EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Would you risk your life for a dream?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would you risk your life for a dream?
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read a lovely article today in the news about a 71 year old Japanese man who climbed Mount Everest. It is evident that this was something that was on his mind and heart for some time.

Is there something you think about doing that is arduously challenging whether psychically or mentally?

I have one:

Skydiving: I have always wanted to sky dive for as long as I could remember but I have never been able to muster enough courage to train for such a terrifying jump.

Simply put I am chicken **** when it comes to such elevation. Suppose I freak out and forget to pull the lever. Suppose I pass out during the decent. I have several issues but I want to do it. What’s worse are those god damn home videos that I unfortunately saw of skydivers hitting the ground with out opening their chute. So I'm also afraid of the technical aspect(failure) of a parachute too.

This 71 year old did it despite knowing 212 people died trying to reach the top of Mt. Everest.

Humanity is wonderful.

Is there anything you desire that involves risking your life?

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, 71 is not super-old, but I might be swayed to sky dive at a ripe old age, myself. After all, you aren't cheating fate *that* much at such an advanced age if something goes wrong. [Wink]

I wanted to sky dive when I was in college, and would have done it, no problem, but it was $125 a jump back then and I couldn't afford it.

Now, I could pay for it, but am absolutely too scared to do it.

I can't really think of anything I want to do that badly that somehow involved physical danger. My dreams are stuff like learning to play the violin, or jazz piano, or writing a book. Low-risk stuff like that. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin - Bokra Fil Mish Mish:
Well, 71 is not super-old, but I might be swayed to sky dive at a ripe old age, myself. After all, you aren't cheating fate *that* much at such an advanced age if something goes wrong. [Wink]

I wanted to sky dive when I was in college, and would have done it, no problem, but it was $125 a jump back then and I couldn't afford it.

Now, I could pay for it, but am absolutely too scared to do it.

I can't really think of anything I want to do that badly that somehow involved physical danger. My dreams are stuff like learning to play the violin, or jazz piano, or writing a book. Low-risk stuff like that. [Big Grin]

Hmmm. I think your decision is sound. So tell me you don’t think about skydiving any more?
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a big fan of death, and even less a fan of watching death approach and not being able to do jack **** about it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
I'm not a big fan of death, and even less a fan of watching death approach and not being able to do jack **** about it. [Big Grin]

Thank you for adding more to my plate [Big Grin] I bet I will end up learning an instrument too [Razz]
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

Thank you for adding more to my plate [Big Grin] I bet I will end up learning an instrument too [Razz]
Careful, those violins can be a real bitch. Broken strings and stuff that hit you in the eye. [Cool]
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went skydiving back in college with a group I was involved in called "Nature Bound"
We were required to do a "static line" jump where the chute opens itself. You have to do 7 of those before you can actually start jumping freefall. Of course if there is a problem you must know what to do and will have to open the chute yourself. I actually wanted to take up this sport but it can get very expensive.

I can honestly say this was probably one of the best things I have ever done for myself. Yes, I was terrified but I gained so much confidence from doing this.
I have always been somewhat of a thrillseeker anyway but now I can't think of much of anything I wouldn't at least try once.

It's actually a lot of fun IF you can get over the fear. My instructor kept telling me "If you can do this, you can do anything. You can call yourself a winner." And he was right. For me skydiving has made it so much easier to face the "tough" things that life can sometimes throw at us.

--------------------
"And in the end, the love we take will be equal to the love we make."
~The Beatles~

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

OK, I just read something that said about 35 people die each year out of 3 million jumps. Too high for me. [Big Grin]

But more power to you, foreignluvr. Sadly, I've developed more fears about things as I've grown older. At 18, I was fearless. Now I *despise* flying in a jet plane (small aircraft are fine, I don't know why). Which really makes one of my great loves - travel - a bit difficult at times. [Big Grin]

nelle
Member # 11016

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say go for it, whatever IT is. Have no regrets and check off the things on your "to do list". I went skydiving a few years ago. It wasn't terrifying. I would do it again. Hint: wear warm clothing and gloves. The temperature is very cold at 14,000 ft altitude and yes the people on the ground DO look like ants. Anyway, have as much fun as you can find.
Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dream I would risk my life for is rather confidential: let me just say that it has to do with secret operations of a group of dedicated people to remove the less dedicated but highly poisonous to masses individuals off the face of our Mother Earth. [Wink]

Ps. It has nothing to do with my long-lasting position as an ES Assassin - that is my well paid job and quite openly advertised as well. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travellady
Member # 13378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travellady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all of you sissies out there (me too), there is something called a "tandem" jump. You are strapped to an experienced skydiver who will remember to pull the cords for you. But if the shute doesn't open, at least you won't die alone.
Posts: 117 | From: Kuwait | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dreams are not life risking...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

errrr….. the members that answered thank you but what method of suicide would you prefer [Razz]

travellady the tandem jump sounds definitely doable [Smile]

When it’s all said and done I’ll probably be playing “oh when the saints come marching in” on a saxophone [Big Grin]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 14 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me kickin@ss @ 71

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLxfAVIGof8

[Embarrassed] )

Pretty Good [Smile]

Korven.
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korven.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
The dream I would risk my life for is rather confidential: let me just say that it has to do with secret operations of a group of dedicated people to remove the less dedicated but highly poisonous to masses individuals off the face of our Mother Earth. [Wink]

Ps. It has nothing to do with my long-lasting position as an ES Assassin - that is my well paid job and quite openly advertised as well. [Big Grin]

You are so Beautiful [Big Grin]
Posts: 1167 | From: Homelandless | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough i'm going to jump on the band wagon [Roll Eyes] and admit i always wanted to sky dive....But i wanted a group of us (my mates) to do it for a charity.... [Wink] but none had the guts at the time....

Then came a amusement park ride....it was classed as a free fall...Basically u are seated your taken up god knows how many feet [Eek!] and dropped [Eek!] [Eek!]
U completely come off the seat and are only held in place by the bar across your chest (u shaped) It was the most horrifing thing i ever did !! But i admit i did it twice Out of sheer bravery in front of my mates kids who wanted a go!! Stupid me !!
It was terrifing ! that took my breath away ! seriously i could not breathe albeit for 6 secs [Big Grin] but after i did feel great for doing it but i said never again !!!

I can only imagine now doing it for real at 14,000 feet when i was only as high as a 10 floor block [Roll Eyes]

Bringing me on to suicide.............

RE; that ride and falling....
I also know what it felt like for those sad guys that decide death is better than life and jump off the 10th fl, of my flats !!! I could'nt do it i'm as much a chicken as anyone....But my one fear is to be eaten by a shark !!

Sorry for essay x

Posts: 634 | From: the Moon........... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com