EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » What to wear?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to wear?
Gounagal
Member # 15070

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gounagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone been married, or been to a civil wedding in the Ministry of Justice? Is it purely signing of contracts in an office, and what should a girl wear? Is a simple white dress appropriate here?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeans and t-shirt.
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnInLondon
Member # 15821

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnInLondon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just signing a contract in an old & boring office, nbbody bothers to dress up.
Posts: 26 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gounagal
Member # 15070

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gounagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously? I wasn't planning to dress up as such, we're having a wedding party later when I'll wear my gown, but I just wanted to make a BIT of an effort and just wear a simple dress. Not the thing to do?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lazoughly place is a dump. You will look out of place in anything more than jeans and t-shirt. The more wrinkled, the better. I am NOT kidding.
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Low cut, push-up bra.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont you think that you deserve a nice wedding ceremony with gowns and flowers and music and stuff?
Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gounagal
Member # 15070

Rate Member
Momma, please read my earlier post - we have a wedding reception and religious service planned where I will wear my gown. The first part we will complete is the civil marriage. It's important to me, regardless of it being in a run-down office and worthy of more than jeans...
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did read it.

just hope your not the one paying for it all. good luck to you =)

Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gounagal
Member # 15070

Rate Member
Wow. Bitterness ahoy. I am not paying a penny, just the way it should be, the grrom knows his responsibilities, I hope that appeases you a little.
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can wear what you want but honestly save your nice dress for later and the pics! It is not a place to get dressed up!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At all.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't mind standing out... then wear whatever you are happy in. Hell, its your special day, and just because you are in Egypt shouldn't mean you should make any sacrifices on that.
But, just know you will stand out, if that will make you feel uncomfortable, then go for just a nice top and trousers, but if you will love the attention, then hey, bling it up [Wink]

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slewth
Member # 16166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slewth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps some nice slacks and a nice blouse for the civil ceremony. Who cares if people stare?
In doing this vs just jeans and a t-shirt, you are showing respect to the sanctity of the legality of the union.

Posts: 199 | From: ...under the radar.... | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Wear a cabbage.
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wore jeans. I saw one girl when I was there wearing a wedding gown she had even brought her own photographer. The waiting area is really not nice like everyone else is saying it is not worth wearing nice clothes. You will spend the greater part of the time, maybe even hours, waiting then you just go in and sign your contracts and fingerprint your pictures.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gounagal
Member # 15070

Rate Member
Thanks for the useful advice, although not wearing my full wedding gown, I have a second very simple dress that I will wear. We're having a quiet celebratory meal with family and friends afterwards before we get fired up for the big party.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehe - sorry Gounagal - I was wondering if you were an Arsenal fan and I've suddenly realised its Gouna (Red Sea) not Gooner [Big Grin]
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naya
Member # 13958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goungal, enjoy your wedding and try not to think about the procedure at the Ministry of Justice - it is really nothing lika a nice ceremony, it's just a pure bureaucratic thing that you have to endure if you are a foreigner and want to be officially married in Egypt.

I would even suggest that you get a lawyer to handle things for you to avoid any hassle. Because I just hate bureaucracy, it really worked well for me - the lawyer did everything and we just went in the office for 30 seconds to sign the papers and do fingerprints, all the rest was sitting in the waiting room joking with our witnesses.

Actually, nobody even said a word to me other than the lawyer - so nobody asked if I want to get married [Smile]

And yes, I was in my jeans too, changed later for lunch and the party was a few days later. And the party is what really makes you married in the eyes of everybody, so there is of course the need to dress up [Smile]

Posts: 77 | From: egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xblueskyx
Member # 12289

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xblueskyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not a nice place at all, but i did get asked if i wanted to marry him, but the man was joking around as well,the funny part was the man trying to say i get 1 pound if we divorce lol, my hubby said no more than that the man then said ok 10 pounds lol finally they agreed on 100 pounds sterling,thank god my hubby thought i worth more than 1 pound lol
Posts: 426 | From: england | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shisha-Master:
Low cut, push-up bra.

Next time.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what are you wearing when you and cosmo and me met feb13,14,15 Karah_Mia [Smile] cant wait girls
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by dolphin redsea:
what are you wearing when you and cosmo and me met feb13,14,15 Karah_Mia [Smile] cant wait girls

Black lace dammit.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aw shucks i was going to wear black , ok ill go with the red lace [Big Grin] hey cosmo girl what ya wearing [Confused]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephie_ELH
Member # 16197

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephie_ELH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wore a dress over jeans. Just make sure that you are covered up appropriately and you should be fine. Dont wear white, it will get manky in the waiting room or you will dye it blue before you can wash your hands afterwards!good luck dear
Posts: 195 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by naya:

I would even suggest that you get a lawyer to handle things for you to avoid any hassle. Because I just hate bureaucracy, it really worked well for me - the lawyer did everything and we just went in the office for 30 seconds to sign the papers and do fingerprints, all the rest was sitting in the waiting room joking with our witnesses.

LOL what a waste of money LOL
Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naya
Member # 13958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:
quote:
Originally posted by naya:

LOL what a waste of money LOL
Not really, becasue the lawyer did everything and we spent there only 30 minutes and got our papers in 2 days with all the official stamps from various places - everything the embassy needed to make it legal in my country.

And not a waste of money for me at all, because my husband paid for it [Smile] It was just another way of him thinking about my comfort [Smile] MOJ is really not a place you would want to hang around for any more than 30 minutes ...

Posts: 77 | From: egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mira Sol
Member # 15569

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mira Sol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gounagal:
Wow. Bitterness ahoy. I am not paying a penny, just the way it should be, the grrom knows his responsibilities, I hope that appeases you a little.

looooooooooooooooooooool
Posts: 929 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gounagal
Member # 15070

Rate Member
Thought I'd check back in and give you all an update 8 months on.....

Contrary to the advice, I wore a simple white dress, he wore a suit. What a difference! The t-shirt and jeans brigade sat outside in a scummy waiting room, we were taken into a private room and treated with the utmost respect.

Staff came to personally congratulate us and commend us for taking it seriously. We had a female mazoun who made the whole experience really lovely (despite it being a pretty grubby office).

Two weeks later we had the most amazing day of our lives...a wedding ceremony in a beautiful garden with 100 guests, live music, great food and of course I wore the actual wedding gown this time.

All arranged and paid for by my husband and loved by friends and family. Couldn't have wished for a more perfect day. So, to all the haters, sorry to disappoint, to those with kind comments, thank you, we're still very happily married and loving every second [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com