EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Ear Piercing for babies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ear Piercing for babies
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 5 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How young can a baby be to get her ears pierced?
My neighbor says most in Egypt do it about 2 weeks of age but my in-laws think we should wait a few more weeks.
What is your opinion?

Thanks.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don`t. I think it is something weird, a baby wth earrings...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's more traditional here, to do it young, it is also the same tradition in the mexican culture so it isn't so taboo for me, I just wondered if anyone knew what the norm was here. [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did my daughter at 3 months but that was in the UK I think they do them younger here.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairogirl
Member # 1437

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might help you decide:

http://www.babiesonline.com/articles/baby/piercingbabysears.asp

Other websites say its better to wait until 3-5 months though.

Good luck with the new baby whatever you decide.

Posts: 49 | From: egypt | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Smuck,

In the states you have to wait until the baby gets the first set of immunizations. I mean this is what the ear piercing places do...they need to see the immunization record. In Egypt, I understand some do it the day they are born by the doctor or nurse. That is how my sister-in-law has done it with her girls. [Smile]

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shalik
Member # 13681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shalik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE EARLIER THE BETTER SO SHE DOESNT TUG THEM gosh caps again sorry i honestly dont pay attention!!!!!!!

--------------------
shalik

Posts: 76 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't want to give advice on the question 'when' ... but just want to say ; you can't take the earrings out the first six weeks. My little girl's ears were reddish and festering (? i am not sure about this word) after 3 or 4 weeks, so I took them out and disinfected her ears. Two or 3 days later I wanted to put them in again, and the holes had closed [Frown] Now she has to wait some time before she can have her little ears pierced again ...
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiselmonkey
Member # 13683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiselmonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so gypsy
Posts: 102 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissJambi
Member # 13261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissJambi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can have it done anytime...some hospitals will do it like a day after delivery.
thats what i had done.

Posts: 229 | From: florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had mine pierced as an infant, I was just trying to get a feel from Egyptians when the usual time is that they do it here.
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get it? It might be cultural, but don't you think its cruel?
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audbod
Member # 12901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for audbod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my daughters ears pierced at 6 weeks.No problems.
Posts: 209 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by soozi:
I don't get it? It might be cultural, but don't you think its cruel?

Oh good Lord... [Roll Eyes]
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?

I had my ears pierced, and they gave me hell (allergy, that nobody could have expected). I don't see why you would want to put a baby through that?

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shalik
Member # 13681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shalik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH MY GOD IT DOESNT EVEN HURT?????????!!!!!!!

--------------------
shalik

Posts: 76 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
So it didn't hurt you, but it hurt me - who knows which catagory your small baby girl will fall into?

And as ????? says, earrings in babies are wierd! What is wrong with as nature intended?

murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe if its what u want for your girl...to have ears pierced...then the younger the better.Cos when a baby is very young it will forget the pain very quickly and not play with the ears whilst they heal, as older kids do.
I had mine done at 10 yrs old and it hurt bad !!! My daughter i waited till she was 7 but after 2 weeks her ears got infected because unbeknown to me the studs were not pure gold(as i had asked !) but plated !! Cos I know i am allergic to most metals,i presumed she must be too. Also we found out she had psoriasis (after) and it would not let them heal correctly so they had to be taken out. So the pain was for nothing ! [Frown] [Frown]
But maybe she will want to try again this year?? [Wink]
This time i will make sure the studs/earrings are pure gold or silver i believe is best, if a kid's skin reacts to these its not ment to have earrings . But she is now at an age to choose for herself. [Big Grin]

Posts: 634 | From: the Moon........... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you know it doesn't hurt the baby - have you asked him/her? Did he/she cry or not?

I simply love earrings but have an allergy to anything except pure gold, and all the jangly bright coloured ones are usually metal and they hurt and irritate after wearing them for only half hour.

Personally, I dont like to see babies and young kids with ears pierced, it makes them too grown up, what next, belly buttons pierced and tattoes, make up, ? Kids grow up too quickly as is it ....

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yana
Member # 11508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was 2 years when i had my ears pierced... it was painful, though fun after [Wink]
Posts: 311 | From: Armenia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I asked my baby if she wanted her ears pierced and she smiled. There, we're piercing them. [Big Grin]
sawny
Member # 11224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sawny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently discussed baby pierccing with my husband, we are expecting our first daughter in August, he was defintely up for infant piercing rather than waiting.
Posts: 66 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissNoor
Member # 12549

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissNoor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ay que cute smucks!!! I have five girls and I have two granddaughters and I pierced them asp so the sooner the better.
Posts: 446 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Yes, as I was saying the Latin tradition seems to follow the Egyptian traditions quite a bit. I had mine pierced as an infant and I'm glad I don't remember it. I'm sure I cried when it happened but like I care now, right? [Big Grin]
Well, we have decided to get them pierced next week, she will be a month old. [Smile]
Thanks for everyones input. [Smile]

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laila will look beautiful anyway - with or without!!! [Smile]
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alexandra21
Member # 13100

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexandra21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ear piercing for 1 month old baby? For what? only for decoration? unnecessary suffering
Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Yes hon,I want her to suffer...it builds character. [Roll Eyes]
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
throw the latin n the egy tradition in the trash [Smile]
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Yes hon,I want her to suffer...it builds character. [Roll Eyes]

u should say she wants u 2 suffer it build the character

hey smucky i posted this thread for u n snoozin but sound like no1 have seen it

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003262;p=1#000000

[Smile]

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I read it batty, it's a nice article, thanks. [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com