EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » What have you learned?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What have you learned?
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll get the ball rolling....

I've learned . . . that having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.

I've learned . . . that being kind is more important than being right.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I`ve learned that value`s, opinions, and appreciations change by age.
I`ve learned that being right is no victory at all, and being kind isn`t either. The most important is to be able to let the other one understand...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have learned that being kind 9 times out of 10 gets abused, so it better just to be fair.

If you want security in this life, you have to make it for yourself.

You have to find happiness within yourself and cannot expect others to do it for you.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crisálida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned that eating new galaxy roasted and caramalised hazlenut chocolate bars will not make me kind or nice...just fat! and maybe sick!
Posts: 644 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned that it is LEARNT. Bad gurl smuckie [Razz]
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crisálida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if we are going to split hairs Mr Korvin...

These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Learnt is more common in British English, and learned in American English. There are a number of verbs of this type (burn, dream, kneel, lean, leap, spell, spill, spoil etc.). They are all irregular verbs, and this is a part of their irregularity.

i am so glad i learnt [Wink] english as my first language because it makes no sense at all [Big Grin]

Posts: 644 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Korvin's:
I've learned that it is LEARNT. Bad gurl smuckie [Razz]

Then you LEARNT wrong [Razz]

English Grammar lesson:-
The context that Smuckers used is the present perfect where there is an action in the past that has a result now.
This requires the use of Have + the past participle of the verb which takes an ed ending....
ie. I have learn(ed.)

When you use the simple past ie for an action that has finished it would be:-

I learnt. E.g I learnt to swim last summer.

This is quite a hard concept for an arabic speaker as you don't have it in arabic grammar.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wanderer:
Actually, if we are going to split hairs Mr Korvin...

These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Learnt is more common in British English, and learned in American English. There are a number of verbs of this type (burn, dream, kneel, lean, leap, spell, spill, spoil etc.). They are all irregular verbs, and this is a part of their irregularity.

i am so glad i learnt [Wink] english as my first language because it makes no sense at all [Big Grin]

YEAH so THERE korv... [Razz] I say it perfectly fine for my nationality...that's how I "learned" it. [Big Grin]

BTW Penny, I am a native English speaker and you even had me thinking 'huh??', or is it 'eah?', I forget. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned the meaning of "special tea" during Ramadan. Shukran Akhuya [Big Grin]
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This often crops up as a difference between American English and UK English. I have learnt is often used in UK English but both are just fine, as far as I'm concerned.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
oww all this talk of 'ed'

Its no surprise that young children learn this past tense, its so cute when they say...

I drinked it mummy
or
it swimmed in the sea
or
it runned away from me

there we are saying 'no sweetheart, it 'ran', not runned'
poor little blighters, how are they supposed to know ye olde english scholars went and changed the rules for some words!!! [Big Grin]

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...must be more confusing for American children, wondering why Shakespeare added all those pesky u's and q's!
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I love when kids add the ES for things that don't need it, like clothes, if it's more than one they say 'I need to buy some new
clothes-ES'! [Big Grin]

SWYS, Shakespeare is easy for us, we're heard it all of our lives (in some form) so it isn't foreign to our ears any more than British English is. [Smile] Somehow, we're all kind of connected. [Wink]
(edit: Mom raised us attending plays and musicals, at least to my brother and I it came naturally. I just realized it might not have been the same for everyone if they didn't have that early exposure.)

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Smuckers, my remark was a little tongue in cheek. [Smile] Americans certainly have a shared literary heritage and an appreciation of the arts.
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now then, I learned that egy women are the worst rancour and hatred wagons on earth ...
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Smuckers, my remark was a little tongue in cheek. [Smile] Americans certainly have a shared literary heritage and an appreciation of the arts.

[Smile] Don't worry dear SWYS, I understood you. [Smile]
Now the one we DON'T understand is that Ozzy Osbourne guy over there. [Razz]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com