EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Typical day of an Egyptian wife

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Typical day of an Egyptian wife
Churchlady
Member # 16445

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Churchlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone, I have been lurking for awhile and this is my first post so please be kind.

My daughter is engaged to marry an Egyptian man. She will be living with him in Egypt. He is Muslim and she is a Muslim convert.

What do you think her typical day will be like? I don't think she has a clue how restrictive and boring her life will be compared to her life in the U.S.

Posts: 66 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where in egypt will she be living?

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Churchlady
Member # 16445

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Churchlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She will be living in a suburb of Cairo.

--------------------
Church Lady

Posts: 66 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Restrictive and boring? Perhaps but not necessarily. And btw how do you know it will be boring or restrictive? I think we can give a million different ideas how her typical day WOULD be like but in reality it will be just guessing as we do not know either of them, your daughter or her husband. Do you know what they have agreed on the subject - that is what matters. It is normal thing for anyone to do before marrying (spouse foreigner or not but especially so if you move to another culture), discuss about what is expected.
Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as a spouse who's husband is coming next month.I would say I am prepared for life being complicated. He is going to find life very hard being away from his friends and family. I will have to change things in my life too. We will have to compromise on things. It'll be hard after the 'honeymoon' period wears off but we will try our best.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Its very hard to have a typical day, and I am sure she wont be restricted. Thats depends if her husband has a sudden change in character.
I am married to an egyptian who is muslim, i am not. We both work, run a home and daily school for the kids. I shop look after the house etc... On weekends, we go swimming, to the market and maybe have dinner out, Shabrawry or pizza....
I work with muslim women, who do all the things I do, but the difference in their day is that they pray and I don't. My husband and chidren go to the mosque together on friday.
We have friends visit, we visit friends. Culture wise its a bit more respectful etc.. but i do not find it tying.
It all depends, on your daughter and husband.

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am a convert married to an Egyptian Muslim in Egypt. My live is not restrictive or boring at all!!! But as others have said it all depends on the individuals concerned and these things should be discussed before she marries and moves out here, she needs to be aware of what her husband expects of her and he needs to be aware of what she expects of him, it works both ways.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adaptation to the new environment is hard, especially if she never stay or at least come to Eygpt before married.
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malak:
Thats depends if her husband has a sudden change in character.

That's what's happening many times. Right after marriage things become different, more restrictive.

Malak, I always thought you are Egyptian and Muslim. Where are you originally from??

Egyptmom, your daughter is a grown woman, she converted to Islam and decided to live with her new husband in Egypt. There is nothing you can do but wish her all the best and offer her help in need. It's her wish to live this kind of lifestyle; you need to respect that.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Thats depends if her husband has a sudden change in character.

That's what's happening many times. Right after marriage things become different, more restrictive.

Malak, I always thought you are Egyptian and Muslim. Where are you originally from??

Egyptmom, your daughter is a grown woman, she converted to Islam and decided to live with her new husband in Egypt. There is nothing you can do but wish her all the best and offer her help in need. It's her wish to live this kind of lifestyle; you need to respect that.

sweety thats with any man.. especially mexican men.. when ur dating its all fun and blah blah blah.. when u get married it goes down they think they own u...
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank god I stayed away from Egyptians and Mexicans (oops I never met one before I married my husband)!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh, you see TL, you never really know who are you are conversing with on the Internet.
Nope i am British, but I can hand on heart say I am a Shoubra girl!

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ahhh, you see TL, you never really know who are you are conversing with on the Internet.
Nope i am British, but I can hand on heart say I am a Shoubra girl!

thats is really so true....
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Culture Club:
Adaptation to the new environment is hard, especially if she never stay or at least come to Eygpt before married.

Good Lord,never even visited Egypt before then she's off to marry and live there? [Eek!]
She will seriously be facing a culture shock [Frown]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly this has been done before Sashyra.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:
If I remember correctly this has been done before Sashyra.

I don't doubt it,but i still find it [Eek!] !

I did it once,not for marrying,but on an abroad tour of duty i chose to do,i went to live to Panama,Central America,and seriously regreted my decision then because did'nt get to like the country. [Frown]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Churchlady
Member # 16445

Rate Member
She and I did visit Egypt for 2 weeks and she got engaged. Her fiance didn't want us to go out unless he was with us. Maybe he was just being protective since we didn't speak the language or know our way around. She will not work or go to school and will be home alone all day. She may take Arabic lessons so that will give her something to do. She is willing to adjust to his culture but I don't think she has a clue how hard this is going to be.

--------------------
Church Lady

malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptmom:
She and I did visit Egypt for 2 weeks and she got engaged. Her fiance didn't want us to go out unless he was with us. Maybe he was just being protective since we didn't speak the language or know our way around. She will not work or go to school and will be home alone all day. She may take Arabic lessons so that will give her something to do. She is willing to adjust to his culture but I don't think she has a clue how hard this is going to be.

Hi Egyptmom.... when she arrives if she gets stuck then dont mind her contacting for a chat, catch up or coffee, sometimes it helps to lighten the load when you have a friend outside the family.
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice idea Malak [Smile]
Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptmom:
She will not work or go to school and will be home alone all day.

Good that she knows that already upfront. So one less bad surprise.

Please advise her not to become pregnant within the first 24 or 36 months and try to adapt to the different culture and husband. Without a baby she'll always have the option to leave if things don't turn out the way she expected them to be.

Although I am pretty sure the first thing what he's gonna want from her is a child. She needs to be the wiser one.

Good luck and hang in there. Be there for your daughter. I know you worry very much about her.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
I did it once,not for marrying,but on an abroad tour of duty i chose to do,i went to live to Panama,Central America,and seriously regreted my decision then because did'nt get to like the country. [Frown]

My husband went there for training many moons ago. But he didn't see anything from the country besides the jungle - and he didn't like it either lol!! [Wink]
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went after marriage of 9 yrs in USA and it is quite hard to adjust. It isn't all bad but it takes a certain personality and patience and open ness to abdapt..being newlyweds helps. I like the advice not to have a child right off.
You are alone allot if she is a homebody she will adjust fine. Bring books, tapes, movies and a hobby with you.
It really does depend on their discussions and love and expectations. Good LUck!

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com