair in arabic without saying the dirty word instead! its too close for me.

You need to pronounce the 'r' more!! [Wink]

تيجرليلي

Member # 14207

Rate Member
I cant - I have a slight lisp problem with R. but I know an Egyptian like that, and he cant ask for chair without getting laughed at either. Strangely though, it seems more acceptable from him than from me!
Whoops, I really better give him his laptop back now, hes looking sad..........

samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by south_london_male:
Old bag just for the record and I am not picking on you here, If I hear some one says BOWABA OTA then I have to laugh .. it is called in arabic BAB LL OTA , also is it BAWABA not BOWABA and it meansthe very big gate , usually for the entrance of the very big building/Palace , by the way there is a bus stop in Cairo called ELBAWABA it is in old cair area , and it meant BAWABA of OLD CAIRO

This is too funny. Who will be coming through Shanta's cat door?................ [Big Grin]
Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mee oowww...... [Wink]

shall I get my cat woman outfit on [Big Grin]

web page

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Samak, well Old bag has to tell us was it BAB or BAWBA? so we can tell the number of those who will come as well..lol..
Catwoman outfit? well I liked that movie , the cat woman by Halle Berry

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by south_london_male:
Shirly ,, it is alwaus fun when egyptian hear foreign ones talk in Egypt ,, speically when they try to talk arebic and say to the women INTA and to man INTY..

Err ... I often get this the other way around, some people address me with "enta" and the male form of the verb. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
By the way BAWABA is also the female name for BAWAb , so you can cal the door woman: ELBAWABA,
So when you talk about her you say ELBAWAB JANE or ELBAWBA AMY or ELBAWBA Valery..etc .. so is your BAWABA called OTA? lol

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
This is very right Malika,, I have seen that happening , some of the egyptians in Egypt think that the foreign ones as long as he say it in that way then thye would only understand itin this way ,, most of ELKHARTIAH in Egypt do that ( sure you know what this word mean.lol)
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL - when I'm on the microbus I always say the name of my place, then "bowaba kabeera" (because there are 3 entrances) baw-aba (with baw rhyming with raw) than bo-aba (like 'bo peep' of sheep fame).
Difficult to transliterate the vowel sounds I use!

Nov 4
Member # 15888

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nov 4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a way to get a "bell" on a cat door like when you walk into a store a bell rings letting the clerk know a customer has entered?

I have seen this here but hooked up to a home security system.

My ex asked about a cat door so a cat could come and go and not need a cat litter box. :rollingeyes:

My daughter got a pair of birds as pets, one died within weeks so out of mercy the other bird went back to the pet shop.

Her highness wants two pure white long haired cats, persians or himalayans it doesn't matter. I can see her now in full Dr, evil from "austin powers" regalia. Very bad image in my head.

I have a main coon that she loves and wouldn't mind a red main coon, but hell no to a persian.

Cat door forget it, some little girls would get stuck in it every day with a few more little girls kick her in the butt.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeema:
The carpenter came to fix my back door (change the lock because the key had broken off in the lock with it locked shut) and I asked him how much he would charge to fit the 'bowaba ota' and showed it to him (the cat flap) - the look on his face was a picture! If he had thought bubbles over his head it couldn't have said more clearly 'what will these crazy foreigners come up with next'.

He turned it round and round in his hands - so I guess when he does come back I'll have to stand and watch to make sure he doesn't fit it upside down. [Big Grin]

...I can't believe you STILL havent fitted that catflap! I brought it out to you in February!! [Eek!] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shanta, is the security before the cat flap good? A guy here was robbed by someone kicking in the kitchen extractor fan, a cat flap would be easy. Hubby also told me there are some willing to cut the lower half of your front door off if you dont have locks top and bottom.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Yes, security is pretty good round here.

I used to live in Walthamstow so I know about things like burglars who remove entire window frames from the walls instead of breaking windows or simply saw round the locks in doors to get them open.

I've sat in bed when I was off sick and seen a hand come through the curtains thinking he was gonna break in (but not noticing the security bars [Big Grin] did he run when I screamed 'who the h** do you think you are' in my best 'death metal' growl [Big Grin]

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol bowaba ota, that's so funny [Smile]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by advocate:
quote:

...I can't believe you STILL havent fitted that catflap! I brought it out to you in February!! [Eek!] [Big Grin]
That is exactly how long it takes to find a carpenter here. But we don't mind we have all the time in the world [Big Grin]
Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
quote:
Yes, security is pretty good round here.

I used to live in Walthamstow so I know about things like burglars who remove entire window frames from the walls instead of breaking windows or simply saw round the locks in doors to get them open.

I've sat in bed when I was off sick and seen a hand come through the curtains thinking he was gonna break in (but not noticing the security bars [Big Grin] did he run when I screamed 'who the h** do you think you are' in my best 'death metal' growl [Big Grin]

But now Shanta has a very big cat door for cat burglars. [Smile]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Well the carpenter came back and fitted the new bowaba ota [Big Grin]

http://i36.tinypic.com/2vskodt.jpg

I knew I should have watched him put it in ;(

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

We have a bowaba ota - we have a bowaba ota - my friend's husband came and fitted it today - Advocate you will be pleased to know that it came in almost exactly on the year [Big Grin]
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy
FINALLY !
MOF??

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

La, a boy from Shubra [Big Grin]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Finally indeed! Just make you don't have more cats and whatever else coming into your apartment!!
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by samakwish:
This is too funny. Who will be coming through Shanta's cat door?................ [Big Grin]

careful there, Samaka and Otta don't go well together!
Besides, can you peeps stop saying coming in and entering in conjuction with cat and pussy, some of us have a filthy mind around here [Wink]

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Shanta can you find a plumber now please? It must be 8 months to the day that I started looking for a plumber in 6th October. Maybe it would be a good idea to move flat and start again. [Big Grin]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

You mean the one who came in October and said 'I'll come back tomorrow at midday' isn't coming back? [Frown] [Wink]
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have a word with the plumbers father [Wink] We'll be round in a couple of weeks!
Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SQ, I almost fell off the sofa when I read you have actually, finally had the cat flap fitted! Can I do the official opening when I come at the end of the month?! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We wanted to test it, but could'nt get hold of a cat to shove through it......lol
Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by advocate:
SQ, I almost fell off the sofa when I read you have actually, finally had the cat flap fitted! Can I do the official opening when I come at the end of the month?! [Big Grin]

Of course [Wink]
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malak:
We wanted to test it, but could'nt get hold of a cat to shove through it......lol

Hehe, I know this part really well . . . I finally got one of mine shoved thru my cat door and the other 3 were totally intrigued by her going back and forth . . . If she learns something the others will imitate her so that was how I got all 4 using the door.
Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn it!!! [Roll Eyes]

I just came back and forgot to check out your 'flap' [Eek!]

Advocate you have mail [Smile]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
We have a bowaba ota - we have a bowaba ota - my friend's husband came and fitted it today - Advocate you will be pleased to know that it came in almost exactly on the year [Big Grin]

Goodnes me! makes you feel proud to be living in the 21st century to witness this historic moment when one of the greatest problems facing humanity has finally been solved. Yep, that's the problem of bawaba otta.
Now we can move further down the list to other problems like global warming, hunger and world poverty, knowing deep in our hearts that never again will man and otta face this horrendous problem.
Ladies and gentlemen, I hereby declare that in the year of our lord 2009, and during the reign of her majesty the Queen "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith", that the problem of bawaba otta has finally been eradicated.
Ladies and gentlemen, my Lords and Ladies, we are standing on the threshold of a dream, we are witnessing history in the making.

One small step for Otta, when giant leap for mankind.

Now if you excuse me, I'll go skin the bloody cat!

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"One small step for Otta, when giant leap for mankind."

Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa he3 he3 he33333!!

--------------------
Same crap...Different toilet

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ngeg:

yep, you've got me there!! that was a typo,
and I thought I was the only one who was pedantic [Smile]

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ngeg:

here you go
"One small step for Otta, one giant leap for mankind"

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

chaos theory RN - have you not heard of the 'quantum weather butterfly'? Flaps its wings in Brazil and causes outlandish weather in the Himilayas?

"the ancient sages say: do not despise the snake for having no horns for who is to say he will not become a dragon" (The Water Margin)

Who is to say that the fact that my cats (or me) may or may not be in a certain place at a certain time due to having a bowaba otta may not, in some small way, alter the entire history of humankind?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

[Wink]

samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
OMG I have two plumbers in my flat..... I can't believe my luck. If only I had known the right person to ask in the first place! Soon I may have hot water and two working toilets, I am soooo excited. [Big Grin]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

get their phone numbers PLEASE!!!

Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

Who is to say that the fact that my cats (or me) may or may not be in a certain place at a certain time due to having a bowaba otta may not, in some small way, alter the entire history of humankind?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

[Wink]

yep, I am familiar with chaos theory. and yes you're right about the potential of you or anybody for that matter affecting world history. Probably the 9/11 thingy started by a chance meeting between some of the guys, and see how it turned out to shape the world for the past 8 years.
and no I wasn't in any way making fun of you, "may my tongue be cut" ya shanta. There's another euphemism for your other thread about the lion in the well!!

Bawaba otta, lol, that is sooo funny. I mean in Arabic it sounds hilarious. May the otta enjoy its bawaba for many years to come.
Take care.

samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Done lol
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

mish moshkila RN [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com