EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Jealousy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jealousy?
locale
Member # 12632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for locale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking to an Egyptian friend of mine and she believes Egyptian men have a tendency towards jealousy. If you are in a relationship with, or have been in a rlationship with, an Egyptian man, what is your opinion?
Posts: 210 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i dont know if we can generalize- but mine is.

used to get so mad if i had any guy friends, if i hung out with guy friends (even if there were other girls around), he even got mad at me b/c my study group (assigned by the proffessor) was made up of 2 guys and myself.

it gets kinda silly- but i think its because in egypt, girls and guys dont interact socially on the same level that they do here. I cant stop from having male class mates, or male study partners, or male co-workers.

Now that hes gone to school and worked here, hes loosened up a little bit.

the downside of the whole thing is that its made ME a more jealous person. [Frown]

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's insecurity based jealousy.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it? or do you think theyre taught that thats how they should feel?
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really think it's insecurity with a little bit of empty pride. The empty pride comes in when their woman is "caught" commiserating with another male even if it's innocent. That would hurt their "pride". I think it's more learned behavior than taught.

I will add, sometimes these men fake the jealousy to convince their woman of just how much they *love* them [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Egyptian husband's not very jealous.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would say less jealous and more protective
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little surfer girl
Member # 12820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little surfer girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fiance can occasionally be a bit jealous. However, he also knows me and knows that I trust people easily, so ultimately, I think his goal is to be protective. And, I am thankful for that. [Smile]
Posts: 178 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i would say less jealous and more protective
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto! Mine is a little jealous. He has perfect balance. I can keep him on his toes, but he's never out of line. Same for me though. But he is definately more protective than anything. LOL
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locale
Member # 12632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for locale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah! Very good answers! I can see the relevance in all the replies. I can totally see it from different views now. [Smile]
Posts: 210 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Egypt jealousy is not viewed as such a dire negative a trait as in Western Europe and the States. People in Egypt are more quick to admit that they are jealous because it isn't seen as such a huge flaw in character, and it is accepted that most people in love feel jealousy.
This goes for women as well as men, by the way. One of my best friends has an INSANELY jealous wife, while he is pretty cool in that regard. Both are Egyptian, both are very attractive and faithful to their relationship. The wife is more extreme than most Egyptians (she even has a fit when *men* compliment her husband) but they both claim that she is extremely good at making up for it [Razz]
Anyway, one can expect a fair amount of open jealousy from our culture. Come to think of it, that goes for everywhere I have been in the Mediterranean.

Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locale
Member # 12632

Wow, thanks for the explaination, Graf! It didn't occur to me that it could be a 'general' trait rather than a men's trait. I appreciate your thoughts. [Smile]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ana Huna, I met Egyptian guys, who would develop a jealousy issue on the first or second date. It's like they had to protect me from the evil eyes of other guys which was really annoying. I wasn't anyones property.

But yes, you can find bitter jealousness in both genders. And I will think twice next time before I ask an Egyptian woman how her husband is doing. It was so wrong of me!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think many Egyptian guys perceive being jealous as being a true man. Sometimes the masculinity issue seems to overshadow the "essence" or core of jealousy which is betrayal in any form. Hard to imagine any indication of betrayal in the way a woman looks at the old milkman or a danger of temptation if a man bumps into a gal on a busy street, which events can "normally" trigger an aggressive jealousy outburst. I suspect quite often jealousy has to do with possessiveness and not the pure love as it is claimed by the jealous tyrants. It can also be an indication of deep emotional insecurity rooted in low self-esteem rather than direct betrayal phobia.

Ps. My husband is very jealous, but only because I am a:
a) Satan
b) Men Eater

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree jealously isn't viewed the same way in Egypt as it is in the states, we have a tendency to view jealously as the catalyst for oppression and the next step is, of course, abuse.

That doesn't seem to be the case here...it's more of an admirable jealously. That being said, my husband isn't VERY jealous, but I also don't put myself in situations to test him to see if he would be. As a foreigner, when we walk past a group of men (men like to stare) my husband has acquired the death stare back at them, and so I know he is jealous in some ways, but he doesn't prevent me from having friends or doing something away from him, etc.

Once his cousin was getting engaged and she wanted me to accompany her to the place where they spend 8 hours to do your hair and makeup and whatever else they do, and he asked me to please not to uncover while I am there, even if it's all women. I agreed but asked why? He answered that because they are not used to seeing someone who looks like me a lot and with my very long and honey colored hair it might cause bad eyes (that term again [Roll Eyes] ) and he was afraid for me.

Of course it meant nothing but paranoia to me, but I understood it as a type of protection and took it as he probably meant it...tried to repress my defensive western desire to start the 'who the **** do you think you are to tell me what to do?'....at least for the day [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for spasm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are veiled ,smuckers !?

--------------------
painter

Posts: 92 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jealousy is like salt and pepper, if you make the salt and pepper within enjoyable amount for sure you enjoy your food, but if you have a lot of salt in your food than you can not eat it…

Love is care, care means you will be happy for her happiness and sad for her sadness, you will always like to see her success,
Normal for sure you feel jealous and that part of love and care.

If you are not jealous means you do not care than the love is gone away
Yes it goes both sides male and female and have nothing about insecure because insecure come with no trust not with jealous but remember when the salt are too much than it turn to be night mare not love.
sure we as egyptian have hot blood and we can easy get so jealous [Smile]

Posts: 233 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locale
Member # 12632

Such a perfect reply...thank you ahly. [Smile]
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahly
what a perfect answer and so true words you have spoken
thankyou for that

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my pleasure, thank you for your kind words
Posts: 233 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good one ahly. my husband is jealous but at the same time he trusts me and our love and is trying to work on the jealousy thing. i think its romantic
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Mrs. Azzam

Thank you for your kind words and yes there is some time mixes between words such jealous, trust and control and each one way different from each other... means no trust have nothing to do with jealous or control… and the same reverse.

Care = Love “some time feel jealous salt and pepper of the relation”

Trust = creating by commitments and same rule for both side. if no trust that can creat insecure.

Respect = no one can respect other unless he or she has respect them self than the respect for the partner come.

same vision for life+ same goal = if not than can be each one trying to control the other and lead him or her in only way he or she think and any other way are wrong

That why I say people mix the meaning of the word in wrong sentence.

If you ask your self if he never feels jealous about any thing concerning you, that means he does not care any more than where love went?

Wish you both all the happiness in the earth

Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahly,

Once again I am truly grateful that people like you exist. Thank you for taking your time to try and educate some of us here. I for one appreciate your words and carefully read whatever you write. "Same vision for life+ same goal" that is simply one of the most important aspects in a relationship and one I believe a lot of people neglect to talk about before entering into a serious commitment. I think we assume because the mutual attraction is there then of course we want the same things, WRONG! Thank you again for bringing this to the forefront and for all your thoughtful posts.

Sincerely

Sarah

Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Sarah

Thank you so much for your nice and kind word, let say I did travel a lot and watch the behavior of people in different nationality and culture, the only true I found we all similar
And the comments words always used he tray to control me, but he has to understand I am independent woman…. And he can say the same she is strong and I can not handle her…

And the true is very simple they both never had same goal or vision for life and they feel they are in computation between each other not in life relation

Same as any sport team they all has one goal and they all play together to achieve their goal and if one went down they all give him hand to come back up and the final result always count for the whole team.
So of we have same goal and vision of life we should act the same way as any sport team than it is really life commitment.
and any other way it is just short relation and it will end sooner or later...
Wish you the best

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks ahly. [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
yes.

what completely ..
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com