EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Honesty is the best policy - discuss....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Honesty is the best policy - discuss....
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 5 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A lot of additional pain and grief is caused by honesty" remarked Hercule Poirot.

I think this is true. And sometimes I think people deliberately set out to cause pain in the name of 'being honest'.

What does 'honesty' really mean?

Sometimes all parties can be telling the truth, but truth is always perceived through our own filters - of social mores, language, cultural interpretation, personal experience and so on - so one person's truth does not match that of another.

Is not telling someone something 'honest' or 'dishonest'? You may believe you have good reasons for withholding something - because you believe that to tell the person something about which they can do nothing and about which no blame is to be attached will cause them hurt. They believe you have been dishonest because you have not told them.

Is telling someone that 'you must accept that it was always this way' - perceived through your own filter - brutally honest, or not honest - because you weren't there and you don't know 100% for sure what was in the heads of the people concerned at the time.

We all operate from our own frame of reference and are astonished when we find someone else has an entirely different view of a matter.

Sometimes we witness an event and relay it to someone else with our own interpretation on top of it, but we are not privy to all the facts of the situation and have made a dreadful mistake of interpretion which we have now propagated - we truly believe we are being honest, but have now caused unnecessary pain because we were in fact wrong.

What is absolute truth?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt that many people in this world are 100% honest. I certainly don't know anyone who is.

Whilst the statement "A lot of additional pain and grief is caused by honesty" ...in my working life I would have to conclude the opposite but I understand what he is saying in that sometimes sparing somebody the truth may save them hurt.

My work requries me by law to actually report to the authorities any of my clients that are not being honest in their business dealing. So I have been in the unenviable position of having to report and then watching the devestation that follows and the effect it can have on whole families.

I have always found it hard in Egypt to cope with the general culture of lies and dishonesty and I have been on the receiving end of dishonesty from officals where you would expect the complete opposite, and have also been completely lied to by own lawyer where you would expect the client relationship was paramount. What I have to remind myself though is I have come across just as bad in the UK, I been lied to in my capacity as a company auditor and seen genaral dishonesty as a normal culture by clients in their businesses.

So SQ whatever absolute truth is I know 100% for sure it does not exist anywehere in the world.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an illness that if you ask me a question I will only ever answer with the truth. My memory is not goos enough to weave a web of lies.

I can always forgive a theif but never a liar!

The truth is always being manipulated and distorted by people to maximise their own rewards. Sadly, we live in a corrupt world led by meglomaniacs who are economic with the truth. Unfortunately they are colloquially known as 'World Leaders'

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CF - what is 'the truth' though?

Say someone asks you about a situation that you have SEEN. With your condition, do you simply answer with "I saw this, and then I saw that" and so all interpretion is in the mind of the listener, or do you answer with added interpretation?

Trying to think of an example.. ah - instead of saying "I saw Bloggs kiss Jane on the cheek" would you say "I saw Bloggs and Jane and they were definately more than just good friends?" because you might be from a culture where men and women do not kiss each other on the cheek unless they are in a romantic relationship, whereas Bloggs and Jane might be from a culture where a kiss on the cheek between people of opposite sexes with no implication of a romantic relationship is quite common (like certain parts of the UK for example)?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, no... with my autistic trait I would just simply indicate what I saw, describe in a neutral manner and let the receiver of the info interpret it! My butt is covered. [Big Grin]

The News for example interprets all scenarios in a way which suits their ethos, I therefore do not read the news or believe all I hear as it is the opinion of the journalist that is portraited.

I guess the truth overall is what you feel to be true! Thr truth is always within and if you cannot be 100% certain you should not declare what you feel is true to be true - i'm so confused lol...

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And slightly related - when I first came to Egypt I had problems with interpreting the behaviour of "well-brought up" muslim males. They will not make eye contact with women or shake hands with women.

With my English hat on, this by passes conscious thought processes and goes straight to the cultural bias that anyone who does not look you in the eye or shake your hand is untrustworthy, shifty, a liar. It took me some time (a) to understand where this feeling was coming from and (b) to try to overcome over 40 years of cultural background to accept that this interpretation of behaviour was incorrect.

In fact, before I left the megacorp I was working for in the UK, I talked to my HR manager about it and said that this was an unconscious cultural bias that we may be bringing in to the recruitment and discipline process - particularly if dealing with people who are from cultures where you should not look your boss in the eye because its disrespectful to do so is interpreted as 'insubordination' and 'disrespect' by English standards.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeema:
CF - what is 'the truth' though?
Trying to think of an example.. ah - instead of saying "I saw Bloggs kiss Jane on the cheek" would you say "I saw Bloggs and Jane and they were definately more than just good friends?" because you might be from a culture where men and women do not kiss each other on the cheek unless they are in a romantic relationship, whereas Bloggs and Jane might be from a culture where a kiss on the cheek between people of opposite sexes with no implication of a romantic relationship is quite common (like certain parts of the UK for example)?

Only the parties involved know the absolute truth.
Say you are missing some money and it could have been one of several people who stole it. How do you approach such a situation? Only the person who stole it knows the truth but you may have differing reasons for suspecting each person. If you ask an innocent party no matter how carefully they are going to be badly hurt by your unspoke acusation that they are a thief.
Chrysal balls would be wonderful!

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...is saying in that sometimes sparing somebody the truth may save them hurt....

You really think so? I think it is about being honest to yourself. Because in my opinion this often is about showing a part of yourself, that we don't like to show, and we don't like or fear the results or consequences of that honesty...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeema:
And slightly related - when I first came to Egypt I had problems with interpreting the behaviour of "well-brought up" muslim males. They will not make eye contact with women or shake hands with women.

With my English hat on, this by passes conscious thought processes and goes straight to the cultural bias that anyone who does not look you in the eye or shake your hand is untrustworthy, shifty, a liar. It took me some time (a) to understand where this feeling was coming from and (b) to try to overcome over 40 years of cultural background to accept that this interpretation of behaviour was incorrect.

In fact, before I left the megacorp I was working for in the UK, I talked to my HR manager about it and said that this was an unconscious cultural bias that we may be bringing in to the recruitment and discipline process - particularly if dealing with people who are from cultures where you should not look your boss in the eye because its disrespectful to do so is interpreted as 'insubordination' and 'disrespect' by English standards.

I know what scenario you are referring to B [Wink]

But I think that what we need to do is understand the culture of the country of which we are in. This is hard though because the person or persons we might meet might not be following their own cultural norms. We have to quickly distinguish who are and who are not according to the general consensus.
Also being a foreigner here we are allowed a certain amount of lea way. We are not expected to know straight away the culture of what is deemed respectable or disrespectful straight away.
But that is only temporary.
In time the people who know us will judge us on our behaviour. I mean the locals. The thing about Egypt is the Egyptians will rarely say anything. It is all whispered and inferred, so in fact you would not know anything about what they say or how they feel.

for example

Scenario

Foreign single female sitting in a cafe with 4 male both married and single Egyptian male friends having coffee, joking, chatting, and laughing. No romance involved at all. One guys offers her a cigarette and comments on her new hair do, and she tell him that she bought a new pair of trousers and she stands up to show them the trousers , do a twirl, then sits down again.

One of the men seems to be flirting with her. A slight touch to her hand as she accepts a cigarette from his.

Next table is Mr Omar. 58 year old married Egyptian man who lives in the next block to one of the men she is talking to.
This young man is single . Mr Omar and the guys dad are very good friends. The whole family are friends and neighbours.

What do you think is going through Mr Omars head as he watches and listens to the conversation and then as she gets up and one of the guys goes and she walks down the street with the other 3?

Mr Omar is a traditional Moslem man with 2 teenage daughters unmarried and 2 married sons, very moral man and quite religious. Known by the community as a good man.

Then imagine the exact same scenario in a cafe in Picadilly London. Mr Omar is Mr Murphy Irish Catholic builder.

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In common good is good and bad is bad in every country of the world. There are cultural differences but only in details, like that handshake and looking somebody in the eyes.
I think that nobody would change an opinion about somebody, when it's about details. The change opinion about something good or bad what's defenitly good or bad.
When you are a stranger in a culture, the person you're dealing with, will understand you're making mistakes out of ignorance, and they won't blame you for that, evenso they won't change their opinion about you.

In every relationship; friendship, family-relationships,m/f relationships, business relationships etc., we're having an opinion about the other, and usually we keep this for ourselves. When our opinion is positive we go on, and when it is negative, we try to avoid them or simply end the relationship.

Suppose you're having a positive opinion about a friend, and suddenly you happen to know a side from them you do not like. It depends on the level of badness what you're going to do with it, but suppose it was acceptable to you. Okay, it was bad, but everybody makes mistakes and perhaps circumstances made it this way. The positive opinion is changing a little bit to the negative, but you're still friends. When nothing happens after time, the level will be switched to positive again.
But suppose, you're hearing new badnesses. Two times, three times, it seems that your friend has a side you didn't know, which he hided for you.
You won't feel hurted, because you understand it's not something to be proud of, but it sure puts pressure on your friendship.
Your friend is hiding things for you, maybe he/she is even lying about it.
And in spite of the fact you've always liked your friend, now the table is turning. You're asking yourself if this is the person you want to be friends with.
And no matter how much you liked or loved the friend, conscience begins to speak.
Maybe you even happen to know the persons who became victims, because you've been that close to your friend. Maybe this victims are also friends... What then?

After all, your friend is defenitly not the person who he/she looks like for the outside world. What you're going to do with that? Stay friends with a person that is not real? In fact you're fooling yourself then...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Cheeky when i try on a pair of jeans remind me not to ask you if the jeans make me look fat cos the last answer i wanna hear is

"No your fat makes you look fat"

Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
MM, did I, or did I not, tell you when you got changed 83 times which clothes made you look good!!! If you said does this make me look fat, I would never be so nasty as to say yes but I would be nice as to say the others are more slimming [Smile]

My ex told me I don't sweat much for a fat lass!!! I love honesty, it makes me smile.

In the case of all the scenarios I think all the people outside the people in the cafe having a drink should mind their own business [Smile]

miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha true i did try on a fair few outfits. Ha ha you should see how long it takes me when i am in egypt cos everything i put on is shapless and horrid so it takes 20 outfits and 2 showers to get dressed.

Hence the reason he is an ex

Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by cheekyferret:

In the case of all the scenarios I think all the people outside the people in the cafe having a drink should mind their own business [Smile]

Wouldn't life be simpler if everyone could just mind their own business. Gosh don't people have enough to worry about without having to stick their noses in where it's not wanted. [Frown]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
In Egypt I take longer as I have to wear what is appropriate rather than what is comfortable!

Aw, he is an ex could he did sweat for a fat un lmao...

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by miffmiss:
haha true i did try on a fair few outfits. Ha ha you should see how long it takes me when i am in egypt cos everything i put on is shapless and horrid so it takes 20 outfits and 2 showers to get dressed.

Hence the reason he is an ex

In Egypt it can get so complicated constantly changing clothes in the day for the right thing appropriate for what you are about to do, even if it's only to go and buy a bunch of bananas. In the end it's easier to have some overshirts and just throw one on over your normal clothes when you go out.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Oh Penny, I swear to God, I hope I am not there when we go banana shopping. It took longer to get ready than we were actually out for.
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
haha ok ok i will try to get better.
I like the over shirt idea cos i live in little vest tops and when it cold i shove something baggy over. Shirts might work for me.

mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honesty is always what is best as for my opinion. The Imam that did our marriage stated that lying is one of the biggest offences in islam however, in the case of saving a marriage is allowed! I wanted to scream. I dont feel there should ever be a lie.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandsUpHandsDown
Member # 15410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HandsUpHandsDown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think tact is the best policy when dealing with honesty.
Posts: 246 | From: but one life to live | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com