EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Online friendships

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Online friendships
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To follow up on a thought proposed by desertgirl, the idea of online romances as opposed to online friendships, I would like to hear views from people on friendships they have formed online.

I have formed quite a few, some have come and gone, some didn't really amount to much, but I have about a handful that I have kept in touch with and whom I consider extremely important to me (a couple of which are from ES and still here). I have met up with a couple of people when they visited Egypt and I look forward to hearing from them and we support each other and I care for them a lot.

I know from personal experience that online friendships can certainly blossom as well as online romances but it does seem that we will accept an online friendship easier than the romance.

I would like to hear from others on their experiences with online friendships, any horror stories and any nice stories where the friendship has been mutually beneficial.

[Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've met a couple of people from this board and others that I consider very good friends. I think the reason they're such good friends is similar to the reason in the online relationship thread....when you talk online you tend to let out a lot more than you would in person. I would not have shared a LOT of things with these friends had we not met online.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What`s the definition of a friend? In my opinion there are a lot of different friendships; it depends on the kind of relationship between the two. You can have sportsfriends, friends to go out, friends to make fun, and a very small number of real friends, the ones who are there for you for years and years, whenever you need them or they need you.
The last one, to me, it`s very difficult to consider a online friendship as a real friendship. It has to feel closer. Meet regularry. Knowing all about each other, Families, work, children, etc...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doodlebug, I have had the same experiences. I feel much more comfortable online to reveal things, discuss things, just be myself. I'm a pretty shy person face to face, and the online relationship of sharing things affords some privacy and control.

????? I agree with you in a sense, however; meeting a friend online can turn into a lifelong friend that you can turn to and they can turn to you whenever the need arises. I think this type of friendship is difficult to find anywhere.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry's Sandra
Member # 13539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry's Sandra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have few on-line friends that are worth keeping. Two of them I met here in ES. How I wish I would be able to keep them for a lifetime. It would really be good to meet them for real, but knowing that they are just a click away when you need them most, I couldn't ask for more. A friend is a treasure when they are close to your heart regardless of the distance. However, I was once terribly sad and worried when one of my on-line friends was suddenly gone without knowing a reason or having a clue. Until now, it keeps me worrying and wondering, is he dead? But wherever he may be, I am still grateful that I once met him in my lifetime. As they say, some friends come and go but it doesn't mean you stop loving them as friends especially if they have touched your life [Smile]
Posts: 53 | From: somewhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I typed a whole page to give my opinion ... but I notice now it was not sent [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tilutine
Member # 12661

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tilutine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was younger I had many penfriends, and I have kept in touch with them for years. Long regular letters, it was so good, so much better than emails! But the relationship was the same -they were people I had never met -I only met two of them, two wonderful girls I'm still in touch with. Other penfriends moved, some letters got lost, or life made that we lost contact.
I do have a foreign friend I met online a few years ago, from a forum. We have never met, we have talked on phone a lot, but strangely, I was abroad when he came oversea, and vice-versa, so we never made it! But we email each other daily. He's always there when I need him, always listening to me. Much more patient than my "real life" friends. He's just great.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, i have also met great friends on line
, and i ve met some and i think they are great, we have so much more in common,
When you meet some one like here on this forum, you really , have the same intersts, i dont find that with no one, around , me here where i live

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cyberspace opens up the opportunities of meeting people in places far and exotic we would otherwise never have. Also - its anonimity allows sometimes to explore the minds of our close neighbours. I met some dear friends online - also on ES. Hope they consider me as such as well... [Smile]
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont really have many friends in real, only 2 and they lived out of city from me since I moved to my parents. So when I feel need a friend to 'chit-chat' I log in yahoo messanger or at this forums. It's very easy to have fun. [Smile]
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i do karah_mia [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoumSoum
Member # 13769

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoumSoum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have another aspect of online friendship especialy in ES.

I dont write alot, as i find myself more to experss myself verbally/written in arabic or french.

for me i enjoy reading your thoughts, your funny replies.

I know it is not mutual relationship, meanwhile it is better than nothing.

--------------------
3amou3a

Posts: 15 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locale
Member # 12632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for locale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have quite a few friendships that started out online that are very important to me. Previous posters were right in saying that the net gives you opportunities to meet people with interests closer to yours. I've found this to be true with me. One of my best friends is someone I met online 6 years ago.
Posts: 210 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com